Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only thing people usually say to me is "daaaaaaaaamn" because I do hella dps.

Report them for using illegal third party tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Raiders are fine, though we really only have one big raiding guild on Balmung. You don't need to be a tool to be a raider, and vice versa.

As near as I can tell Balmung mostly uses linkshell statics for progression so they can be a part of their pirate RP FC as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Countblanc posted:

Report them for using illegal third party tools.

I do enough DPS that it's noticeable without a parser.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure 90% of my DRs are done without incident. It's only the 10% of the ones with the bads that make it to me posting about it on the thread.

The only real wrong thing about the Primal data server is where they tank the bone dragon.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Months behind probably but I killed A12S and got a fancy new chest to celebrate.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

I will concur this. I remember being in the same group tanking a thing for another goon and having to chain three Butcher's Block combos on first pull just to make sure I had a proper threat lead before even thinking about Path or Eye.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Everyone is nice to me because they think I am incredibly stupid given how badly I play the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rhymenoserous posted:

As near as I can tell Balmung mostly uses linkshell statics for progression so they can be a part of their pirate RP FC as well.

Yeah I think RareX is the only real progression FC on the server and their application is hilarious. It's more of a hassle than applying for a real world job.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Hydaelyn is dumb as a sack of rocks (crystals, as the case may be), which is why Minfilia is her chosen avatar. She's far too stupid to be pulling any sort of intentional deception.

She's basically a red text avatar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The party invite spammers is definitely annoying, but I gotta say that it's kinda cool when they suddenly realise a new way to game the system, at least initially. Games of cat and mouse and whatnot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently the new gil seller bot strategy is to put their site's URL in their name, and then send out party invites to people, because you can't report them unless they send you a tell.

At least it's good knowing that the report system has been pretty effective.

Hit yes, you can lick on "you joined <name> party" and report there, then leave.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Kortel posted:

I might be unlucky but the Primal Datacenter Tank population is just sort of dickish in general. In PotD and low level dungeons (just now about to unlock Blackmage) tanks seem to be primadonnas almost every run.
In PotD they flip out if you run away from the group to go kill another room, will refuse to move on unless all chests are open despite the chests being 4th items and if anyone else uses Pomanders they will initiate vote kicks. This is all pre-51 by the way.

In low level dungeons leading up to Totorak "I set the speed." is the general mentality.
My main character is on Aether and everyone is pretty loving chill there.

Maybe it's you. I've literally never run into any of this on Excalibur. Especially in PotD. I've only been kicked once in there and that was because I wouldn't stop DCing and I can't blame them for that.

When I'm tanking, I don't mind if someone pulls a little bit in DF if they want me to go faster, but if I already have a group and they refuse to hit what I'm tanking then I'm not gonna refuse to tank, but I'm not gonna try more than once to pull it off them either.

For bosses I just stay outside the barrier until I'm ready, so it's never a problem.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

if only it got attributed to me when I am doing 2k as the WAR tank, more than the actual DPS combined

instead the DPS pat each other's back for a job well done in party chat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

if only it got attributed to me when I am doing 2k as the WAR tank, more than the actual DPS combined

instead the DPS pat each other's back for a job well done in party chat

What's nice is when you have two good dps, a decent tank, and a healer that throws out even a smidge of dps. The first two packs in gubal melt before I even have to use invigorate. No one has to put up world class numbers for this to happen either. I don't think healers realize just how much extra dps they can add in.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yeah if ever dungeon I ran had four people above 2k DPS I would actually run dungeons

sadly I get to do one maybe once a month at best

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I feel like I should just highlight this fact for people reading this thread to find out about the game; this thread IS NOT a microcosm of what the game community is like. It is not a microcosm of the Excalibur server, it's not even a microcosm of the Goon Guilds advertised in this thread! It's a microcosm of MMO-HMO and even the Final Fantasy Megathread makes fun of this one for being chock full of the kind of misanthropic goofballs that post in this subforum.

Heck, I'm in the same FC as some of this threads' "try hard or else" boogeyman types and I've only ever dealt with people making GBS threads on me for being a lackadaisical player while queuing with strangers, and even those incidents are few and far between. Most people don't care and those that do tend to be noticeably bad at the game themselves.

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

I always played as red because he had a bigger package.
Yeah, everyone is actually quite wonderful in the game, on Excalibur, and in the goon guild I am in. I have only run into some odd outliers when getting random folks in a dungeon queue, and that's a rarity in itself.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I know everyone talks up Japanese servers, but I have an alt on Tonberry, and whenever I do levelling roulette, I'm floored by how much everyone respects the content. No one aoes, and no one dots multiple targets. I don't really want to grind another character to 60, but I'm curious about how they run things at that level.

Speaking of levelling, I wish they extended the armory bonus to side-quests. I don't really know why they don't. Anyone who levelled post-HW probably did few side quests, unless they hate the levelling roulette. They've got all this content and it's basically rotting because it's much more efficient to level by fates or potd for a secondary job.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's exactly 2 dps classes that *can* aoe worth a drat up to level 30 or so. BRD and MCH are decent-ish... *if* they have invigorate unlocked and the other dps is also aoeing or you're going to run out after 10 seconds just as well. Which brings us to drg, nin and mnk, who don't have any aoe at all until 30 and later, so the chance of the other dps straight up not being able to aoe at all isn't exactly small.

Basically, go caster or go home :v: Everyone else is more often than not better served hitting single target, either due to TP constraints or simply not having their aoe skill yet.

