Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Caseface: you got any setups for that Audi? I may try and do a full season of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

I drive a BBW posted:

Caseface: you got any setups for that Audi? I may try and do a full season of that.

Yeah, I'll post tonight when I get home. Check VRS, Rens might have posted a data pack today. I've got a set from Jon Hall last season and a recent set from Josh Anderson, very different styles. I might be able to do my own set and throw together a video tonight or tomorrow, but I'll link the setups tonight for sure.

Old Binsby posted:

The audi's great but I'm missing downshifts by the dozen. Guess I just need to be more patient.

Patience and smoothness is key with downshifts, I rushed a few in my videos and it really bites you in the rear end when that happens. Make sure you release the gas all the way, it seems more prone to miss the shift when you aren't completely off the gas.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 13, 2016

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Science Goy posted:

Yeah, I'll post tonight when I get home. Check VRS, Rens might have posted a data pack today. I've got a set from Jon Hall last season and a recent set from Josh Anderson, very different styles. I might be able to do my own set and throw together a video tonight or tomorrow, but I'll link the setups tonight for sure.

You going to be on tonight at all to practice? If so what time?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I drive a BBW posted:

You going to be on tonight at all to practice? If so what time?

Not much tonight - if I can do anything, it'll be around 8 Central. Tomorrow, hopefully I can do a few hours since it's too cold to snowboard all evening.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The dirt build up on the visors is pretty awesome in the rift. it puts the dirt layer a couple inches in front of your face.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Oh man how do you deal with all the funny noises the Audi makes, that is so distracting

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

Oh man how do you deal with all the funny noises the Audi makes, that is so distracting

The noises are glorious, and not nearly as distracting as the burbles that the Nissan makes (which are also glorious)

Audi setups!
John Hall set from 16s4, I tweaked it slightly but not much

Josh Anderson setup-in-progress from yesterday, I moved brake bias back slightly

Race fuel is 20 gallons or a bit more.

These setups are very different, and I was able to get decent times with both. I want to start with Josh's setup from yesterday, maybe soften the springs a touch, move brake bias back even further, and compare his diff settings to ones used by Rens last season. Based on some Nissan comments, the diff may need more locking for Daytona than other tracks, because the bus stop is an rear end in a top hat that likes to be terrible while using setups that are good on the infield.

EDIT:

first pass on my setup

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 14, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lord Crapulus posted:

That's half the fun!

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
You need your ears checked. The Audi makes the best noises.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Fuzz_83 posted:

Larry that is Tim's... Helicon One. I think he made it in GIMP.
You can't download the files from Trading Paints, but I'm curious if Tim can make and/or send the file.

Um, yeah, hi. Give me a minute and I'll put the original GIMP file somewhere it can be shared.

E; here you go http://www.filedropper.com/mercgooncarteam

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 14, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

L_Harrison posted:

You need your ears checked. The Audi makes the best noises.

Yup. Not that I think the sounds in iRacing are lacking on pretty much any car lately, but the Audi sounds loving glorious. It's so loving fun in spite of / because of the fact that it never wants to go straight.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

The dirt build up on the visors is pretty awesome in the rift. it puts the dirt layer a couple inches in front of your face.

I only just noticed this, but yeah. Gonna be pretty intense driving long distance if casefaces windscreen in his Kamel video is anything to go by. Skippy races are a little too short to get a strong effect but it's definitely there. I'm too lazy to check, but is the helmet visor tearable mid-race? Might need to bind a button for that in longer renault/mazda/prototype races.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes you can set a button and tear it away mid race. I don't know if it is limited or anything. I've only done practice so far.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helmet visors can even be set to automatically tear off when they get too dirty! I mapped it to a button on my wheel... kinda want to try mapping it to the gas pedal so it constantly tears off the infinite visors.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. Not that I think the sounds in iRacing are lacking on pretty much any car lately, but the Audi sounds loving glorious. It's so loving fun in spite of / because of the fact that it never wants to go straight.

The Audi is stubbornly trying to go straight every time you want to go around a corner - understeer for days - but it does love to dart around when you are on a straightaway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, you just throw it in the corner hard enough that the back end tries to come around, then you pin the throttle and let Quattro drag you back out.

I totally did this on purpose as an awesome accident for turn one at Daytona a few times last season.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I was not expecting a mid-week BSS race with an SOF of 4316. That was pretty intense.

e: I guess looking at the results that's not really that unusual. I didn't think the competition was going to be similar to iGPS, figured it would be more like Skippy since the participation numbers are similar, guess I was wrong!

e2: I did the one hosted race with a pitstop, and 3 official races so far at Brands Hatch. I am JUST NOW realizing that you can go straight on pit entry and that you don't have to take the little chicane :v:

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 15, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Just like real-life scrub drivers, I got shuffled to another team already for Kamel. I guess they wanted 2 teams of three drivers instead of six drivers on one GTO development team, and the Bill McDill livery sucked anyway, so now on to Ferrari France!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Those wheels!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

drat right, best car in iRacing.

Have another video, because Kamel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3D2DhhQnT4

I should have muted that Nissan kid much sooner, but he stopped talking every time I reached for the "mute driver" button.

My SR is going to tank so bad from this track - I definitely will need to do some Skip or BES to bring it back up a bit.

I laughed when you fudged your shift pretty bad in the infield road course portion, "second, clutch in, shift, gently caress, clutch in, shift, gently caress, clutch in, third, and go."

