Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The C6 also has better response times or whatever for gaming, but the B6 is getting fixed I guess?

I have the C6. I did not get the E6 because I couldn't get the soundbar to look right on my TV stand with my current audio setup.

I find many curves to be too much but the LG one is subtle and I barely notice it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the curve is really subtle.

The C6, E6, and G6 all use the same internal custom SoC while the B6 uses a less powerful off the shelf SoC. So, that has two effects. One, it's just less powerful. Two, it is not going to be updated in the same cadence as the other 3 since it doesn't share the same code branch.

The B6 is a brilliant TV, but I wouldn't recommend it over the C6 unless you REALLY can't deal with the curve.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm considering picking up a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV, to upgrade my current setup. I've research a bit, but I'd like to see if anyone has any recommendations to help me filter my search.

I have a 42" 1080p panasonic plasma TV. I was totally in love with plasmas, and was really sad to see them die out. I told myself I would never get rid of this TV, but now I live in a larger house, and would like something a little bit bigger (I'm thinking 55" range).

For someone who really loves plasma, does anyone have any suggestion for a brand/style/etc that I should start my search at?

For reference, it took me about a month or so to pick out my TV. Since they're used multiple times a week, and for years, I make drat sure to try to pick out the best option I can. For my last TV, I just went around looking at options in person, reading reviews, and then landed on the TV I thought looked the best. Unfortunately, I don't have that much time anymore so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any preliminary suggestions so I can target my search a bit.

e: also, I only have a need and room for one TV so I'm not sure what to do with my plasma if I were to upgrade. Something I need to think about. It's almost a relic since they don't make them anymore.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You want the 2016 55" LG OLED, only real worthy upgrade to a panasonic plasma.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You want an LG OLED.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Whose gonna get one of these?

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Features.aspx

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Enos Cabell posted:

You want the 2016 55" LG OLED, only real worthy upgrade to a panasonic plasma.

I was a Bad Poster and posted before I read the last few pages and saw this posted several times. I'll look into that, thank you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've often felt that Oppos are overrated. They have all the bells and whistles, but how much of that is really needed?

The Xbone may be worth revisiting soon, bitstream support was going to the preview channel this week.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Question for the thread wizards: Is my 5 year old Denon AVR-1611 going to be a problem if I get a new 4k tv and xbone? It has HDMI 1.4a

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 7 year old 40" Samsung is getting REAL loud with the fans so I am expecting it to die any day now.

What is a good option for something midgrade that sits in a living room without dedicated speakers? I would save the LG OLED for when I get a proper theatre type room (hopefully some day).

75% of the time we use an appletv 4 with Netflix, iTunes movies etc, with the rest being a cable box. My two most important features after decent picture and sound are:

1) powers on fast
2) switches inputs fast
3) (bonus) supports iphone app remote (nice to have)

So basically my question is who makes the most responsive tvs these days? Or is there not much difference?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Question for the thread wizards: Is my 5 year old Denon AVR-1611 going to be a problem if I get a new 4k tv and xbone? It has HDMI 1.4a

You aren't going to be able to pass 4k through the receiver. You need HDMI 2.0 as well as HDCP 2.2 support.

So, if you went the Xbone route for a UHD player, you would have to connect it directly to the TV to get UHD output and then connect the audio separately. Since the Xbone doesn't have dual HDMI outputs, you would lose out on high resolution audio.

Only way to retain high res audio and get UHD output from discs is to buy a player with dual HDMI.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

priznat posted:

My 7 year old 40" Samsung is getting REAL loud with the fans so I am expecting it to die any day now.

What is a good option for something midgrade that sits in a living room without dedicated speakers? I would save the LG OLED for when I get a proper theatre type room (hopefully some day).

75% of the time we use an appletv 4 with Netflix, iTunes movies etc, with the rest being a cable box. My two most important features after decent picture and sound are:

1) powers on fast
2) switches inputs fast
3) (bonus) supports iphone app remote (nice to have)

So basically my question is who makes the most responsive tvs these days? Or is there not much difference?

Get a Vizio, I've had good luck with my M series. You won't get #3 though. 1 and 2 are fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You aren't going to be able to pass 4k through the receiver. You need HDMI 2.0 as well as HDCP 2.2 support.

So, if you went the Xbone route for a UHD player, you would have to connect it directly to the TV to get UHD output and then connect the audio separately. Since the Xbone doesn't have dual HDMI outputs, you would lose out on high resolution audio.

Only way to retain high res audio and get UHD output from discs is to buy a player with dual HDMI.

