Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

The snow falling off stuff is hypnotic.

The lone wheel rolling off to nowhere is very bugs bunny. I feel Yosemite Sam should jump out of the cab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hanales posted:

The lone wheel rolling off to nowhere is very bugs bunny. I feel Yosemite Sam should jump out of the cab.

consarnit!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Ooohhhhh I hate that exploding tire.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just shoot it and it won't hurt you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He wasn't even supposed to be there. He was supposed to turn left at Albuquerque.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Florida man crushed to death by pallets of mushrooms

quote:

A Florida man was crushed to death by pallets of mushrooms on Monday night.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, 45-year-old Bruce Edward Stephenson Jr. was moving the pallets at Monterey Mushrooms Inc. with a forklift when they began swaying. He jumped off, but didn't escape before they fell on top of him, an Orange County Sheriff's Office report stated.

Monterey Mushroom was levied a $6,000 fine in December for the violation of exposing employees to fall hazards by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA said in its report that the violation was "likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees,” according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Jeannie Economos, health and safety coordinator for the Farm Workers Association of Florida, said she has heard of complaints about Monterey Mushrooms for years.

"I'm extremely upset, especially when Monterey Mushrooms is so big and making tons of money and they can't have safe conditions for their workers," Economos told the Orlando Sentinel.

The incident is under investigation.

Yeah a $6,000 fine will definitely deter violations "likely to cause death or serious harm to employees." Apparently if he had just stayed in the cab he probably would have lived though.

I involuntarily laughed at their choice of accompanying news image:

"In case you forgot what mushrooms look like, here's the mugshot."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

$6k fine in OSHA Land's huge. That's their "fix it before someone dies" penalty. Repeated/willful fines go up dramatically past that, though.

They raised it to like 13k in August.

What I'm saying here is OSHA lacks teeth.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Florida man crushed to death by pallets of mushrooms

Yeah a $6,000 fine will definitely deter violations "likely to cause death or serious harm to employees." Apparently if he had just stayed in the cab he probably would have lived though.

I involuntarily laughed at their choice of accompanying news image:

"In case you forgot what mushrooms look like, here's the mugshot."

What a moron. Should I just stay on the forklift that has a huge cage on top, or jump off where theres no protection. Hmmmmmm its a real dilemma.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

JB50 posted:

What a moron. Should I just stay on the forklift that has a huge cage on top, or jump off where theres no protection. Hmmmmmm its a real dilemma.
I dunno, without strong training otherwise I think a lot of people's first instinct is to bail out. People don't make logical, rational decisions when there's only a split second to react.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wobbly overloaded pallets are great fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjcSRr65b6M

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

I dunno, without strong training otherwise I think a lot of people's first instinct is to bail out. People don't make logical, rational decisions when there's only a split second to react.

Well he definitely wont make that mistake again.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Anony Mouse posted:

This is exactly the reason for forklift seat belts. It's not to protect the rider in case of a collision, most of them don't move fast enough for that to be a real concern. It's to keep people from panicking and jumping out into the path of danger, because in like 99% or accidents involving forklifts (really any kind of heavy equipment), the safest place to be is sitting in the forklift. Whether it's the forklift tipping over, or a whole bunch of boxes falling on it, or crashing into something else, the absolute worst place to be is immediately beside it, and yet most people's first instinct is to jump exactly there.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
When I got forklift trained, they gave me online training with several pictures of "this guy tried to get out of the cage as the forklift was tipping/had stuff falling on it. He didn't make it." And all you could see was a 14ft puddle of red across the cement.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Avenging_Mikon posted:

When I got forklift trained, they gave me online training with several pictures of "this guy tried to get out of the cage as the forklift was tipping/had stuff falling on it. He didn't make it." And all you could see was a 14ft puddle of red across the cement.

