Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Krispy Kareem posted:

More like when you're going to die you go to a hospice or home instead of staying hooked up in a hospital because your family insists on every last effort.

I can't imagine my experiences with hospitals are that different than other people. Four hours before my father passed the hospital was doing some weird EKG brain test (he died from renal failure). My grandmother's last day probably cost Medicare $20k because her son insisted on every life-saving measure on an 87 year woman with a systolic blood pressure that looked like my Calculus grade (I got a D in Calculus). If my dumbass uncle had to pay 20% of those costs he would have had a different perspective.

Anecdotal sure. But like 30% of healthcare costs take place a month before death. There are some perverse incentives going on that are skewing costs

Old people do vote so this point can never be brought up in a national debate. Really, though, people should probably accept death and try for better quality of life than longevity. gently caress me if I end up clinging to life at 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Blinkman987 posted:

Old people do vote so this point can never be brought up in a national debate. Really, though, people should probably accept death and try for better quality of life than longevity. gently caress me if I end up clinging to life at 80.

Somebody post the derail bird but the problem with picking an arbitrary number like this is that it betrays the beauty and complexity of life at all ages. Sure if you're a deconditioned, bed-bound 75 year old you probably don't need a knee replacement... unless your bum knee is what's keeping you from enjoying your glory days, as is often the case in folks as old as 90. I've done knee replacements on 90 year olds who went on to have 5 or 6 John Glenn had one at this age, for instance although I obviously didn't do his surgery good years that they wouldn't have been able to enjoy without that intervention, and to make a sweeping generalization about what we should and shouldn't pay for based on a number that's as variable as life expectancy seems riddled with problems.

That said, maybe if you want to get your knee replaced at 90 you should have to contribute more toward the cost of your care but then again, you've paid a lot for that policy in your life so it's a little problematic.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Removed from Reddit but kinda fun

quote:

Hi everyone, I am currently a medical resident in my 3rd and last year before I start fellowship in Fall 2017. My salary next year will be roughly ~60k and my fiancee's ~90k. I currently have about 210k in student loans with an interest rate of 6.55% and am currently paying on a pay-as-you-earn payment plan about $300 dollars a month but do not think I will qualify for loan forgiveness. On top of all of this, I am getting married next year with an estimated budget of 70k. Once we get married, we are planning on moving into an apartment together or possibly buying a place with estimated monthly payments no more than ~2.2k. Her parents have been generous enough to help out their kids with a gift of 100k after they get married. We had assumed we would take that gift to help with our down payment for a house once I finish fellowship, but they are now offering to give the 100k now to possibly help with the wedding expenses. Our current plan to pay off the wedding expenses include us both saving over the next year, her taking a loan out of her 401k, and cash gifts from wedding attendees. So my question to you all is should we take the 100k now so as to not have to take a loan out of her 401k, or should we tough it out now and take the 100k later for the house?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Oh that seems reasonabholy poo poo!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

lol stupid kind of money, good for them

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Sounds sensible, at least until medical science puts out treatments offering more bang for the buck:

https://www.calicolabs.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Somebody post the derail bird but the problem with picking an arbitrary number like this is that it betrays the beauty and complexity of life at all ages. Sure if you're a deconditioned, bed-bound 75 year old you probably don't need a knee replacement... unless your bum knee is what's keeping you from enjoying your glory days, as is often the case in folks as old as 90. I've done knee replacements on 90 year olds who went on to have 5 or 6 John Glenn had one at this age, for instance although I obviously didn't do his surgery good years that they wouldn't have been able to enjoy without that intervention, and to make a sweeping generalization about what we should and shouldn't pay for based on a number that's as variable as life expectancy seems riddled with problems.

That said, maybe if you want to get your knee replaced at 90 you should have to contribute more toward the cost of your care but then again, you've paid a lot for that policy in your life so it's a little problematic.

So what you're saying is to be fair we should just instate mandatory euthanasia at like 65, Logan's Run style. Bonus points for immediately solving every social security problem and giving everyone much more spendable income due to no longer needing to pay for that or put away for retirement, it'd be the biggest economic stimulus ever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Sounds sensible, at least until medical science puts out treatments offering more bang for the buck:

https://www.calicolabs.com/

Also lol if you think immortality research, if successful, will go to benefit anyone but the ultra-wealthy due to astronomical treatment cost and probably intentional secrecy / exclusivity, at least within our lifetimes.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also lol if you think immortality research, if successful, will go to benefit anyone but the ultra-wealthy due to astronomical treatment cost and probably intentional secrecy / exclusivity, at least within our lifetimes.

Not to derail or anything, but Toucans have a lifespan of about 20 years.

EDIT: To close the loop, toucan anti aging cream:
https://www.toucan.ro/product/unforgettable-anti-aging-cream/
They are about $30 each so probably bad with money

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

baquerd posted:

Ask yourself who could possibly fight over your stuff or who you really want to try to give certain things you own to. If it's no one, well, I'm not sure what the point of a will is regardless of net worth.

No idea about the US situation, but at least in NZ, if you die without a will and with decent assets it's often more expensive to administer your estate compared to dying with one. Also there are rules for who gets your assets that may not be what you'd expect or want (like if you're survived by a spouse and your parents, your spouse gets two-thirds of your estate and your parents get a third). Having a will allows you to appoint who you want as executor as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I need to make out a will one of these days. Should I wait until we've got a positive net worth?

Even if you don't have a positive net worth, it's worth thinking about a living will, power of attorney, etc.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I've been in an extended estate administration battle over a family estate for nearly 20 years, and it's nothing you want any part of. GET A loving WILL, AND MAKE SURE IT'S AIRTIGHT.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

So what you're saying is to be fair we should just instate mandatory euthanasia at like 65, Logan's Run style. Bonus points for immediately solving every social security problem and giving everyone much more spendable income due to no longer needing to pay for that or put away for retirement, it'd be the biggest economic stimulus ever

Quality of life skyrockets.

People still find a way to make it worse.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bastard Tetris posted:

I've been in an extended estate administration battle over a family estate for nearly 20 years, and it's nothing you want any part of. GET A loving WILL, AND MAKE SURE IT'S AIRTIGHT.

I got out of a messy one earlier this year after ~1.5 years, and that was long enough for me. Can't imagine 20 years :smithicide:

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5i9wdi/my_5_month_old_house_is_killing_me_how_do_i_get/

quote:

I've owned my house for less than 5 months and already, its just taken a huge toll on me personally and professionally. I live further away so my commute is longer. I ended up taking in one of my friends as a roommate and it is ruining my life. I pay thousands of dollars every month so far in repairs (as well as supplementing my roommate's discount rent).
So what are my options and which one is the best?
Can I sell it? Its been less than a year. My house is probably worth $50-$100k more than I paid for it if I sell it over the summer. Will I have to pay full income tax on $50k if I sell it within the year? My tax bracket is in the 33% range. If I sell it and buy a condo, can I roll over my gains without paying income tax if I live in another purchase for 2 full years?
Can I rent out the whole house without paying income tax? The market value for the rental would be almost equal to my mortgage and escrow. So if I rent it out for $2k, can I deduct the full $2k?
Can I rent out the whole house for a year and then move back in for a year somewhere down the line to fill in the 2 year capital gain rule?
Can I rent it out on airbnb until I hit the 2 year mark and make sure I'm "home" for 14 days every January for it to be my primary residence? Will that count if I also rent an apartment somewhere else?
If I rent it out on airbnb instead of a leased rental, can I deduct my full mortgage from it? Or is it pro-rated by day?
Sorry for all the questions, I tried to google all of this and I couldn't really get a clear answer...

