Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

you irl posted:

you know what they say about guys with big shoes ;)

"That guy probably has big feet"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He's more likely to rob a convenience store in hopes of framing his boss?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

you irl posted:

you know what they say about guys with big shoes ;)

they are inadequately protected by osha regulations on alternating tread stairs

Their significant other always tripping over them at home?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Powered Descent posted:

Sincerely,
    someone who wears size 13 clown shoes

I wear a size 16, story of my loving life. I've learned the best place the gets the most traction is generally is the forefoot, so you can to try to get as much of your toes onto stairs made for Chinese little feet women and grip with them.

I also have a really big :dong:

oohhboy posted:

It is also amazing the amount of sewer gas that accumulated there. Anyone heard where the manhole cover went?

The manhole cover that got shot out up at Escape velocity definitely made it to space, but it then fell back to Earth and probably burned up as it was falling.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

A White Guy posted:

The manhole cover that got shot out up at Escape velocity definitely made it to space, but it then fell back to Earth and probably burned up as it was falling.

wouldn't it burn up on the way out?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

you irl posted:

wouldn't it burn up on the way out?

Considering it moving at no less six times the velocity necessary to leave Earth's gravity well, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it vaporized in the atmosphere.

I like to believe to made it to space :colbert:.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I prefer to believe that Wan Hu existed, and that pieces of his body and/or chair made it to space, because the alternative is that the drat Nazis were the first to send an object across the Kármán Line.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL, wrong manhole cover. It's ok, had a good laugh.

It possible the nuke cover made it out, since it is moving so fast it doesn't spend much time in the atmosphere since it when straight up with so much speed so it might not heat up enough to destroy it. At 30Km per second it would have left the lower limit of our atmosphere in 3 seconds. It would leave the thickest part in 2/3 of a second. I say it got out.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
http://io9.gizmodo.com/no-a-nuclear-explosion-did-not-launch-a-manhole-cover-1715340946

apparently the guy doing the math that came up with "6 times escape velocity" didn't account for air or gravity because he wasn't actually interested in what the cover would do, just what the blast would do.

also this was a 900 kg metal cap welded to the shaft, that's a hell of a manhole cover!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

Are there any OSHA regulations about making steps long enough to accommodate an actual human foot? It's not a problem going up, but I've lost count of the times I've slid down a few steps while going down, since my options are basically "turn foot 60 degrees to the side" or "put all your weight on your heel because the front half of your foot is sticking out into space".

Sincerely,
    someone who wears size 13 clown shoes

I feel your pain clown shoe buddy (Size 13 fo lyfe!).

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At 3~6 times escape velocity gravity doesn't have a chance to react, so it is safe to leave that out. We don't know how air reacts at that speed, it could have very well formed a bubble of air formed by air that literally had no chance to get out of the way like a conventional sonic boom protecting it.

If there was a force that would destroy it, it would have been the spinning causing it to fly apart. It most certainly would have spun.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oohhboy posted:

At 3~6 times escape velocity gravity doesn't have a chance to react

um

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

What the gently caress is happening there?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

North Korean nuclear missile launch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s phrased poorly, but the point is sound.

An object going straight up loses 9.8 m/s of velocity every second, at altitude zero.

If you go up 130 km in just two seconds, you lose less than 0.015% of your speed. That rounds to nothing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It is still only decelerating due to gravity at 10m/s at ground level vs 30~60Km/s. It is why rockets don't just slowly push their way up. You go as fast as possible to you spend less time fighting gravity. You still need to satisfy Ep=MGH, but if you have escape velocity that energy has already been covered.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Platystemon posted:

If your feet are no longer than 11″, yes.

"hey joe how big is a foot?" "'bout 11 inches i think"

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It looks like he's igniting methane gas through a hole in the cover.

Unless it's the annual Con Ed steam explosion.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The sewer is saying "Here, let me take your coat for you."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whoosh happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

As I understand it: With the manhole sealed, the gas/oxygen balance in the pipe is poor, so the gas can only burn slowly. The combustion produces enough pressure to lift the manhole a few feet into the air. Once the hole is uncapped, air floods the pipe until the balance rises to the point where a much more rapid reaction becomes possible, and since there's already a fire going that happens instantly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Platystemon posted:

It’s phrased poorly, but the point is sound.

An object going straight up loses 9.8 m/s of velocity every second, at altitude zero.

If you go up 130 km in just two seconds, you lose less than 0.015% of your speed. That rounds to nothing.

oh is that what that's supposed to have meant

because gravity acts at c

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

same. Guess I'm not the only one who grew up using Stihl chainsaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DltGxhWwES4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nomad2020 posted:

Dear forum users,

When I swan dive down the stairs at work it makes my head hurt, how should I bring up this faulty stair design at the next safety meeting.

Sincerely,
Concussed

About 30 years ago the Victorian (Australian) state parliament house had to install new handrails on the main marble stairs because political reporters, during late sessions, had taken to getting drunk and "ottering" headfirst down the foot-wide railing and several had come off the end at very hight speeds and hosed up very expensive works of art. And pot plants. And the walls. And themselves.

