Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you buy a car with sirius xm, do you have to activate the trial? I'm looking at getting a new car in the spring but I have no interest in it and don't want to even bother with a trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My VW that i bought in 2013 had a free trial and I don't think I set it up. Maybe the dealer did it for me? i'm not sure but that's how they harassed me.

Enourmo posted:

My oven's okay, but electric burners are got garbage as is, and on my particular unit the heat drops to effectively nothing* below about 1/4, and at that setting it'll still burn rice that's left to simmer; i have to use excess water to compensate for the fact that I have to pop the lid and stir every couple minutes. It's fine for big pots of stew and such, but god do I miss gas when I'm doing a fried egg or w/e.

*by cooking standards, the burners are still warm to the touch but can't even sustain a simmer on my smallest pot with like 1/2 of water

you should get a portable, single burner induction cooker. they're like 50 bucks or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mariooncrack posted:

If you buy a car with sirius xm, do you have to activate the trial? I'm looking at getting a new car in the spring but I have no interest in it and don't want to even bother with a trial.
Yes. They might ask you for a CC number too. I think they will automatically start billing you unless you specifically call them back to opt-out which is what they're planing on you not doing. Regarding getting spammed calls, I have a burner phone for setting up stuff like free trials and craigs/kijiji listings

Cooking chat...

Benefits of a gas range>shortcomings of gas oven

Induction is OK, but your nice high end copper, stainless or other non-magnetic cookware won't work unless they specially have a coating of magnetic material. I've also heard of some cheapo induction units magnetizing your cookware which is an issue I've run into with cheap induction heaters for mounting bearings for years (a magnetized rolling element bearing is a very, very bad thing).

You also need to be careful you don't have anything like a mechanical watch anywhere near the cooking surface.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
AFAIK, you don't technically have to activate the trial but a lot of dealers will do it "as a courtesy" (read: they get a kickback from Sirius XM for every active trial going off the lot). Sirius XM has been hemorrhaging subscribers for years now so they're really aggressive in selling to people who get sucked into a trial via a new/CPO car.

You should probably make it real clear to the dealer that not activating the trial is key to them getting the sale if you want to avoid getting harassing calls for months.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
2016 has been a mixed bag. Another year with my awesome girlfriend, but my ex wife moved my kids 8 hours away to Orlando. I understand why she moved, it was good for her career, but now I either have to get used to my kids being 8 hours away (not gonna happen) or follow that rear end in a top hat to Orlando and uproot my entire life. Do you know how difficult it is to find a job in a city when you don't live there? Really loving goddamn hard.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Induction is nice but I still think i'd take gas for a range. i have a portable induction burner that I use sometimes. being able to use gas to char stuff directly in the flame or blast heat into a wok is better than the everyday benefits of induction imo.

Having gone from old electric to gas to induction, I love my induction top but being able to char is something I miss. Oh well there's always the BBQ. Other than that Induction all day erry day. I've only ever used an electric oven though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Three-Phase posted:

Hey this is outside the current chat but the car I got has XM and I've gotten a couple of spam emails from them. I really have no plan to subsribe.

Did anyone have Sirius XM harass them on their phones (robocalls, etc) once their 90-day trial ended? I heard a couple of horror stories about that, and they actually settled for $35M recently for do not call violations.

Bought a new car with the trial (didn't realize how much they'd harass us hahah). We were waffling on subscribing - the wife really likes a few of their channels. They started spam calling us, emailing, etc. So I swung some violations into a sweet deal, so we have it for cheap :) If you feel like arguing a little bit, you can get the service for dirt cheap.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey

Hey guys

Come play the Sheep Game! There is just a little more than a week to go to get your entries in...there are 19 players so far, and the more we get, the better the result turns out to be. I'd love to see at least 50 by the deadline, which is 11 PM Pacific Time on December 21st.

Come play today!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

slidebite posted:

Cooking chat...

Benefits of a gas range>shortcomings of gas oven

Induction is OK, but your nice high end copper, stainless or other non-magnetic cookware won't work unless they specially have a coating of magnetic material. I've also heard of some cheapo induction units magnetizing your cookware which is an issue I've run into with cheap induction heaters for mounting bearings for years (a magnetized rolling element bearing is a very, very bad thing).

