Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
If I had been playing this game and tried to get the archive items, those holes in the archive would have been driving me mad, especially 001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

kjetting posted:

If I had been playing this game and tried to get the archive items, those holes in the archive would have been driving me mad, especially 001.
Some of the archive items are unlocked by completing secondary objectives that SGF hasn't gotten around to doing yet. Also I'm pretty sure you get 001 when you've collected all the other ones.

Nothing in this game is permanently missable, so that's nice. But you're going to have to replay stages a bunch.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Well, at least Tomoko got her happy ending, sort of. It seems that at least those 3 Shibito still have a sense of their family bond.

Pretty dick move to have the ms Takato - shibito reveal and have her hunt down Harumi, but I can't say I was totally surprised they pulled this.

Shiro, I think, seems to still cling to something that resembles goodwill behavior; maybe by saving Yoriko and Kyoya, he justifies that he is a *good person* in spite of dissecting the sisters (for science), or killing them (who knows what for or how he justified that one, at least the first one).

Still he mostly comes off like a (early seasons') Dexter kind of psychopath, because he doesn't seem to be actually empathizing or feeling much for the others. Hey, Yoriko, I swam against the current, you are on your own now, see ya.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Man if even the lady that got blown the gently caress up by a fuel/truck explosion comes back basically unscathed without skipping a beat i guess ol' alien red-ocean-hell god really doesn't want to let anyone off the hook, huh

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yep, like Shiro's note mentioned, Shibito cannot die so even after blowing herself up to presumably pieces, Missus Takato still came back.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've found a mirror of the Forbidden Siren flash website which was taken down about 12 years ago. It mostly just provides insight into various characters and their backstory as well as their connection to Hanuda. It may contain a few minor spoilers for some stuff still to be shown off in this LP though so I'd only check it out once the LP is finished or if you've already beaten the game or watched Egomaniac's old LP.

http://siren.lima-city.de/eu-site1/index.php

I dunno if SGF wants to add this to the OP or not.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Earnestly posted:

I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption that Shiro Miyata is aware of blood types but deliberately disregards them.

What is your blood type?

Oh, B-? Hmm...

Good news, god type blood is the universal donor! Pump it in, baby!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Oh no, the deliberately obtuse bug is hitting the thread again!

Shoeless posted:

I thought it was the Miyata clinic, the one that he works at?

No. It was stated in straight dialog in the game that the hospital reappeared out of nowhere. It may have belonged to his ancestor but Shiro did not work at it.

Shoeless posted:

They're in a hospital, I think it's reasonable that there would be blood for transfusions stored somewhere and, since he works there, would know where it is. I mean it could be red water, but like SGF said if that was the case, and so close to death as they were, you'd think if he was pumping them full of that they would have become Shibito.

We saw Shiro experimenting on shibito in an earlier scene so it is more reasonable to assume he is furthering his experiments by seeing how much of the red water it takes to heal someone vs zombify them. Look at his arc so far and tell me what you see that makes you think he is more likely to be doing something altruistic versus just continuing his mad science?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Man if even the lady that got blown the gently caress up by a fuel/truck explosion comes back basically unscathed without skipping a beat i guess ol' alien red-ocean-hell god really doesn't want to let anyone off the hook, huh

She did like kind of gross though. Like more rotted? Or was that just me?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Shirec posted:

She did look kind of gross though. Like more rotted? Or was that just me?

:crossarms: I think she got a new haircut.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 13, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Oh no, the deliberately obtuse bug is hitting the thread again!

We saw Shiro experimenting on shibito in an earlier scene so it is more reasonable to assume he is furthering his experiments by seeing how much of the red water it takes to heal someone vs zombify them. Look at his arc so far and tell me what you see that makes you think he is more likely to be doing something altruistic versus just continuing his mad science?

He did say he didn' t know why he was doing this which could be interpreted as him not knowing why he was saving them.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

And More posted:

:crossarms: I think she got a new haircut.

That's how things go when you have :torgue: style your hair

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thesaya posted:

He did say he didn' t know why he was doing this which could be interpreted as him not knowing why he was saving them.

