Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

It looks like there was a significant crowd there -- was Iceland like that in all the "must see" places? I was under the impression there wasn't usually many people around.

It was pretty busy for the most part, any major landmark had a constant stream of tour buses coming and going. I was there at the start of September so not quite off season yet. There was still some non touristy areas if you were prepared to go off the beaten track a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Penney's Sidestreet - Cork by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Too Far Gone by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Saas Fee by Tom Olson, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GREY5003
by Jim, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Saas-Grund by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lake Waikaremoana by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

Ben Loman 2 by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I'm going to have to stop commenting on how much I like these because it's making GBS threads up the thread.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

*squint*
*squint*

oh, I see it!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

IMG_9618 by S M, on Flickr

ape
Jul 20, 2009

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those look like big, strong hands. Don't they?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

I'm going to have to stop commenting on how much I like these because it's making GBS threads up the thread.

Thanks! & gently caress anyone who says complimenting my photographs is threadshitting :)

Geneve by Tom Olson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 9, 2016

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

RangerScum posted:

Thanks! & gently caress anyone who says complimenting my photographs is threadshitting :)

My work colleagues and I habitually spend 5-10 mins a day admiring your latest additions.
Then another 5-10 minutes discussing how terrible our attempts at imitating them are. Any advice?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Rebus posted:

My work colleagues and I habitually spend 5-10 mins a day admiring your latest additions.
Then another 5-10 minutes discussing how terrible our attempts at imitating them are. Any advice?

First off, thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them!

I'll post what I've said before since I don't have any new insight to add besides the fact that what I do doesn't work with every scene you come across at night. I had to develop an eye for them through trial and error. Also, taking the photos involves some guesswork since they always look mostly black on the LCD screen, but it's really not too hard to gauge once you've done it enough times. At this point in time I usually get the correct exposure on the first guess.

RangerScum posted:

Definitely use manual mode, checking exif I shot that at ISO 400, F13, for 1.6s. When I do night shots most of the time I shoot at ISO 400 and rarely expose for more than 2-3 seconds to keep my highlights from clipping. After that it's just about bringing out shadow detail and lowering color temp.

RangerScum posted:

I basically expose for the brightest light source in the photo so it isn't too bright, then I rely on the D800's monster sensor when I crank up shadows, add a little bit of clarity, drop the highlights a tad, and then finally lower contrast. Salt to taste & serve.

RangerScum posted:

Thanks guys. In an effort for transparency, here's the original shot:

and here is what I did to the photo:

All edits were done in Lightroom. I usually don't export a photo a bunch of times, but first I attempted to correct some rather annoying perspective problems I noticed after letting the photo sit around for a month. Then I got some feedback on the darkness levels and brightened it up a bit more.

This advice is for shooting on a digital camera- when taking the photo it's all about exposing for the average brightest parts of the scene and then relying on your sensor for pulling out shadow detail. It will probably take a bit of practice to learn the average exposure to aim for where you can pull down the extra bright highlights and boost the extra dark shadows to get the look that you want with your specific camera / sensor. To make this process easier for me, I try to take all my night shots with the same aperture / ISO (F13 / ISO 400) and that helps me ballpark my exposure times pretty accurately. You can't rely on your camera's light meter because it's always going to try to make the scene's average exposure too bright, which is going to result in totally blown highlights.

For ease of comparison, here's the finished shot again:

Kandy by Tom Olson, on Flickr

I hope that is helpful.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

2016-12-09_141810 by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rebus posted:

Shoot in live view only, ignore your histograms and exposure settings and just use the live view screen, but turn the screen brightness on the camera to max.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

❤️

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Yeah, this. Those are awesome.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Karl Barks