Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

El Hefe posted:

I want to imagine Nico carrying around that trophy everywhere from now on, going to the pharmacy, to a restaurant, to the in-laws, etc.

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/806160694785835008

He's still at it
https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/808628176561799168

andyf fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Wirth1000 posted:

Guys, I am now officially super stoked about the 2017 formula. Toro Rosso's tech director said its the biggest mix up in the 19 years he's been in the sport. Completely different cars in every single way minus the power units of course.

Think I'll ramp up my posting game in anticipation. Good loving riddance to this past horrible loving formula.

I read that too, and combined with how it looks unlikely that Merc are going to find another driver of the quality they're looking for, I'm hopeful for a more competitive and interesting field next year.

We'll find out in March, I guess.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Theophany posted:

But Nando loving owning Johnny Herbert on live TV for suggesting he was past it and should retire is a 2016 highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lAIx6MrePw
Jesus, has there been a more savage drive-by in history?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

mactheknife posted:

So I've been watching season reviews on YouTube, started randomly with 2008 which was pretty entertaining. It seems like the cars were way more difficult to drive in that era, is that accurate? It's like they drive like they're on rails now but watching these recaps it looks like there were more spins/wrecks/cars stepping out. Was there any engineering reason for that? I'm kind of a Luddite idiot when it comes to the technical side of things.

Its really the opposite, in 2008 they had mastered the post-V10 formula and most of the cars had a bonkers amount of winglets and drove really well, for the first two years of the turbo formula the drivers all said the power came on so fast and with so much torque they were getting lots of power-on-oversteer. (of course after blown-diffusergate this was less of an issue)

It could be that traction control was allowed until 2008, and some of the experienced drivers may have still been getting a handle on controlling the car with their right foot for the first time in ~10 years. (I think that this contributed to LHAMs first WDC and ability to keep pace with alonso, as he had only just jumped out of a GP2 car that had no traction control)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That era had the RB car that you could take flat through half the fast corners on the calendar. Definitely not harder to drive.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

man, I should forward my resume to FOM :sigh:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

aequalis posted:

Your opinions are cool and good.

Except for Legard. gently caress that guy, I mean honestly, what was he doing there?

Mostly not being James Allen. Yeah, he was boring, but he didn't annoy me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah these most recent turbo cars have been the most difficult to drive in quite some time. 2008 was the very end of the aero era, if anything the 2008 cars were much easier to drive.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Theophany posted:

When was that?

But Nando loving owning Johnny Herbert on live TV for suggesting he was past it and should retire is a 2016 highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lAIx6MrePw

Ah yeah got my English garbagemen confused

That was a good own by Nando though

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

lol

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The hybrid era cars are easy to drive in that drivers are lifting and coasting through corners and driving at 60% to optimize fuel consumption and tire wear.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Let each team field their best ever designed car from history in an all out battle for racing supremacy.

#theformula

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

The hybrid era cars are easy to drive in that drivers are lifting and coasting through corners and driving at 60% to optimize fuel consumption and tire wear.

This!

The cars have an insane amount of torque in the current formula. You just don't see it because they are hardly ever on the limit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That was more a result of aerodynamics and engine mapping smoothing out the torque curve than anything else. The 2014 cars looked very twitchy and on the limit coming out of corners.

The lift and coast thing is a false argument. They basically worked out the braking distance and broke it up into a two phase event that is slightly longer, corner speeds would not go up if you got rid of that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 13, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Guys, I am now officially super stoked about the 2017 formula. Toro Rosso's tech director said its the biggest mix up in the 19 years he's been in the sport. Completely different cars in every single way minus the power units of course.

Think I'll ramp up my posting game in anticipation. Good loving riddance to this past horrible loving formula.

Wirth1000, 2017 Moral World Posting Champion

you heard it here first, folks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gret posted:

Also they have proper slick tyres which improve mechanic grip significantly, whereas the 2008 cars were still on that grooved poo poo designed to lower cornering speeds (which admittedly lasted a drat sight better).

It's a fun comparison to look back at the old 80s BMW and Renault engines in qualy trim pumping out ~1500bhp and see what a properly unhinged turbo engine in an F1 car can reduce a driver to. I have hero worship for drivers in most eras of F1, but that was one where power was Group B rallying levels of insane and there was a very real chance you could still go to an F1 weekend and not go home on Sunday evening.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Go on then, off-season question: who do you consider the best F1 driver of all time and who do you consider the best racing driver of all time, regardless of discipline?

For me it has to be Jim Clark as the former and Ari Vatanen as the latter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mario Andretti and Mario Andretti :colbert:

(Real talk: tie between Prost and Senna for F1, but I seriously mean Mario for all around)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Theophany posted:

Go on then, off-season question: who do you consider the best F1 driver of all time and who do you consider the best racing driver of all time, regardless of discipline?