Same. You brace your hands on the wheel and ride it out. The only issue is if you roll off a dock. The cage won't save you. I had a dude that worked for me whose uncle was killed by tipping a fork truck off the loading dock and was crushed. 8,000 lbs has no forgiveness.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

DrBouvenstein posted:

^ ^ ^ No hardhat! Violation! ^ ^ ^

MedicalDeviceSafety.txt

Seriously, pretty much every safety feature, alarm, interlock, lockout, etc... on any medical device is there because at some point in the device's history, some nurse/doctor/patient/patient's family member/janitor/random looky-loo hit a button they weren't supposed to, or turned something off that should be on, or on that should be off, etc...

One of my specialties was anesthesia machines, and basically every generation in the past few decades has had a new safety feature that at some point engineers and doctors said wasn't needed because "That's not necessary! The anesthesiologist knows what he's doing!

Things like...t

The knob to control Oxygen flow has to be both larger and have different knurling than the knobs for nitrous oxide and air. This is because on at least one occasion, a doctor was looking at something else, either the patient, or a life signs monitor (or a magazine), and just started turning the knob up to increase O2. But it was nitrous, and the patient was injured or died.

Speaking of, the flow of nitrous oxide now has to have a physical connection in some way to the flow of O2. The ratio can never more more than 3 to 1 O2 to N20. This is because once (possibly multiple times) doctors increased the nitrous flow too much and the patients didn't get enough O2 and were injured or died.

why / for what is nitrous even used nowadays. when i asked my dentist why it's not used over here anymore she laughed and said something along the lines of "we're not in the 1950s we have local powerful anaesthetics now"

and in hospital, they typically use propofol or midazolam to make you fall asleep afaik, depending on the type of procedure.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 13, 2016

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's very common, mainly just for kids too young for local anesthesia.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

oh is that what that's supposed to have meant

because gravity acts at c

The speed gravity itself moves at only matters when its pull is changing. The Earth's been sitting around for billions of years with the same pull. If its gravity moved at one foot per second, you wouldn't notice any difference. Anywhere you go, the gravity is already there.

Das Butterbrot posted:

why / for what is nitrous even used nowadays. when i asked my dentist why it's not used over here anymore she laughed and said something along the lines of "we're not in the 1950s we have local powerful anaesthetics now"

and in hospital, they typically use propofol or midazolam to make you fall asleep afaik, depending on the type of procedure.

They used it while taking care of a minor cavity on me a couple years ago. It was more convenient than numbing. :shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's fairly common for even minor dental work, it's more about helping people with anxiety than pain.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nitrous is also pretty cool to do in general so you might as well catch a buzz while the guy drills and fills your cavity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dentist nitrous seems to have fallen out of popularity because of drug panic making people scared of becoming druggies by going to the dentist. Its not like novocaine was a recent discovery. With drug liberalization, you're starting to see a lot of dentist offices advertising they'll give you nitrous for whatever procedure you want because who doesn't want to laugh a bit at the dentist.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

British_superiority.jpeg

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

That's one way to change a tire.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

pookerbug posted:

That's one way to change a tire.

One Neat Trick for Instant De-Icing! The Government Hates It!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://imgur.com/AqUM5E4?r

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

zedprime posted:

Dentist nitrous seems to have fallen out of popularity because of drug panic making people scared of becoming druggies by going to the dentist. Its not like novocaine was a recent discovery. With drug liberalization, you're starting to see a lot of dentist offices advertising they'll give you nitrous for whatever procedure you want because who doesn't want to laugh a bit at the dentist.

This is just anecdotal, but growing up I was fine with nitrous, but now in my 30s the dentist tried it on me for free because I was having a bit of a panic - and it made it worse. I felt awful and had to leave and re-schedule. I think that poo poo has different effects depending on age.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Was this is a demonstration of what not to do? It seems like everyone was watching and videotaping.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Markoff Chaney posted:

This is just anecdotal, but growing up I was fine with nitrous, but now in my 30s the dentist tried it on me for free because I was having a bit of a panic - and it made it worse. I felt awful and had to leave and re-schedule. I think that poo poo has different effects depending on age.

