Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KataraniSword posted:

Celerity, Bard, and any new skillsets added post-Machinist have just kind of been :effort: in general, honestly. Darkness keeps rehashing the doom timer gimmick at this point, Sharpshooter might as well be named "Super Soaker" with how determined it is to be nothing more than a high-powered squirt gun, and Witch... Witch is just sort of a mess, reminding me of that one ancient forum post equating #-of-hits directly to the actual worth of a SB. They're weaker than -ajas at 5* and weaker than -agas at 4*, but they're multi-hit! As if that influences anything. Sure we're getting more stacking Faith effects, but we need those Faith effects to stay competitive with how quickly boss RES ramps up. More hits doesn't matter unless you're leaning towards a damage cap.
Bard is a pretty solid skillset with Allegro con Moto and Angelsong, really. It gives proshellga access to a bunch of people, and Allegro is an excellent way to actually get use out of the 5* witch skills, since you get three instant casts out of it.

Also idk what you mean by "rehashing the doom timer gimmick" because that's, like, the central theme of Darkness. Say what you will about darkness being bad at hybrid (because it is), but magical darkness is super solid and there's nothing wrong with it. 4* access is good for self-buffing, 5* access is a powerful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Darkness got a 2 hit magic Drainga recently that I don't think had any doom gimmicks attached to it. I sorta thought they were avoiding multi-hit drain commands after Thief's Revenge.

I think Dancer has gone the longest without any new skills, unless they introduced a Mind Dance at some point that I missed. Not that they really need anything else, but even there are a lot of interesting Dance abilities that could be fun to use. X-2 has stuff like Carnival Cancan to increase max HP, or Dirty Dancing for crit chance. There's Blade Dance for damage and the elemental stuff with Mog in VI.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

pichupal posted:

Darkness got a 2 hit magic Drainga recently that I don't think had any doom gimmicks attached to it. I sorta thought they were avoiding multi-hit drain commands after Thief's Revenge.

I think Dancer has gone the longest without any new skills, unless they introduced a Mind Dance at some point that I missed. Not that they really need anything else, but even there are a lot of interesting Dance abilities that could be fun to use. X-2 has stuff like Carnival Cancan to increase max HP, or Dirty Dancing for crit chance. There's Blade Dance for damage and the elemental stuff with Mog in VI.

It seems like the distinction between bard and dancer skills in this game is that bard skills buff your party while dancer skills debuff the enemy. So in that vein, I don't think the dances you mentioned would fit into that theme. Not that they couldn't still add them, but it would be a little out of place.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I guess it's more that skillsets right now are getting weird outliers, so I was sort of hoping Dancer could get something new and interesting too.

Machinist got two skills that are just damage (Tempest Snipe will be to Reno as Lightning Dive is to Kain), and thieves took the two hit Poison and Wind attacks from what used to be Spellblade territory. I wouldn't mind in the only new Dances to come out are just for Mind debuffs, but it'd be nice to see if they can come up with something interesting to fit the theme but break the mold a little.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Honestly, skills have been all over the place lately. The poison and wind thief skills with "deals more damage with daggers" could have easily been Sharpshooter instead, to actually give that skillset purpose. Instead they just added a 4* version of Sapphire Shot and called it a day with the latest X event. :psyduck:

Similarly, the upcoming Darkness skills which end up just being physical versions of the magical skills and vice versa.

More options is always cool and I won't complain but some of the design decisions are just strange.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm not even sure what his means; fortunately, outside of Fran (who is a support 5 for whom celerity access is basically gravy) and Edge (who is sadly bad unless you go really super heavy all in on a weird ninja Mage plan for him that is not worth what you'll spend on it), every Celerity 5 user is either also Combat 5 (I.e. They can PC/FC, at which point, it doesn't really matter if they have access to anything else - they're above the floor for Good and Useful Character), or they have Thief 5, and two hits of Northern Cross or a Powerchain to feed into a SB is a solid second slot filler in many cases.

Sorry, should have been more clear, I meant the people who have like Celerity 3 or 4, which basically leaves them with just Tempo Flurry and Dismissal. There are lots of bosses that can't be slowed as is, and if everything starts being immune to interruption then Celerity 3/4 ends up being effectively useless.

