Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

They must not be using QuickSync on the 6700k that is streaming like poo poo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So on that 6700K stream, are they just doing Software encoding at 1080P? Interesting but a good proof that More cores help gamers/streamers more than they might think depending on the codec used.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Most people streaming on a single PC use NVENC anyways, even though it's lower quality

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmfao that choppy rear end video is me trying to stream any modern game at higher than 720p

Rabid Snake posted:

I hope AMD finally pushes Intel to make 6 or 8 cores the new enthusiast "consumer" standard for the $200-300 price range. So far it looks promising
6 core is gonna be ~250-300, but their flagship is not gonna cost less than 500 barring 2016 memes

roadhead posted:

They must not be using QuickSync on the 6700k that is streaming like poo poo right?
that is actually what happens if you use quicksync on an overclocked consumer i7 though, intel igpus shoot themselves in the head when a TDP limit is exceeded

you get steadier frame rates but lower ones if you use software encoding

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now that 95W is a single chip out of this gang. Do they have their own 140W sample to offer for those that want all the cores/power!?

VEGA!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Here comes the price?

edit: lolno

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Price? Nah the price isn't happening today.

edit: Instead have Ryzen and Vega together doing 4k stuff or something.

But with Battlefront.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Ah, a hint of Vega this way comes

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

I mean, overall presentation has been improved, but jesus this is so empty, and not a hint of Vega :(

Dr. Su thanks you for setting up her "oh, and one more thing"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

4K Vega Battlefront test?

Why not BF1 to keep things consistent? lol

*Keep Clapping as it loads on a spinny rust drive"...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm blueeeeee

blue ballin

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

4K Vega Battlefront test?

Why not BF1 to keep things consistent? lol

'cause Vega isn't a Titan X Pascal and can't pull that off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Renee is so fired.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Okay so Q1 confirmed launch, which means February, March.

VEGA, VEGA, VEGA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

teagone posted:

Renee is so fired.
TOM :byodood:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lol space battle even.. Welp.

Oooo Rogue One DLC though.. Neato.

also Renee has to be from Accounting or something.. Jeeze.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

20 second countdown is ultracringe.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ah. Yeah, nothing there with the Vega demo, just "it works", since we can't be sure of the settings or how heavy that unreleased DLC is

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Price? Nah. Unless they want Keighly to announce the price.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

20 second countdown is ultracringe.

It appears to not be an Offline test and more a sort of "Surprise new DLC" tease as well. But she should have had that thing counting down before they even got to her. So yea.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Ah. Yeah, nothing there with the Vega demo, just "it works"
admittedly it's a map where amd cards poo poo the bed in but lol

no zen price blue balled :(

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

Ah. Yeah, nothing there with the Vega demo, just "it works"

Last time AMD gave a demo of "it works" release was 3 months later. So I'm guessing a March, April release for Vega?

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
I would've been much more impressed if they had compared some numbers, showed benchmarks etc. Oh well, at least the chip looks like it can handle current gen games which is more than my last AMD CPU (FX-8150) could do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

admittedly it's a map where amd cards poo poo the bed in but lol

no zen price blue balled :(

Yeah, that was some hardcore blueballing.
Seems like they're not quite at the finishing line, and they really don't have the specific SKUs nailed down at this point, including boost clocks and pricing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That looked pretty good all things considered. Especially if it's 5-600$ vs the equivalent -E series 1100$ pricetag.

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, that was some hardcore blueballing.
Seems like they're having issues getting to the finishing line, and they really don't have the specific SKUs nailed down at this point, including boost clocks and pricing.

Or they just want Intel to jump the gun on any price drops/sudden new SKUs so they can adjust pre-launch.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What they should have said is this is the 2017 $1000 Dream PC for VR...

But Instead it is the "Dream PC" for AMD execs everywhere.

Still. 6900K performance mixed with 1080/TitanX performance for hopefully $1000 less than both those combined in a complete system... Might be a pretty good deal.

However, we won't know today now will we? :negative:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

That looked pretty good all things considered. Especially if it's 5-600$ vs the equivalent -E series 1100$ pricetag.

Oh it did look good, and at a considerably lower TDP. But we really don't know the pricing, and we've only seen benchmarks that they've chosen to show so far.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So basically, AMD didn't blow it, but we'll see if they nailed it later.

It just comes down to pricing and release date.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Blender and Handbrake tests seem relatively-free of shenanigans, even if anyone sane would be offloading to GPU instead.

The Blender test is pretty convenient for AMD since its renderer doesn't have an Embree backend. If you did the same test with RenderMan, V-Ray or UE4 Lightmass I think you'd get a very different result :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Right, back at a real computer and not trying to listen to the stream and shitpost at traffic lights at the same time.

I sense AMD missed a real technical marketing trick here. Instead of Zen + Vega @ 4K on Ultra at capped framerates, they should have done that @ 5K instead, just for the extra ooh, ahh.

Also Renee is the new Tom.

Assuming Zen delivers on all its promises I would favorably prefer AMD over an Intel chip, if only because it would most certainly have better price-to-perf. I'm not saying how much I'd shell out for one, no sense in giving away that kind of info to any AMD or Intel marketers lurking, but I would make the investment for a top-flight chip. (The VM machine has been too long in the planning.)

repiv posted:

The Blender test is pretty convenient for AMD since its renderer doesn't have an Embree backend. If you did the same test with RenderMan, V-Ray or UE4 Lightmass I think you'd get a very different result :v:

I did say _relatively_. My comment about GPU offload stands.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Let's see: broadwell territory? Score. Not like skylake is much better and at the discount, it'll be selling fast.

Don't gently caress this up AMD/GloFo

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ya jinxed it, Glofo is gonna poo poo the bed now.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I earnestly believe AMD needs to match their quadcore SKU up against Skylake/Kabylake i3s to have a chance, as there is no way Bristol Ridge can fill those shoes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm the am4 platfrom

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm the cpus with pins instead of land grids in tyool 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

i'm the pins that are so thin they're as durable as landing pins

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyways, I think that there is one thing that we *can* concretely take away from today's marketing mess: Mobile parts based on Zen look to be very competitive.

Gwaihir posted:

Or they just want Intel to jump the gun on any price drops/sudden new SKUs so they can adjust pre-launch.

That's a weak trick, and Chipzilla moves for no man.

Like, we often think that Nvidia gets to demand whatever prices they want because they have a stranglehold on the market? But I don't think you quite appreciate Intel's position. We don't call them Chipzilla for nothing.

repiv posted:

i'm the am4 platfrom

I see what you did there.

Boiled Water posted:

They don't.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm the pins that are so thin they're as durable as landing pins

Semiconductor machinist here. More so. LGA pins are spring-loaded, and by definition, hollow at some point. Never mind how the ease of which it is to demolish an LGA socket is offset only by the total cost of replacement.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 14, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Artificial intelligence is genuinely stupid, I always say

This was 100% true three years ago and is 100% false now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

I don't get this Embree thing. I guess it's a cheap way to quickly get the max out of multiple generations of Intel CPUs, but Arnold Renderer seems to do just fine without it (if you put V-Ray GI into pure bruteforce mode, its speed goes to poo poo, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also, "Ryzen" as a name still reminds me of this guy:

But hearing the word "Horizon" in the same sentence over and over is starting to rub off on me. =T

Pryor on Fire posted:

This was 100% true three years ago and is 100% false now.

I bet your day job is to write clickbait news headlines. =(

• Locked thread