Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

The_Franz posted:

ARMv8 and i think POWER9 are designed around strong ordering too. herb sutter's atomic weapons talk is pretty interesting since it covers the history of the C++/C11 atomics and gives lots of examples as to why you shouldn't use the relaxed orderings (because even the people who designed this stuff got it wrong most of the time).

i also don't think there is anyone on earth who actually knows how to use memory_order_consume
Are you sure about ARMv8 and POWER9?

According to the ARMv8-A guide: "The ARMv8 architecture employs a weakly-ordered model of memory." and "Reads and writes to Normal memory can be re-ordered by hardware, being subject only to data dependencies and explicit memory barrier instructions." There are support for load-acquire and store-release instructions, but that doesn't mean that the ISA itself guarantees strong ordering for regular memory operations. ldra and strl make it easier to write atomic primitives (because you don't need to add extra fences in; the instructions themselves have fence semantics), but the ISA itself still only guarantees weak ordering.

I haven't found anything in IBM's documentation that implies that their memory ordering models are any different than the garbage they've used in the past. Of course, IBM"s manuals are so bad that the first author on that paper basically got his Ph.D. just for trying to formally define the POWER memory model.

edit: fuckin god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ARMv8 added ldrl/stra instructions which are sequentially consistent

i thought i read something about POWER9 adding sequentially consistent loads and stores without needing heavyweight syncs, but i'm not certain and didn't look too hard into it since i have to reason to touch it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 11, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Menacer posted:

edit: fuckin god dammit

good hustle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

ARMv8 added ldrl/stra instructions which are sequentially consistent

you mean ldra/strl. they are sequentially consistent because they contain half barriers. they are extremely slow compared to the non-barrier versions. on most arm microarchitectures ldra would kill speculation and strl would force waiting on every store getting to the poc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

you mean ldra/strl. they are sequentially consistent because they contain half barriers. they are extremely slow compared to the non-barrier versions. on most arm microarchitectures ldra would kill speculation and strl would force waiting on every store getting to the poc.

they are still better and cheaper than using a heavyweight barrier around loads and stores when you want sequentially consistent atomic operations like the old arm chips needed. they're not meant to replace regular loads and stores, but they give another compelling reason for not messing with bug-prone relaxed atomic memory ordering anymore.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

they are still better and cheaper than using a heavyweight barrier around loads and stores when you want sequentially consistent atomic operations like the old arm chips needed. they're not meant to replace regular loads and stores, but they give another compelling reason for not messing with bug-prone relaxed atomic memory ordering anymore.

they have the same cost as doing a dmb ld or st, respectively. they are also not atomic, you would need to use the exclusive versions (ldrex, strex) if you want to simulate atomicity.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

they have the same cost as doing a dmb ld or st, respectively. they are also not atomic, you would need to use the exclusive versions (ldrex, strex) if you want to simulate atomicity.

they're still potentially more efficient, especially in an out-of-order architecture, since they use acquire-release semantics vs a full barrier which further restricts instruction reordering

edit: sequentially consistent stores on arm v7 incur the wrath of two full barriers since the compiler emits dmb st dmb

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 11, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

they're still potentially more efficient, especially in an out-of-order architecture, since they use acquire-release semantics vs a full barrier which further restricts instruction reordering

edit: sequentially consistent stores on arm v7 incur the wrath of two full barriers since the compiler emits dmb st dmb

armv8 has independent half barriers. dmb ld and dmb st.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That sounds like some fairly dmb st, op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The surface book just ran an ad featuring a literal manchild as the target market

lmfao for loving ever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
itt we make very serious posts while misusing the term "sequentially consistent"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Foo posted:

The surface book just ran an ad featuring a literal manchild as the target market

lmfao for loving ever
yeah that sounds about right

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

lmfao for loving ever

lol the one where theyre drawing a day of the dead character and he opens with "i made a promise never to grow up" and then every time the woman tries to explain any feature he interrupts with exclamations like "YOU CAN DRAW RIGHT ON THE SCREEN!!!!" like a five year old

it was on during football yesterday and my girlfriend said "i thought they threw all those surfaces in the trash" referring to belichicks rant about how lovely they were

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LastInLine posted:

lol the one where theyre drawing a day of the dead character and he opens with "i made a promise never to grow up" and then every time the woman tries to explain any feature he interrupts with exclamations like "YOU CAN DRAW RIGHT ON THE SCREEN!!!!" like a five year old

it was on during football yesterday and my girlfriend said "i thought they threw all those surfaces in the trash" referring to belichicks rant about how lovely they were

yep it was exactly this

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
You guys are going to love what the UPS truck is bringing me today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLsr_jR5gs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

