Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

The fur industry employs people and generates tax income in a era when the Norwegian economy is struggling. We have to keep it even if it is barbaric.

Considering that the state is subsidizing the industry with 40 million kroner each year I'm not so sure it would be bad for the economy to get rid off the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Malmö was originally built on a swamp that was drained. Apparently drain the swamp didn't work.
Well the king said it was daft to build a city on a swamp, but I built it all the same. Just to show him! It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one! That burned down, fell over then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's very cute to travel around the Swedish countryside and immediately be able to identify which cities burned down in the 19-20th century just by how the city center's look. It's this weird collective part of our history that is just never talked about.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

Considering that the state is subsidizing the industry with 40 million kroner each year I'm not so sure it would be bad for the economy to get rid off the industry.
Would be more efficient to just pay people directly to torture cute animals.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

No that's just cats.

This is the truth. My neighbors cat has decided to adopt me and has decided that clawing my neck and back is an appropriate way of thanking me for petting it.

That and tearing up my favorite shirt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Would be more efficient to just pay people directly to torture cute animals.

It's basically what we are doing now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

VI blir faen meg ikke kvitt ham: http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/aina-stenersen-trekker-seg-vil-ikke-kjempe-mot-carl-i-hagen-likevel/66027029

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It's basically what we are doing now.
Are you sure? It's not paying companies to employ people to torture animals, where the company pockets the majority of the subsidy?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you sure? It's not paying companies to employ people to torture animals, where the company pockets the majority of the subsidy?
If the government openly said that the they would pay for the torture of cute animals, "companies that employ people to torture animals, where the company pockets the majority of the subsidy" is exactly what would happen.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Biomute posted:

I'd be all for Norwegian farmers blowing me away with their technological know-how. I'm not worried by GMO's or whatever if they can produce a superior product, but I don't want to pay a premum without anything in return, and while our milk farmers talk a good game about how they treat their cows and stuff I'm not that convinced considering other things our farmers will do, nor do I care enough to make it my primary concern.

It's funny you should mention GMOs, because the production and importation for resale of products with GMO in the supply chain is all but banned in Norway. That limits our selection a lot right there, and if you want variety I think it makes more sense to try to ease specific regulation like that (food safety regulation in general is pretty strict, and the barriers to entry in retail are high, so we have only a few, big actors who extract a lot of value) than to pile scorn on the farmers. It's not exactly a profession people are dying to get into, and there are good reasons for that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

If the government openly said that the they would pay for the torture of cute animals, "companies that employ people to torture animals, where the company pockets the majority of the subsidy" is exactly what would happen.
Sure, if you remove the differences between the policies so they're the same, then they're the same.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I think it's very cute to travel around the Swedish countryside and immediately be able to identify which cities burned down in the 19-20th century just by how the city center's look. It's this weird collective part of our history that is just never talked about.

Well, you do also have a bunch of old city centres that got bulldozed in the 50-60s in the name of progress and modernisation.
I think Katrineholm is one of those.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cardiac posted:

Well, you do also have a bunch of old city centres that got bulldozed in the 50-60s in the name of progress and modernisation.
I think Katrineholm is one of those.

If you think Stockholm didn't desperately need to unfuck its city center in the 60s you're out of your mind.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groda posted:

If you think Stockholm didn't desperately need to unfuck its city center in the 60s you're out of your mind.

And how is that working out? I hear about the traffic in Stockholm and feel relief for not commuting there. The NIMBY is strong there.
As for hosed up city centres, I just came back from London and that is just a mess.
You would think the nazis bombing the poo poo out of London in WWII would have lead to a redesign, but no.
It is not like Paris where boulevards were designed in order to make barricades impossible and therefore cavalry shocks possible.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
"Let's build on a set of small islands next to a steep cliff!" is a great idea for a medieval architect designing a small, fortified capital. It's a horrible, horrible idea for a modern city with more than a million inhabitants.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sounds like we're in agreement, sending nukes to stockholm in 3,2,1...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lilljonas posted:

"Let's build on a set of small islands next to a steep cliff!" is a great idea for a medieval architect designing a small, fortified capital. It's a horrible, horrible idea for a modern city with more than a million inhabitants.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but wasn't Stockholm originally built as a kind of Viking trade town, in the sense that there were a bunch of poles (Stock) set around the port entry waterways to make it as nonviable as possible for boats to invade it without proper maps?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I'm not 100 percent sure, but wasn't Stockholm originally built as a kind of Viking trade town, in the sense that there were a bunch of poles (Stock) set around the port entry waterways to make it as nonviable as possible for boats to invade it without proper maps?