PC/FC is good and all, but I'm still pretty new and crafting / honing two 5-star abilities enough to be useful when there are tons of other, more flexible skills out there competing for orbs is not particularly compelling. It's a huge resource investment and it's still not going to be as good as some rando with a decent BSB in most cases. I'd like to hone them up eventually just so I've got more options for stuff like CMs and such, but I guess what I was getting at is that celerity users have a really limited, resource-intensive pool of skills compared to pretty much everyone else.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So let's look at those Cel 4 users:

We have
Wol
Refia
Bartz
Faris
Yuffie
Zell*
Freya
Jecht
Balthier
Fang
Mustadio

Of those, you've got 2 Dragoons, two Spellblades, 3 Machinists, a support/thief, two monks...

Nobody is hurting for buttons to push because dismissal is no longer useful.

Well, except maybe Wol. Wol is bad.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just had the most :psyduck: experience with the Ultimate+ Titan fight. Was planning on running the Vaan/Faris dream team, but was having trouble getting in a group, so I notice there's a guy named "WALL PLZ". So I decide, "gently caress it" and swap out Faris for Y'shtola. But then the game bugs out on me, and despite me finishing setting up Y'shtola and exiting and entering the lobby a few times, it still shows me as having Faris in my party. I figure it's just bugged out and not displaying Y'shtola properly.

Except the fight starts and Faris is still in my party. With no armor. Or Earth resist accessory. Or Record Materia. And Steal HP as her only skill because I'd given Wrath to Y'shtola. The only other thing she had left was the generic XIV 5* bow I'd given her. :gonk:

She still survived the fight (though at one point I thought she'd died due to server lag) and managed to get in some great damage during the heart phase. :black101:

Multiplayer is great. :buddy:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I basically always bring Ramza and Tyro into MP. Seems like there's a lot of people that form parties with no wall or hastega and I'm able to fill both those roles.

Everyone's also tempting me to pull on the Nightmare banner but I only have 60 mythril and I need to stay strong for the XIV banner.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DU33 is now on the spreadsheet. Hopefully we're getting Mind Break(down) at some point, as FF5's Halicarnassus implies its existence.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

Hopefully we're getting Mind Break(down) at some point, as FF5's Halicarnassus implies its existence.

It was with the Ultima Weapon event, which ran around the same time as the Gold Knights orbfest in Japan. They'd already had it by now, but we're getting it next week, potentially with that event as well. Hopefully so, since it gives us another non-terrible 5* Summon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Celerity, Bard, and any new skillsets added post-Machinist have just kind of been :effort: in general, honestly. Darkness keeps rehashing the doom timer gimmick at this point, Sharpshooter might as well be named "Super Soaker" with how determined it is to be nothing more than a high-powered squirt gun, and Witch... Witch is just sort of a mess, reminding me of that one ancient forum post equating #-of-hits directly to the actual worth of a SB. They're weaker than -ajas at 5* and weaker than -agas at 4*, but they're multi-hit! As if that influences anything. Sure we're getting more stacking Faith effects, but we need those Faith effects to stay competitive with how quickly boss RES ramps up. More hits doesn't matter unless you're leaning towards a damage cap.

To be fair to the witch spells, you only need to get ~3400 damage per hit to outdamage the chain -gas with them, and that's not exactly difficult.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Edge (who is sadly bad unless you go really super heavy all in on a weird ninja Mage plan for him that is not worth what you'll spend on it)

Ninja mage is absolutely worth it. There are bosses -- event bosses, nothing gimmicky -- with nearly 10,000 Resistance. Edge can hit them for 20k damage at half cast time (without needing any quick cast shenanigans) with almost no buffing needed. And it's not like the investiture to make that happen for him is any more than what it would be to do the same with any other mage. Less, really, since you don't need massive stacking party buffs.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Man, gently caress the Curada Nightmare dungeon. By far the most annoying one so far, but its been scratched off my list. Thank you Penelo/OK for the hard carry for dps.

Only Affliction Break/Neo Bahamut left. Does Bahamut counter blm type bsb commands?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ninja spells have been bizarrely underrated since the start. It's true that they need a bit more investment than most skill schools (correct RM, hit a weakness, preferably have elemental boost), but drat if they're not strong when used correctly.

The upsides of piercing resistance, hitting AoE, having fast cast speed, and having a ton of uses per hone are a really nice combo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

It was with the Ultima Weapon event, which ran around the same time as the Gold Knights orbfest in Japan. They'd already had it by now, but we're getting it next week, potentially with that event as well. Hopefully so, since it gives us another non-terrible 5* Summon.