You also need to be careful you don't have anything like a mechanical watch anywhere near the cooking surface.

I don't get the point of induction ranges for those reasons. Heating up a pan should be the simplest task ever and what can be simpler than a flame? I think having a standalone induction burner could be useful though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I don't get the point of induction ranges for those reasons. Heating up a pan should be the simplest task ever and what can be simpler than a flame? I think having a standalone induction burner could be useful though.

Some places don't have gas and electric coil ranges suck rear end.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gas isn't available everywhere, and I think induction is generally seen as better than a standard electric range.

Efb

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I suppose it makes sense when viewed in that now obvious way. I'm used to having gas available everywhere, I guess?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
For some reason I don't have a gas hookup in my kitchen despite the fact that I have a gas forced air heater and even a hookup next to my back door for a gas grill. Adding a gas line to the kitchen is pretty high up on my renovation priorities list.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Siochain posted:

Bought a new car with the trial (didn't realize how much they'd harass us hahah). We were waffling on subscribing - the wife really likes a few of their channels. They started spam calling us, emailing, etc. So I swung some violations into a sweet deal, so we have it for cheap :) If you feel like arguing a little bit, you can get the service for dirt cheap.

poo poo, that sucks. They did activate the free trial. I guess I'll just have to handle that crap in sixty days or so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

slidebite posted:

wait seriously? I thought it induced a current in the pan and thereby heated it, which should work with any conductive metal pan.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

wait seriously? I thought it induced a current in the pan and thereby heated it, which should work with any conductive metal pan.

Nope, it uses a magnetic field so whatever you're cooking with needs to be ferrous to some degree. That's also, incidentally, why you shouldn't wear nice mechanical watches while cooking with them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Induction heaters can be made to work with non-ferrous metals, but most consumer cooktops aren't, from what I'm reading.

You can stick an iron plate/cast iron pan on top of the inductor and use it as a hot plate for your other stuff, though. Hell of a lot better than a lovely spiral that heats unevenly and makes intermittent contact with your pot depending on size.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

The way I understand it, the current through the inductive coil alternates at a high frequency (why?). Iron-containing cooking elements are more electromagnetically permeable, so the induced current flows through a really shallow skin. Because the skin is so shallow, it acts like a resistive heating element.

I gleaned this from reading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current#Skin_effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)

I recognize that you know more about the above than I do, so if what I said is word salad, let me know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
e: we probably know about the same amount actually, I'm pretty weak on e-mag. I know the basics but I can't quote faraday's law at you.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Nope, it uses a magnetic field so whatever you're cooking with needs to be ferrous to some degree. That's also, incidentally, why you shouldn't wear nice mechanical watches while cooking with them.

but... but... but... a magnetic field is what makes an air core transformer with two copper windings work, too. And cellphone wireless charger pads. A magnetic field is a magnetic field.

I did some reading on it and it seems like the major difference is that ferromagnetic materials heat better because they have a higher magnetic hysteresis, which results in the metal sucking up more energy in the same strength magnetic field, which does make sense. You *can* induction heat aluminum, copper, etc but it takes a much stronger field for the same effect, basically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

e: we probably know about the same amount actually, I'm pretty weak on e-mag. I know the basics but I can't quote faraday's law at you.

but... but... but... a magnetic field is what makes an air core transformer with two copper windings work, too. And cellphone wireless charger pads. A magnetic field is a magnetic field.

I did some reading on it and it seems like the major difference is that ferromagnetic materials heat better because they have a higher magnetic hysteresis, which results in the metal sucking up more energy in the same strength magnetic field, which does make sense. You *can* induction heat aluminum, copper, etc but it takes a much stronger field for the same effect, basically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

Yeah, sorry, I simplified a bit too much. I just did quite a bit of research on them when I was trying to decide if it would be worth ripping up my kitchen floor to bring a gas line in at some point (yes, yes it is) or if I could live with induction to replace the stupid coil-type range (yes, but I'd still rather have gas).

On a related note, I love watching videos of people melting various metals using induction coils. Spinning balls of molten metal!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sirius/XM chat:

$25 for 5 mo is their "last deal" - you only get it through the cancellation dept and if you say no to it, they'll cancel you.