Scott Speed and Scott Speed, respectively :911:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Michael Schumacher and Jim Clark.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't speak for anything Pre-1980 but in the Modern Era Prost. Schumacher is obviously amazing but I believe his competition in his latter championships was simply not as strong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

For me it has to be Jim Clark as the former and Ari Vatanen as the latter.

Prost and Andretti. I considered AJ Foyt for the latter but it's hard to go with him when he never even ran an F1 race (outside of the the 500 way back when) and Andretti is an F1 champion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fangio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xg4Fr9SY04

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Lewis and Lewis.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Prost hands down. Not really better but I've always held a deep respect for what Walter Rohrl's complete understanding of a car's dynamics and driving despite not being a big fan of him personally.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, for the sake of completeness: Michelle Mouton best female driver, period.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mouton was by far my favorite group B driver. It's lovely that Audi refused to do Kenya because she almost certainly would've been the champion that year if they did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Fangio or Clark is always a conflict for me. I think Clark was the best F1 driver because he managed to survive long enough to win 2 WDC in cars that were lethal in an era of non-existent safety. I mean you could argue Stewart won 3 during the same era, but Stewart freely admits that Clark was the superior driver without reservation. But then you look at Fangio's 5 WDC in an era with even more scant regard for safety and the only justification I can come up with is speed, the sophistication of going faster (I.e. Colin Chapman) and an extra decade of seeing just how much of a gamble formula racing was. Clark's era was a much more lethal one in terms of driver fatalities.

It's a tough call, but it's always interesting to see who people say. The Andretti, Prost, Senna and Schumacher answers are good and I always expected a Foyt answer! Want to see some more Group B drivers though, those guys were certifiable.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

Also, for the sake of completeness: Michelle Mouton best female driver, period.

And demonstrably better than most of the male drivers at one point.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Prost and Andretti. I considered AJ Foyt for the latter but it's hard to go with him when he never even ran an F1 race (outside of the the 500 way back when) and Andretti is an F1 champion.

Andretti's later career was much better, I think. CART Foyt was pretty lousy from what I've seen, although that might be due to equipment.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If being bat poo poo insane, having balls of steel, and surviving, is the qualifier then John Surtees is the king of them all.

"Having hit a cow..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86KCmGnVO4

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

If being bat poo poo insane, having balls of steel, and surviving, is the qualifier then John Surtees is the king of them all.

"Having hit a cow..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86KCmGnVO4

Good shout, competing in the TT is basically a way to out yourself as a nutcase.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We're all dummies for forgetting Surtees :doh:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Fangio or Clark is always a conflict for me. I think Clark was the best F1 driver because he managed to survive long enough to win 2 WDC in cars that were lethal in an era of non-existent safety. I mean you could argue Stewart won 3 during the same era, but Stewart freely admits that Clark was the superior driver without reservation. But then you look at Fangio's 5 WDC in an era with even more scant regard for safety and the only justification I can come up with is speed, the sophistication of going faster (I.e. Colin Chapman) and an extra decade of seeing just how much of a gamble formula racing was. Clark's era was a much more lethal one in terms of driver fatalities.

It's a tough call, but it's always interesting to see who people say. The Andretti, Prost, Senna and Schumacher answers are good and I always expected a Foyt answer! Want to see some more Group B drivers though, those guys were certifiable.

F1 for me would have to be Senna or Schumi, and maybe Nando. Outside of F1 it's tied for Hans Stuck and Walter Rohrl.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nando is one of those guys that ten years from now I'll probably consider in the top three, but it's difficult to assess his legacy while he's still in the sport. If he gets a WDC with McLaren I think there'd probably be a strong argument to consider him the absolute best.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I can't comment on Fangio or Clark or even Senna because I wasn't even alive or watching F1 back then but Schumacher was an absolutely ruthless driving machine, I hated the guy and I was glad when he retired but that was because he was such a fantastic heel.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Nando is one of those guys that ten years from now I'll probably consider in the top three, but it's difficult to assess his legacy while he's still in the sport. If he gets a WDC with McLaren I think there'd probably be a strong argument to consider him the absolute best.

That's really my current issue with picking a top F1 driver, I've been watching for about 4ish years now so it's hard to pick someone - whereas I'd been far more interested in motorsports outside of F1 (ie. WEC, Group B, Group C, etc.) and have paid attention to that, and read about it, for far longer.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be fair I got interested in motorsports probably around six years ago purely because I was researching a car to buy, saw that ford made the RS200 and discovered group B and then my entry into F1 was mainly watching a shitload of old 80s races, so my knowledge of that period is a bit better. I know from what little I've seen that I'm probably underrating Schumi, but it's hard to say because I haven't seen enough races of him at his prime.

• Locked thread