Isn't that Birka, which is not that close to Stockholm?
If I recall my history Stockholm was relatively lately settled in comparison to other settlements like Uppsala, Lund and then mainly for controlling the sea ways to Malaren. Kalmar for example was a very important city around Knut the great (who managed to be king 5 times)

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Seeing the dear jarl's face everywhere in Stockholm makes me think it's 13th century. It is on par with new Uppsala (maybe not old)? I'm enjoying not googling this.

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
"Killgissning"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cardiac posted:

If I recall my history Stockholm was relatively lately settled in comparison to other settlements like Uppsala, Lund and then mainly for controlling the sea ways to Malaren. Kalmar for example was a very important city around Knut the great (who managed to be king 5 times)

Probably. I haven't read Swedish history in years.

Edit: vvv I remember driving to Stockholm a few years back. It was bad, and I got really stressed out after spending most of my time driving through smaller communities... but it was nothing compared to driving home again. In the dark. During rush hour. Or at least what I perceived to be.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 13, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

And how is that working out? I hear about the traffic in Stockholm and feel relief for not commuting there.

Anyone insane enough to drive past the first subway station on their way in deserves whatever suffering they are in for by the time they reach Slussen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiac posted:

IIRC, the reason for Stockholm's existence is basically that isostatic rebound eventually plugged up the "Mälaren Bay", encouraging the creation of a new port in the area that become Stockholm.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
cuckholm..

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
I had a small assignment regarding the founding of Stockholm in my History-class, the city Stockholm was first mentioned in some letter from 1252 or something, but it was founded before that. As to when, I'm not sure we know.
I've also heard of the "stock" theory for what it's worth.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Svartvit posted:

Seeing the dear jarl's face everywhere in Stockholm makes me think it's 13th century. It is on par with new Uppsala (maybe not old)? I'm enjoying not googling this.
What's that about Uppsala?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's that about Uppsala?

The name Uppsala was moved from old Uppsala to a newer town called Eastern Aros. The old one is really old and apparently used to be a King's seat. There's a museum there now.

IIRC there's also an old Gothenburg in what is now called Lödöse. There's a museum there too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm ashamed that virtue signaling, or 'godhetsignalering' as it is in Swedish, has seriously become an actual rhetorical tool in media in the last month.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
There is also an old Lund in todays Uppåkra that is supposedly almost 2k years old and at least 8 times the size of Birka, and larger than Hedeby was, making it the largest pre-medieval settlement in Scandinavia iirc. It's almost unheard of for some reason.

Fox Cunning fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 13, 2016

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

MiddleOne posted:

I'm ashamed that virtue signaling, or 'godhetsignalering' as it is in Swedish, has seriously become an actual rhetorical tool in media in the last month.
I take it this is re: the immigrants are coming in droves to our utopian country? Norway coined the term "godhetstyranniet" (the tyranny of virtue) last year :negative:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Svartvit posted:

The name Uppsala was moved from old Uppsala to a newer town called Eastern Aros. The old one is really old and apparently used to be a King's seat. There's a museum there now.

IIRC there's also an old Gothenburg in what is now called Lödöse. There's a museum there too.

No, Lödöse was a separate town to Gothenburg, it was the most western town of Sweden and was quite old. However, it was deemed too far upstream of the river to be safe from Danish control of the river inlet which was the only way to avoid Danish taxes, on top of this it was badly placed for defense and was burned down by the Danes a few times, so the king forcefully evacuated most people and moved them downstream to what is now known as "Gamlestan" which is significantly to the east and further upstream of the current city center. This was also deemed to be a lovely location, most likely because it was torched by the Danes several times. Thus it was yet again moved further downstream to some steep rocks in the swamp overlooking the river inlet, this is where the current city center is located. Finally they had found a more defensible position! That did little to discourage the Danes though, as they kept on burning all that poo poo down for centuries to come!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

No, Lödöse was a separate town to Gothenburg, it was the most western town of Sweden and was quite old. However, it was deemed too far upstream of the river to be safe from Danish control of the river inlet which was the only way to avoid Danish taxes, on top of this it was badly placed for defense and was burned down by the Danes a few times, so the king forcefully evacuated most people and moved them downstream to what is now known as "Gamlestan" which is significantly to the east and further upstream of the current city center. This was also deemed to be a lovely location, most likely because it was torched by the Danes several times. Thus it was yet again moved further downstream to some steep rocks in the swamp overlooking the river inlet, this is where the current city center is located. Finally they had found a more defensible position! That did little to discourage the Danes though, as they kept on burning all that poo poo down for centuries to come!

