Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

RealFoxy posted:

Olleh continues his World Tour in NA, signed by Immortals to play support (Formerly of KT Arrows in Korea, Hong Kong E-Sports in LMS and PaiN Gaming from Brazil)

Immortal's instagram and twitter accounts keep posting pictures of Flame and Dardoch together as if they won't be at each other's throats 6 weeks from now :v:

This is definitely the most underwhelming import signing imaginable.

I guess it's better than Avalon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

yeah, after all the rumours about kasing, piccaboo, madlife... it's kinda hard to get excited about that pickup

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

I think Olleh was one of the top 2 supports in LMS, and even though LMS wasn't known for their outstanding bot lanes, the LMS region is probably in the running for "Strongest region that isn't Korea" right now. He was loved in Brazil for being the only import to have learned conversational Portugese to speak with the fans and he knows fluent English.

He's shown the ability to adapt to two different regions already so I think he'll flourish in NA unlike players like Lustboy or Emporer that fall off a cliff when they're somewhere unfamiliar.

:siren: EU Drama :siren:
H2K kicked Vander, and didn't tell anyone else on the team and Jankos said he was going to quit H2K if they bring in any european bot lane because he said he wouldn't be able to carry Febiven + an EU bot lane. Said there's some really hosed up things going on behind the scenes and whether or not they come to light depends on if H2K are willing to bring in a top tier bot lane for him. For clarification, the only two supports from EU he's willing to play with are Mithy and Vander (And Mithy is already signed to a team)

I guess EU is continuing the trend of every Organization that makes it to World's imploding

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 13, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
IEM Korea starts in like 8 hours too, holy poo poo.

Group A starts today with Samsung Galaxy vs Vega Squadron (Edward's team) & J-Team (Bebe's Team; Former Taipei Assassins) vs Immortals (Flame + Dardoch + Cody Sun + Olleh)

After that, the two winners of Group A go against one another. OGN is supposed to be helping in production so I really hope it goes smoothly.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

the LMS region is probably in the running for "Strongest region that isn't Korea" right now.

i dunno where people get this from at all

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i dunno where people get this from at all
Who else is even in the running? EU has good teams every once in a while but none of them ever stick together long enough to get better. China has blown up the last two years at World's and their worst teams looked worse than NA teams.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
lol all-stars

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
gently caress H2K for breaking up Jankos and Vander. Those guys have carried some loving poo poo heaps to victory.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

Who else is even in the running? EU has good teams every once in a while but none of them ever stick together long enough to get better. China has blown up the last two years at World's and their worst teams looked worse than NA teams.

last iem - lost to unicorns of love
last worlds - sucked really bad and didn't get out of groups
last msi - not that good
worlds before that - good but still not 2nd best

if they were the 2nd best region surely they would have done well at one of the above events? maybe even won something?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Libertine posted:

gently caress H2K for breaking up Jankos and Vander. Those guys have carried some loving poo poo heaps to victory.
Jankos was talking on his stream about this and he wasn't very happy! He was aware H2k were prepared to sign a new botlane, but only learned about Vander not getting re-signed when H2k publically announced it. If H2k aren't importing a high-tier (i.e. Korean) botlane he plans to try and get out of having to play for H2k, because he thinks Vander is a top 2 support in EU (only competition being Mithy who is under contract).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

last iem - lost to unicorns of love
last worlds - sucked really bad and didn't get out of groups
last msi - not that good
worlds before that - good but still not 2nd best

if they were the 2nd best region surely they would have done well at one of the above events? maybe even won something?
EU might be second best, it sure isn't china or NA. I don't know what happened to LMS this year, maybe nerves but they still managed to beat SKT once.

Killed By Death posted:

Jankos was talking on his stream about this and he wasn't very happy! He was aware H2k were prepared to sign a new botlane, but only learned about Vander not getting re-signed when H2k publically announced it. If H2k aren't importing a high-tier (i.e. Korean) botlane he plans to try and get out of having to play for H2k, because he thinks Vander is a top 2 support in EU (only competition being Mithy who is under contract).
That's exactly what I said tho

stump collector
May 28, 2007
beating SKT one time becomes a lot less impressive when they played 2 incredibly competitive best of fives in semis and in finals

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

That's exactly what I said tho
You doubleposted and then edited it into your first post, I can't keep up with that :argh:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I agree that na isn't Second best.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

this is basically skt vs flash wolves

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Olleh owns and I'll be thrilled to see more of him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Killed By Death posted:

Jungle/Support synergy is one of the most important things in competitive play and I don't know why you would break up Jankos and Vander since they demonstrably are among the very best in their entire region. That's pretty wild.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair to H2K org. Vander was probably the weakest member on the enemy. His laning phase got helped by Forgiven a lot. Still he is probably a top tier EU supp in the same range as Hylissang, Kasing. Mithy is probably on his own level but those three are pretty close.