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I wish I recorded the start of the broadcast Road America race - started on the front row, started in 2nd year so I couldn't gently caress up the shift to 2nd, promptly hosed up the shift to 3rd, nearly got taken out before the start line because I was basically a rolling roadblock until it got into gear

E: PSA: come drive Audis with me and blk96 tonight, let's throw down and see who can get the most 1x's at the bus stop

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 15, 2016

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Science Goy posted:

I wish I recorded the start of the broadcast Road America race - started on the front row, started in 2nd year so I couldn't gently caress up the shift to 2nd, promptly hosed up the shift to 3rd, nearly got taken out before the start line because I was basically a rolling roadblock until it got into gear

E: PSA: come drive Audis with me and blk96 tonight, let's throw down and see who can get the most 1x's at the bus stop

What time are you getting on?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I drive a BBW posted:

What time are you getting on?

Hopefully around 7pm central, give or take.

E: might try to get online earlier, then run the 7pm race (last season's broadcast time slot)

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I've been running into a frustrating problem recently, where my G29 wheel's force feedback stops working prior to a practice or race and its been driving me nuts. It seems to always happen if I minimize iRacing, but its also been happening randomly when I don't, and I'm not sure whats causing it. It drives me nuts because I can't just reload the client right before a race. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Got run over by an ~Iberian~ twice in another high SoF BSS race, wound up finishing right behind him in 3rd, and I was all ready to be all pissed off...but then he was super apologetic after the race and I couldn't stay mad. I must be going soft in my old age.

My SR wasn't wild about it, but it put my iR over 6k for the first time (and a new high score for a race)! :dance:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hang the helmet old man. You are losing your edge.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Are there any planned goon car related things over Christmas? I'm back in Scotland then and I really want to loving race some race cars

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

Are there any planned goon car related things over Christmas? I'm back in Scotland then and I really want to loving race some race cars

I'm up for stuff over Christmas, I'm at home until the 30th so anything in the evenings uk time up to then works for me. Happy to host some stuff if needs be (or chip in some iracing credits to others?)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Supersonic posted:

I've been running into a frustrating problem recently, where my G29 wheel's force feedback stops working prior to a practice or race and its been driving me nuts. It seems to always happen if I minimize iRacing, but its also been happening randomly when I don't, and I'm not sure whats causing it. It drives me nuts because I can't just reload the client right before a race. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Always make sure the logitech profiler is running before playing and it's the latest and greatest version. I had some issues with my G27 when that wasn't booted up. Minimizing iRacing just fucks up everything for me with Windows 10 (task bar won't hide after that and it puts iRacing into a large rear end window, etc) so I just don't do it anymore unless I plan on quitting out of the session and going back in.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Minimizing iRacing just fucks up everything for me with Windows 10 (task bar won't hide after that and it puts iRacing into a large rear end window, etc)

Alt-Enter will put iRacing back into full screen mode, and un-fucks things when you alt-tab with Windows 10

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

Alt-Enter will put iRacing back into full screen mode, and un-fucks things when you alt-tab with Windows 10

Holy poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Alt-enter has been around for several years.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Never had this problem with Windows 7 so I never needed to care.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

What happened? I switched from an old 46" LCD TV to a Vive at the end of last season. Best thing I could've ever gotten, it totally changes the immersion experience for me. Being able to turn my head even slightly makes a huge difference, and it feels much more like driving a car than using monitors.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Are we doing anything for Gooncar this evening?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

iRacing is down so the test site is back up (or was). I don't own the Audi so I wanted to see what the hubub was with it. I thought I was bad at cars before driving it, and holy poo poo am I even more terrible driving that. The shifts on it are unforgiving, downshifts especially, with my admittedly worn G27 shifter. It's all over the drat road, but at least it looks like the setup options that may help that are pretty simple. Tried taking some toe away and then it was just understeery.

It'll be amazing on dirt (since it feels like it's on dirt while on the road anyway :v:) so I'll probably wait for that, even though it makes all the right noises. :allears:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Larrymer posted:

iRacing is down so the test site is back up (or was). I don't own the Audi so I wanted to see what the hubub was with it. I thought I was bad at cars before driving it, and holy poo poo am I even more terrible driving that. The shifts on it are unforgiving, downshifts especially, with my admittedly worn G27 shifter. It's all over the drat road, but at least it looks like the setup options that may help that are pretty simple. Tried taking some toe away and then it was just understeery.

It'll be amazing on dirt (since it feels like it's on dirt while on the road anyway :v:) so I'll probably wait for that, even though it makes all the right noises. :allears:

It is pretty amazing. The in car adjustable rear arb also helps but I believe the audi is just understeery in general. Try the nissan too, it's way faster through corners and a lot of fun, also doesn't give you as hard a time shifting because you can just lift instead of clutch

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Old Binsby posted:

It is pretty amazing. The in car adjustable rear arb also helps but I believe the audi is just understeery in general. Try the nissan too, it's way faster through corners and a lot of fun, also doesn't give you as hard a time shifting because you can just lift instead of clutch

I just turned on auto blip because I don't have the time or enthusiasm to learn how to shift it and am prepared to be ultimately slower as a result.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I watched Caseface and Ohsh race in Kamel for a bit, that was a great illustration of why to not race in unsplit multiclass right there. A div 8 Italian in a faster car that has to come through the slower class, what could possibly go wrong?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
the joys of multiclass, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

I watched Caseface and Ohsh race in Kamel for a bit, that was a great illustration of why to not race in unsplit multiclass right there. A div 8 Italian in a faster car that has to come through the slower class, what could possibly go wrong?

You know the worst part of that? He was in division 8. That means there are two full divisions of drivers who are even worse.

Maybe if we got more drivers, the race would split. You could have done your part to help make the race split Crappy.