Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

jpparker55 posted:

Maybe I didn't and that would explain how I got myself into that situation.

There's an event that gives you a choice of +200 settlers in a new colony or +50 settlers in an existing one. If you pick the one that starts the new colony that would lead to you having more colonies than settlers and might explain how you got the extra colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alternatively if you're richer than god you can just send your colonist back and forth across multiple provinces and they'll all slowly grow but cost you like -100 ducats

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

In the early game I always humiliate. It used to stagnate where it's too much effort by the later game when your only rivals are like the commonwealth and ottomans, but with great powers passively giving PP and extra from privateering, I make sure to stay over 50 pretty much from start to finish now. +1 in every stat is worth going a little bit out of your way for, and then the other bonuses hardly hurt.

Yes, truly. +1 in every stat is giant.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
yeah, getting to 50+ pp is really important. i don't think that humiliation is that great, though - you can generally get similar amounts of PP by grabbing territory, and the fact that PP sources decay in parallel means that "+40 PP humiliation & +30 PP territory taken" is often worse than "+50 PP territory taken". (especially since PP becomes so much less important once you cross that wonderful 50 PP line.)

"strengthening yourself and weakening your rival" is also pretty important, so I'd pretty much only take humiliate is when I'm extremely worried about AE. (which does happen!)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 14, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still not sure what power projection does for me tbh

All you really need to care about is that you get +1 of each MP per month if you have above 50 PP. There are some other minor bonuses, but they pale in comparison.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just hit the 800 hour mark! My shameful confession is I usually play at speed 2 or 3. 4 very rarely. Don't think I have ever used 5. When nothing is going on in my country I like watching the other countries toodle about, and invent complex schemes. It takes me forever to play as game. If I do a full 1821 run I get one game a patch in, haha. Currently jumping in on Ottoman WC hotness.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I just hit the 800 hour mark! My shameful confession is I usually play at speed 2 or 3. 4 very rarely. Don't think I have ever used 5. When nothing is going on in my country I like watching the other countries toodle about, and invent complex schemes. It takes me forever to play as game. If I do a full 1821 run I get one game a patch in, haha. Currently jumping in on Ottoman WC hotness.

I don't like playing speed 5, but there are times when 4 is a little too slow. I wish 5 was halfway between current 5 and 4.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
game speed is based on how fast your computer can run the game so... get a slower processor! :pseudo:

PleasingFungus posted:

i don't think that humiliation is that great, though - you can generally get similar amounts of PP by grabbing territory, and the fact that PP sources decay in parallel means that "+40 PP humiliation & +30 PP territory taken" is often worse than "+50 PP territory taken".

huh, I guess I'll try that out next time, that makes a lot of sense.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I just hit the 800 hour mark! My shameful confession is I usually play at speed 2 or 3. 4 very rarely. Don't think I have ever used 5. When nothing is going on in my country I like watching the other countries toodle about, and invent complex schemes. It takes me forever to play as game. If I do a full 1821 run I get one game a patch in, haha.
I always play on slow, it's a sickness. I think I just enjoy the sensation of history washing over me. It would feel strange to speed past it. Yes I realize this is not normal.

I don't do that in Stellaris. EU is just my "take it slow" game for some weird reason.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

All you really need to care about is that you get +1 of each MP per month if you have above 50 PP. There are some other minor bonuses, but they pale in comparison.

I mean the +1 general slot is kind of like +1 MIL from a certain point of view (always have max generals, always have best generals, MP strats)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i'm speed 3 all the time. occasionally 2 or maybe even 1 if a war is stressing me out too much.

the only time i've gone up to 5 was in my recent native game when i had nothing to do for decades and it was driving me crazy

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always play EU4 on speed 1. There are always enough things to poke around at and think about while I'm waiting for the next bucket to fill up that going faster feels weird.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Speed 1? Jesus, it must take like 200 hours to finish a game.

I do speed 3, 2 in an intense war, and then 5 if I don't have anything to do (which is rare). I also pause a lot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How can you play on speed 1 :psyduck: What are you actually poking around at for that long?

I'm on 5 all the time except at war when I drop to 4 or occasionally 3 if poo poo is getting real. 4 during peace only if I'm timing something down to the day because I physically can't mash my spacebar fast enough to advance a day at a time at speed 5.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koramei posted:

Speed 1? Jesus, it must take like 200 hours to finish a game.

I do speed 3, 2 in an intense war, and then 5 if I don't have anything to do (which is rare). I also pause a lot.

