Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Guavanaut posted:

Literally the same people who were saying "if a SWAT team no-knock raids me without prior warning I will treat them like any other member of the public who steps onto my property with ill intent, come back with a warrant, announce yourself clearly, and ask permission [crying AR-15 over Bill of Rights]" a few years ago.

Which isn't completely unreasonable, you go around breaking into people's houses at night while armed and without announcing who you are, I'm not going to judge a panicked resident who sends a few bullets your way.

The right wing media response to BLM has driven some of those people into uncritical militarized police support.

Help me out here, rednecks- when did we start liking cops?

Zephyrine posted:

I don't have the post now but I have seen it argued that the reason that veterans end up homeless is because war essentially turns them into such beacons of masculinity that they can no longer be accepted into the sissy civilian life. (not in those exact words obviously)

That they swear, have tattoos and scars. That they aren't sensitive to peoples feelings and that they are free with their opinions.

That war somehow turned them into some pirate/lumberjack hybrid. Too awesome for mere mortals.

No, I've never seen a civilian with tattoos. Surely anyone with tattoos would be shunned from civil society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

oh bravo, that is some masterful pizzagate spin.

lol "Hillary Shill Jill Stein"
post fact indeed

New York City, by asking that the Federal government pay for $1m day security costs currently on city taxpayer's dime.
Or at least that the conman PEOTUS not grift secret service on rent in Trump tower

I don't like the red herring of fake news but here's a literal example. Trump did not in fact put up a homeless woman for 8 years in Trump tower.

it's funny to call women men

arrogant = uppity

it is going to be loving 2022 and we'll still be seeing Obama destroyed america memes

literally explodes

I like the elegance of this rigged poll

stopped clock

pooping cat nice touch

Trump card

and thinking Trump's cabinet will fix government is like thinking a nuclear bomb will cure cancer

didn't click

Too late

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So a Trump supporting gun rights nut I know posted this video to facebook, basically masturbating about how awesome it is and how much he wants one. See if you can see the almost innocuously but actually terrifying part that the narration drops in the first eleven seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRofcvfnHg

Also :laffo: at "so hidden - you're just like the footsteps of a navy seal".

If you are carrying a handgun to defend yourself, then why are you bragging about carrying a gun to stop from being bullied? Are your feelings that fragile? I mean I can think of a few kids who've used that exact saem logic and it didn't turn out well...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yeah, I like this one, too. If n is the total number of Facebook users and x is the number of likes the post gets, then you can argue n - x people chose Obama. I can pretty much guarantee n-x > x.

Defenestration posted:

and thinking Trump's cabinet will fix government is like thinking a nuclear bomb will cure cancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmVahy7e4KE#t=07m47s

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Defenestration posted:

Asking Republicans to run government is like asking a vegetarian to cook a steak. They can't do it well, because they don't think it should be done at all.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Help me out here, rednecks- when did we start liking cops?

No, I've never seen a civilian with tattoos. Surely anyone with tattoos would be shunned from civil society.

https://www.facebook.com/Veterans-Against-Tattoos-797240780360757/

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm fairly certain like half of those people are trolling, but the other half actually thinks like that. Those memes are peak "ironic" racism though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
why ya gotta hate a brother just because he's got an 88 on his face

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Got this on my feed:

The comments actually held a lot of real solid discussion between people with opposing views but then there was this gem

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Just send them this and be like "I mean, yeah?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

quote:

It says 43 miles per hour but I'm definitely not going that fast

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2016

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's a funny quirk of history that the same people who were vehemently, violently anti-Russian a few decades ago are now falling over themselves to suck Putin's dick and wave away the possibility of Russian espionage as preposterous

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Could you imagine the loving outrage of Hillary won and then it was determined that Iran helped her get elected?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Could you imagine the loving outrage of Hillary won and then it was determined that Iran helped her get elected?

A more apt comparison of unprecedented bullshit that swayed the election would be the CIA breaking policy and releasing massively damaging information about Trump a week before the election, and then walking it back.