I find the claim that the house is probably worth 50k-100k more than the OP paid for it fairly doubtful.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bastard Tetris posted:

But, the person who should have had the will doesn't have any part of it.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I want people to fight over my estate :v:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

ohgodwhat posted:

I want people to fight over my estate :v:

Off topic but that's a pretty balling user icon you've got there.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Spiffness posted:

Removed from Reddit but kinda fun

Did they not think to put that $100k towards the $210k in student loans?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Yup

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Given the potential demand, the companies making it would have a strong incentive to make it as affordable as possible - both for economy of scale and to avoid inciting a big-budget sequel to the French Revolution.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Milk posted:

No idea about the US situation, but at least in NZ, if you die without a will and with decent assets it's often more expensive to administer your estate compared to dying with one. Also there are rules for who gets your assets that may not be what you'd expect or want (like if you're survived by a spouse and your parents, your spouse gets two-thirds of your estate and your parents get a third). Having a will allows you to appoint who you want as executor as well.

Really? I figured everywhere gave the whole estate to your spouse/kids by default.

I don't think parents in the U.S. have any claim to their adult child's estate unless there isn't a spouse or kids.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Serious question, since it's been untouched for 20 years did the assets appreciate or is everything held in cash and slowly being eaten away by inflation?

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

BloodBag posted:

Borrrringgggggg

Here's a great one, this guy is so bad with money he made the news

"The bank lent me $2m(by accident) so I spent it on strippers and cars"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38308842

quote:

Luke Brett Moore, a young Australian, had just lost his job when he discovered his bank was mistakenly allowing him unlimited credit. It was too good an opportunity to miss. As he explains here, in his own words, he started spending and didn't stop - until one day there was a knock on the door.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^the assets could have been sold and the money is sitting in an account.

Just imagine how messy the battle for Prince's estate is :v:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Prince had no surviving children or a spouse, didn't everything go to his sister?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Prince had no surviving children or a spouse, didn't everything go to his sister?

His sister and five half-siblings are the remaining claimants right now, there were more earlier in the process but it has been whittled down as it winds its way through court.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bastard Tetris posted:

My parents have been dealing with this over the past few years as my grandparents have been dying off, and my spouse's parents have been doing the same. Now that it's over with, my parents told me their gift to me and my siblings is an airtight will and trust, one of the conditions being that anyone that fights it in court loses all claims.

After seeing what they and my in-laws have gone through the past two years, I can honestly say it's one of the nicest gifts I've ever received.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Chocolate Milk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5i9wdi/my_5_month_old_house_is_killing_me_how_do_i_get/

I find the claim that the house is probably worth 50k-100k more than the OP paid for it fairly doubtful.

My advice would br for him to hold onto it for another year so that hit sells for $150-$300k more than the buying price. Or maybe five years and rake in a cool million in profit.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5icsww/188k_in_student_loans_several_questions_about/

quote:

So my girlfriend (24) of 8 years now went to school, changed majors twice and took 5 yeas to graduate. She received a BA in Illustration and ~$188k in student loan debt.

I (25) read the student loans section, as well as the debt section, as well as the 18-25 section. Basically what I learned was that she should be trying to get the lowered payments with IBR or PAYE. That, or she can try to work 10 years in a PSLF.

My first question is, are IBR and PAYE universal options? The bulk of her student loans are with Discover. Is that an option with them? How does it work? I seem to remember her asking them about this when they first kicked in over a year ago and them either telling her "No, that's not an option" or the option still being too expensive for her to pay in addition to rent (~$600-$650/mo including utilities). At the time she was working two part time jobs for a combined 35-45 hours a week at just above minimum wage.

Currently she is jobless and trying her damnedest to find something in her field. I've been paying her rent since July/August, but I can't really do that for too much longer as I'm running out of savings.

