Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Brunt's a good guy in the mirror universe so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And Vic was a real person!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DS9 Mirror episodes kind of suggested everyone was just more of an rear end in a top hat in the Mirror Universe rather than everyone being swapped. It's not like the Klingons were the nice guys or anything, just human aggression pissed everyone off.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Judging by the dominance of the Klingon/Cardassian alliance, I can't assume they are peaceful flower children there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

remusclaw posted:

Judging by the dominance of the Klingon/Cardassian alliance, I can't assume they are peaceful flower children there.

On the other hand, they were a bit more progressive than Starfleet on gay rights

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The TNG rewatch has finally emerged from the season 1 morass into the Riker swings dick on the Klingon ship and then Measure of a Goddamn Man. So goddamn fantastic.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

skasion posted:

On the other hand, they were a bit more progressive than Starfleet on gay rights

Fun fact: I had a college student last year tell me that Nazi Germany was actually more progressive about gay rights than present day America. This he used as evidence for why progressivism in the US was "not all it as cracked up to be." Breathtakingly wrong, and illogical to boot. It was quite a thing.

Anyway, I think I'm going to pause my watching ENT between S1 and S2 to go back and watch some of the movies. I've seen the TOS movies recently, so I think it's going to be the TNG movies. On the recommendation of folks in the previous thread, I want to try to find a copy of Insurrection with the Frakes/Sirtris commentary track, because there's no loving way I am watching that poo poo vanilla. Once fifteen years ago was more than enough.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Fun fact: I had a college student last year tell me that Nazi Germany was actually more progressive about gay rights than present day America. This he used as evidence for why progressivism in the US was "not all it as cracked up to be." Breathtakingly wrong, and illogical to boot. It was quite a thing.

Anyway, I think I'm going to pause my watching ENT between S1 and S2 to go back and watch some of the movies. I've seen the TOS movies recently, so I think it's going to be the TNG movies. On the recommendation of folks in the previous thread, I want to try to find a copy of Insurrection with the Frakes/Sirtris commentary track, because there's no loving way I am watching that poo poo vanilla. Once fifteen years ago was more than enough.

Whatever version you find, you are saved. Someone uploaded the commentary to Youtube, so you just need to sync it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iac3zRH6nis

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Aghhh. Double post!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, they progressed the gays right into death camps with all the other "undesirables."

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think it has ever really worked like that. The mirror universe is more just an alternate timeline where poo poo got real rough and stayed that way rather than turning around like in the main universe, and the people there reflect that. I would just read it as an alternate universe where poo poo sucks rather than as an actual mirror image. The title isn't literal.

Mirror Spock bears out this reading I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrrLWt53BUc

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think it has ever really worked like that. The mirror universe is more just an alternate timeline where poo poo got real rough and stayed that way rather than turning around like in the main universe, and the people there reflect that. I would just read it as an alternate universe where poo poo sucks rather than as an actual mirror image. The title isn't literal.

Mirror Spock bears out this reading I think.

I've never seen the mirror universe as an alternate timeline in the usual sense of "one thing happened differently and they diverged from there", like in JJTrek or Yesterday's Enterprise.

There has to be some sort of spooky quasi-mystical connection between the two universes, to keep all the parallels so close. Consider the original Mirror, Mirror episode. If the mirror universe was just a timeline that had diverged (let's say) a few centuries ago, what are the odds that most of the same people would even exist (I guess all of their mirror ancestors had sex at exactly the same time in exactly the same way to get the same sperm/egg combo), let alone that they'd all be together on a nearly-identical ship, in more or less the same crew arrangement, visiting the same planet, with the same mission, on the same day, beaming up at the exact same second? There would have to be all kinds of freakish coincidences going on in both universes to keep things lined up that closely despite all the differences, or else go go gadget butterfly effect.

Yes, by the DS9 mirror episodes, things have diverged a little more, but we still have most of the same people on the same station at the same time. Again, freakish coincidences. I'm telling you, the two universes have some kind of spooky connection.

Or else, you know, it's just a well that the writers can go to when they want to have goofy hammy evil fun, and it isn't really meant to be hard sci-fi for close scrutiny. But come on, what are the odds of THAT?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Or else, you know, it's just a well that the writers can go to when they want to have goofy hammy evil fun, and it isn't really meant to be hard sci-fi for close scrutiny. But come on, what are the odds of THAT?

No way it could be that. That's just dumb.