I'm not sure the wikileaks stuff had near the impact the Comey letter did.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zegermans posted:

A more apt comparison of unprecedented bullshit that swayed the election would be the CIA breaking policy and releasing massively damaging information about Trump a week before the election, and then walking it back.

I'm not sure the wikileaks stuff had near the impact the Comey letter did.

The best were the otherwise perfectly literate, and sometimes even college educated people who suddenly forgot how paragraphs and context work when misconstruing the "someone in a similar position..." line.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

Got this on my feed:

The comments actually held a lot of real solid discussion between people with opposing views but then there was this gem

I've seen multiple right wingers use extreme vulgarity when Facebook arguing but never leftists. Like I'll see someone calmly lay out their opinion or facts and the retort will be "lol you beta lieberal cuck fag go suck obamas cock". What's the deal?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
On my phone so I'll give the short answer: politics as a team sport keeps them from engaging the other side; and toxic masculinity colors how they respond to a challenge to their identity, which is wrapped up in their political team.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I was gonna say that they think they win arguments by being the biggest poo poo kicker in the room and not by actually arguing better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Henker posted:

I've seen multiple right wingers use extreme vulgarity when Facebook arguing but never leftists. Like I'll see someone calmly lay out their opinion or facts and the retort will be "lol you beta lieberal cuck fag go suck obamas cock". What's the deal?

aka liberal elites are looking down on people who disagree with them, by laying out a coherent and logical argument based upon known and citable facts and stats, and the only reasonable response is to attack them on a personal level

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rick_Hunter posted:

I was gonna say that they think they win arguments by being the biggest poo poo kicker in the room and not by actually arguing better.

Given what's happened this year on both sides of the Atlantic this is probably true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

aka liberal elites are looking down on people who disagree with them, by laying out a coherent and logical argument based upon known and citable facts and stats, and the only reasonable response is to attack them on a personal level

I'm gonna use that as a reply if I ever see that happen. I have an uncle from Lorain, Ohio which is a pretty standard rust belt area. He's a pastor and he starts a lot of political talk and then deletes everything later. He seems like the type who might do this. He recently made creepy comments about Dexter-ing the guy whose execution they recently hosed up.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Scruff McGruff posted:

Got this on my feed:

I've been thinking about this, and I'd be ok if all of Trump's family received Secret Service protection. They are all high value targets and a successful attack on one of them would be pretty disastrous to the country as a whole.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
Political assassinations have rarely worked out well for anyone and protection is a pretty solid idea regardless of who the President is.

Although given the seeming overabundance of security these days, I loved reading about how Harry Truman used to actively try to lose his security detail (two whole agents) while VP and would take night walks around DC without telling anyone, and he wasn't much more careful as President. Not sure which is better. Maybe I just like Harry Truman.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
right wingers howled for 8 years about paying for Obama's vacations.

They simultaneously called Michelle and the girls trashy and complained that their dresses cost thousands of dollars (even though they likely got them free from the designers, or could pay for them themselves)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I remember Scott Adams saying that there are only two ways to argue with people with bad opinions. You can spend hours laying out facts and details, but that probably won't work anyway, so you might as well just respond with sarcastic mockery.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Defenestration posted:

They simultaneously called Michelle and the girls trashy and complained that their dresses cost thousands of dollars (even though they likely got them free from the designers, or could pay for them themselves)

But let me tell you about how hypocritical these liberals are!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Defenestration posted:

People (and I've seen this on both sides of the political line) seem really bent out of shape by the fact that for all its power, the Presidency is still a job. And people take days off and vacations from their jobs.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 14, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henker posted:

People left and right feel very frustrated by the current political and economic landscape of the US, and are given different tools to understand and adapt to their situation based on their upbringing, region, etc. Responding like that, however stupid it is, is the only tool or outlet they have to address their malaise. Righteous indignation is learned, and a shield against self-reflection.