You can't get it 2 renewals in a row though. I think $60 for 6 mo is the next-to-last deal.

They get aggressive with renewals starting 60 days before end date.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fun, random fact: JPL designed the wheels on Curiosity to have JPL in morse code as it drives across Mars:

Oh, and renewables will work fine once we combine them with nuclear :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

4 pounds of back-bacon
3 French toast
2 turtle necks and
a beer in a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTwLqR071M

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, and renewables will work fine once we combine them with nuclear :colbert:

This is simultaneously both true and keep your dirty politics out of my engineering

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Five gold toques!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I actually remember the lyrics to that version better than the original.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BraveUlysses posted:

yup. ideally you'd want gas stove with electric element oven

Nope.

Ideally you want gas stove and gas convection oven. :unsmith:

Or at least I do. I miss having commercial appliances.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I keep trying to mess with the customization settings in BeamNG and I keep making cars that are completely undrivable. :saddowns:

This one snaps the driveshaft off as soon as you hit the gas, and even if you do get up to speed it destroys the front end after a couple hundred feet.
JOB WELL DONE.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That looks like fun. Is BeamNG fun? Can it teach me how to be a mechanic?

Oh and I also don't know how to drive a manual maybe I can learn that too who knows.

I am too tired and need to test a transformer tomorrow so I really should go to bed and stop psoting.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 14, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Car Boys is a good look at the ins and outs of BeamNG, definitely check it out.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, it's less of a game, and more of a sandbox car smasher, but yes it's fun.

They've recently added some new features, like some basic missions and such, but the most fun I've gotten out of it is in freeroam.

Just spawn a few cars and smash 'em together over and over again. It's a fantastic stress reliever.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well I spent $30 on DayZ Standalone so as the kids say: "YOLO".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

That looks like fun. Is BeamNG fun? Can it teach me how to be a mechanic?

Step 1: Buy lots of tools
Step 2: Start a drug habit, because its cheaper
Step 3: Post here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Well I spent $30 on DayZ Standalone so as the kids say: "YOLO".

You have chosen loving poorly.

I bought that piece of poo poo like two years ago, and it has made effectively backwards progress since then, as they've broken poo poo that used to work and not fixed it while introducing new bugs.

Seriously, it's the only Steam game I've ever actually removed from my list entirely, as because they've been in Early Access for three goddamn years you can't get refunds despite it absolutely not working as advertised.

Edit : Seriously, it's taken them 3 years, using a spin off of ArmaIII's engine, to get vehicles kinda working.

And by 'kinda' I mean 'removed them for the most recent stable build because driving over anything causes the game to crash'.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 14, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Step 1: Buy lots of tools
Step 2: Start a drug habit, because its cheaper
Step 3: Post here.

Trust him. I was once a normal respectable young man

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh yeah DayZ SA was trash sadly.

Trip report: built SWAGTRUCK 2000. Skidded and smashed into guardrail. Screwed with alignment so I kinda tapped it on the other side to try and Cancel out alignment damage. Did not work as well as I expected.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Liquid Communism posted:

You have chosen loving poorly.

I bought that piece of poo poo like two years ago, and it has made effectively backwards progress since then, as they've broken poo poo that used to work and not fixed it while introducing new bugs.

Seriously, it's the only Steam game I've ever actually removed from my list entirely, as because they've been in Early Access for three goddamn years you can't get refunds despite it absolutely not working as advertised.

Edit : Seriously, it's taken them 3 years, using a spin off of ArmaIII's engine, to get vehicles kinda working.

And by 'kinda' I mean 'removed them for the most recent stable build because driving over anything causes the game to crash'.

I assume you're talking about DayZ? Because BeamNG has made fantastic progress since they first came out. So many new cars, and parts and things to smash into.
I mean for an aimless sandbox game it's really amazing how fun it is.

Plus, they have some nice little touches:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

I assume you're talking about DayZ? Because BeamNG has made fantastic progress since they first came out. So many new cars, and parts and things to smash into.
I mean for an aimless sandbox game it's really amazing how fun it is.

Plus, they have some nice little touches:

Yeah, DayZ, I apparently misread his post to state he just bought DayZ standalone and was very sad.

BeamNG looks pretty cool!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Trust him. I was once a normal respectable young man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dong we now our gay apparel