Serious:
Isn't that basically Sliders? Pretty much everything is the same except one weird thing, ad infinitum?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 13, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Mirror Universe is "What if humans, but too much?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lenoon posted:

The TNG rewatch has finally emerged from the season 1 morass into the Riker swings dick on the Klingon ship and then Measure of a Goddamn Man. So goddamn fantastic.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Trek: Riker swings dick on a Klingon ship

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like the idea of the mirror universe and the regular one being entangled to the point of people coincidentally appearing in the same place on both sides. And it goes both ways, too. Like, maybe Vic looks like he does because he's the doppelganger of the guy in the mirror universe who doesn't have an equivalent living person. And maybe O'Brien got posted to DS9 because Smiley went to Terok Nor first. It's more of a Dark Tower interpretation, granted, but it's more sensical than a straight parallel world.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There are infinite worlds with every single variation imaginable and unimaginable. The crossovers happen when [science bullshit] specifically because their similar worlds.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Shockingly the Enterprise episode that explains it is quite good.

I enjoyed the episode but the explanation is dumb and fanwanky

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
So I'm about a fourth of the way through S2 of Enterprise. Enjoying it for the most part, though the Communicator episode had me wanting to hurl things at whoever wrote it. So freaking stupid that they couldn't leave a communicator due to "contamination" so what do they do? They contaminate them about 100x more. Ugh. Maybe they should have some sort of homing device built into their tech so they could beam it back up when lost?

The next episode had Hoshi freaking out and having a fever dream during an emergency transport, and it was pretty entertaining and character building (while still being a "reset-button" episode). I am starting to notice the fore-mentioned pattern of Archer getting captured a lot.

Still better than watching most network tv.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enterprise is bad but 99% of TV is unwatchably bad anyways. I enjoyed it. I guess I'm still enjoying it, on the last season now. Not looking forward to old fat riker.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is Q in the Mirror Universe, or is he like a Pakled there? this is important

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Enterprise is bad but 99% of TV is unwatchably bad anyways. I enjoyed it. I guess I'm still enjoying it, on the last season now. Not looking forward to old fat riker.

I'm seriously considering skipping that final episode. I watched it many years ago by itself and still remember the soul-sucking.

I think the thing that irritated me the most with that Communicator episode was that they forced the drama. There's no need for that. There's plenty of drama to be had with them being the first earth ship out that far in space. No need to force it. Hell, if you were that worried about contamination you'd build a self destruct into the drat things and blow them up from orbit if you forgot it.

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tikifire posted:

I'm seriously considering skipping that final episode. I watched it many years ago by itself and still remember the soul-sucking.

I think the thing that irritated me the most with that Communicator episode was that they forced the drama. There's no need for that. There's plenty of drama to be had with them being the first earth ship out that far in space. No need to force it. Hell, if you were that worried about contamination you'd build a self destruct into the drat things and blow them up from orbit if you forgot it.

The thing that drove me nuts about that episode is why they didn't just beam the communicator up with the transporter. It has a signal they can lock onto, right?

They always act paranoid about transporting people with it in Enterprise but I don't think cargo would be a problem.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And just leave the loving thing. It's a radio. Those guys already have radios, it's just a radio built differently. So gently caress it.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

macnbc posted:

The thing that drove me nuts about that episode is why they didn't just beam the communicator up with the transporter. It has a signal they can lock onto, right?

They always act paranoid about transporting people with it in Enterprise but I don't think cargo would be a problem.

They could only narrow it down to a 3 block radius or some such nonsense until they went back down and looked for it on foot. Still pretty stupid, and led to them almost being hung for their trouble. T'pol also makes it sound like they probably started a war with what they did and the faux-nazis mistaking them for their sort-of-enemies.

Let's say they just left the communicator and were like "oh well," I doubt that civilization as shown would have known what the thing was, much less what to do with it. They certainly wouldn't have gone to war over it. It was so far in advance of their tech-level it would have probably taken years for them to reverse-engineer it too.

If you're that worried, just drop a space-buoy and mark it as a place to check up on in about 50 years or so.

I'm guessing the writers were wanting viewers to think "See? This is why they make the Prime Directive!" but all I could think was "Jeez is this stupid."

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 14, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Trek, specially enterprise, the transporter only works when the plot needs it. In any situation where the transporter or sensors would actually help, they don't.
"Sir, I'm detecting 3 human and 1 tellarite bio-signs from that ship a day behind us at warp, the human may have a peanut allergy and green eyes but I can't quite confirm at this distance"
"We think the captain may be somewhere on this continent, we can't narrow it down any further so we'll have to search on foot"

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

In Trek, specially enterprise, the transporter only works when the plot needs it. In any situation where the transporter or sensors would actually help, they don't.
"Sir, I'm detecting 3 human and 1 tellarite bio-signs from that ship a day behind us at warp, the human may have a peanut allergy and green eyes but I can't quite confirm at this distance"
"We think the captain may be somewhere on this continent, we can't narrow it down any further so we'll have to search on foot"

I've been getting that feeling about the transporter from what I've seen so far. If it works as well as they keep claiming they should be using it to solve all sorts of problems-of-the-week. They really should have made it more fritzy, have smoke coming out of it at times or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"The captain is in that stadium about to be killed in a gladiator battle. We can't beam him up because of a naturally occuring inverse tachyon fountain between these two mountain ranges interfering with the heisenberg compensators."