That's how it reads but with shiro that comes across more like "My 8ball told to not be a dick for this one time" rather than him subconsciously becoming ever so slightly altruistic.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm guessing there's something in the 12 hours between the Onda sisters dissection and now, probably an argument with Kei, that made Shiro want to try doing something pointless like saving these two strangers. As for how he did it, we really have no evidence that ingesting Red Water leads directly to giggle town. We haven't seen any named shitbito that we didn't see die first, with the exception of Tomoko but really Hisako is clearly up to serious no good and Risa's weird twin mind-meld. Maybe red water just preps you but you have to actually die to turn, so as long as you take just enough to not die you can stave off the giggles, though it does appear that Hisako still gets some sort of hold on you regardless. Remember that Naoko didn't go into that pool to chug lots of red water, she went in there to drown herself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tamon said she had already had too much of the red water, which makes it sound like you can use it to heal yourself as long as you don't use too much. That was by drinking it though, so who knows if pumping it into your bloodstream does something different. Could explain why Kyouya isn't a Shibito either after he got shot.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Kyouya has gotten shot in the chest twice, and then has tumbled down into the river of red water both times. The duration of his first plunge lasts about two hours. If the red water is the cause of Shibito-ification, then how much exposure is needed for the transformation?

Further, is it even necessary to die to trigger the transformation? Keep in mind that the drunk cop only got hit by a truck in the first episode. For sake of simplicity, let's assume that the truck killed him. The siren then goes off, the cop-shibito stands back up, and puts a revolver round in Kyouya's chest at point blank. I'm no expert on bodily harm, but that should do equal or greater damage to a body as/than a truck going 30mph (48 knots), and that's a generous assumption on part of the truck. The point is that Kyouya definitely should have died, and he had significantly more exposure to the red water than the cop without turning.

Is Kyouya special? Doubtful. He's written as a pretty thick every-man stumbling into a weird situation, drowning in over his head with red water. Did Hisako save him from turning the first time? Maybe. If she did the first time, then maybe Shiro saved him the second time. But through what methods? A blood transfusion? There's nothing to suggest that Hisako had the means to do so. Also, in the most recent Shiro scene, we only saw Yoriko hooked up to a blood bag. Kyouya was not. So maybe he is special. Maybe his blood is special like an O- blood type that rejects all other types including the red water. But there's nothing to back up that claim.

Instead, I'm beginning to think that it all has to do with the siren. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have only seen people turn as the siren goes off. Perhaps someone has to be dead at the time of the siren in order to turn into a Shibito. Kyouya has been lucky enough to fall into the red water, which is the secret to ever lasting life because it seems to have healing properties. If this premise holds truth, then perhaps Shiro was transfusing red water into Yoriko as a way of speeding up the healing process so that she isn't dead by the time of the Siren. Although there are some logistical problems with this theory. Shiro found Kyouya and Yoriko at about 11:10, and Yoriko wakes up at 18:03. He would have had to drag both bodies back to the Miyata Clinic from Janokubi Valley and heal them up in a matter of 50 minutes before the siren goes off. In addition, there's six unaccounted hours where the wonder twins remain unconscious despite being healthy enough to not turn. Maybe Shiro conducted more experiments by killing the children and bringing them back just to test his theories on Shibito-ification. (Interesting to note that Yoriko does wake up right after the 6pm siren. I wonder if there's a correlation there?)

Naoko's and Akira's transformations both help support this theory. Naoko drowns herself in the red water at 03:33, and Tomoko only encounters the Shibito Naoko after the 06:00 siren. Akira doesn't awaken as a Shibito until 00:11, which is directly after the midnight siren.

Risa is the strongest counter argument, and her transformation is murky and gray at best. Mina touches faces with her sister, and Shibito-fies her, at 00:17. Risa, after a 30 minute wardrobe change, stumbles toward a murderous Shiro at 00:49. There was no siren required for her transformation, but the whole twin-physic-link thing is so atypical for Shibito that we can consider this instance an outlying piece of data.