The conversations that I do remember with Discover went in a variety of directions. First, she was told that she was pre-approved for lowered hardship payments. Second, she was denied hardship after applying because her grandma's credit was too high and she co-signed on the loan (this was after being told she was already pre-approved). Third, she was told that they didn't need to even apply in the first place, and that she could put it in forbearance for the time being and just look for a job while not paying at all. So, that's what she did, straight over the phone with the third (if not higher) person she spoke to.

So now, despite applying to hundreds of jobs vaguely related to her field, she has come out of the 3 month stint of forbearance still jobless. She called them a few days ago to get the forbearance extended. The guy completely blew her off and basically ignored the fact that she asked for this (which happened the first few times she asked about it 3 months ago as well). He would go on about how forbearance was a bad choice and that she should just apply for hardship. Well, this went on for so long that my girlfriend just caved in and said okay to applying to hardship. She has been waiting on the email with the application to come for over 48 hours now. During this time her next payment period has arrived and she is now required to pay an apparently extra large month (or maybe it's additive with what was floating before she went into forbearance). If they had just gotten her the paperwork on time she wouldn't have had yet another problem with this.

Is there anything she can do about that?

Is there any advice you can give me for her when she's talking to the company?

Can someone explain refinancing the loan, what that would potentially do for her and how we would go about doing that?

What about PSLF? If she had a PSLF job for 9 years and then got fired or changed companies, does all of that accumulated time disappear? Or would it carry over if she found a new job? Is there a registery for this kind of employer?

Any other advice is welcomed as well.

If you need any additional information to answer the questions, please ask. Any help given is greatly appreciated.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, that poor couple. Those private loans ain't ever getting PSLF'd.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Choice response by the OP:

quote:

Yeah she discovered UpWork a little but ago. She did a children's book called Tercules (turkey + Hercules). Only $400, for what has amounted to about a month+ of work. Seems to be a trend on sites like that, everyone pays like trash. It is definitely good for her portfolio, just the only income in about 3 months.

Thanks for saying it's not helpless.

I have a great idea for a children's book for her to illustrate, we'll call it "Just wait till we're diamond"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A thread that comes up with wacky illustration ideas to submit to those sites would be awesome, and I bet could find sponsors.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks gig economy, literally everything can be socially commoditized at arm's length with the right startup including illustration of stupid children's books

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

A thread that comes up with wacky illustration ideas to submit to those sites would be awesome, and I bet could find sponsors.

This except make it Fiverr because you'll get the most hilariously low-effort garbage back

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This except make it Fiverr because you'll get the most hilariously low-effort garbage back

No, I want a skillful, painterly interpretation of "the Simpsons couch scene, but with the skeletons of birds".

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Thanks gig economy, literally everything can be socially commoditized at arm's length with the right startup including illustration of stupid children's books

It's kinda like those scenes from movies depicting the 1800s where a factory boss would go "OK... I have FIVE JOBS available" and a giant crowd of people would be all "OHOH I'LL DO IT FOR A PENNY" except the apps conceal all the distasteful imagery and it all happens in the background so we can pretend like we have low unemployment.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Roylicious posted:

It's kinda like those scenes from movies depicting the 1800s where a factory boss would go "OK... I have FIVE JOBS available" and a giant crowd of people would be all "OHOH I'LL DO IT FOR A PENNY" except the apps conceal all the distasteful imagery and it all happens in the background so we can pretend like we have low unemployment.

it's in Bioshock Infinite too only taken to its conclusion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVihhOrVUI

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Roylicious posted:

lol it's not even the movies, this is basically how the construction industry operates with day labor. there is undoubtedly a street corner or storefront near you where this occurs with varying degrees legailty and agency middleman involvement. I am surprised there isn't like some kind of loving Tinder for construction foremen to swipe right and left on workers to hire for the day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am surprised there isn't like some kind of loving Tinder for construction foremen to swipe right and left on workers to hire for the day

I have been pitched this exact company. "We only need an Android app, because the workers can't really afford iPhones."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/806947315315396612

• Locked thread