Things came to a head when certain career politicians were alleged to have started doing it as well during breaks from their late night sittings. I'm guessing the politicians and reporters took turns flying down the railings in a "I'll keep silent if you keep silent" gentlemen's agreement which ended up with several people hospitalised with everything from concussions to broken legs and arms.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

haveblue posted:

As I understand it: With the manhole sealed, the gas/oxygen balance in the pipe is poor, so the gas can only burn slowly. The combustion produces enough pressure to lift the manhole a few feet into the air. Once the hole is uncapped, air floods the pipe until the balance rises to the point where a much more rapid reaction becomes possible, and since there's already a fire going that happens instantly.

Also, IIRC, the reason it explodes in the first place is because he was being stupid and dropping a firecracker into a small opening at the top of the manhole.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
poo poo, narrow steps are the worst and I wear a 7.5 women's. The stairs to the second story of my home are only fit for small children. They are also polished wood. :negative:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah once it's started acting but you gotta take into account reaction speed, input lag, monitor refresh rate, etc..

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

About 30 years ago the Victorian (Australian) state parliament house had to install new handrails on the main marble stairs because political reporters, during late sessions, had taken to getting drunk and "ottering" headfirst down the foot-wide railing and several had come off the end at very hight speeds and hosed up very expensive works of art. And pot plants. And the walls. And themselves.

Things came to a head when certain career politicians were alleged to have started doing it as well during breaks from their late night sittings. I'm guessing the politicians and reporters took turns flying down the railings in a "I'll keep silent if you keep silent" gentlemen's agreement which ended up with several people hospitalised with everything from concussions to broken legs and arms.

:australia:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

It's still phrased weirdly because by definition escape velocity is the minimum speed you have to go to not get pulled back down by gravity doing gravity things

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ No hardhat! Violation! ^ ^ ^

ChickenHeart posted:

That said, a decent chunk of safety procedures followed today have their origins in stupid, avoidable accidents from yesteryear:

MedicalDeviceSafety.txt

Seriously, pretty much every safety feature, alarm, interlock, lockout, etc... on any medical device is there because at some point in the device's history, some nurse/doctor/patient/patient's family member/janitor/random looky-loo hit a button they weren't supposed to, or turned something off that should be on, or on that should be off, etc...

One of my specialties was anesthesia machines, and basically every generation in the past few decades has had a new safety feature that at some point engineers and doctors said wasn't needed because "That's not necessary! The anesthesiologist knows what he's doing!

Things like...

The knob to control Oxygen flow has to be both larger and have different knurling than the knobs for nitrous oxide and air. This is because on at least one occasion, a doctor was looking at something else, either the patient, or a life signs monitor (or a magazine), and just started turning the knob up to increase O2. But it was nitrous, and the patient was injured or died.

Speaking of, the flow of nitrous oxide now has to have a physical connection in some way to the flow of O2. The ratio can never more more than 3 to 1 O2 to N20. This is because once (possibly multiple times) doctors increased the nitrous flow too much and the patients didn't get enough O2 and were injured or died.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

DrBouvenstein posted:

Seriously, pretty much every safety feature, alarm, interlock, lockout, etc... on any medical device is there because at some point in the device's history, some nurse/doctor/patient/patient's family member/janitor/random looky-loo hit a button they weren't supposed to, or turned something off that should be on, or on that should be off, etc...

Can you provide some insight/comment as to what was probably happening here? An oxygen output was attached to a patient's catheter causing their bladder to burst

There have been a bunch of government enquiries which have shown student nurses working unsupervised and shift nurses working double and triple shifts but no real explanation as to what happened. Working in hospitals, I can't imagine the cascade of events that would need to occur for this sort of mix-up to be a risk. I wonder how much different sized knobs or safety features would have made a difference...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The sewer is saying "Here, let me take your coat for you."

If he lost his pants, I would have posted it in the schadenfreude thread instead.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

lmao Travis Woo is such a goof

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Muppet-legs over here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Serrath posted:

Can you provide some insight/comment as to what was probably happening here? An oxygen output was attached to a patient's catheter causing their bladder to burst

There have been a bunch of government enquiries which have shown student nurses working unsupervised and shift nurses working double and triple shifts but no real explanation as to what happened. Working in hospitals, I can't imagine the cascade of events that would need to occur for this sort of mix-up to be a risk. I wonder how much different sized knobs or safety features would have made a difference...

Overworked and dangerously tired people make stupid decisions

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

If they lied and said it was a sex related injury they could have kept their cool slide.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Via PYF gif thread.

http://i.imgur.com/9flKzUt.mp4

What.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Surprisingly non-OSHA but still relevant to this thread's tastes thread about suspending yourself hundreds of feet off the ground for money thread in A/T:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795469&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The snow falling off stuff is hypnotic.