Bummer, I hadn't really considered that earlier. Might have to push this back a year so I can afford to replace the receiver at the same time. Guess that's just more time for prices to come down!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Get a Vizio, I've had good luck with my M series. You won't get #3 though. 1 and 2 are fine.

Cool, I've been looking at the Vizios on Costco's site so it is one to consider. I figured there probably aren't many (if any) iphone supporting tvs :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

priznat posted:

Cool, I've been looking at the Vizios on Costco's site so it is one to consider. I figured there probably aren't many (if any) iphone supporting tvs :(

Just don't get the D series. P > M > E > D.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Just don't get the D series. P > M > E > D.

Nice, later in alphabet = better. Now I will remember what is what.

I also do kind of wish they were on a pedestal as well so we could swivel it towards the dining room. But could always get a wall mount. Seems like not many swivel pedestals anymore and mostly the sets of feet. Guessing due to tvs toppling over onto kids or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can always buy a VESA mount. There's surely one available that swivels. The one I got for my Sony is vastly better than the stock stand

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Can't #3 be accomplished with a 60-100 dollar Harmony hub?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I owned a Harmony link which got EOL'd and unsupported so drat fast I barely got any use out of it and was quite annoyed.

It still worked but never got updates and sucked poo poo.

Now I am looking at the vizio P65-C1, looks pretty swank.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

priznat posted:

Nice, later in alphabet = better. Now I will remember what is what.

I also do kind of wish they were on a pedestal as well so we could swivel it towards the dining room. But could always get a wall mount. Seems like not many swivel pedestals anymore and mostly the sets of feet. Guessing due to tvs toppling over onto kids or whatever.

You can always get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Factory-Rolling-Mobile-Plasma/dp/B017XXYLNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481727342&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+cart

We got one for work.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

We got a new shiny Samsung 60" KU6300 TV and a Samsung HW-K550 soundbar. I currently have the soundbar hooked up to the TV via HDMI 3 (ARC) and everything is working aside from one detail. When I turn the TV on, the TV defaults to outputting audio via the TV speakers, and it does not automatically turn the soundbar on. If I tell the TV to output audio via the soundbar, it'll turn it on and everything works great after that point.

Is there any way I can set things up so that the soundbar comes on with the TV and the audio output device is set correctly? I feel like I had it working this way at some point, but I can't seem to get it to do it correctly again...

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I need to get a new Blu Ray player. Is it worth investing in a 4K player, even though I don't have a 4K TV yet? Which player should I get? I don't need 3D or anything. Netflix 4K could be cool, but I assume that'll come with whatever 4K TV I'll get in the future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's only a handful of players and they're all quite expensive. Just get a cheap normal BD player (or shell out like $100 for a multi region if you want something new to play with) and get the UHD player when you can make use of it properly, prices will be down, and it'll be a generation along or more.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've been saving up for a TV and am ready to buy one. The issue is I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and order now, wait to see if there's any Christmas time sales, or see if CES announcements result in price drops or new models at good prices. I'm currently looking at LG's 65" OLED line. Any advice?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I ordered from Cleveland Plasma and got a better deal than I will likely ever see locally.

In terms of waiting for next years model I am beyond happy with the uniformity and banding (none noticeable) that were the biggest problems between the EF9500 and B6/C6 series.

So I am glad I waited but now I am not sure what is going to get better. I need no improvements. Will prices drop a bit? Maybe, but I feel like they won't really need to? Don't have evidence of that, just a feeling.

Also for 4K player there are some good deals on Xbox ones if that's your thing. I love the One S.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think you should very confident grabbing a C6. If you are totally against curve I'd maybe wait but honestly the LG curved screen is so subtle you don't even notice it. There are a few of us here with the C6 and I don't think anyone would hesitate buying it again.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

I ordered from Cleveland Plasma and got a better deal than I will likely ever see locally.

Speaking of which, I emailed the owner about an LG OLED at your suggestion and he just straight up stopped responding to my emails once he said he needed to get formal shipping quotes. I have little doubt that shipping to me was going to make an order not feasible, but it was still pretty disappointing to get ghosted. I sent him a gentle follow up email and still nothing. I recognize that some people just respond better with phone communication, but if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on electronics I'd prefer at least some of the correspondence to be electronic so I have a record.

It killed my momentum moving forward with a purchase from any vendor, so the silver lining is I saved a bunch of money :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boz0r posted:

I need to get a new Blu Ray player. Is it worth investing in a 4K player, even though I don't have a 4K TV yet? Which player should I get? I don't need 3D or anything. Netflix 4K could be cool, but I assume that'll come with whatever 4K TV I'll get in the future.