Arguing to the ignorance or facile nature of outbursts like that only makes people feel more threatened. I admit that it's more rare in my circles too, but it's not alien to left wingers, we just have different coping mechanisms and tools for contextualizing and understanding the craziness around us.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

jivjov posted:

People (and I've seen this on both sides of the political line) seem really bent out of shape by the fact that for all its power, the Presidency is still a job. And people take days off and vacations from their jobs.

I guess the impressive thing about the crushing weight of capitalism is how people who are forced to work 60+ hours a week at 2 or more jobs just to make ends meet are so willing to rationalize how hosed up it is by holding it up as a badge of honor. Suddenly anyone else who isn't working 60 or 80 hours a week is a lazy moocher and don't even think about taking weekends off. You'll never get ahead with that kind of work ethic! And then they just ignore the fact that they've been living paycheck to paycheck for twenty years and have no savings.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

Whatever Obama did it was wrong. That's all you need to know. If he had never taken a nonsecond off, ever, and only slept 4 hours a night you'd be hearing about how he's a neglectful father, probably burned out and delirious so he makes bad decisions, and is a liberal elitist that just wants to make the rest of us look lazy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Defenestration posted:

Don't forget how she's fat and out of shape while having excessively muscular arms!

My conservative and also kinda racist dad has a weird fixation on using middle aged women's triceps as a metric of physical fitness. :barf: So despite his own commitment to fitness and the fact that I've gotten more lectures on its importance than probably any other conversational topic in my far-from-together life, he scoffs at her activism in that.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Defenestration posted:

The dumbest thing about this complaint is that W. Bush was fairly infamous for constantly going on vacation to his ranch. I looked the numbers up and Obama took 217 vacation days (as of Sept 2016) while Bush took 533.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I remember Scott Adams saying that there are only two ways to argue with people with bad opinions. You can spend hours laying out facts and details, but that probably won't work anyway, so you might as well just respond with sarcastic mockery.

Well, he is a master of persuasion after all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Henker posted:

The dumbest thing about this complaint is that W. Bush was fairly infamous for constantly going on vacation to his ranch. I looked the numbers up and Obama took 217 vacation days (as of Sept 2016) while Bush took 533.

The response you'll get to that is that Bush was still working and doing presidential things on the ranch unlike Obama who was shirking his responsibilities and just partying. The problem is, that statement is half true. Bush, like every other President, was absolutely still doing presidential things even on vacation, because he was the President. You can't have something that requires Presidential attention and go "Well but he's on vacation so we can't bother him."

I mean, that doesn't change the fact Bush definitely took more, but it makes it difficult to argue against since they're just not going to accept that Obama was working during his vacations too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

The response you'll get to that is that Bush was still working and doing presidential things on the ranch unlike Obama who was shirking his responsibilities and just partying. The problem is, that statement is half true. Bush, like every other President, was absolutely still doing presidential things even on vacation, because he was the President. You can't have something that requires Presidential attention and go "Well but he's on vacation so we can't bother him."

I mean, that doesn't change the fact Bush definitely took more, but it makes it difficult to argue against since they're just not going to accept that Obama was working during his vacations too.

Didn't Bush also play more golf than Obama?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Didn't Bush also play more golf than Obama?

No. Bush (assuming you mean W) stopped playing golf in 2003 since he believed it sent the wrong message while the troops were in Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't know if or when he started again while President, but he played very few rounds of golf.

However, lots of other presidents have, and it's not like Obama's golf days were any worse than Bush's ranch days. They just preferred to do different things.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZ3Tjohwqo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hey, it's OK. We will soon have a president who will more then likely treat the job as a 9-5 five days a week deal. Hooray.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Can't wait to watch Trump's drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Joshmo posted:

Although given the seeming overabundance of security these days, I loved reading about how Harry Truman used to actively try to lose his security detail (two whole agents) while VP and would take night walks around DC without telling anyone, and he wasn't much more careful as President. Not sure which is better. Maybe I just like Harry Truman.

The times are just different these days. Everywhere