Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Elman posted:

I did it. I loving did it :hellyeah:

You say you did it, and yet I see no Allahbama (or Halalabama), no Caliphornia, no Peruthman. :colbert:

gently caress yeah on the WC, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the idea of making different eras of the game feel more distinct. This could finally make the late game interesting and make me want to play past 1700.

I think the tough part here is going to be balancing giving things more structure and giving the player more objectives, which could be cool, against putting everything on rails. It's also a little weird that based on what we know so far, this doesn't interact with Institutions, which would seem to be a natural complement or even vehicle for Ages. Also yeah even more feature bloat, but PleasingFungus is right that that ship sailed along ago anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Exactly. Give me paid features for upgrades to existing systems!

I would love to pay for better Random New World tiles, or more/better ways to interact with my estates or corruption.

I'd totally be onboard for a dlc that added a bunch of new tiles, the option for a fully random world, and some other fun features for custom nations/randomization.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not sure making the game mechanics more complicated is such a good idea...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
My concern about replacing the current lucky nations with a 'dynamic' system is that lucky nations isn't just historical railroading; it's also, and more importantly, a way to try to extend challenge into the late-game, by providing some extra-powerful mega-blobs for the player to fight after becoming super powerful. That's not something that the ages' special bonuses will provide - they're far too narrow & limited for that. Luckily, it doesn't look like they're actually replacing lucky nations with this, as far as I can tell?

Here's something else I'm wondering. If Mughals are going to get special bonuses, does that mean that Paradox thinks they've found a way to get the Mughals to actually form in 1444-start games? That'd be real nice.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

My concern about replacing the current lucky nations with a 'dynamic' system is that lucky nations isn't just historical railroading; it's also, and more importantly, a way to try to extend challenge into the late-game, by providing some extra-powerful mega-blobs for the player to fight after becoming super powerful. That's not something that the ages' special bonuses will provide - they're far too narrow & limited for that. Luckily, it doesn't look like they're actually replacing lucky nations with this, as far as I can tell?

Here's something else I'm wondering. If Mughals are going to get special bonuses, does that mean that Paradox thinks they've found a way to get the Mughals to actually form in 1444-start games? That'd be real nice.

It could also be them focusing on start dates other than 1444 and perhaps including achievements for starting in different eras?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baron Corbyn posted:

It could also be them focusing on start dates other than 1444 and perhaps including achievements for starting in different eras?

I think they've said that like, 99.9% of all games (no exaggeration) are started at 1444, so I suspect them spending any effort (other then not breaking what's already there) on later start dates is near 0.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

lol Paradox can't win, if they focus on patching and detail work people say the DLC is pointless, if they add a new feature people freak out about bloat

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I think they've said that like, 99.9% of all games (no exaggeration) are started at 1444, so I suspect them spending any effort (other then not breaking what's already there) on later start dates is near 0.

Having each era be different might change that? How many games actually reach 1710?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I half expected them to add in administrators as another manpower pool as a troll

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Alikchi posted:

lol Paradox can't win, if they focus on patching and detail work people say the DLC is pointless, if they add a new feature people freak out about bloat

The bloat is actually a real and serious issue because they can't make all of the new systems work together organically because of how their DLC model works. They're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and either give some old DLC mechanics away for free or else the game is going to become a total mess (some would argue that it has already).

I mean take the game with all DLC from the ground up and imagine explaining it to a new player, there's so many completely unrelated systems which all do similar things it's absurd.

OTOH this new thing sounds pretty cool even though it should tie into tech and/or institutions rather than arbitrary dates.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RabidWeasel posted:

The bloat is actually a real and serious issue because they can't make all of the new systems work together organically because of how their DLC model works. They're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and either give some old DLC mechanics away for free or else the game is going to become a total mess (some would argue that it has already).

I mean take the game with all DLC from the ground up and imagine explaining it to a new player, there's so many completely unrelated systems which all do similar things it's absurd.

OTOH this new thing sounds pretty cool even though it should tie into tech and/or institutions rather than arbitrary dates.

Arumba and Filthyrobot (both are youtubers) are doing a series where Arumba is teaching EUIV and going deep into the mechanics. I think they ended up unpausing once in the first few 20 minute episodes with all the poo poo that needed to be explained.

I like the idea behind the new feature, but these things feel like they could be done as an extension of the existing mission system rather than bolting an entirely new system onto the game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first game i played ended quickly because i vassalized lorraine, which was one of burgundy's missions. that's when i learned about the hre and ae

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ages seem like a good replacement for the now almost vestigial (aside from the historical ones) mission system.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, adding more objectives for players is cool but I would really like Paradox to tweak existing mechanics rather than adding whole new ones. The last thing EU4 needs right now is more complex systems and UI elements.
There has to be new features to justify paid DLC, and without the DLC the budget for patches is much smaller. In the past people have reacted very poorly when anything that could possibly be characterized as a fix for an existing system was included in DLC.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 13, 2016

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Ages feel like bloat to me, but at least it's the sort of bloat that offers concrete goals to the player. In a big game like this I enjoy always feeling that there are Things I Can Do (tm), and this mechanic provides more of that. Admittedly it does so in what looks to me like a gamey and non-organic way, but at the bottom line I get more short- and mid-term goals I can pursue for goodies and I appreciate that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are so many ways they could have made it integrated and organic, is the worst of it. Just tie it into institutions. Move the institution dates around a bit or change them slightly if you feel like they don't fit exactly. You just added this enormous overhaul that allows for changes to the game as it progresses over certain dates and then... did it again, with another loving UI element and a whole different set of dates.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

It does seem weird to have yet another in-game currency introduced.