It's worth investing in the discs, but not the player, if you don't have a 4k TV. The UHD releases all contain a regular bluray, so you can make your library future compatible.

There's no advantage to putting a 4k player on an HD TV and the amount the players drop in price will likely be more than you spend on a normal bluray player now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

Speaking of which, I emailed the owner about an LG OLED at your suggestion and he just straight up stopped responding to my emails once he said he needed to get formal shipping quotes. I have little doubt that shipping to me was going to make an order not feasible, but it was still pretty disappointing to get ghosted. I sent him a gentle follow up email and still nothing. I recognize that some people just respond better with phone communication, but if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on electronics I'd prefer at least some of the correspondence to be electronic so I have a record.

It killed my momentum moving forward with a purchase from any vendor, so the silver lining is I saved a bunch of money :v:

Weird. I think he gets a lot of people on fishing expeditions and the reason why he's cheap is because the customer service isn't a bunch of back and forth.

I dunno. I read a million reviews. Got the price within 2 emails, then called and ordered. I used my AmEx's purchase protection for all of the protection I felt like I needed.

Seems pretty easy to pick up a phone and go "Do you ship to Alaska? How much for a 65" OLED with that shipping?" Not like you don't get an invoice immediately and shipping within 24 hours but idk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

When I ordered from CP, I decided at 10:30pm that I was going to pull the trigger and sent the email saying that I accepted the quote and I would call tomorrow to arrange payment.

I got an email back within 1 minute saying "You can call right now, we'll get it shipped out tomorrow."

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Weird. I think he gets a lot of people on fishing expeditions and the reason why he's cheap is because the customer service isn't a bunch of back and forth.

I dunno. I read a million reviews. Got the price within 2 emails, then called and ordered. I used my AmEx's purchase protection for all of the protection I felt like I needed.

Seems pretty easy to pick up a phone and go "Do you ship to Alaska? How much for a 65" OLED with that shipping?" Not like you don't get an invoice immediately and shipping within 24 hours but idk.

Yeah I'm not certain what was up. I mean, I asked about the price for a 55 and 65 OLED, and if he shipped to Alaska. He said yup, here's the price before shipping, need your full address to get an actual shipping quote. I provided it, and then nothing. Sent a note a couple days later to check on if he'd had a chance to getting a shipping cost to my address, and then nothing.

It's not a huge deal, and if I was more committed I'd just pick up the phone and call. I still think shipping to Alaska turned out to be more trouble than it was worth and it was easy for him to focus on other customers. I don't necessarily blame him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

In terms of waiting for next years model I am beyond happy with the uniformity and banding (none noticeable) that were the biggest problems between the EF9500 and B6/C6 series.

I think after 5 months of running my 2015 in, the banding is the only issue that bugs me these days. I'm over motion not being perfect, as comparing it to any other set or even the best theatrical projection in the area I think I'm asking too much (I'd like to see it with more native 60fps content out of curiosity if nothing else). I'm not sure how bad the banding is on mine compared to others as I can't be bothered to take photos and post to AVS and have them ooh and arr over it as there's not much to be gained. I don't see it 90% of the time, and most of the time I do it's because of shoddy mastering on the product side.

Can't see me wanting to change for years and years, these sets are just so good. It'll be interesting to see what Sony bring to the game.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My parents are getting themselves the B6 55" for Christmas. Their receiver, however, doesn't have HDMI ports. I assume the best approach is to get an HDMI/audio splitter? What's the best model that won't degrade quality?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What are some of the better 4k HDR movies to watch to show it off? I'm watching Lego Movie right now with the kids and it's pretty impressive. Only other one I bought so far was Mad Max.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

What are some of the better 4k HDR movies to watch to show it off? I'm watching Lego Movie right now with the kids and it's pretty impressive. Only other one I bought so far was Mad Max.

Same question. I checked out 4K or UHD or whatever on YouTube, there is some cool nature reference material there. Phone posting or I'd put a link.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Star Trek and Into Darkness were two titles I remember were blowing people away.

It's worth remembering that a lot of titles on UHD are 2K upscaled with the HDR element being the main difference over the bluray.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

uwaeve posted:

Same question. I checked out 4K or UHD or whatever on YouTube, there is some cool nature reference material there. Phone posting or I'd put a link.

Roku has a 4k app that links to a bunch of those videos, they're so nice to watch. My favorite to watch so far is The Grand Tour on Amazon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grand Tour on Amazon, it's breathtaking.

This is also the perfect time to catch up (if you haven't watched yet) with The Man in the High Castle. Season 2 drops tomorrow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Grand Tour on Amazon, it's breathtaking.

All you need is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They should do a version without the presenters.