None of the 5* Summons are terrible, Odin's very outdated and not-recommended but that's it.

Also I wish they'd add more Ninja physical skills, they haven't got a new one since Doppelblade.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurai posted:

Ninja mage is absolutely worth it. There are bosses -- event bosses, nothing gimmicky -- with nearly 10,000 Resistance. Edge can hit them for 20k damage at half cast time (without needing any quick cast shenanigans) with almost no buffing needed. And it's not like the investiture to make that happen for him is any more than what it would be to do the same with any other mage. Less, really, since you don't need massive stacking party buffs.
You posted stuff about Edge in the last thread that I think should be in this thread too so here:

Zurai in the last FFRK thread posted:

Ninja magic soft caps at 370 Magic. Level 99 Edge has 149 to start with. 120 from a random mage thrower puts him at 269, 30 from an accessory yields 299, and 20 from armor yields 319. Fully diving him gives another 11 for 330. A single 30% buff puts him well over the cap from there with 429. BTW, Fujin only gets Ninja damage +6% from her record dive and gets no weakness damage. % damage and % weakness damage also apply multiplicatively, which puts a full dived Edge at +18.45% ninja damage vs weakness. Add to that the fact that you absolutely have to get Edge to 99 if you want to maximize your ninja magic anyway (he has the +40% ninja damage RM) and the facts kind of speak for themselves.

Edge can get 8600x2 double gust/blast damage against neutral enemies. Let me repeat that. Edge can deal 17,200 damage to every enemy in the game which doesn't resist wind or fire, with extremely fast cast speed, and without having to worry about the enemy's defense stats, en-element, or anything other than just casting his ability every turn of the fight. It's even easier against weakness or half-weakness, since you don't need elemental boost gear.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't want to hype it up too much because right now the only two-hit ninja spells are wind and fire, which does sort of restrict your options on some bosses. But ninja magic is extremely good when you're using it properly.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Koobes posted:

Does Bahamut counter blm type bsb commands?

It turns out yes...and OK bsb commands is a good way to get yourself 1 shot in phase 2 :smith:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

W.T. Fits posted:

Multiplayer is great. :buddy:

Two friends came over to coordinate a multiplayer team for dungeons tonight, and we figured we'd just take whatever random pubbie joined up with us and see how it went.

I want to thank whoever joined in and brought Faith for my Onion Knight, whose Swiftspells were doing 9999×4 through the entire second half of the fight against Titan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I just wish Edge had a MAG-based SB. Red Jacket is his best SB by far because unless you have a good mage thrower he's gonna end up lopsided in one stat or the other. And even then he won't be hitting softcap without two ATK buffs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So tonight I learned two things.

The first is that everyone has to start somewhere, and if you're only a few weeks into the game and casual as heck, 1 mythril for 1 stamina seems like a good deal. The second is that a well-buffed Maria with her BSB absolutely can carry a multiplayer team through U+ Titan, practically solo, even if two of the party members are capped at Lv50 and spend 90% of the fight eating dirt.

Hope you enjoy your 5* orbs, buddy. :unsmith:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Two friends came over to coordinate a multiplayer team for dungeons tonight, and we figured we'd just take whatever random pubbie joined up with us and see how it went.

I want to thank whoever joined in and brought Faith for my Onion Knight, whose Swiftspells were doing 9999×4 through the entire second half of the fight against Titan.

Nobody I know wants to play this game even though I have tons of JRPG friends :(

Also the people complaining about multiplayer scrubs obviously aren't being leaders and kicking people with whack abilities/SB/equipment that dont fit boss. I have only died twice since multiplayer started.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KataraniSword posted:

So tonight I learned two things.

The first is that everyone has to start somewhere, and if you're only a few weeks into the game and casual as heck, 1 mythril for 1 stamina seems like a good deal. The second is that a well-buffed Maria with her BSB absolutely can carry a multiplayer team through U+ Titan, practically solo, even if two of the party members are capped at Lv50 and spend 90% of the fight eating dirt.

Hope you enjoy your 5* orbs, buddy. :unsmith:

I carried some guy through the Orcatooth event today, it was actually pretty fun. He was level 40 and nobody else was joining him so I jumped in and he started it up right away. Wasn't sure how things would turn out when one of his characters got gibbed instantly and the other one was doing 1k damage with spells, but Ramza just chipped him to death and the dude kept spamming the thank you sticker.