Ugh, I should not have spent so long on this Internet video game during finals week.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Mindblast posted:

That's how it reads but with shiro that comes across more like "My 8ball told to not be a dick for this one time" rather than him subconsciously becoming ever so slightly altruistic.

That is pretty much what I said. I never implied he helped for altruistic reasons, more like a sudden impulse he didn't understand.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, if we assume that the myth we read about in this update refers to the people of Hanuda as being cursed, Kyoya might be actively unable to become a shibito due to not being cursed to remain in the darkness, or whatever the phrase was.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Earnestly posted:

Further, is it even necessary to die to trigger the transformation? Keep in mind that the drunk cop only got hit by a truck in the first episode. For sake of simplicity, let's assume that the truck killed him. The siren then goes off, the cop-shibito stands back up, and puts a revolver round in Kyouya's chest at point blank. I'm no expert on bodily harm, but that should do equal or greater damage to a body as/than a truck going 30mph (48 knots), and that's a generous assumption on part of the truck. The point is that Kyouya definitely should have died, and he had significantly more exposure to the red water than the cop without turning.

Getting shot in the chest is not going to kill you instantaneously. Even if it goes right trough your heart, at worst you pass out from the shock and bleed out very very quickly, but your brain can survive for up to six minutes without any blood flow. (You've seen on doctor shows where they use defibrillators to restart someone's heart, this is why that is possible.) It took far less than six minutes for Kyoya to fall into the red water, and which point any injuries are null and void.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Gonna go on a hunch and say that maybe the ocd hard-scifi approach to an asian "alien god" curse (that literally shifts reality and time around and includes stuff like that hisiko cutscene) is ridiculous and it wouldn't surprise me if most of that stuff is never properly answered and explained because that makes for extremely lovely horror.

but this is still the funniest bit

ZiegeDame posted:

You've seen on doctor shows where they use defibrillators to restart someone's heart, this is why that is possible.
:allears:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, sorry Ziege, defibrillators don't restart stopped hearts like jumping a dead car battery. They're for correcting some dysrhythmias.

Anyway, I suspect some weird poo poo is up with the red bags like everyone else, since I doubt we're using disappeared hospital blood bags.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I feel like Shiro knows a lot more about the red water than anyone else and he was testing a theory that ended up being correct and he went all poetic?? Not sure but I don't really trust this doctor who does a lot on what feels like whims.

I'm glad I found this LP, just caught up a couple of episodes ago and I'm eager to see what else this game has in store. I owned it, but I couldn't get very far and was very easily scared by video games then. My brother managed to get to Tamon's stage, but we couldn't figure out how to loop around and eventually got frustrated by sniper-shibito and gave up on it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yeah, sorry Ziege, defibrillators don't restart stopped hearts like jumping a dead car battery. They're for correcting some dysrhythmias.

My apologies for not having a medical degree. My point stands: Kyoya did not die in the 5 seconds it took from him getting shot to him falling in red water. So Shiro's using it to revive the two fits with delaying the inevitable rather than accelerating it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm just an accountant, man, but I don't know, I think something else is happening there. If only because overexposure to the red water seems to cause shibitofication (wow autocorrect hated that) - Tamon even warned Yoriko about it. Plus we saw the results of Naoko's uh Bathory experiment. You can argue she drowned or something else killed her, but that's also a hell of a lot of exposure.

You're right that a shot to the heart isn't necessarily an instakill, but I think if Kyoya was only treated here with red water, we'd be seeing him as a shibito. Though I guess we still could! It doesn't seem like death is strictly required for transformation unless I missed a Tomoko scene...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Anyway, I suspect some weird poo poo is up with the red bags like everyone else, since I doubt we're using disappeared hospital blood bags.

Let's be fair: They are used to restart hearts in doctor shows all the time because no one making TV knows what the gently caress.

I like the theory the siren has to sound for someone who is dead at the time for them to turn. That sounds plausible.

