Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Apparently the new gil seller bot strategy is to put their site's URL in their name, and then send out party invites to people, because you can't report them unless they send you a tell.

At least it's good knowing that the report system has been pretty effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently the new gil seller bot strategy is to put their site's URL in their name, and then send out party invites to people, because you can't report them unless they send you a tell.

Or if they use any other chat mode, but the point stands that the party invite method does not let you report them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I wonder how long it'll be before a report button is added to party invites then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

At least it's good knowing that the report system has been pretty effective.

I don't get the thought process behind this. "You coerced me into this party? Dammit! Guess I'll spend real money to buy some of your fake money :saddowns: "

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

seiferguy posted:

I don't get the thought process behind this. "You coerced me into this party? Dammit! Guess I'll spend real money to buy some of your fake money :saddowns: "

Name awareness. They plant the seed of their name. Then, when those who do want to buy Gil go online, they'll recognize a familiar name and buy there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

It's just typical advertising. If you send out a million party invites, eventually you're going to get someone who will at some point in the future buy gil, and they'll remember that P\/P-B@|\|K:h: (:h: = .C0M) has the best deals, handwork guaranteed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
They just need to add the report function to the menu you get when right-clicking a name because you can right click someone's name in your system log after they send you a party invite and it's basically the same menu as you see in chat, minus the report function.

FFXIV's UI has always been weird, especially when it comes to the options you're given when right-clicking people since you flat out do not get things like search info if you don't open the menu from certain methods.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Chaitai posted:

I'm wanting to get back into this and have a 60 WHM. How much of the post-60 content is solo-able? I think I quit right after Sephirot was released? I just had a kid so I can't commit to any dungeon runs cuz who knows when the little guy will wake up and demand my attention.
The main story includes a dungeon each patch, which could be a barrier. Palace of the Dead can be soloed (not all the way to 200, but maybe 150 depending on job), which lets me do it at work where I might be interrupted, but it's not completely safe, and there's a clock running so you can't wait indefinitely. There's a bunch of new stuff to craft and harvest since Sephirot if you care about that.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chaitai posted:

I'm wanting to get back into this and have a 60 WHM. How much of the post-60 content is solo-able? I think I quit right after Sephirot was released? I just had a kid so I can't commit to any dungeon runs cuz who knows when the little guy will wake up and demand my attention.

This probably isn't a good use of your money if you literally can't do any dungeons or group content. If you're wanting all solo content in an MMO SWTOR and ESO are more built that way.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Fister Roboto posted:

No I pulled and tanked the final boss of Xelphatol as a MCH. Nobody died. At the end, after I had literally done the tank's job for him, he said "maybe you should let the tank do his job next time" and left.

He was just hurt because you emasculated him.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SpaceDrake posted:

I would seriously and unironically be down for Hydaelyn to go full YHVH on us. There's already a *lot* of hints.

Hydaelyn is dumb as a sack of rocks (crystals, as the case may be), which is why Minfilia is her chosen avatar. She's far too stupid to be pulling any sort of intentional deception.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Minfilia is her avatar right now because she was the nearest and least useful person near by an instant aether stream that had the echo. Any other person with the echo is either too useful or was too far away from the spell Y'shtola was about to cast.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Hydaelyn is dumb as a sack of rocks (crystals, as the case may be), which is why Minfilia is her chosen avatar. She's far too stupid to be pulling any sort of intentional deception.

Hydaelyn isn't very deceptive, but we also have yet to be cross-purpose with her, so we've got zero reason for her to HAVE been. Who knows if/when that'll happen, considering I'm not sold that the PC is not just the Primal of Light or some other nonsense.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Protip for newbie tanks out there: if someone pulls before you, don't be a huge baby about it and do the whole "well if you want to tank I'll let you tank" thing. Do your loving job.

Especially if you're a dark knight.

To be fair I find dps doing that to be extremely obnoxious. If I'm pausing for a second, I'm doing it for a reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rhymenoserous posted:

To be fair I find dps doing that to be extremely obnoxious. If I'm pausing for a second, I'm doing it for a reason.

Yeah neither Fister nor his tank comes off well in that story

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fister said that he ripped hate off the tank and the tank refused to pull it back out of spite. This wasn't a pulling ahead story.

In general, though, tanks should just grab hate and roll with it. It's not that big of a deal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fister said that he ripped hate off the tank and the tank refused to pull it back out of spite. This wasn't a pulling ahead story.

In general, though, tanks should just grab hate and roll with it. It's not that big of a deal.

Fister Roboto posted:

if someone pulls before you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, it's true, I pulled the boss, I didn't just rip threat. I never said I was blameless in this scenario, just that throwing a tantrum about it in the worst possible way is dumb.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When I'm tanking, if I notice someone pulls instead of me I assume they've got someplace to be in a little while and need to speed things up a bit. Or they had autorun on.

Having been the impatient DPS who wants to high speed, low-drag their way through exdr I totally get it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xarbala posted:

When I'm tanking, if I notice someone pulls instead of me I assume they've got someplace to be in a little while and need to speed things up a bit. Or they had autorun on.