Really hammers home just how big of a difference some levels and higher-tier skills can make.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looks like JP is getting a buff to Imperils: Imperils can now be stacked (so something like Freezing Barrage on top of Freezing Barrage), and you can have Imperils of different elements applied at once.

In other words, elemental teams are going to get really good.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

djfooboo posted:

Nobody I know wants to play this game even though I have tons of JRPG friends :(

Also the people complaining about multiplayer scrubs obviously aren't being leaders and kicking people with whack abilities/SB/equipment that dont fit boss. I have only died twice since multiplayer started.

A huge part of the fun of multiplayer is dragging scrubs over the finish line. God bless every Tyro that uses Celebration Grimoire when they also have Sentinels. You are my precious babies and I love you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like JP is getting a buff to Imperils: Imperils can now be stacked (so something like Freezing Barrage on top of Freezing Barrage), and you can have Imperils of different elements applied at once.

I love the imperil system, I think it was a really smart way to keep variety among teams and strategies.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 14, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hmm so like... Every time Balthier does his SSB the debuff gets higher and higher? Or does it have to be 2 different sources doing it (Like my balthier and another in Multiplayer)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Dang, 1/11 dupe pull on VI Banner 1. Oh well, that'll teach me to deviate from.the "hoarding for the best-of-the-best banners" strategy. :shobon:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh thank god. I always feel bad when I overwrite someone else's imperil in MP to a different element, so hopefully this will solve that problem. It also opens up a lot of my team options, as some characters synergize really well together but because their SSB/BSBs have conflicting imperils, someone's gotta stay home.

And it solves the problem of weaker imperils getting left in the dust when you upgrade to someone's stronger SB with the same imperil type (justice for Balthier).

Can't wait for them to release more info :shittydog: I really love the imperil system and elemental teams.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Every time I try to join a raid as a member I get dropped after battle is launched. Whee. Android bug or just me?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Pander posted:

Every time I try to join a raid as a member I get dropped after battle is launched. Whee. Android bug or just me?

That was happening to me on Android, clearing the app's cached data fixed it for some reason (and hugely sped up load times in general).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

That different imperils couldn't be stacked before always seemed weirdly restrictive. They could've made a SSB or BSB that applied multiple imperils, or even one that just imperils the target to all elements (though maybe it doesn't do much/any damage as a result) but maybe we'll see multi-imperils after this change happens.

Maybe the down arrow in the imperil icon can change color based on the element it's affecting. Though things like Water/Ice could be annoying to differentiate I suppose.

Now they just need to make it so weaker buffs/debuffs don't overwrite stronger ones. Stop using Full Break when I just hit the boss with Noel's BSB you multiplayer shits. :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh wow, Atomos was really easy. Managed to get Champion despite the fact that Dismissal didn't proc a single interrupt.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I struggled with atoramos until someone in discord mentioned slow. I forgot that was a possibility. After rejiggering things slightly it was a cakewalk.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

RWs aren't affected by buffs. The only way to affect their damage is via rows, or with RMs that don't affect the ATK stat. So Pride of the Red Wings should boost damage if the RW character has a sword.

I finally decided to test this for myself using our new favorite sandbag, Atomos, and yeah. The difference between an Energy Rain with buffs and without was about 300 damage, which absolutely falls under random variance for OSBs.

I guess the "more damage" I was noticing in the past was either something weird going on with equipment or with damage-boost RMs. :shobon:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Just saw a table linked on Reddit with all of the Major Orbs we'll be needing for upcoming abilities. I'll be spending all my refreshes when we get to the dark orb phase. :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Edly posted:

That was happening to me on Android, clearing the app's cached data fixed it for some reason (and hugely sped up load times in general).

It was, uh, 2.5gb.

Now its 44kb.

Maybe that'll help.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Time for some Amandine soloing. 140 difficulty is down, now for 160. I'm hoping to coast by on Magic Blink here.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

It turns out, gently caress bringing 5 summoners to the summoner fight, just bring 2 with Rydia BSB to support them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Koobes posted:

It turns out, gently caress bringing 5 summoners to the summoner fight, just bring 2 with Rydia BSB to support them.

I'll keep this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I just honed all the relevant summons. Ifrit and shiva to r5, leviathan, ixion and alexander to r4. Bahamut r2. Now I never have to worry about magic aoe, and it's been super helpful in the past.

• Locked thread