It takes me around 40 hours to get to 1600 by which time I'll lose interest in the country and restart another. My rule is to never pause unless I'm trying to time precise army movements during a war.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I play at speed 5 all the time. This may actually mean I'm not aggressive enough.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I play on speed 3 all the time, mostly because I also like watching events unfold in other countries.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
:lol:

You guys are weird. Hell, there are times I'd push the speed beyond 5 to 6 or 7 or 8(!).

5 is too slow sometimes.

EDIT: It's a turn based game with variable length turns. Faster turn processing is always welcome.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 14, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So...something weird happened, but maybe I am missing something. Punjab is my vassal and the last Delhi province defected to Punjab (28 development =+56 liberty desire, ffs, but anyway) and for some reason Delhi's march, Jangledesh, is now my march...they are at 100% liberty desire because I "enforced their religion" even though they just became my march. Wtf....

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

:lol:

You guys are weird. Hell, there are times I'd push the speed beyond 5 to 6 or 7 or 8(!).

5 is too slow sometimes.

EDIT: It's a turn based game with variable length turns. Faster turn processing is always welcome.
Have you ever cranked it to 11?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the proposed new systems; they sound really interesting without being too complicated to manage, and the bonuses are nice boosts but not game-breaking boons so you won't need to optimize around the new system

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

Not to be a broken record but I love how the first Age is basically pointless for non Europe

It's not, though. Most of the benefits of the first age are generic enough to be beneficial to anyone, and most of the objectives of the first Age are easily achieved by tags outside of Europe

Capital in old world, discover Americas -- Anyone not in the Americas can achieve this, even land-locked starts can pick up a little coastline and get an explorer out there before the Age of Discovery ends albeit that's probably not worth doing. Still really easy for eastern Asia, Pacific islanders, everyone in Africa near coastline, etc

Own Territory on two continents -- Any nation that naturally straddles two continents gets this one for free, otherwise you just need to conquer into or colonize some other continent. Australia and North America are easy picks for anyone in the western Pacific, and Africa is within spitting distance of South America.

Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces -- lol if you're not already doing this in non-European starts

Own a 30+ development city -- Thanks to institution seeding you're very likely to achieve this no matter where in the world you are, less relevant for the AI

Own 5 Centers of Trade -- This is really more a function of size than anything else. I wonder if having a CN counts for this?

Have at least 2 personal unions -- This one really favors Europe, since only Christians get PUs, and I feel like it's completely out of place since PUs are so luck-based. Still, you could hypothetically get this as a Coptic nation like Ethiopia, still weird though

Humiliate a Rival -- Literally anyone can get this

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I assumed the two personal unions thing was almost solely for Austria to make up for their inability to colonise while cementing their place as a major power of the era. With you on the 5 CoTs though, that makes no sense whatsoever if it doesn't include CNs. Only place that's realistically possible without a CN is, what, southern India? :shrug: Guess it's far from finalised, though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

I assumed the two personal unions thing was almost solely for Austria to make up for their inability to colonise while cementing their place as a major power of the era. With you on the 5 CoTs though, that makes no sense whatsoever if it doesn't include CNs. Only place that's realistically possible without a CN is, what, southern India? :shrug: Guess it's far from finalised, though
Yeah 5 CoTs seems tailored for not-Europe... there isn't anyone in Europe who could easily or reliably get 5 CoTs. I think if the Ottomans get Caffa and Dubrovnik while eating the Mamluks they could have it, but, uh, they are the Ottomans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

It's not, though. Most of the benefits of the first age are generic enough to be beneficial to anyone, and most of the objectives of the first Age are easily achieved by tags outside of Europe

Capital in old world, discover Americas -- Anyone not in the Americas can achieve this, even land-locked starts can pick up a little coastline and get an explorer out there before the Age of Discovery ends albeit that's probably not worth doing. Still really easy for eastern Asia, Pacific islanders, everyone in Africa near coastline, etc

Own Territory on two continents -- Any nation that naturally straddles two continents gets this one for free, otherwise you just need to conquer into or colonize some other continent. Australia and North America are easy picks for anyone in the western Pacific, and Africa is within spitting distance of South America.

Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces -- lol if you're not already doing this in non-European starts

Own a 30+ development city -- Thanks to institution seeding you're very likely to achieve this no matter where in the world you are, less relevant for the AI

Own 5 Centers of Trade -- This is really more a function of size than anything else. I wonder if having a CN counts for this?

