Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm the student council president. You can't prove I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm the student council president. You can't prove I'm not.

Checks out.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Now that I think about it, I assumed "Mr. President" was a member of some other secret conspiratorial organization when that panel happened, but is the Student Council President seriously also the principal

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Poltergrift posted:

Now that I think about it, I assumed "Mr. President" was a member of some other secret conspiratorial organization when that panel happened, but is the Student Council President seriously also the principal
Nah, Pleezdoo's the Principal, even if she's far too nice a person to stand up to her own deputy.

Mr. President... well, at the time I'd assumed he was head of the board of governers or something. All we really know about him is that he likes waistcoats and ties.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It's Collin's twin, the boy that prefers ties.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The anime will never stop.

Alt text: can't wait to delve into each of these guys' individual backstories

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

This chapter will never end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 13, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my god

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So I doubt we're diving into the councilor-general arc of Paranatural, but I'm definitely expecting some of these jokers to start showing up in crowd scenes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't wait to be introduced to Punk Bard, Cyclops George Washington, Literal Space Marine, and a furry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking forward to World's Worst Tuba Player myself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these people are basically on the same level as isaac and ed's sidequest on the train

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Getting PTSD flashbacks to when I read Bleach

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like that anime is constantly occuring in Paranatural’s world, like some sort of Golden Rectangle.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tollymain posted:

these people are basically on the same level as isaac and ed's sidequest on the train

don't ruin my dreams you rascal

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tollymain posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Isaac is actually normal and it's Ed, Isabel, and Max who are actually the weird ones for regarding his anime-inspired lifestyle as unusual, and that's why he's so irritated all the time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Bully La Bully

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tenebrais posted:

The anime will never stop.

I see loving Deidara in there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I really hope Max has had enough of this melodrama and is finally ready to just force direct answers already, because goddamn. I appreciate this comic being anime as gently caress as the next person but the story really needs to be kicked right in the cock something fierce.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Going out on a limb here, but... does it? The current plot of the chapter is a rogue spirit with no stated motive or connection to other characters being up to something. It feels very monster-of-the-week and really looks to me like it's just an excuse to explore more of the school setting and break up the pacing before the real plot winds up again with all the various spirit factions and stuff. I don't think it actually matters how quickly they catch Hijack.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If Max dick-punches his way through the Gordian knot of middleschool anime to get to whatever's important to the larger, even more anime plot of spirits and ghosts then sure, Parody Achieved. Isaac's Mostly Offscreen Anime Train Adventure is a good example, but then again the Half-Year Of Unironic Hitball leaned in the other direction, so I guess we'll see whether we get Literal Space Marine's backstory or Max just plows through him at some point.

If you Capitalize Clusters Of Words they have More Meaning.

I'm also starting to wonder if spirits and ghosts are even that weird, given the setting. Violet, for example, seems so done with everything that if Max told her "By the way I'm in the ghost-fighting club" she'd just shrug it off, and Lisa might as well be a supernatural being already. It sort of diminishes the contrast if both sides of the story are equally cartoonish and absurd.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tenebrais posted:

Going out on a limb here, but... does it? The current plot of the chapter is a rogue spirit with no stated motive or connection to other characters being up to something. It feels very monster-of-the-week and really looks to me like it's just an excuse to explore more of the school setting and break up the pacing before the real plot winds up again with all the various spirit factions and stuff. I don't think it actually matters how quickly they catch Hijack.

Pacing hasn't been broken up, it's been pulverized, atomized. At this point I check Paranatural for the same reason I check Strong Female Protagonist and that's because it's a trainwreck.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
two weeks until this chapter's first birthday

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

two weeks until this chapter's first birthday

It started Dec 30 2014

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
This is a funny comic.

I have no clue what's going on.

I think there are some serious pacing issues.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Comic is good again.

This should've been split into two chapters though, single sequence be damned.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Calaveron posted:

Pacing hasn't been broken up, it's been pulverized, atomized. At this point I check Paranatural for the same reason I check Strong Female Protagonist and that's because it's a trainwreck.

Um. I think that's a little much.

Pacing issues aside, it isn't doing what SFP did.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Calaveron posted:

who cares

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

these good funny jokes and good funny characters....... let it be known i'm only reading this good funny comic to see if they've gotten to the fireworks factory yet

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oddium posted:

these good funny jokes and good funny characters....... let it be known i'm only reading this good funny comic to see if they've gotten to the fireworks factory yet

I dunno sometimes the funny jokes start to feel like they're the same joke coming out of every characters mouth.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Maybe this take is kind of hot but I didn't really think this page was that funny or good

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well after the 8 month arc that existed solely for the purpose "lol anime" and did not advance the story in any significant way, I have to say I am feeling a bit tired of it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno sometimes the funny jokes start to feel like they're the same joke coming out of every characters mouth.

It feels like every character in the comic has exactly two character traits and one is reserved for snark.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetracube posted:

Well after the 8 month arc that existed solely for the purpose "lol anime" and did not advance the story in any significant way, I have to say I am feeling a bit tired of it

so's the protagonist

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wrist Watch posted:

It feels like every character in the comic has exactly two character traits and one is reserved for snark.

no, the adults are not allowed to be snarky.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Dolash posted:

It sort of diminishes the contrast if both sides of the story are equally cartoonish and absurd.

This is a really good point. Granted, the human world in Paranatural was always just as absurd. It feels like it's been taken up to eleven lately, though.

Wrist Watch posted:

It feels like every character has the same 'voice' at this point, especially since we've really only seen snark and lolwacky faces for a while.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I propose that we ban the word "anime" in this thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bongo Bill posted:

I propose that we ban "anime"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hmm yes, Paranatural IS blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

This is a really good point. Granted, the human world in Paranatural was always just as absurd. It feels like it's been taken up to eleven lately, though.

It feels like every character has the same 'voice' at this point, especially since we've really only seen snark and lolwacky faces for a while.

It's one thing if there's a goofy teacher who hands out stars, and Johnny is a top-tier goof but he's getting drawn into the ghost plot too. There was a scene early on though where once Max could see spirits he walked through some kind of coral reef spirit thing holding his arms up only to realize that the normal students couldn't tell what he was doing and he became embarrassed. Stuff like that's important to maintaining some perspective, the comic hasn't given up on taking actual dramatic turns and that requires a bit of grounding.

There's another problem with the constant anime send-up that this page is another example of that eventually doing too deep into irony or parody will just turn you into that thing. It is okay to like anime and take some inspiration from it (hot take), and Isaac as the middle-schooler who likes anime too much and partly uses his ghost powers to live out that fantasy is a solid premise and good comedy. The whole hitball arc really was just anime though, and if the whole school's going to be like that then Isaac isn't an oddity and it narrows the gap between the two worlds. It lessens the threat of Suzy or Johnny's gang revealing them.

This isn't the end of the world, and it's not unrecoverable either. Webcomics tend to evolve quite a bit over time and can go through different phases, each update can still be fun even if taking a step back the pacing and other larger-scale issues are messy. Still, I think this might be another case (*cough Homestuck cough*) where an editor and more long-term planning might've helped smooth out some issues.