Unless you're talking about the 50+ HW leveling dungeons, in which case, congratulations on finding the datacenter worse than primal :confuoot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I'm hoping for in 4.0 is that they go back and change the order that you learn abilities. Every dps class should have an innate AOE ability by the time they enter dungeons. I think that would go a long way towards encouraging people to actually use their AOE abilities. Hopefully the cross class revamp means that every dps class gets Invigorate without having to level LNC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They better reimburse me for my time wasted playing LNC if Invigorate and Blood For Blood go baseline.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They better reimburse me for my time wasted playing LNC if Invigorate and Blood For Blood go baseline.

Yeah, but then there's some stuff like swiftcast that should have been baseline for the start for casters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Cross class skills are kinda neat tbh

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm on board with having players need to familiarize themselves with other classes over the course of building their skill set for the role they want to play. Even if up to level 37 won't get anyone a full picture of said class, it may impart some of its basic needs that can help them work with other people playing that class. I think it's a Good Thing.

I learned more about tanking in a DPS stance pushing Paladin up to get Awareness than anywhere else. I also learned that Paladin is rather enjoyable at higher levels and wouldn't have bothered to try if I wasn't already going most of the way for a cross class skill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Truga posted:

There's exactly 2 dps classes that *can* aoe worth a drat up to level 30 or so. BRD and MCH are decent-ish... *if* they have invigorate unlocked and the other dps is also aoeing or you're going to run out after 10 seconds just as well. Which brings us to drg, nin and mnk, who don't have any aoe at all until 30 and later, so the chance of the other dps straight up not being able to aoe at all isn't exactly small.

Basically, go caster or go home :v: Everyone else is more often than not better served hitting single target, either due to TP constraints or simply not having their aoe skill yet.

Unless you're talking about the 50+ HW leveling dungeons, in which case, congratulations on finding the datacenter worse than primal :confuoot:

I just spread fracture around pre-30 and post I use phlebotomize then start comboing the mobs. Seems to work well enough for me without any actual aoe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also the goon guilds are awesome and goons are awesome to play with. PBC was phenomenal when I was there and TPT is amazing now. I mean the game is dead right now because everyone is palling around with their bros in 15, but you should still never really want for people to do things with. There are always people on and I've never had a bad experience with anyone.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Truga posted:

Cross class skills are kinda neat tbh

Yeah. I mean, in terms of gameplay they are very boring, there's no choices to make or anything. But their purpose is to get more low-level job time out of players, surely? Get your lifers to pay the Level Dragoon to 34 Tax or Level Gladiator to 22 Tax, keep the low-level dungeons occupied so your newbies aren't adrift in an empty world. Of course, they add something like that every patch, like Wondrous Tails, so maybe they're not necessary any more. I'd like to see if the devs have data on what's most successful at getting people to do wide swathes of old content.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'm hoping for in 4.0 is that they go back and change the order that you learn abilities. Every dps class should have an innate AOE ability by the time they enter dungeons. I think that would go a long way towards encouraging people to actually use their AOE abilities. Hopefully the cross class revamp means that every dps class gets Invigorate without having to level LNC.

I'd like most "Required to be worth a poo poo" cross class skills to be in the sub level 15 range too. Finding out I have to take something to the mid 20's just to use a skill for a completely different class is kinda annoying as a new player.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I think that's kind of what they're talking about with the cross class revamp. Like instead of having to level LNC to 34 to get B4B, all dps classes will get it at 34. Hopefully they'll tell us more at Tokyo Fanfest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, but then there's some stuff like swiftcast that should have been baseline for the start for casters.

Very much so, it's just that playing Lancer (and Gladiator) is a punishment and playing Thaumaturge is pretty decent.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The second light step is way better than the first. Now finally onto the 3.0 relic. Now the real challenge starts.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

SonicRulez posted:

The second light step is way better than the first. Now finally onto the 3.0 relic. Now the real challenge starts.

I hope you've been buying Umbrite for a while now.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

i am tim! posted:

I feel like I should just highlight this fact for people reading this thread to find out about the game; this thread IS NOT a microcosm of what the game community is like. It is not a microcosm of the Excalibur server, it's not even a microcosm of the Goon Guilds advertised in this thread! It's a microcosm of MMO-HMO and even the Final Fantasy Megathread makes fun of this one for being chock full of the kind of misanthropic goofballs that post in this subforum.

Heck, I'm in the same FC as some of this threads' "try hard or else" boogeyman types and I've only ever dealt with people making GBS threads on me for being a lackadaisical player while queuing with strangers, and even those incidents are few and far between. Most people don't care and those that do tend to be noticeably bad at the game themselves.

there are people who for whatever reason can't make the mental leap from "i am better than the vast majority of players" to "if i hit the group-me-with-3-to-23-randomly-selected-players button my party will probably disappoint me"

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

i am tim! posted:

I'm the half page humble-bragging about my DPS.

This is a good post though - if the posting in this thread had been this poo poo in 2.2 I probably would've run the other way screaming than roll on excal, which would've been a huge mistake.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like everyone's been queued with some dire players before, but the well-adjusted thing to do is just deal with it because you deserve exactly what you got the moment you hit the duty finder button, plus it's funny

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

like everyone's been queued with some dire players before, but the well-adjusted thing to do is just deal with it because you deserve exactly what you got the moment you hit the duty finder button, plus it's funny

I see it more like complaining about weirdos on public transportation. Sure you know what you're getting into, but that doesn't mean you can't vent about it.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
Complaining is half the fun of it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i once saw a naked dude with a crack pipe on BART and didn't run off to the forums to complain about it dude

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wait, poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Reiterpallasch posted:

Bad DF parties are something to be savored sweetly, like a finely-aged toilet wine. If it isn't the sort of thing you can drink without spitting out you have no business playing mmos, and nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat in the party who can't drink politely.

• Locked thread