Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Perhaps it's more about setting a better example for young people (like kids on high school baseball teams) than about any specific appeal to women or any subset of potential fans. The same could be said for the ban on chewing tobacco.

This is a good point. While it may be funny to see grown men in princess outfits youth hazing can really easily runaway into emotionally and physically dangerous avenues. For real it's a step in the right direction.

Industrials is probably the least terrible option there, even if the dog taking an AB with a guitar is pretty :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RC and Moon Pie posted:

No love for Naps.

I refuse to consider any of these.

Here I've drawn Napoleon as Wahoo. I have the new logo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I vote for Cleveland Rocks

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I saw a dead rat in Cleveland

Dead Rats could be a name

Also I bought a Chief Wahoo hat but mainly because I love Major League :shobon:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soul Glo posted:

Change team name to Jobus, offend entirely different minority group. When they protest, move onto to offending the Dutch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

This is a good point. While it may be funny to see grown men in princess outfits youth hazing can really easily runaway into emotionally and physically dangerous avenues. For real it's a step in the right direction.

This is the whole problem genius. The fact that it is apparently funny merely for a man to dress like a woman does is the whole entire point. The whole behavior indicates an attitude that womanhood is fundamentally funny and demeaning, and in some way embarrassingly inferior to manhood.

which is why:

bewbies posted:

I asked a half a dozen women who are parts of my life for various reasons, all of whom are both educated and ranging from very to extremely liberal, if they found the hazing pics posted in this thread thus far offensive. 3 of the six had no opinion and 3 of the 6 found it funny.

I realize this anecdotal and I have no strong opinion about this one way or another but I'm kind of wondering who the target offended audience is.

Also they still use a racist caricature for a team logo thats cool.

is a dumb way to determine "is this offensive" because there's not a "target offended audience" (believe it or not, people don't just go around seeking offense). It's offensive because it places an entire class of human beings as inferior to another and reinforces that negative cultural stereotype.

And before anyone goes "but why are drag queens ok then", it's because drag is an art form that has a long history of mocking cultural stereotypes about gender and hazing has a long tradition of reinforcing bad cultural norms through lovely behavior.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Rand alPaul posted:

My favorite Kevin Youkilis moment was his BBREF url.

Lol I forgot about that

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

...it is apparently funny merely for a man to dress like a woman...

It isn't, because that doesn't really even mean anything in the modern world. However, it is moderately amusing for a man to be dressed like a princess specifically and not in a particularly awful way because no one actually dresses like princesses.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
If the WNBA rookies were hazed by drawing on fake beards and wearing mens clothing, would that be offensive too?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Please don't do this.
Pretty please?

Can't we just talk actual baseball and all get along?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

How about no team name. Just...Cleveland.
Cleveland American Baseball Club or the Cleveland ABC's

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought I blotted out Kevin Youkilis's time as a Yankee from memory, this thread has brought it back

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the fuckin' spiders, chumps

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

If the WNBA rookies were hazed by drawing on fake beards and wearing mens clothing, would that be offensive too?

If men were treated throughout society as worse than women, yes. Cool how hypotheticals are worthless for describing the real world.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Cleveland Factories of Sadness

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

Here I've drawn Napoleon as Wahoo. I have the new logo.

This doesn't look anything like Nap Lajoie :colbert: Even if he was the original Frenchie (except really good at baseball)

I think explaining to everyone why they were called the Naps is the main reason that name is out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
They should be called the Cleveland Spiderstockings and I'll hear of nothing else. Spisox for world series 2019.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have consulted with the developers of Mutant League Football and they told me the Indians should be renamed the Toxic All-Pros or the Sixty Whiners.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Weren't one of the iterations of the Spiders the worst team that ever took a professional baseball field?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I vote for Cleveland Fuckin' Spiders.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Your Taint posted:

Weren't one of the iterations of the Spiders the worst team that ever took a professional baseball field?

Yeah, but that was the all the Cardinals fault. No really

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I thought it was the Yankees fault. Like the owner owned both teams and kept funneling anyone good to the Yankees

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Call them the Cleveland Fire and have the logo be that time the river was burning.

Or just call them the LeBrons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just go with the Spiders

its not that hard

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah this isn't complicated. It was the name of Cy Young's team for gently caress's sake, embrace the 19th century name!

Intruder posted:

I thought it was the Yankees fault. Like the owner owned both teams and kept funneling anyone good to the Yankees
That was the situation, but with the St. Louis Browns, not the Yankees. They went 20-134, including 101 road losses and only played 8 home games after July 1st. The team was disbanded after the season, along with 3 others and the NL contracted to the "original 8"

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Poochie the Rockin' Dog for the face of the franchise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yasiel Puig convinced Turner and Jansen to return to the Dodgers at Jansen's wedding last weekend.

Not really, but Jansen's agent did say that being with his family and Dodgers teammates for his wedding helped him decide that he wanted to stay in LA no matter what.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Puig indeed your friend

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

GeneX posted:

Puig indeed your friend

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very curious how dodger management will spin this into a reason to bench and/or send Puig to the minors for this.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Very curious how dodger management will spin this into a reason to bench and/or send Puig to the minors for this.

You can't have got headed Cuban players meddling in front office negotiations! Sure it may have worked out this time...

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Intruder posted:

Lol I forgot about that

I must have missed this, I just looked on my phone and didn't notice anything weird. What was it?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
You know how if a player wants to change their number midseason they have to buy back all existing stock of their old jersey and merchandise beforehand

Maybe the Indians will change their team name right after a motivated group agrees to buy up all current Indians merchandise and pays for all the needed work to transition the club to its new identity

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Call them the Cleveland Fire and have the logo be that time the river was burning.

Or just call them the LeBrons.

The Cleveland Decision

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just go with the Spiders

its not that hard

seriously, regardless of whatever stereotype icon you use or stupid name they have, you'd have to be loving insane to consider Indians being a cooler team concept than motherfucking spiders

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Clev3-1and

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I fixed Wahoo long ago

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GeneX posted:

Puig indeed your friend

#puigyourgm

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

coupbrick posted:

I fixed Wahoo long ago

:smugdog:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Soul Glo posted:

There are entirely way more stray cats than rats in Cleveland, Cleveland Cats it is. I like never ever saw a rat there, probably because of the cats.

Like the only name that's any good on the Scene cover is the Spiders, the others are just too clunky. Some better names (these aren't funny because I am not a funny person):

Cuyahoga Clevelanders - Kind of like the Houston Texans only harder to spell

Cleveland Lake Surfers - Yes, you can surf on Lake Erie

Cleveland Buckeyes - You know, just to try and hop on the only really successful team in the state

Cleveland Hoggees - These are mules that pulled canal boats up the river, and sure as poo poo no one else has that name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Seriously, that "C" logo with the web is genius

• Locked thread