Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Or maybe its not new, and it is in fact something many of us have been criticizing him on for nearly eight years because in reality he pursued a lot of lovely policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i dunno about "best" but Obama is certainly the Dadliest prez

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
hey maybe even if Obama was a Double Double Secret Neoliberal Agent Animal Style people seem to approve of things like the ACA in the abstract and even Trump supporters seem to have wanted to fix its problems rather than abolish it completely, so maybe going forward we should say that we want to build on Obama's flawed achievements and make them what he would've wanted even if that's a lie because it plays better than screaming that every popular Democrat ever has really been a Dolchstoss

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That isnt to say he wasnt better than all of our alternatices because he was and i am glad he existed and beat them, but he is still a big part of why the dems are currently poo poo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

dilbro is kind of a cultural conservative, not a political one. there are lots of types of people who are cultural conservatives: religious conservatives, gun-rights or prepper types, and lately MRAs/neo-reactionaries/straight up nazis. a lot of these people have no political beliefs that could be remotely recognized as conservative, but nevertheless consolidate themselves into the larger conservative movement, whether because they're pandered to (religious), frightened into it (preppers) or they just identify their oppressors on the left (MRAs, nazis). i know some very politically apathetic old school chantard/troll types who nevertheless were rooting really hard for trump because they hate "SJWs" and identify those people with support of democrats/clinton.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

it was obamas job to get his party into line, it's what his base wanted, but he dropped the ball

if lieberman wanted to be a dick, you cut off his balls

that's how a party that gets things done operates

it worked pretty well until you realize that lieberman wasn't a dem

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
he has a tendency to avoid conflict, which was exploited by both his opposition and people within his own party who set out to prevent any kind of positive change in america, because they personally benefit from it

that makes him a puppet

maybe he doesn't see himself as a puppet, and maybe he says to himself that "well i wanted a public option but it just wasn't in the cards"

thing is, that's bullshit

more than making change, more than fulfilling his obligation, he wanted to be seen as a 'good guy',

that, is why he secretly didn't want to do any of the poo poo he promised to do

because then someone may not like him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Could also see him going for Governor.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/808828412869615617

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

By his own admission Obama's said politically he's more akin to an early 90's Republican, it's not like these are crazy impositions to make about his politics. Also, I still really don't get why Perez wants to be DNC chair.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Well he could have tried asking for it or somehow signaling its inclusion was important. From all appearances he never even supported implenting it.

From all appearances he was in absolute terms actually kind of super lovely, pro corporate, short sighted and so overly concerned with his legacy that he wasnt willing to do anything risky, which is ok because a lot of the stuff he wanted was more of the same poo poo that made so much of the country kind of lovely. Most of the genuinely good things he "accomplished" were done by others, and much of what he did personally either hosed the dems or the country over in the long run. Also, he is largely responsible for giving us the Hillary Campaign and giving additional weapons to Trump he could have done away with. In absolute terms, he was at best mediocre with a mix of good and bad, but imo it was mostly bad

Still, Obama is going to have a good reputation because at least he had an interest in governing and not destroying the country and boy oh boy are people going to be looking back on that sort of thing with nostalgia soon enough

He also had the bonus of seeming to be an actual human being who took his job seriously without letting it turn him into a machine

the public option? it was in the law until they had to make john mccain's bizzaro universe running mate happy

you either had his vote or no ACA at all

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

That isnt to say he wasnt better than all of our alternatices because he was and i am glad he existed and beat them, but he is still a big part of why the dems are currently poo poo
trying to be bipartisan goes only so far when your opponents are dragging the overton window with them for eight goddamned years

Aurubin posted:

By his own admission Obama's said politically he's more akin to an early 90's Republican, it's not like these are crazy impositions to make about his politics. Also, I still really don't get why Perez wants to be DNC chair.
also this

the school of reagan has left a long and destructive legacy for long enough and lmao if you think that economic model will continue to work

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i'm upset that the onion's secret agent kerry persona never took off

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dislike Kerry intensely but he has a shot at MA governor -- the current guy is a Republican after all. If we know what is good for us we will not let him run for loving President.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

hed be fine as a governor but lmao @ kerry for prez 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Controversial opinion: obama was not politically effective enough to keep democrats from losing power

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
NEVER
FORGET

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Controversial opinion: obama was not politically effective enough to keep democrats from losing power
*gasps, clutches pearls*

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I wanna see someone like Eldridge or Sannicandro take a run for governor but knowing our luck it's gonna be tsongas or Lynch

if someone could persuade Seth Moulton to run I'd be very happy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Control Volume posted:

Corollary: The Clintons are to blame for most of what's gone wrong for Democrats because they're the termites who ate away at the DNC for years. The fact that Obama carried the Rust Belt twice and Hillary pissed it away illustrates that he was an anomaly in terms of how Democrats campaigned.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Corollary: The Clintons are to blame for most of what's gone wrong for Democrats because they're the termites who ate away at the DNC for years.

