Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sethimothy posted:

Five bucks to buy a custom paint job for space ships that won't even be seen unless you're outfitting your ship, brilliant.

(Says the guy with a gold paintjob on his Mark III and who had a paintjob for his Adder and who bought a paint job for the DBX he doesn't even have yet.)

Slowly deteriorating paint jobs are critical for getting that perfect shot of the weird-rear end quintuple-star system from the perspective of an undiscovered Earth-like, 40kLy away from civilisation.
:colbert:

On an unrelated note, neutron-boosting is really scary, and seems to be pretty bad for your paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Grind enough money from 17 Draconis and you can afford a corvette or anaconda that will let you ogle your paint job all you want from the comfort of the bridge.

Then you can ogle pirates in RES as you use the bow of your ship to spear them directly into the nearest asteroid.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If you guys need something to spend all that money on, the newest meta per the beta patch would be a fixed weapon FDL. Good hunting!

actually the new meta continues to be playing in solo :grin:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

don't worry you have until March 1 to buy them :downs:

Or Jan 3. Euros do their dates weird!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Krycek posted:

Or Jan 3. Euros do their dates weird!

It's weird, what's the point of having 31 months if you're going to make them have only 12 days?

Well the bad news is I flew away from 17 Draconis but the good news is now my Cobra III has a 4A engine instead of a 4D so if I want to go back (maybe with dumbfire missiles?) it won't take me as long. My jump range is still pretty god awful though, I think I can go about 20 now instead of 12.03?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

finally tried this and holy poo poo :lol: it is awesome. Turned in my first few missions and went from ~100k-400k payouts to ~700k-1.2m, and just saw one for allied rep only for 11.8m :stonk:

13 mil so far for 20 minutes work. Finally, money!

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 14, 2016

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It gets to the point where you are stacking several 10 million plus missions and gaining fed rank at the same time. Honestly I feel like it's better than a lot of the other money opportunities that came before it because it doesn't take long at all, gives rank, and you earn a truckload of cash.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Parallelwoody posted:

It gets to the point where you are stacking several 10 million plus missions and gaining fed rank at the same time. Honestly I feel like it's better than a lot of the other money opportunities that came before it because it doesn't take long at all, gives rank, and you earn a truckload of cash.

Yeah I went from 75% Midshipman to 100% with that first batch and now I'm working another batch worth ~15m .

It's telling that so many people are flooding to take advantage of this, Frontier really need to sort their poo poo out and make earning easier. (Or just keep letting this happen)

edit: FAS, Python, Vulture, Vulture, Anaconda, FAS, Python, FAS, then a Corvette (I :gonk:ed for a moment while waiting for the countdown on that one in my Viper III), then an Eagle, lol

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 14, 2016

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
"War" in this game is ridiculous. This is the most realistic this game has ever been. I like to imagine ive got bad intel and im bombing an orphanage, but its cool cause im just gonna plant weapons later and get paid anyways.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

"War" in this game is ridiculous. This is the most realistic this game has ever been. I like to imagine ive got bad intel and im bombing an orphanage, but its cool cause im just gonna plant weapons later and get paid anyways.

Yeah I'm good with "finding" some evidence of war crimes later, after I've delivered these missiles, two at a time.

Also, now I can take the 12mil ones, yay

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Pilchenstein posted:

Have the servers exploded under the weight of all this money people are throwing around? :v:

The servers hosting the brown sea surely have!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah I went from 75% Midshipman to 100% with that first batch and now I'm working another batch worth ~15m .

It's telling that so many people are flooding to take advantage of this, Frontier really need to sort their poo poo out and make earning easier. (Or just keep letting this happen)

edit: FAS, Python, Vulture, Vulture, Anaconda, FAS, Python, FAS, then a Corvette (I :gonk:ed for a moment while waiting for the countdown on that one in my Viper III), then an Eagle, lol

Quoting/bolding for when the :airquote: balancing patch :airquote: tanks payments for everything else and mission payouts for everything go sub-50k. :frontear:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Maybe I wasn't made for space because this game's docking tutorial has me so confused.

So I go to Azeban City and get the message that says I'm within dropout range and to disengage supercruise. I do so, and without fail, after getting the message to request docking, I'm told that I dropped out of supercruise too far away from the target station. I've made sure I have the city targeted when I do this, I'm in the blue when I do this. Is this a common bug or am I missing something?

The game keeps telling me I'm in range and then I guess apparently I was not actually in range.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The moment you're within 1Mm (megametre) you're close enough to drop out of supercruise and it'll pop you within 9k or so of the station. You want to make sure you've slowed down enough too. Try and keep your throttle in the blue zone for this as you're approaching the station and your ship's speed will ease down gradually. Aim for the ETA number to read ~7 seconds and just look for the hud element to turn blue. Drop out then.

Generally, try and make sure you're coming toward the station from "inside" its orbit (between it and the planet it's orbiting, or between it and the star if it's not by a planet). That way, you won't have to try and remember which side the station's mail slot is.

edit: Wait, I know what you're on about now. You need to be within 7.5km to request docking.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 14, 2016

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I get it now. I went ahead and ignored the game telling me to go back into Supercruise and just flew closer, that worked.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Viridiant posted:

I get it now. I went ahead and ignored the game telling me to go back into Supercruise and just flew closer, that worked.

Yeah just keep an eye out for the HUD element to turn blue (or watch the distance/speed gauge in the bottom left corner of the screen, it shows the "drop out" range in blue).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sethimothy posted:

Five bucks to buy a custom paint job for space ships that won't even be seen unless you're outfitting your ship, brilliant.