Life lesson, gently caress the danes

The Last Kingdom is also a good exploration of this complex theme.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Just last month?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Just last month?

I might just not read enough evening papers but it's been on 'krackelerar' levels in the last week.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So nice to see Denmark showing the path toward a brave new Nordic welfare state. :nsa:

http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sjuka-anita-straffas--for-att-hon-orkat-baka/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nenonen posted:

So nice to see Denmark showing the path toward a brave new Nordic welfare state. :nsa:

http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sjuka-anita-straffas--for-att-hon-orkat-baka/

Jag skulle säga att jag var förvånad men de nya arbetsförmåga-bedömningarna som har blivit standard i socialtjänsten och försäkringskassan appliceras minst like godtyckligt här i Sverige. Hela idén med den moderna formen av behovsprövad välfärd där tjänstemän ska agera domare och subjektivt tolka förmåga är ett gissel som lämnar allt för mycket godtycklighet till besluten. Stockholm Stad till exempel har raffinerat godtyckligheten i deras regler till en konstform där vem som helst kan bli vänd bort av socialtjänsten för att de brutit någon oskriven ide om vad som är okej för bidragstagare att syssla med.

Det här är inte ens ett unikt skandinaviskt problem. EU har jobbat stenhårt det senaste årtiondet genom ett antal mjukreform mekanismer för att långsamt standardisera hur medlemsstaternas byråkratier pratar om, arbetar med och bedömer arbetslöshet till något som i princip bara existerar för att neka åtkomst till de sociala skyddsnäten.

EDIT: English version, just watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWgxw9E_h4

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 14, 2016

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Nenonen posted:

As is common with all Scandinavians, we're always harping on about the death of the welfare state.

However, now that we have Liberal Alliance in government, whose leader (Anders Samuelsen) has Ayn Rand as his favourite author, poo poo might be about to go down in the name of COMPETITIVENESS™

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I'm seeing odd differences in the reports from Expressen vs. the Danish media I usually visit.

Espressen posted:

Ålborgs kommun har efter kritikstormen uttalat sig – och de ser inga problem i att deras handledare hämtar information om de anställda via sociala medier. Kommunen menar att de, ifall någon misstanke uppstår, kan ringa och reda ut hur det verkligen står till.
– Men en Facebook-koll kan inte stå ensam i vår värdering, säger Jesper Dahlgaard, som är chef över Anita Bang Degns handledare, till TV2.

Berlingske Tidende posted:

I Aalborg Kommune beklager jobcenterchef, Jesper Dahlgaard, forløbet.

»Jeg kan kun beklage, at det er sådan, sagen er endt, for sådan skal det ikke være,« siger han.

Kommunen vil nu kontakte Anita Bang Degn for at sige undskyld og for at finde den rette løsning, for det er ikke meningen, at kommunens medarbejdere træffer beslutninger på baggrund af en Facebook-opdatering uden at indkalde til et møde og snakke om tingene, forklarer jobcenterchefen.

»Generelt bruger vi ikke Facebook, for vi har tillid til borgerne, og sådan skal det også være,« siger han.
Link: http://www.b.dk/nationalt/kommunen-saa-paa-facebook-at-anita-havde-bagt-smaakager-saa-satte-de-hendes-arbej

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Foulbrood posted:

As is common with all Scandinavians, we're always harping on about the death of the welfare state.

However, now that we have Liberal Alliance in government, whose leader (Anders Samuelsen) has Ayn Rand as his favourite author, poo poo might be about to go down in the name of COMPETITIVENESS™

In Sweden we have Annie Lööf, leader of Centerpartiet (the old Farmer's league which these days has morphed into a weird business-first party with a mix of rural centrists and inner city libertarians) who idolises Thatcher and Rand. Reassuring to know that if the right-wing alliance wins back power in the next election, the party leaders will include a Randian, a Swedish neo-moralist Sarah Palin, and a woman behind the Moderate's new daring tactic of openly courting Swedish Democrat voters. Oh, and someone from the Liberals I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The liberals have been sending out signals that Jan Björklund is not comfortable with the current leadership of the other Alliance parties for the better part of the last year so there's that at least.