Like it seems like you could have folded Splendor into Prestige or something. Like each Age Quest you complete gives you +X% Prestige for X years (until end of era?), and then the bonuses are purchased at the cost of like 50 or 75 Prestige or something.

Or maybe the Age Bonuses are purchased with monarch points but each Age Quest you complete gives you substantial % (10?) off buying them.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 13, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fintilgin posted:

Like it seems like you could have folded Splendor into Prestige or something.

this is a great idea, it would suddenly make prestige valuable and it would mean there are more organic (if slower) ways to get the rewards outside of having to do very specific things.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Convoluted? I think the word you're looking for is... byzantine.

:pusheen:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah this kind of feels like it's crossed the line of "way too much stuff to keep track of".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sindai posted:

Ages seem like a good replacement for the now almost vestigial (aside from the historical ones) mission system.

Missions are good for the AI though, and give it incentives to do things it might otherwise not.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Prestige is useful now. It allows you to play monarch lottery.
And I really like the new system because it could possibly make keeping track of special events a lot more comfortable if it replaces most before/after year whatever conditions with age something. It really should be bound to institutions somehow though.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Splendor, Prestige, and Power Projection all feel to me like different measures of the same thing (your esteem in the eyes of the global community) and I should think there's a coherent way to integrate them. Maybe in the far-off future world of EU5 they will be.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I like it but I agree with the splendor/prestige/power projection thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Having institutions and ages be separate things is awful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not to be a broken record but I love how the first Age is basically pointless for non Europe

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the idea of Ages and I don't think it's too much feature bloat but I do think they should somehow be tied into institutions rather than having static starting and ending dates.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seems like you could add a single institution and even it out. One institution comes at the beginning of each age and one at the midpoint.

Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530
Feudalism 1400
Renaissance 1450

Age of Reformation => 1530 - 1620
Colonialism 1530
Renamed Printing Press 1580

Age of Absolutism => 1620 - 1710
Global Trade 1620
Manufactories 1670

Age of Revolutions => 1710-1821
Enlightenment 1710
Revolution 1760

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This looks very cool. +1 for integrating it with Institutions. I get that people are upset that it seems eurocentric but I'm honestly okay with that for the "Age of Discovery," so long as the ones that follow are more balanced. It's not like the generic bonuses are that insane or anything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also institutions broke the fantasy random new world again. High Americans are a joke now.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still not sure what power projection does for me tbh

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seems like a missed chance to bring the missions/triggered modifiers/achievements together into a single mechanic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still not sure what power projection does for me tbh

It's a thing they added that does very limited things and takes some care and attention to increase or optimize in any way. 99% of the time I forget it's even there. The bonuses aren't good enough for me to really base my wars or plans on, so it's just some bloat sitting up there on the bar.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you go to war with a rival and have 40% warscore to spare you'll probably get +1 to each mp out of it so that's cool

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Haha this is me as of the last couple weeks. Bought the collection on steam after playing the base game for about 2 hours. It hasn't been so bad, have had to ask some questions in this thread and reference the wiki a lot. Googling problems helps also, though you often get answers from different patches. Couldn't say I understand all the mechanics but think I'm getting the hang of it and it doesn't seem like you have to know everything to do ok as a strong starter. In saying that my first game I stopped at about 1550 as the Ottomans as it had been about 20 hours and I got over it a bit. Will come back to them. Started again as England and have made it to the same time period in less than half the time, really enjoying this one.

Things certainly pop up though, like I'm colonising the poo poo out of the Americas and all my colonies are turning into colonial nations. I now see what triggers that, but I'm not entirely sure if it's something I should aim for or what. Also I had 4 or 5 colonists at one point all going at once, suddenly I only had 3 colonists and 5 colonies which cost me 20 gold per month maintenance and almost bankrupted me. Not sure what happened there but it was fine in the end.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jpparker55 posted:

Things certainly pop up though, like I'm colonising the poo poo out of the Americas and all my colonies are turning into colonial nations. I now see what triggers that, but I'm not entirely sure if it's something I should aim for or what. Also I had 4 or 5 colonists at one point all going at once, suddenly I only had 3 colonists and 5 colonies which cost me 20 gold per month maintenance and almost bankrupted me. Not sure what happened there but it was fine in the end.
I dont know how you would have had more than 3 colonists, but to explain it: Each colony costs a base of 2.0 ducats a month in upkeep. You can have one growing colony per colonists in your pool. Thus if you have three colonists and three colonies, you are paying 2.0 per colony. If you go over that limit you pay double for the colony that is over. The doubling continues. Thus if you have three colonists and five colonies, you will be paying 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 + 8. As the colonies finish, are abandoned, or are lost in war, the costs re-settle to normal.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont know how you would have had more than 3 colonists, but to explain it: Each colony costs a base of 2.0 ducats a month in upkeep. You can have one growing colony per colonists in your pool. Thus if you have three colonists and three colonies, you are paying 2.0 per colony. If you go over that limit you pay double for the colony that is over. The doubling continues. Thus if you have three colonists and five colonies, you will be paying 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 + 8. As the colonies finish, are abandoned, or are lost in war, the costs re-settle to normal.

Maybe I didn't and that would explain how I got myself into that situation.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's a thing they added that does very limited things and takes some care and attention to increase or optimize in any way. 99% of the time I forget it's even there. The bonuses aren't good enough for me to really base my wars or plans on, so it's just some bloat sitting up there on the bar.

lol ok

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

If Humiliate wasn't so expensive I'd probably care about it a lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
In the early game I always humiliate. It used to stagnate where it's too much effort by the later game when your only rivals are like the commonwealth and ottomans, but with great powers passively giving PP and extra from privateering, I make sure to stay over 50 pretty much from start to finish now. +1 in every stat is worth going a little bit out of your way for, and then the other bonuses hardly hurt.

• Locked thread