(Says the guy with a gold paintjob on his Mark III and who had a paintjob for his Adder and who bought a paint job for the DBX he doesn't even have yet.)

Look the gold paint jobs I have on my Asp Explorer and FDL are ESSENTIAL AND REQUIRED FOR SPACE FLIGHT ok? I know about shiny things making solar stuff reflective or something.

Buzzwords! Radiation! That movie where some dumb idiots dropped a nuke into the sun or something instead of sending a space iRoomba.

(it's pretty cool when your golden FDL drops in from orbit to pick up your joyriding SRV)

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I did one round of missions at 17 Draconis last night for like 9 million credits total, and it got me up to friendly from neutral with them. If this is still going on later tonight I might do another round for even more cashola.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

I did one round of missions at 17 Draconis last night for like 9 million credits total, and it got me up to friendly from neutral with them. If this is still going on later tonight I might do another round for even more cashola.

Do it. Since I posted at 9:45pm forum time, I've gone from 2.9mil in cash reserves to 164mil and I have no intention of stopping any time soon.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Did about 4 hours tonight and broke 500 mil. I actually was going to stop around 300 but when I'd turn in missions, the faction would have two or three 10m+ missions ready to go and those are just too good to pass up. Of course to maximize the opportunity I needed to stack a bit...

It's tempting to do more but I can already buy what I want and I'm not really interested in flying a Conda or Corvette right now.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Thanks, thread, for the 17 Draconis tip.

I've played ED very on and off since release and only made around 80 million during that time. Yesterday got 100m more despite having to rank up and not taking rocket launchers with me. Maybe I can buy that Python in this lifetime after all :woop:
I don't even feel bad cheesing it. gently caress Braben and his dubiously colored teeth for making this game such a hideous grindfest. (which is probably because ~online~~ but gently caress him for that too)

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Finally made allied in 17 Draconis, an hour of refreshing to stack up several million-credit missions aaaaaand my internet goes out hard during orbital descent. :smith:

Real life will keep me away long enough for all of them to expire, do failed missions cost you rep? Also, any idea how much longer the civil war state might last?

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Not quite as ludicrous as 17 Draconis, but I'm back out at Aditi and I'm allied with every faction from grinding earlier this year. A deep scanner and stack of scanning missions that are each 500k-1.2mil plus and they all want info on the same little base on Morrow Peek, conveniently the planet one of the main stations orbits. Land, scan, leave, turn in, rinse and repeat.

If only :frontear:hadn't broken planets for me and my aging GeForce with the latest update I'd be home dry, but instead it's 3fps with settings on min at planet level :sigh: still that does at least mean there's some challenge

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wow sometimes the mission board RNG really blows. I've hit a rut of mostly lovely low-end missions across all three modes. How frequently does the board refresh?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Every five minutes, I believe. I'm running into the same sour luck.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Yesterday I kept logging into main menu for 10 minutes and it refreshed the board every time except once.

:iiam:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

[...] Is there a tool or a website you all use that can tell you roughly who is selling what close to an area so you can say "Oh hey, I need to go 5 hops over this way?" Or is it pretty much just kind of a guess based off of who owns what system and what they might be selling?

https://eddb.io/station -> enter the item/ship you want to buy and your current location, it will show you stations that sold the item in the past. If the price data is old (eg. weeks instead of hours/days) it's possible the item isn't available anymore. You can also filter by faction (eg. "Li Yong-Rui" and "control") so you can get sweet Yong-mart discounts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

https://eddb.io/station -> enter the item/ship you want to buy and your current location, it will show you stations that sold the item in the past. If the price data is old (eg. weeks instead of hours/days) it's possible the item isn't available anymore. You can also filter by faction (eg. "Li Yong-Rui" and "control") so you can get sweet Yong-mart discounts.

I would probably have abandoned playing ED long ago if that website resource wasn't available because good luck finding out anything useful in game unless you physically land at each station and take extensive notes in some 500 page A4 lined paper notebook.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

315 million, aaand I'm done for the evening.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I take it 17 Drac is a Horizons only thing?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

SkySteak posted:

I take it 17 Drac is a Horizons only thing?

Yeah, blitzing skimmers with rockets is a planetside thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
And thus getting "fixed" as soon as 3.0 lands. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I keep trying to work up the energy to play this again and then I remember I'm parked on a moon shooting space rocks for my power planet upgrade and then don't. Maybe the next expansion will totally change the game. :(

DancingShade posted:

I would probably have abandoned playing ED long ago if that website resource wasn't available because good luck finding out anything useful in game unless you physically land at each station and take extensive notes in some 500 page A4 lined paper notebook.

Look kid let me tell you how great games were in 84...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

quote:

Patch Notes
Massacre mission counter no longer tallies skimmer kills per community feedback.
Massacre mission payouts adjusted to be more immersive.
Massacre mission counters no longer run concurrently. Instead, counters will be resolved sequentially. For example: Two missions requiring four kills each will now require a total of eight kills total, rather than four.

Mailer posted:

I keep trying to work up the energy to play this again and then I remember I'm parked on a moon shooting space rocks for my power planet upgrade and then don't. Maybe the next expansion will totally change the game. :(

I stopped working on trying to engineer my FSDs because I can't remember where the hell I was farming praesodymium.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:laffo: is this real?

quote:

Massacre mission payouts adjusted to be more immersive.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

edit: nothing to see here :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Earning money to afford things is not immersive.

Enjoy flying your Cobra Mk 3 forever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Today's holiday paint job is a chrome Cutter :stwoon:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Today's holiday paint job is a chrome Cutter :stwoon:

Unf.

Adbot