*winks into camera*

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

And Vic was a real person!

You can peg this "revelation" as basically the exact moment the writers stopped giving a gently caress about the mirror universe.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/808862611831980032

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tikifire posted:

I've been getting that feeling about the transporter from what I've seen so far. If it works as well as they keep claiming they should be using it to solve all sorts of problems-of-the-week. They really should have made it more fritzy, have smoke coming out of it at times or something.

It should have 37 redundant safety functions that prevent it from being used AT ALL unless there is a 100% positive lock unless you want to risk dying a horrible death, making it easy to remove if the story has an issue that it could solve in 12 seconds while still keeping the awesome wonder of being able to teleport like a loving wizard made of glitter.

Tikifire posted:

They could only narrow it down to a 3 block radius or some such nonsense until they went back down and looked for it on foot. Still pretty stupid, and led to them almost being hung for their trouble. T'pol also makes it sound like they probably started a war with what they did and the faux-nazis mistaking them for their sort-of-enemies.

Let's say they just left the communicator and were like "oh well," I doubt that civilization as shown would have known what the thing was, much less what to do with it. They certainly wouldn't have gone to war over it. It was so far in advance of their tech-level it would have probably taken years for them to reverse-engineer it too.

If you're that worried, just drop a space-buoy and mark it as a place to check up on in about 50 years or so.

I'm guessing the writers were wanting viewers to think "See? This is why they make the Prime Directive!" but all I could think was "Jeez is this stupid."

Whats funny is that it becomes a good episode if it was a phaser or maguffin that will explode and kill a bunch of poo poo so there is a huge reason for needing to go back for it since the consequences would be dire for the natives. I like the episode, but it is stupid as poo poo for all the reasons you described.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MrJacobs posted:

Whats funny is that it becomes a good episode if it was a phaser or maguffin that will explode and kill a bunch of poo poo so there is a huge reason for needing to go back for it since the consequences would be dire for the natives. I like the episode, but it is stupid as poo poo for all the reasons you described.

Almost any other device on the ship would have been vastly more important, up to and including most of Chef's tools of the trade. A good radio in a society that already has radios is not some kind of astoundingly disruptive influence. Then of course they gently caress up by revealing themselves, meaning the side that caught them now believes the other assholes have prototypes of crazy good energy weapons and genetic modification, and are going to launch a war within the next week before those things can get into full production. :v:

e; Actually I'd like to see an episode where they gently caress up and leave something behind, but figure that fixing it might remove the item whilst doing far greater damage in other ways, so they just leave it be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was it a radio or a subspace radio?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing is a reference to a line from a TOS episode where McCoy thinks he left his communicator behind on a pre-warp planet that had already been culturally contaminated by a previous Federation ship decades prior

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

The whole thing is a reference to a line from a TOS episode where McCoy thinks he left his communicator behind on a pre-warp planet that had already been culturally contaminated by a previous Federation ship decades prior
The gangster planet!

Apparently the canon version here is that when the next Fed ship came by they found a rough but functional starbase and a curious level of parallel design to Starfleet. At that point I believe they let them into the Federation.

It's unclear if they still all talked like mobsters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the Titan novels they recently introduced a character who is from the Wild West Planet of TOS.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the Titan novels they recently introduced a character who is from the Wild West Planet of TOS.

But that wasn't a wild west planet. That was another over-evolved and under socialized energy being with a lesson to teach, wasnt it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

remusclaw posted:

But that wasn't a wild west planet. That was another over-evolved and under socialized energy being with a lesson to teach, wasnt it?

He's not a child, he's 34!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I like the idea of the mirror universe and the regular one being entangled to the point of people coincidentally appearing in the same place on both sides. And it goes both ways, too. Like, maybe Vic looks like he does because he's the doppelganger of the guy in the mirror universe who doesn't have an equivalent living person. And maybe O'Brien got posted to DS9 because Smiley went to Terok Nor first. It's more of a Dark Tower interpretation, granted, but it's more sensical than a straight parallel world.

When a redshirt on TOS dies abruptly, it's because his mirror counterpart just got assassinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Angry Salami posted:

When a redshirt on TOS dies abruptly, it's because his mirror counterpart just got assassinated.

Why would someone assassinate a redshirt, you can't move ahead in rank that way :confused: