Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Looks legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ebay posted:

I am willing to offer a $1,000 discount to anyone who voted for Donald Trump.

Deffo legit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

I immediately noticed the unmistakable image of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus (of Bible fame)

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Oh, that Baby Jesus

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That line made me laugh also

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

quote:

3. These guitars sell for $1399. How can you justify the price of $10,000?
As stated above, when you compare the price of a grilled cheese sandwich (reg. price $5.25 including fries, pickle, and drink) and this guitar, you can see that this is indeed an incredible deal. The grilled cheese sandwich is priced at a markup of 533,233% while the markup for this guitar is a mere 614%. When you consider that the US has had an inflation rate of 1.97% per year since 2004 (when the grilled cheese sandwich originally sold), it becomes abundantly clear that this is an incredible deal. Also, you must consider that my product of divine holiness is a durable good while a grilled cheese sandwich is not. This guitar will provide countless hours of face melting enjoyment for years to come, while a grilled cheese sandwich must be eaten quickly or it will get moldy and make you sick. Did I mention that I am offering a very generous $1,000 discount to anyone who voted for Donald Trump?

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
hmmmmmmm

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Huh, that's kind of a weird angle for a craigslist photo, but eh, whatever.

Wait, what the...?

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5876393947.html

quote:

Here it is! The 16' exact replica Giant Red Strat!

This one of a kind piece of rock and roll art is an exact replica, in every excruciating detail, of a custom red Fender Stratocaster. Every part, every contour is exact, even the string gauges are exactly 5X larger than a set of Ernie Ball 9's Super Slinky's.
Funds from the sale will go towards the opening of our new music school.

Giant Strat Stats:

-Length: 16' from strap button to tip of headstock.
-Width: Approximately 5' - the widest part of the body.
-Weight: Roughly 250lbs. Solid construction for indoor or outdoor display.
-Color scheme: Red body, maple neck, mint pickguard, cream knobs and pick up covers.

The Giant Strat comes with:

-A custom-made stand on wheels that allows the guitar to rest in a very natural position with no obstructions and easily be moved anywhere.
-An actual Fender Stratocaster guitar with the same color scheme. The real guitar looks like a miniature because the perspective fools your eyes, but it's a real Strat.
-A custom-made stand for the actual Strat (an exact replica of the giant stand)

This would look great as a stage prop, trade show exhibit, at your music museum, in your music room at home, make your nightclub or music store unique, or your music educational institution!

Strong durable construction and easy to disassemble. Strings and bolt-on neck can be removed for transporting. Contact seller for all questions. Serious inquires only! Thank you.

Check out this video of the Giant Red Strat- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAbpMFIUzw
or
http://www.stratacademy.com/stratacademy_022.htm

Also, check out #giantredstrat on Instagram

Guinness Book of World Records has verified this is the largest Stratocaster replica and the application is currently PENDING . Reference # 160806211156lsro

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This entire page is exactly the kind of stupid music content I need and desire

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Are there any pups that can be swapped into a newer-model Gretsch semi-hollow that will make it sound non-lovely? I've plucked on a few of those things in guitar stores and they feel really nice to play but Jesus H. Christ the sound is like smacking a half-damp snotrag against a day-old trout

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Look up "filtertrons" or "tv jones" pickups and you'll likely find anythijng you could want

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you ask nicely you can probably get some emg 81s in a filtertron size housing

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
So if you had a 1 1/4" to 1/4" cable would it make sound plugged into an amp?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So if you had a 1 1/4" to 1/4" cable would it make sound plugged into an amp?

probably

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:laffo:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Does that mean I could make the guitar go yipyipyipyip

E: ignoring that I could probably do that with any guitar as long as I chained weird tremolo/delay enough times

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 13, 2016

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

Look up "filtertrons" or "tv jones" pickups and you'll likely find anythijng you could want

TV Jones owns bones.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I love cabronitas and I happen to know that you do too

Dirt
May 26, 2003

tacodaemon posted:

Are there any pups that can be swapped into a newer-model Gretsch semi-hollow that will make it sound non-lovely? I've plucked on a few of those things in guitar stores and they feel really nice to play but Jesus H. Christ the sound is like smacking a half-damp snotrag against a day-old trout

Squeeze some P90's in there like a real man

I don't know if they will actually fit or not

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dirt posted:

Squeeze some P90's in there like a real man

I don't know if they will actually fit or not

I mean TV jones makes this p90 sort of creature with filtertron type mounting so probably ???

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Was expecting Wangcaster Mk XV, not Neighcaster.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

I haven't really been online too much so here's an update for those who remember. I was building a frying pan tenor guitar for fellow goon BigHustle. Annoyingly after several weird problems due to the reclaimed wood I used for the neck and front (the neck wood warped like mad and the front was impregnated with some weird turn-of-the-century varnish that would not gently caress off) I had to refund his money as the poor bastard had been waiting ages :(. Bit bummed out that I couldn't pull it off but at least he got his money back.