Microsoft intends to fail in the ARM ecosystem again

32-bit apps, via emulation. lol

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/240792-microsoft-announces-new-windows-arm-partnership-qualcomm-done-right-time

edit: I'm leaving the smart quotes in
edit2: apparently editing turned the smart quotes into double smart quotes. I reverted them.

lol the office team strikes again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iyg, of course, is super excited so they can have One Device To Rule Them All and refuse to acknowledge that it'll be worse at any given task than even having two devices

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
apparently dhcp was broken in windows 10 for a while because a service was crashing, and microsoft put a "please reboot your computer" banner at the top of their website about it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

dhcp: beta tested in the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

apparently dhcp was broken in windows 10 for a while because a service was crashing, and microsoft put a "please reboot your computer" banner at the top of their website about it

holy gently caress, so that's what that was.

jfc, how do you break dhcp in an update that goes live and cannot be declined or avoided by a significant number of customers? this is getting to win98 levels of bullshit, except you no longer have the option of never updating at home.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the part where it says (not shut down) because "shut down" in w10 is some stupid hybrid sleep garbage that doesn't actually reset the operating system

that really messed me up for a while because my weird olde habit is to always use shut down instead of restart when i'm doing things that require restarts. feels like i need to give the computer a chance to cool down for 30 seconds before booting it back up again yknow. but anyway that kind of "restart" doesn't count as a restart for any purpose that requires a real restart since microsoft started this poo poo

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 13, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

holy gently caress, so that's what that was.

jfc, how do you break dhcp in an update that goes live and cannot be declined or avoided by a significant number of customers? this is getting to win98 levels of bullshit, except you no longer have the option of never updating at home.
technically it wasn't the dhcp client service, it was the Connected Devices Platform Service that couldn't recover from a crash

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i like the part where it says (not shut down) because "shut down" in w10 is some stupid hybrid sleep garbage that doesn't actually reset the operating system

that really messed me up for a while because my weird olde habit is to always use shut down instead of restart when i'm doing things that require restarts. feels like i need to give the computer a chance to cool down for 30 seconds before booting it back up again yknow. but anyway that kind of "restart" doesn't count as a restart for any purpose that requires a real restart since microsoft started this poo poo

:psyduck:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

jfc, how do you break dhcp

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

feels like i need to give the computer a chance to cool down for 30 seconds before booting it back up again yknow.

thats the autism

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PC users have been so ingrained with "SHUTDOWN" for so many years that they are almost impossible to retrain to put the computer in sleep mode which will save them a bunch of time not going through full boot cycles all the time. so MS completely changed "shutdown" to basically mean write the contents of memory of hiberfil.sys but don't bother retaining the memory contents in ram (S4) so when the computer starts up it pulls everything out of hiberfil which gets you to the desktop quicker than a cold boot. it was... not the best idea.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the shutdown function on my operating system (apple macos sierra 10.12.1) works as expected

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id like to report however, despite its perfect functional record, it is rarely used because i experience long and sustained periods of uptime and stability

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

PC users have been so ingrained with "SHUTDOWN" for so many years that they are almost impossible to retrain to put the computer in sleep mode which will save them a bunch of time not going through full boot cycles all the time. so MS completely changed "shutdown" to basically mean write the contents of memory of hiberfil.sys but don't bother retaining the memory contents in ram (S4) so when the computer starts up it pulls everything out of hiberfil which gets you to the desktop quicker than a cold boot. it was... not the best idea.

now it just hibernates the kernel tho

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

ha ha more like microsucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

thats the autism

i think it's a mild obsessive tendency. not bad enough to call OCD or have a negative effect on my life, but it's there. like sometimes i'll bang my foot on the edge of a door and then my body feels annoyingly unbalanced until i bang my other foot on a door as well.

also i have to wash my hands after touching a student's computer but that's just because students are somehow all greasy all the time

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"the computer just needs a rest" - a definitely not crazy person

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you think you're so smart but i bet you've never even heard of capacitor holdup or RAM ghosts

jeez

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i was in the habit of shutting down my computer because printer & graphics tablet drivers would randomly cease to work in windows if i didn't, and i'd have to restart anyway

took about 2-3 years of using a mac before i broke out of the habit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i know there's a rich tradition of anthropomorphizing complex systems, it's still oogida boogida bullshit you nut.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

that's not a thing. shut down shuts down. you were hitting sleep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait 30 sec to let the caps discharge before you turn it back on

oh is it tired?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*hesitates before pressing the softly pulsing power button, lest the machine become grumpy after waking from sleep*~

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

that's not a thing. shut down shuts down. you were hitting sleep

I thought the same thing but he's right, shutdown doesn't reinitialize the kernel just suspends it to disk. only restart or hard crash gives you a clean boot.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*presents a cornucopia of fatty meats and nuts on the altar before rousing the pc from hibernation*~

• Locked thread