The Clintons' tragic flaw is hubris, they spent years developing a stranglehold on the Democratic Party and assumed that translated to a stranglehold on the country

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Corollary: The Clintons are to blame for most of what's gone wrong for Democrats because they're the termites who ate away at the DNC for years. The fact that Obama carried the Rust Belt twice and Hillary pissed it away illustrates that he was an anomaly in terms of how Democrats campaigned.

Hahaha this site is still up http://www.hillaryis44.org/

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

at least we're finally free from the kind of politics clinton and obama practiced and can now reform the party in a positive directi *chelsea clinton and john kerry lurch from the shadows and tear out my throat just before the credits roll*

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Stexils posted:

at least we're finally free from the kind of politics clinton and obama practiced and can now reform the party in a positive directi *chelsea clinton and john kerry lurch from the shadows and tear out my throat just before the credits roll*
too early to speculate that honestly, i'm sure the DNC still wants to regain any power at all unless they have memories of literal goldfish

i mean six years of getting owned on downtickets should imprint some lesson

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey, maybe if we can shift the legislature to the left a bit it won't matter if the 2020 candidate isn't ideologically pure enough.

Serf
May 5, 2011

theory: both parties are run by morons, and people got tired of the left-side morons so they chose the right-side morons because at least that would be something loving different

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

y'know I like the new "Obama was always a puppet of the evil neoliberal conspiracy all along" historical paradigm y'all have decided on

and by "like" I am "am amused by"

no he can't just be an optimist with a desire to do good but who had a tendency to cave in prematurely and had to contend with some of the most rabid opponents of any president ever, Obama has to have been secretly evil all along

a lot of 'neoliberals' are optimists with a desire to do good. it's an ideology not a satanic pizza cult

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i dont actually think kerry or chelsea will run

2020 will probably be someone nobody here has ever heard of who managed to make a big stand against some of trumps upcoming legislative disasters

there will be plenty of opportunity for people to make names for themselves

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Peel posted:

a lot of 'neoliberals' are optimists with a desire to do good. it's an ideology not a satanic pizza cult
a key tenet of their ideology is that a lot of them (still) believe that capitalism by itself will solve any problem instead of just crush anyone but the top to dust

it's like nobody believed what happened in the 1890-1920s

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

theory: both parties are run by morons, and people got tired of the left-side morons so they chose the right-side morons because at least that would be something loving different

this is the laziest theory and one that multiple people have used to justify not doing anything to improve the dems

it's worse than blaming the FBI or Russia because at least if you're doing that you're getting mad about something instead of shrugging your shoulders

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if it was a satanic pizza cult, it might not be so lame

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Peel posted:

a lot of 'neoliberals' are optimists with a desire to do good.

you wouldn't think so given how this thread hisses at them like they're all literally Nosferatu instead of just figuratively so

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

if it was a satanic pizza cult, it might not be so lame

Would the conspiracy theory make more sense if the pizza place was next to a catholic church?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
my ideology is half satantic pizza cult, half anime critical analysis

Serf
May 5, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hey, maybe if we can shift the legislature to the left a bit it won't matter if the 2020 candidate isn't ideologically pure enough.

just so we're clear, I don't think anyone here wouldn't vote for a left-leaning candidate because they weren't left enough. Clinton wasn't my first choice, but I got out and voted for her in my solid-red state because I still know that voting for the best available option is better than holding out for some mythical perfect politician

loquacius posted:

this is the laziest theory and one that multiple people have used to justify not doing anything to improve the dems

it's worse than blaming the FBI or Russia because at least if you're doing that you're getting mad about something instead of shrugging your shoulders

nobody said anything about not doing something. you can be a pessimist and still do something because you might as loving well

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

you wouldn't think so given how this thread hisses at them like they're all literally Nosferatu instead of just figuratively so
*36 years of economic bootfacing*

umm *stomp* i think *stomp* thif goe*stomp*f beyond *stomp* naievete

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Somebody post that DailyKos story laughing about the coal miners again.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Aurubin posted:

Somebody post that DailyKos story laughing about the coal miners again.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...-they-voted-for

bonus: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/17/1486718/--If-we-broke-up-the-big-banks-tomorrow-would-that-end-racism

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assume at least some of the dkos pithy hottakes are based in the notion that Trump's voters will turn against him if things get bad enough

thing is, based on past experience I think its more likely Trump will say "Hey look over there, that illegal Mexican is stealing all your health care! Let's get him!" and the ravenous mob will descend upon Keith Ellison as he frantically tries to pry off the sombrero that's been super-glued to his head.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

yes that definitely would not result in the IT staff getting fired

Sounds like the hillary campaign was a cluster gently caress of yes-men and no actual talent, even though a notable c-spammer has assured everyone that it was the best campaign to ever be assembled. Which is it I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

nobody said anything about not doing something. you can be a pessimist and still do something because you might as loving well

You won't get anything actually done with that attitude, though :colbert:

In short, will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

• Locked thread