My suspicion is most of the shibito we're meeting at the moment are from the disaster in the 70s, and probably most people who lived in Hanuda didn't come for the ride like the characters we've met. There could be a couple of reasons for this, but we know the ritual went wrong late at night, and while a lot of people were present, it didn't quite seem like a whole village's worth. It's possible that anyone who wasn't there was doing the sensible thing and just stayed at home, sleeping. Maybe if you're not awake to hear the siren, it can't whisk you off into the red water dimension?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Just doing my small part to ruin medical dramas for everyone! :eng101:

I think you're right about most of the shibito being from the past but I don't know if the siren sounding is really relevant to the transformations. Would be neat though if true.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I rewatched the first few episodes.

Some thoughts about the word "call". Some piece of art mentions "Resist the call". Hisako, in the first post-siren mission, uses the word "call". Akira talks about someone calling him...

There also in an insect theme going on. Flyers, spiders... The Nest... A hivemind, especially given the brain behaviour?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Gravitas posted:

I rewatched the first few episodes.

Some thoughts about the word "call". Some piece of art mentions "Resist the call". Hisako, in the first post-siren mission, uses the word "call". Akira talks about someone calling him...

There also in an insect theme going on. Flyers, spiders... The Nest... A hivemind, especially given the brain behaviour?

I don't want to be mean but I think those are both pretty elementary things to pick up

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

No Gravitas posted:

My favorite insects, Dogs.....

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've found a mirror of the Forbidden Siren flash website which was taken down about 12 years ago. It mostly just provides insight into various characters and their backstory as well as their connection to Hanuda. It may contain a few minor spoilers for some stuff still to be shown off in this LP though so I'd only check it out once the LP is finished or if you've already beaten the game or watched Egomaniac's old LP.

http://siren.lima-city.de/eu-site1/index.php

I dunno if SGF wants to add this to the OP or not.

Thanks! I didn't know that site was still around anywhere; I'll go through that in the final video.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.45 - Pay Attention To The Puddle

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

Haha, I was only kidding about giving the sake to the cop. He probably doesn't stay in the puddle for long so you aren't tempted to try and bash him with the poker, instead of springing their neat trap.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I was slightly disappointed the cop didn't extend a proboscis to drink from the puddle.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

supergreatfriend posted:

P.45 - Pay Attention To The Puddle

Don't mistake it for something I made. No idea where it came from either... well, in the specific sense.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 15, 2016

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So Naoko's resume says she was born in Tokyo. Some people were discussing whether she's from Hanuda or not earlier I think, this seems to point towards not. Though I suppose she might've lied.

Also that is the most kawaii shibito.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Rebel Blob posted:

Don't mistake it for something I made. No idea where it came from either... well, in the specific sense.

both from x

And while im here,

x

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

These are all far too adorable for Siren.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Shoeless posted:

So Naoko's resume says she was born in Tokyo. Some people were discussing whether she's from Hanuda or not earlier I think, this seems to point towards not. Though I suppose she might've lied.
I don't quite understand where the idea that she was from Hanuda came from in the first place. At some point people started acting like her yearbook confirmed it but I just went back and looked at it and there's nothing suggesting she's from Hanuda in there.

(She's not from Hanuda.)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't think there is any information either way on where Naoko was originally from as the yearbook covers junior high (or middle school if you prefer) yet Hanuda only seemingly has an elementary school. What I will say though which isn't immediately obvious, is that Naoko is lying in her resume about her age. Her resume mentions that she was born on August 23, 1976 and the events of this game happen in August 2, 2003 so she'd be 26 but her yearbook has her graduate junior high in 1989 so she's either a prodigy who skipped two years, or her real birthday is August 23, 1974 and she's 28 years old coming on 29 which is what her bio shows whenever you open the menu in her stages.

Which is a nice detail given what the deal with Naoko is. But more importantly, she could have lied about where she was born as well as her age in her resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
There's nothing to indicate Naoko is at all familiar with Hanuda in what we've seen so far, and the Naoko section of that website we saw has her talking about Hanuda just as some unfamiliar small village.

• Locked thread