Have at least 2 personal unions -- This one really favors Europe, since only Christians get PUs, and I feel like it's completely out of place since PUs are so luck-based. Still, you could hypothetically get this as a Coptic nation like Ethiopia, still weird though

Humiliate a Rival -- Literally anyone can get this

Oh, for some reason I thought that only the first country in the world gets that bonus. That makes more sense, I guess.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yo gently caress you vassal. Don't insta-cave to rebels because they took 4 non-fort provinces and give 10 cores back to the goddamn egyptians.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Also Humanist policy is goddamn amazing. 135% religious unity, 2 out of 20 provinces are true faith.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Humanist is cool but definitely a luxury idea group.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

Humanist is cool but definitely a luxury idea group.
Yeah I used to swear by it but in my most recent Ottoman game I went Admin first and boy howdy am I steamrolling faster than ever. I have to put down one revolt per chunk of territory that I take, but my Space Marine Janissary Infantry can beat rebel stacks twice their size. With Mecca, Jerusalem, Defender of the Faith, and high piety I can convert anything and everything in short order Though I have not been able to keep up with my rate of conquest :ssh:.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Not sure Humanist is still worth it over Religious either, getting a 75% AE CB on everyone of a different religion is just too good.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I used to swear by it but in my most recent Ottoman game I went Admin first and boy howdy am I steamrolling faster than ever. I have to put down one revolt per chunk of territory that I take, but my Space Marine Janissary Infantry can beat rebel stacks twice their size. With Mecca, Jerusalem, Defender of the Faith, and high piety I can convert anything and everything in short order Though I have not been able to keep up with my rate of conquest :ssh:.

That just means you need to conquer Rome too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Not sure Humanist is still worth it over Religious either, getting a 75% AE CB on everyone of a different religion is just too good.

Yeah, every time I think of taking Humanist, I think about what I'm giving up for it. Either Deus Vult or the admin core cost reduction are just too good. I guess the +30% Improved Relations can help if you're regularly hitting the AE wall.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

That just means you need to conquer Rome too
Well poo poo, I have a new goal.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, every time I think of taking Humanist, I think about what I'm giving up for it. Either Deus Vult or the admin core cost reduction are just too good. I guess the +30% Improved Relations can help if you're regularly hitting the AE wall.
I am steamrolling through the middle East and Africa but have not been able to touch Europe because of horrible webs of alliances, so AE has not been the usual problem it has been like in past Ottoman games. I managed to get into a war vs just Spain and Portugal by using Enforce Peace to join Morocco's defense vs the Iberian heathens; the peace deal that the AI signed hosed with some of their alliances and released Galicia, so I am considering No-CB'ing Galicia to get at Spain to break their alliances with everyone, so then I can attack other people. tl;dr I am really glad I took Admin

Spain's navies are a huge bitch to fight because they have like 50 Heavies (in 1580) and they all fight 10% better :gonk:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to prod a vassal to fabricate claims on a country? Playing as Ottomans, fully-formed Persia is my vassal. It's gonna take decades to annex them and in the meantime I'd like to continue expanding past them into India, but I can't get a CB on the guys on the other side of them. Do I just have to hope Persia will fabricate claims or is there something I can do?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
You can set the provinces as vital interest, that might prod them into making claims.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Well poo poo, I have a new goal.

I am steamrolling through the middle East and Africa but have not been able to touch Europe because of horrible webs of alliances, so AE has not been the usual problem it has been like in past Ottoman games. I managed to get into a war vs just Spain and Portugal by using Enforce Peace to join Morocco's defense vs the Iberian heathens; the peace deal that the AI signed hosed with some of their alliances and released Galicia, so I am considering No-CB'ing Galicia to get at Spain to break their alliances with everyone, so then I can attack other people. tl;dr I am really glad I took Admin

Spain's navies are a huge bitch to fight because they have like 50 Heavies (in 1580) and they all fight 10% better :gonk:

I think the major downside for taking Admin as the Ottos is that it's eventually overkill thanks to admin efficiency. At ADM 23 you'll hit the coring cost reduction cap of 10%. At ADM 27 the bonus from Admin ideas becomes useless.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

+30% Improved Relations is nice and all but you could be getting -25% AE reduction by just using Deus Vult.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tendronai posted:

You can set the provinces as vital interest, that might prod them into making claims.

This worked, thanks.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the major downside for taking Admin as the Ottos is that it's eventually overkill thanks to admin efficiency. At ADM 23 you'll hit the coring cost reduction cap of 10%. At ADM 27 the bonus from Admin ideas becomes useless.

The amount of admin points you'd save until you hit ADM 27 is huge. But also important, and oft forgot, is the reduction in core times. I guess you could replace it at ADM 27, but until then, any sort of optimal play with the Ottos involves having Admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
By the time you hit tech 27 the game is pretty much over or in Victory Lap mode, anyway.

• Locked thread