Or your dentist gave you the Paranoia Gas. It's easy to mix up with Nitrous.

Your dentist is The Scarecrow.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Nitrous affects people differently. Some people get as high as a kite and giggly; other people feel like crying or feel unwell.

It's in common medical use, especially by ambulance crews, and in emergency and maternity cases, because it's fast-acting, has few contra-indications and is safe for higer-risk patients. Dentists are less likely to use it because several of them killed their patients by forgetting to also pump Oxygen into the mask. It's not a bad way to go compared to some of the deaths in this thread, but a slightly excessive way to treat a cavity.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I've mostly seen it used for actual oral surgery rather than dentistry, stuff where knocking you out would be overkill but local probably wouldn't cut it.

Though considering I appear to have a great resistance to novocaine and I would loving love nitrous to be more commonly available. Ask me about getting several crowns without effective anesthesia. :geno:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Doesn't anaesthetic in general have that variable effect? I remember the only time I had general when I woke up I had a bit of a freakout. My old boss had a general and apparently when he woke up he started getting violent so they just knocked his rear end out again.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hell yeah resistant to anesthesia bros. I always have to tell people to stick me again because the first time never takes. Like when I had to get stitches after slicing off the tip of my thumb. Does proper knife use in the home count as OSHA material?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lemon posted:

Doesn't anaesthetic in general have that variable effect? I remember the only time I had general when I woke up I had a bit of a freakout. My old boss had a general and apparently when he woke up he started getting violent so they just knocked his rear end out again.

Pretty much all medicine is like that! That's why there are 10 different meds that do the "same" thing, because some people react a certain way to 1, but not the same to another.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lemon posted:

Also the line between "knocked out" and "dead" is a lot thinner than most people realize. Remember the time Russian special forces killed over a hundred people in a hostage crisis with knockout gas?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Lemon posted:

Was your boss ex-military? It's called "emergence delirium". For a small percentage of patients, mostly middle-aged men with military experience, their immediate reaction to finding themselves disoriented and surrounded by unfamiliar people in a strange room is to start ripping out IV lines and punching people in the face. When this happens they re-sedate the patient and try to bring them out again. The patient usually doesn't remember anything that happened.

PCP had a higher rate of emergence delirium. Ketamine was initially pitched as PCP but without the risk of the patient waking up crazy.
edit:

Das Butterbrot posted:

Midazolam does not make you fall asleep. You are fully awake, you just can't form new memories. American (and only American) anesthesiologists roofie every patient with midazolam before rolling them into the OR because anesthesiologists have collectively decided Americans are pussies who can't handle seeing the inside of an OR. Propofol is routinely used for inducing anesthesia and can make you lose consciousness.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 13, 2016

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Guy buys his own Titan missile silo, pops it open for the first time in decades and goes exploring:

(I'll let him set it up, the whole video is horrifying. or skip to about 17 mins to see why training for confined spaces is important)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpYFtI0nqU&t=152s

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Rental company came out at the end of last week to address an issue with a man-lift. The stop button functions to kill engine power, but you are unable to restart the engine from the basket.

This was their solution.

My engine stop button is now the ground guy killing it with a key. Refused that one.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

Was your boss ex-military? It's called "emergence delirium". For a small percentage of patients, mostly middle-aged men with military experience, their immediate reaction to finding themselves disoriented and surrounded by unfamiliar people in a strange room is to start ripping out IV lines and punching people in the face. When this happens they re-sedate the patient and try to bring them out again. The patient usually doesn't remember anything that happened.

This happened to my ex-step-brother-in-law when he wrecked his bike. Came out of anesthesia swinging punches and ripping his IVs out. He wasn't ex-military but he did turn out to be an abusive, child beating sack of poo poo.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've posted about it before but the book Command and Control killed any interest I ever had in buying a missile silo. It's pretty terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, but by all accounts he was a fairly feisty chap back then. What you said pretty much describes what he told me, down to not remembering it himself.