Having been the impatient DPS who wants to high speed, low-drag their way through exdr I totally get it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
seriously, getting mad because some dps pulled a mob/boss has to be one of the dumbest things to feel slighted about. who gives a poo poo? you'll probably have a faster run, oh no!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I'll probably roll my eyes but that's about the extent of it.

Unless I was waiting for a reason, like I dunno, the healer mentioned they were going afk or (especially in 24-mans) a lot of the group is still well outside the gate. There's pulling fast understandably and then there's letting your impatience make you out to clearly be a dumbass with poor judgment/awareness.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vil posted:

Yeah, I'll probably roll my eyes but that's about the extent of it.

Unless I was waiting for a reason, like I dunno, the healer mentioned they were going afk or (especially in 24-mans) a lot of the group is still well outside the gate. There's pulling fast understandably and then there's letting your impatience make you out to clearly be a dumbass with poor judgment/awareness.

TBH I usually use getting up to the gate as a few second breather to take a drink or whatever since I probably just did a monster pull, so a DPS that pulls in that situation is simply going to have to try and live through a few hits. I'm not going to refuse to tank, but I'm not going to dump a cup of water in my lap to save him either. Often enough I have a pocket healer so if the DPS guy has been consistently lovely about doing this I may tell the healer to let him suck dirt for a few out of sheer pettyness.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The proper way to deal with someone like me is to sit just outside the boss arena so that you get locked out, then say "sorry I had to answer the door" or whatever. It's plausible and it makes the person who pulled look like an rear end in a top hat. Trying to teach someone a lesson by deliberately not holding threat just makes you look like a big dumb baby.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Velthice posted:

seriously, getting mad because some dps pulled a mob/boss has to be one of the dumbest things to feel slighted about. who gives a poo poo? you'll probably have a faster run, oh no!

If they do it once or twice by accident, idgaf.

If they *keep* doing it through the entire run, they can gently caress off and roll a tank class if they want tank so badly.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

dumb. posted:

If they do it once or twice by accident, idgaf.

If they *keep* doing it through the entire run, they can gently caress off and roll a tank class if they want tank so badly.

If they keep doing it it probably means you need to stop being a slow, weak babby tank. Tanks are optional in all DF content.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Look at all these Slow Pulling Respectful Tanks in this dying comedy subforum.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm pretty glad I don't play on the Primal data center with all the :gitgud: posting in this thread. It's good that the community at large in the game is generally pretty chill and respectful.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

I'm pretty glad I don't play on the Primal data center

finally, agreement

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
joking aside, balmung is in the top quartile of NA servers for per-capita alexander savage progression anyway--generally below only the big "raiding" servers (gilgamesh, behemoth, sargantas, excalibur) so i have extremely unfortunate news for you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
poo poo, if you really wanted a chill, respectful, no-raiders-allowed treehouse you'd be on jenova or something

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only time I get annoyed with DPS who pull faster than I do is when they're being stupid about it and wasting everyone's time by causing wipes/dying trying to do things faster than the group can handle.

The only time I have ever been told to pull faster is because we have someone new and I'm busy typing up the cliff notes 'this is what you need to know to do this fight' blurb on a boss for them.

Virulence posted:

If they keep doing it it probably means you need to stop being a slow, weak babby tank. Tanks are optional in all DF content.

But Healer's aren't and they hold the final decision on who gets to live and who gets to die :smuggo:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Reiterpallasch posted:

joking aside, balmung is in the top quartile of NA servers for per-capita alexander savage progression anyway--generally below only the big "raiding" servers (gilgamesh, behemoth, sargantas, excalibur) so i have extremely unfortunate news for you

Raiders are fine, though we really only have one big raiding guild on Balmung. You don't need to be a tool to be a raider, and vice versa.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Verranicus posted:

I'm pretty glad I don't play on the Primal data center with all the :gitgud: posting in this thread. It's good that the community at large in the game is generally pretty chill and respectful.

It's even better when you're on the JP data centers. The average player skill is massively increased, but the tradeoff is that DF runs are generally done in silence and what few E players you do find are pretty chill.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I might be unlucky but the Primal Datacenter Tank population is just sort of dickish in general. In PotD and low level dungeons (just now about to unlock Blackmage) tanks seem to be primadonnas almost every run.
In PotD they flip out if you run away from the group to go kill another room, will refuse to move on unless all chests are open despite the chests being 4th items and if anyone else uses Pomanders they will initiate vote kicks. This is all pre-51 by the way.

In low level dungeons leading up to Totorak "I set the speed." is the general mentality.
My main character is on Aether and everyone is pretty loving chill there.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's me, i'm a balmung a12s farmer

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

EponymousMrYar posted:

But Healer's aren't

actually...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
everyone is chill to me, because i'm good so they have no reason to say anything

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Countblanc posted:

everyone is chill to me, because i'm good so they have no reason to say anything

The only thing people usually say to me is "daaaaaaaaamn" because I do hella dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

TheHeadSage posted:

It's even better when you're on the JP data centers. The average player skill is massively increased, but the tradeoff is that DF runs are generally done in silence and what few E players you do find are pretty chill.

Yeah coming from playing a Bard on FFXI I got to experience the best of both worlds and had NA and JP players falling over themselves to invite me and I can say without a doubt the JP players were usually more pleasant to be around.

• Locked thread