It's a bummer that it didn't work out, but I do appreciate that you refunded me rather than walk off with the cash and cut off contact like a normal Internet dweller would.

With that money, I can now buy this beauty. David Duchovny never looked so good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought that was slave Leia at first, might as well check if there's any of those

Yup

And some funny ones in the related images like this one, no idea what this is

And this sweet axe

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Someone misunderstood what a fender mustang is

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Someone misunderstood what a fender mustang is

I better post the obvious Clapton/strat/horse connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WyKCc21_oA

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Neigh! (We are but MEN. ROCK ON!)

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kB4iAtbJQ

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:stare:

i must have this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's spongy!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I have no idea where to ask this but I played saxophone all through middle school and now, 15 years later, I'd like to pick it back up. I know nothing about the industry though and don't know where to start looking for a tenor sax to learn on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

I have no idea where to ask this but I played saxophone all through middle school and now, 15 years later, I'd like to pick it back up. I know nothing about the industry though and don't know where to start looking for a tenor sax to learn on.

This is not a direct answer to your question. It also is probably going to be controversial.

I once started music classes to learn something... woodwinds. My teacher (he was a pretty amazing guy who played with Doc Severinsen of the Tonight Show Band back in the Johnny Carson days, but I don't think he ever played on the show) was adamant that no student should take on saxophone without learning clarinet first. He had his reasons.

I washed out of woodwinds for two reasons: 1) Embouchure : I have an overbite and playing woodwinds hurts my jaw a lot. 2) I had no passion for it so I didn't practice. Same way I let piano go away, and finally embraced bass guitar and then solid-body lead/rhythm guitar. I found my passions there.

If you aren't curious about (re)-learning clarinet first (and with all the amazing Klazmer-fusion stuff out there, I don't see why you wouldn't want to try it, unless getting a clarinet is too expensive or the Klazmer stuff is too technical) then I'll bow out and just say this post was inspired by a man who, yeah he landed in my school, but he also became famous in his own right running a marching band for a very high-profile school. I don't want to say too much.

Back in the late 80's Selmer was the be-all in saxophones. You knew that already, so this was mostly just a chance for me to talk about clarinets and stuff. I had a girlfriend who always talked about needing a Selmer Mark 6. To her, it was the perfect instrument of the working musician (i.e. not the top-tier artists.)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Haha you're really overestimating my knowledge. I played all 3 years of middle school and was good enough to play for jazz band in high school but I was playing football, track and golf so I didn't have time and stopped playing.

I played alto to learn on and then moved to tenor and baritone when we needed it. I prefer the sound of the tenor to alto even though I know alto is what everyone learns on. I've also been listening to the guy from Too Many Zooz though so that could explain my wanting to learn again...

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

God dammit I must give one of these to every guitarist I know. The little squeesh when you stomp it :supaburn:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

We've been having a friendly debate at work about which instrument is most likely to ruin a song by its presence. So far the leading contender is saxophone. The only guy who passionately argues otherwise has a son who started sax lessons last year. I say it's not too late to steer the kid away, I mean he can't go much worse besides getting into some hardcore harmonica soloing.

Is there any instrument that has ruined more songs on average than the sax?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
On the other hand maybe the songs just weren't good enough to handle the majesty of the sax

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Snowy posted:

We've been having a friendly debate at work about which instrument is most likely to ruin a song by its presence. So far the leading contender is saxophone. The only guy who passionately argues otherwise has a son who started sax lessons last year. I say it's not too late to steer the kid away, I mean he can't go much worse besides getting into some hardcore harmonica soloing.

Is there any instrument that has ruined more songs on average than the sax?

I think a sax solo is a seriously dated kind of sound but it doesn't ruin songs for me or anything. I mean most instruments can be made to sound good in the right context, but I think the harmonica is 99.999% of the time terrible. John Popper is literally the only harmonica player I've sincerely enjoyed listening to. Every other harmonica part I hear is always super hokey or too try-hard in an "I'm a serious world weary ar-teest, maaaan" kind of way.

So yeah, harmonica.

I thought it might be the accordion, but at least the accordion is almost always funny.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It probably goes by genre, sax is still like one of the core jazzy sounds and harmonica works in blues/bluegrass sort of things.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I would say sax 100%. I mean harmonica usually sucks too but the thing about harmonica is that it rarely appears in songs that would have been good anyway. Sax pops up in songs where you're like "OH GOD DAMMIT IT WAS FINE UNTIL YOU GOT HERE", whereas with harmonica you're usually just like "oh and of course there was going to be a harmonica in this piece of crap".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

On the other hand, Blackstar is full of sax, and it's one of the best albums Bowie put out.

Basically I'm saying sax can be good if you're as talented and brilliant as David Bowie.

• Locked thread