Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robot Style posted:

Patrick Wilson was already in BvS as the US President. I hope he's playing the same character.

I'm going to be disappointed if the Batman movie isn't an adaptation of the story where the Joker became Iran's ambassador to the UN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm surprised Jackie Earl Hailey isn't in the DCCU already. Maybe he'll be Snapper Carr.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Kinda wish that a Pacific Islander was playing Orm, but Wilson is still a great choice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadpool just won Best Comedy at the Critic's Choice Awards, in addition to the Golden Globes nominations for the movie and for Reynolds.

edit:
Also Hugh Jackman took a pay cut to ensure that the budget for Logan is low enough so that Fox will let it have an R rating.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Equeen posted:

Kinda wish that a Pacific Islander was playing Orm, but Wilson is still a great choice.

Mera and Vulko are being played by Amber Heard and Willem Dafoe, and now with Patrick Wilson being cast as Ocean Master, that pretty much explains Aquaman's father/human side is Polynesian. Atlanteans are gonna be caucasian in the DCEU I guess.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 13, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In at least one version Orm is Inuit.

Edit: and so is Aquaman's son. Bring back Koryak!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

teagone posted:

Mera and Vulko are being played by Amber Heard and Willem Dafoe, and now with Patrick Wilson being cast as Ocean Master, that pretty much explains Aquaman's father/human side is Polynesian. Atlanteans are gonna be caucasian in the DCEU I guess.

Yeah after some thought it's very possible that Aquaman's father could be Polynesian, so I'll try to stay optimistic about that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Electromax posted:

So his friend knows he's Spiderman? I don't remember anyone in the old movies/comics knowing that, but I haven't read any of the comics since like 2003.

I've always known he was Spiderman.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The MSJ posted:

edit:
Also Hugh Jackman took a pay cut to ensure that the budget for Logan is low enough so that Fox will let it have an R rating.

The hero we need.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just came back from watching Dr. Strange. I guess it was ok. Felt like your average MCU origin story movie. The best parts were the mid- and post-credits.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

SMG, would you mind talking a bit about SS? I felt that it was thoroughly underwhelming when taken at face value. What about it did you like?

With Suicide Squad, the first thing to understand is that it's a parody of the MCU films and the basic Avengers premise.

The joke is that the heroes are genuinely awful criminal people, but also no different from Tony Stark or Steve Rogers. (The only reason they're in jail and Stark is free is because they're all minorities.) Nobody learns a lesson, and they just get surreptitiously deployed into a barely-disguised Toronto to fight a beam of light.

The too-obvious music cues are a nod to Snyder's Watchmen, and Suicide Squad mainly functions as that film's trashier b-movie companion piece. The happy face even cameos in one scene.

The characters can quirk and quip all they want, but the emphasis is on all the levels of control imposed by this female Nick Fury as she manipulates the narrative itself into making it seem like heroism is taking place.

It's basically a version of Deadpool that doesn't explain the jokes. And whenever a big genre movie doesn't explain the jokes, you invariably get big popular success - accompanied by online hate from ppl who didn't realize they were watching a comedy. (e.g. Prometheus, Transformers, the first three Star Wars, Twilight...)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's an interesting premise but doesn't actually make the film good or enjoyable. The best parodies stand on their own as good films even if you have no idea what they're referencing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

greatn posted:

That's an interesting premise but doesn't actually make the film good or enjoyable. The best parodies stand on their own as good films even if you have no idea what they're referencing.

You're making a distinction between "references" and parody that doesn't actually exist. There's no such thing as a work of fiction that transcends context.

Also Prometheus, Transformers, and Twilight are all enjoyable in their own right. Twilight in particular is hysterically funny as long as you can, like, remember being a teenager at one point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I ain't going to bat for the Star Wars prequels though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I will. They are good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

greatn posted:

And Suicide Squad is genuinely well-made, in exactly the same way that a given MCU film is. It even has better cinematography.

The only difference is that it is less 'tasteful'. Dropping Fortunate Son into the film is jarring, for example, whereas Iron Man's use of ACDC is shrugworthy.

The plot is exactly as 'nonsensical' as in Avengers (because it's the same plot), but the filmmakers take less pains to disguise it. They mine it for abstract, associative imagery.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 13, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

greatn posted:

I will. They are good.

Imagine that boring stretch in the middle of Suicide Squad from where they start shooting faceless ex-civilians to around the bar scene, except it's 142 minutes long.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Imagine that boring stretch in the middle of Suicide Squad from where they start shooting faceless ex-civilians to around the bar scene, except it's 142 minutes long.

Imagine an Amway pitch from a narcoleptic that never ends.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Real post below:

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 13, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Reviewers (professional and otherwise) are consistently thrown off by Snyder's refusal to make either a 'real' movie or a 'superhero garbage' movie. (And Suicide Squad is very much Ayer doing his version of a Snyder film).

What Snyder does is to simply take the language of superhero garbage - the 'expanded universe' teaser, the post-credits sequence, etc. - and makes use of it. He makes no effort to disguise that he is making a megabudget franchise film, and he instead exploits the unique formal qualities of this medium. Moore and Gibbons made similar use of speech bubbles and panel layouts, which is why Snyder was so well-suited towards adapting Watchmen.

In Dawn Of Justice, for example, the 'EU teaser' scene is used to show Wonder Woman literally being put under the supervision and control of a corporation. And Wonder Woman herself watches this video of her identity being commodified, with horror.

The Ultimate Edition even has the words "ULTIMATE EDITION" appended to the title sequence. I've never seen that in a film before. Have you? That text is typically reserved for advertisements - DVD cases. But this movie announces that it is part of an edition. Snyder draws attention to the fact that his film is being mass-produced and sold

It's the same joke as when Deadpool repeatedly explains that he's aware of being trapped inside the Xmen franchise - minus the direct explanation.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why is SS a parody of the MCU and Tony Stark, but not the DCU and Bruce Wayne?

And does parodying other movies automatically make a movie good?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The Ultimate Edition even has the words "ULTIMATE EDITION" appended to the title sequence. I've never seen that in a film before.

Did South Park do that with the Bigger, Longer, and Uncut joke?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Yes, I am saying that parodying other movies automatically makes a movie good.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Did South Park do that with the Bigger, Longer, and Uncut joke?

That was the name of the theatrical release of the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

Bruce Wayne shows up specifically in SS as a parody of Tony Stark.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

UmOk posted:

That was the name of the theatrical release of the movie.

Right but that wasn't the original theatrical cut. They didn't get the rating they wanted (initially got NC-17) and kept making it longer until the board gave them their R because they didn't want to watch it anymore. The "Bigger, Longer, and Uncut" was basically a direct threat to the intended audience(the ratings board)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Who is a bigger criminal: Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

UmOk posted:

Stark has committed more war crimes, so definitely him.

Batman's sphere of influence is still mostly petty criminals in a single city. Stark builds autonomous robots that drive those numbers to billions in damages and thousands of casualties. :911:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Bruce has never repeatedly put the world in danger doing the same thing over and over again

So you know

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IIRC Wayne is also an arms dealer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

UmOk posted:

Wayne. He defrauds people with vigilante insurance he has no intention of paying out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thinking you're fighting God is better than thinking you are God, even if both are mistaken.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Wayne. He defrauds people with vigilante insurance he has no intention of paying out.

We haven't seen Powerless yet so the jury is out. Maybe his company pays equitably.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Well Stark is at least transparent with his atrocities.

Wayne hides behind a mask and spends his billions on gadgets to help him beat up poor people.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Batman is the criminal, Wayne is just a cool dude.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Ah. Batman and Bruce Wayne are separate characters. So Batman can smash poor minorities in the face while Bruce Wayne pats himself on the back for making charitable donations.

Kinda like the "hole in the sheet."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We should get good people like Bruce Wayne in office so he has the power to outlaw the criminal vigilante known as Batman.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

We should get good people like Bruce Wayne in office so he has the power to outlaw the criminal vigilante known as Batman.

That would make a great story. Bruce Wayne running for major on an anti-Batman platform.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Everyone in the Marvel universe has been President, has Bruce Wayne ever been President?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Everyone in the Marvel universe has been President, has Bruce Wayne ever been President?

He ran, but his opponent was Squirrel Girl.

• Locked thread