Also happy we can finally see Kakao. He is the original cute Korean jungler until Peanut stole his spot.

E; there is a translation of Snake manager talking about OHQ on reddit. Apparently OHQ wanted to duo with Kiwikid to improve but Kiwikid would just go play overwatch and they barely had any scrims. Well Kiwikid is garbage hope no team signs him. I think he would be a good cheerleader substitute like Fireloli or something.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 13, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libertine posted:

Jungle/Support synergy is one of the most important things in competitive play and I don't know why you would break up Jankos and Vander since they demonstrably are among the very best in their entire region. That's pretty wild.

Supposedly it was because of Vander having a "negative attitude" or something along those lines. Regardless of the truth, I don't think it bodes well for H2K.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

So IEM is today?

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

So IEM is today?

Starts in 5 hours

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

loco's team announced (no roster details yet)

they're likely going to be the #2 team in nacs at least tbh, i'm still very very eh on loco as a coach but alec warren is probably the single best assistant coach in north america and the parts i know of their roster are more than solid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Why do NA teams keep wasting foreigner spots on washed up Koreans?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Because NA is a region where all jokes aside, qtpie could probably come back and still make it to World's. There's rarely a rookie that's truly outstanding, and it's not even that often when a rookie even reaches middle of the pack. So without promising rookies you're stuck with Goldenglue

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

loco's team announced (no roster details yet)

they're likely going to be the #2 team in nacs at least tbh, i'm still very very eh on loco as a coach but alec warren is probably the single best assistant coach in north america and the parts i know of their roster are more than solid

Still a push over for a real coach like yourself though, right

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

there are some really good ones (ro, impact) but yeah i dunno man. NA is pretty good at developing talent, i think they'd do better just getting EU players and giving them proper coaching.

there's going to be so many synergy issues with all these new rosters. i think it's better to do the TSM thing and go for the one-language squad unless you get someone huge like impact or whatever

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Better to hire KRs with name value than the first two KRs you run into (see: every team except Splyce during EU LCS '16 summer split)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Can someone do an effort post on why GoldenGlutes is a bad player? He seems like a chill guy with an actual sports background, so I like to think maybe he'll take to coaching if Liquid can actually coach?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The way I see it, are you going to win Worlds with Kakao or Flame? No, you're not. So is your team's goal to win Worlds or win NALCS? If you only want to win NALCS and get some streaming money, Kakao is fine, and maybe that's enough for a lot of teams. But if you want to win Worlds, you need players who can compete with the Fakers and the Smebs, and Flame and Kakao are definitely not that. At least with a challenger player, you might get lucky and find a real star player.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I misremembered mb

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 13, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

On the other hand, Flame is dreamy so you're wrong.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Can someone do an effort post on why GoldenGlutes is a bad player? He seems like a chill guy with an actual sports background, so I like to think maybe he'll take to coaching if Liquid can actually coach?
He's firmly in that group of players that are way too good to be in the Challenger series, but are too bad to be in a competitive team in LCS, the amount of players that would cut a top 4 NA team that aren't imports are pretty low. Pobelter, for comparison, was the only natural NA resident playing in the mid lane last year.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

Still a push over for a real coach like yourself though, right
by far

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Shadow225 posted:

He chokes in high-pressure situations.

That's literally it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

OGN's production of IEM already looks leaps and bounds better than it's ever been

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'm ready to give the Korean Darshan a good look.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

RealFoxy posted:

OGN's production of IEM already looks leaps and bounds better than it's ever been

too bad there isn't a live audience

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

too bad there isn't a live audience
10am on a school day lol

e: It doesn't matter because they're just doing matches today and tomorrow

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 14, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I just got home and turned it on and listening to some seriously dreary banter. Is there a long technical delay or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libertine posted:

I just got home and turned it on and listening to some seriously dreary banter. Is there a long technical delay or something?

Very long. PapaSmithy and this other dude have been trying to fill about 30 minutes of dead air, by this point.

edit: Tech's sorted out and they're in pick and bans.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread