Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

at least he's not making his own language to code his own engine in

*eye twitch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cleared Cooler CA-2 :black101:

The CA-2 boss was much easier than the CA-1 boss, possibly because last time I had a rifle and this time I had a grenade launcher. It was...gruesome.

I also managed to play through the entire cooler up to the boss using nothing but scavenged Phaseroids. I didn't even reload, whenever I emptied one I just threw it away and pulled out a new one. I could have left behind my silenced Greaser and brought more loot out!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I beat Crypt of the Necrodancer with Cadence. :toot:

I wish you could save replays. And also that replays worked correctly, because when I went to view it it showed me dying in the third area even though I'd just won the game.

Dead Ringer is the hardest fight unspoiled (Necrodancer himself was way easier than I expected) but the biggest pain in the rear end once you understand the mechanics is King Konga. That fuckin' empty beat, man.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
King Konga is a real motherfucker, I agree. And yeah, Dead Ringer is a beast when you're playing unspoiled, because you barely have time to even notice that he's behaving differently before he starts charging at you like a maniac. I got completely owned like two beats into his second phase, the first time I fought him.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/808523056259993601

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/808523493994364928

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/808524809948774400

:getin:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yassss. Collapse that waveform.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

do u even parallel bro

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Checking in for Rogue Scholars 2016 with my first screenshot of Crawlsterfuck! Right now the only interactive part is the very basic movement system, but I've included a lot of old code from semi-related projects that should speed things along soon. Thought about using Unity for this project since I've been spending a lot of time learning it for 3D VR development, but C#/XNA is still my most familiar platform so I decided to use Monogame instead for cross-platform support. Heh, I decided to buy the sci-fi Onyx tileset anyways, having nice assets really helps me to stay motivated. My next steps are to include monsters with basic AI behaviors, and some random level generators. I'll probably have three main regions to this game:

• Habitat: Clusters of rooms and corridors at the top levels of the archaeological site. The waveform collapse code that was posted a few pages back looks really neat, I'll try using that to make this region. There will be lots of random furniture and features laying around this region, they might provide cover or other benefits to the player, especially during the cresendo events when the player needs to dig in and survive for a while.
  • Dig Site: Sprawling cave tunnels and caverns, possibly with lots of random cave-ins or debris flying around from the mayhem above. I'll probably create this region using a cellular automata function from one of my earlier projects.
  • Ruins: Haven't thought too much about this one yet, but I want it to be very dangerous and kind of weird. I think the normal game will end in the first level of this region, and going any further will be part of the optional end-game where you dive for the ultimate macguffin.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I beat an Angel of 100 game in DoomRL!

It was tedious as gently caress past level 60 or so, after that the only time my health dipped below 100% was when I decided to build a chainsword and hack my way through the last five levels. Should have built one earlier to help deal with ammo management, since my only nano pack went on armor.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Pathfinding for Tactical Corridor Assault is coming along nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUGoO6Z1xI

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hito posted:

I'm also going to :siren:unilaterally add another phase to the contest.:siren: Here how it works:

Can I enter this phase even though I didn't post in the initial ideas contest? It's given me An Idea and I've thrown together a basic structure in Unity that more or less works. (Until I add pathfinding tonight, at which point I suspect it'll stop working in short and spectacular order.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

I beat an Angel of 100 game in DoomRL!

It was tedious as gently caress past level 60 or so, after that the only time my health dipped below 100% was when I decided to build a chainsword and hack my way through the last five levels. Should have built one earlier to help deal with ammo management, since my only nano pack went on armor.

I ended up finding a bunch of nuclear weapons on my Ao100 run, which made ammo management a lot easier:

code:
[ Armor      ]   cybernano phaseshift armor [8] (P)
[ Weapon     ]   burst nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [48/48] (S1)
[ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [4/4] (100%) (A)
[ Prepared   ]   burst nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [62/62] (B1)
[c] nuclear VBFG9000 (8d9) [60/60] (P1)
Ao100 can be fun just for getting to play around with all kinds of crazy gear that you will never, ever find or be able to build in a normal run.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
There's about 5 hours left in the Jupiter Hell kickstarter. If you haven't yet, I'd throw them some coin. Creating DoomRL by itself warrants supporting this project. I'd be nice to get to the Io stretch goal, but that probably won't happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020043306/jupiter-hell-a-modern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It's the one project I'd seriously like to kickstart, Kornel deserves all my money for making DoomRL, but I don't have a CC and they don't accept PayPal.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

madjackmcmad posted:

Watch one of his dev streams, it should set you at easy. 3D graphics aren't as codery fuckery as they were back in the day after all. Though he does insist on using his own engine.
Ah, he has dev streams. Thanks - I've backed now!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happylisk posted:

There's about 5 hours left in the Jupiter Hell kickstarter. If you haven't yet, I'd throw them some coin. Creating DoomRL by itself warrants supporting this project. I'd be nice to get to the Io stretch goal, but that probably won't happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020043306/jupiter-hell-a-modern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike

An hour left - we got hacking, maybe maybe pure mode, but proobably not Io.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

One thing I like about Roguemas is revisiting older roguelikes with new eyes. Last year I beat both Rogue Legacy and Risk of Rain for the first time when I tried them again, and this year I got further in Coin Crypt than ever before.

On the third day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Three jingling coins
Two blighted crabs
And a feisty little deity

There's a gamble that comes with attempting new mechanics in a game. We've all been around long enough that we expect certain things to work certain ways, and cutting against that grain can really turn people off. But nobody wants to fight the same monsters and gain the same levels forever, and so we must give games like Coin Crypt their dues. Easily one of the most unique roguelikes I've ever played, Coin Crypt not only forges forth with a bold new concept, but constructs some brilliant strategy around it.

You are a lootmancer, unraveling the secrets of a mysterious island in the Pacific in the search for more loot. And you're going to find plenty of it in the form of coins, dozens upon dozens of different kinds of coins. The thing is, these coins are how you do EVERYTHING in the game. Attack coins do damage to your enemies, healing coins heal you, shield coins protect you, stealing coins take your foe's coins, key coins unlock things, and so on. Run out of life OR coins and it's game over, so you need to be just as careful about spending yourself into oblivion as you are fighting monsters.

If that sounds daunting, then let me assure you it is, at least at first. You start the game with a basic set of coins and find more in chests liberally scattered throughout the levels. Coins can also be nicked off your enemies or collected when they perish, but must be spent to defeat them. Combat is far more complex than just attacking or healing, though. Enemies can also be beaten by running them out of coins, and there are a wealth of coins that can steal coins, drop coins, clone coins, switch coins, and more. You'll always need to size up your foe before launching a strategy, because armored enemies might be easier to take down by running them dry, or low-health enemies might be better handled through status effects.

I really cannot stress enough how deep the combat system is. It's real-time as well, with each coin having a cast time to consider. That means you can launch quick steals to stop a heavy incoming attack, or fill a swift enemy's pockets with self-damaging coins, or just wait for a basic attacker to waste their coins against your shields. Your available coins are drawn randomly as three options so you won't always have your chosen strategy up, but you can re-draw or find items or buffs that affect the coins you tend to draw.

This brilliant combat system is the heart of Coin Crypt, particularly because there's a pretty simple game built around it. Levels tend to be short and contain few features outside enemies and chests. There are shrines to loot deities, wishing wells, and shops to spend your coins on, but with all of these you'll need some experience to know when to spend and when to save. Your coins all have value, of course, and so their worth as actual currency may also color your strategy. You'll even find a few secrets and shortcuts, assuming you take the time to explore a little.

There's a daily challenge mode on top of the regular adventure, and a whole gaggle of characters to unlock, each with their own unique playstyle. It's all wrapped up in an adorable blocky presentation of bold lines, primary colors, and bouncing rectangular people. The sound design is fine as well, though I can't say I remember much outside of the pleasing jingle of coins. But really, that's all you need when the core experience is so good. Coin Crypt does a lot with a fresh concept, making it something worth digging into and spending hours mastering.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Coin Crypt is neat but I'll forever have a grudge against them for having a functioning tutorial and then removing it because they wanted only real roguelike appreciators to play the game.

It is a pretty interesting system, but I remember odder strategies ultimately hobbling you -- trying to 'deck out' your opponent by running them out of coins meant you got less loot after each battle, some issues with the 'curse coin' strategy meant you got those curse coins after a combat so it wasn't an effective strategy unless you forced them to spend the curse coins first. Of course, I only played it for a few hours before moving on so I probably missed a nuance or an unlockable character that would've caused those strats to click.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oenis posted:

It's the one project I'd seriously like to kickstart, Kornel deserves all my money for making DoomRL, but I don't have a CC and they don't accept PayPal.

quote:

There were some stretch goals we didn’t quite reach (we really want to go to Io!) But we are now accepting further contributions through a new Jupiter Hell pre-order page (which accepts cards, Paypal, Amazon and Bitcoin), for those that missed the Kickstarter or who physically couldn’t contribute. And we’re still counting towards those goals! Io will be reached!

Pre-order Page.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

potatocubed posted:

Can I enter this phase even though I didn't post in the initial ideas contest? It's given me An Idea and I've thrown together a basic structure in Unity that more or less works. (Until I add pathfinding tonight, at which point I suspect it'll stop working in short and spectacular order.)

Honor system that you only had the idea AFTER the contest started, but sure. You created stuff and that was the point.

I'm behind on the spreadsheet but I'll make sure I get everything when I'm judging. It won't be until late tomorrow because I'm going to legal observer training after work. (I said that the deadline is tonight, but realistically I'll count things posted tomorrow before I judge.)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

11:59 on the 14th is tomorrow, not tonight!

Why yes I did just start working through that unity tutorial why do you ask?

Seriously though it took me like half a week to talk myself out of doing this in Python, but so far I'm really impressed with how intuitive and how flexible unity is for 2D stuff these days. Not my memory of it at all, and anyone who's been on the fence about diving in should totally go for it. This is fun and a huge chunk of my design just crystallized instantly as soon as I started doing the kind of work that results in files being saved. Making stuff is good and fun. I still fully expect to abandon it inside a week, but I expected that a week ago too so special thanks to hito for the little extra push.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Hey Unormal, you have me blocked on twitter, I think it might be because it was hacked before and sending out spam? If it's actually because you hate me disregard but could I get unblocked? it's @wezlar

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

Hey Unormal, you have me blocked on twitter, I think it might be because it was hacked before and sending out spam? If it's actually because you hate me disregard but could I get unblocked? it's @wezlar

I don't recall why I blocked you, I usually only ever do it because of spam, but maybe I hate you? I don't remember so I guess let's assume I don't hate you, so I unblocked you!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Irony.or.Death posted:

11:59 on the 14th is tomorrow, not tonight!

Why yes I did just start working through that unity tutorial why do you ask?

Seriously though it took me like half a week to talk myself out of doing this in Python, but so far I'm really impressed with how intuitive and how flexible unity is for 2D stuff these days. Not my memory of it at all, and anyone who's been on the fence about diving in should totally go for it. This is fun and a huge chunk of my design just crystallized instantly as soon as I started doing the kind of work that results in files being saved. Making stuff is good and fun. I still fully expect to abandon it inside a week, but I expected that a week ago too so special thanks to hito for the little extra push.

oh, good catch. Okay, yeah, the official cutoff is EOD Wednesday but anything posted Thursday before I start judging is fair game. Don't forget to post any highlights you have in the discord to the thread!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Thought about using Unity for this project since I've been spending a lot of time learning it for 3D VR development, but C#/XNA is still my most familiar platform so I decided to use Monogame instead for cross-platform support.

I worked in XNA for years on dmans, and the switch to Unity is painless. Still C#, still cross platform, but it's updated by professionals and there's a world of live information about how to do things.

Too Shy Guy posted:

[b][i]On the third day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Really cool that you're doing this again. Also if you go another year without including dmans on your list I will probably die of dehydration from crying.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

A gif of the current state of my game:

I have locational damage working, which is good, but I don't have any concept of time/turns yet. I haven't touched the AI either, the main selling point. Got a little less than three weeks left. The decision to essentially roll my own engine is not a great one for actually shipping something. It's a lot of fun though, and I'm learning quite a bit!

Fortunately I have a week and a half of vacation coming up at the end of the month that should afford more time to work on it than the hour/two hours per day I'm spending now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm kind of glad I didn't win because work and trying to find new work has drained me of a lot of my creative energy, but I am slowly pecking away at Godsrune.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Today I made a tileset for the game I'm working on:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks for the heads-up, that's really neat! Especially since a lot of the stretch goals sound really cool, I hope he'll get another surge of pre-orders. I did my part.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hito posted:

Honor system that you only had the idea AFTER the contest started, but sure. You created stuff and that was the point.

Turns out my home internet is dead, so I can't upload any proof anyway. Never mind.

Spent last night plugging away at pathfinding by Googling it on my phone and trying to apply the lessons on my desktop. And it works! Once. Turn 2 causes the game to completely lock up and I have no idea why.

Tonight: Inserting debug statements every three lines until I work out what's going wrong.

E: And the lesson we learned today is 'always put escapes in your do/while loops'.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im not making anything but i'd encourage anyone who is to try unity. I programmed as a hobby in highschool and never did it since. I have made some kind of simple things in unity and its really easy. I'd put my knowledge level at "Read a few learn X in 24 hour books" 10 years ago and I feel pretty confident in unity.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

megane posted:

Today I made a tileset for the game I'm working on:

While I like the tileset, I do not like the font. Part of that's probably the size, but part of it is also just the design; I'd find that annoying to read, especially continuously (though it might work OK for section headers if it was larger or something).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MantlingTheWatcher posted:

A gif of the current state of my game:

What did you use to record this? I wanted to share gifs of my earlier work on ttymor but they were such a pain in the rear end that I gave up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

What did you use to record this? I wanted to share gifs of my earlier work on ttymor but they were such a pain in the rear end that I gave up.

Dunno about MantlingTheWatcher, but I did my GIF by recording with OBS and converting to GIF with ffmpeg.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

What did you use to record this?

I used gooncam, which is fairly simple and captures from your screen.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I use gooncam all the time for gif making. Like this one:

I built this over the Ludum Dare weekend. You can play it on the free, win/max/linux. There are tiles and you only get one life so it is a roguelike. It is not a roguelike. http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=5448

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

madjackmcmad posted:

There are tiles and you only get one life so it is a roguelike. It is not a roguelike. http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=5448

Please do not superposition the thread, being both a live and a dead cat at once violates the berlin interpretation.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

madjackmcmad posted:

Really cool that you're doing this again. Also if you go another year without including dmans on your list I will probably die of dehydration from crying.

It's funny, I started doing the review thing two years ago in the Steam thread as a way to make myself get through a backlog of spooky games. People liked my writeups, I expanded my scope, started a curator group, and now it's something I treat like freelance work, with a schedule and everything, because it's really fun. Also judging from my Steam activity feed I might be influencing purchasing decisions now which is exciting and a little scary.

Honestly I was going to skip Roguemas this year because I hadn't been buying or playing any in 2016, besides Sproggiwood. But I was gifted the game coming on day 6 and I loved it so much, it put me back on the horse. So whereas 2015 was a bunch of my top roguelikes, 2016 is more just what I have left. This is a pretty roundabout way of saying stay hydrated Dungeonmans ghost, but on the bright side your game won't run the risk of ending up like this next one.

On the fourth day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Four junky exos
Three jingling coins
Two blighted crabs

The big issue with Arcen Games is how all of them are missing that last level of essential polish, the pass that adds transition effects between menus or visual feedback when you click a button. The result is that all of their games feel fundamentally unfinished, like you're playing the final alpha candidate. That being the case, it's entirely up to the gameplay to redeem the title. With Starward Rogue, it's worth the hassle to experience. With Shattered Haven, it isn't. And with Bionic Dues, it really, very, aggressively is not worth struggling through.

Bionic Dues places you as the commander of a futuristic city's defenses. The robots have risen just like the Wachowskis said they would, and you're the last hope of keeping the city from being overrun. When you start a new game you choose four classes of bots to command and your commander persona, and then get dumped to the city overview. The terribly verbose popups explain the setup and your basic approach: Complete missions on the map to grow your forces and weaken theirs in preparation for the final assault on the city.

The map is a network of nodes spreading out from your HQ. Completing the mission at a node allows you access to the nodes connected to it. You have 50 days before the robots try to make jaunty hats out of your human rear end, and each mission takes one day to complete. As you might expect, missions come in many different flavors, providing different challenges, objectives, and rewards. This makes it important to not only choose useful missions in terms of what resources you need, but also for what subsequent missions they unlock.

Once you click on a mission, you get launched straight into the wall that Bionic Dues shatters against. The actual gameplay is roguelike, with you moving your bot around dark, narrow hallways one grid space at a time. Enemies don't activate until they get line of sight on you, and you'll have a variety of bots and weapons on each to switch between and fight back with. It looks pretty complicated at first, but you'll soon get the hang of scooting around and picking off enemies from afar.

At that point, one of three things is going to happen. The first and most likely is that an enemy bot will end up in your face, either from being strangely well-armored or just hiding behind a door, and systematically one-shots your entire team. Mistakes in Bionic Dues are punished harshly, to the point that stepping one square too far can mean the difference between a flawless victory and total defeat. Your foes are wildly different in the threats they present, but even after memorizing which ones will end you in an instant you're still going to have moments where they pop up from behind cover or a door to ruin your run.

If the unforgiving enemies don't get you right away, you might find yourself clicking on them with empty guns. Your bots have two or three weapons each, and they're all on extremely limited ammo counts. This makes it even harder to recover from mistakes, because losing even one bot usually means losing out on ammo essential for reaching the end of the mission. You have stealth and hacking options but of course these too are under strict point limitations. The takeaway after a mere thirty minutes with Bionic Dues is that you need to be on point with your strategy and your resource management right from the gate. And yet even that won't always save you, because of the third issue with the game, heavily randomized factors like traps and consoles. Deadly traps are to be expected in any roguelike but the consoles are just awful, offering random effects in exchange for hacking points but can very easily steal all your ammo or break your weapons. Even the layout of the level works against you, because there's never any logic to guide you to the goal and the foes in your way can number in the single-digits or the high dozens.

Presumably you can mitigate some of this pain by upgrading your bots, but there's yet another wall of stats and slots and abilities to sort through for each of your mechs. As with the rest of the cobbled-together interface the upgrade screen is a mashup of overly-detailed item slots and tiny eye-straining text that tries as hard as it can to be funny in far too many words. This is a persistent problem across the entire game, the absolutely atrocious writing that turns simple status messages into a dialog between you and the world's least witty unseen adjutant. You'll find a ton of randomized gear to slot into your mechs on each mission, but sussing out what is actually going to be useful on which mech takes a lot of study and experience that Bionic Dues simply doesn't earn.

For as much as I love Starward Rogue, I hate Bionic Dues. Arcen's cluttered, garish graphics are at their worst here with indistinct mechanical shapes dropped onto grids of dark, ugly squares evocative of nothing. The sound design is inconsistent in its impact or even presence, with virtually no audio cues for important happenings like being spotted or stealth running out. These issues could be overlooked if the core gameplay is compelling, but there's far too much frustration and wasted effort to dig through to get to the actual strategy. I'm having trouble thinking of a roguelike I've had less fun with than Bionic Dues, and its only saving grace is that it was eventually succeeded by Starward Rogue.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's funny, I started doing the review thing two years ago in the Steam thread as a way to make myself get through a backlog of spooky games. People liked my writeups, I expanded my scope, started a curator group, and now it's something I treat like freelance work, with a schedule and everything, because it's really fun. Also judging from my Steam activity feed I might be influencing purchasing decisions now which is exciting and a little scary.

Honestly I was going to skip Roguemas this year because I hadn't been buying or playing any in 2016, besides Sproggiwood. But I was gifted the game coming on day 6 and I loved it so much, it put me back on the horse. So whereas 2015 was a bunch of my top roguelikes, 2016 is more just what I have left. This is a pretty roundabout way of saying stay hydrated Dungeonmans ghost, but on the bright side your game won't run the risk of ending up like this next one.

On the fourth day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Four junky exos
Three jingling coins
Two blighted crabs

The big issue with Arcen Games is how all of them are missing that last level of essential polish, the pass that adds transition effects between menus or visual feedback when you click a button. The result is that all of their games feel fundamentally unfinished, like you're playing the final alpha candidate. That being the case, it's entirely up to the gameplay to redeem the title. With Starward Rogue, it's worth the hassle to experience. With Shattered Haven, it isn't. And with Bionic Dues, it really, very, aggressively is not worth struggling through.

Bionic Dues places you as the commander of a futuristic city's defenses. The robots have risen just like the Wachowskis said they would, and you're the last hope of keeping the city from being overrun. When you start a new game you choose four classes of bots to command and your commander persona, and then get dumped to the city overview. The terribly verbose popups explain the setup and your basic approach: Complete missions on the map to grow your forces and weaken theirs in preparation for the final assault on the city.

The map is a network of nodes spreading out from your HQ. Completing the mission at a node allows you access to the nodes connected to it. You have 50 days before the robots try to make jaunty hats out of your human rear end, and each mission takes one day to complete. As you might expect, missions come in many different flavors, providing different challenges, objectives, and rewards. This makes it important to not only choose useful missions in terms of what resources you need, but also for what subsequent missions they unlock.

Once you click on a mission, you get launched straight into the wall that Bionic Dues shatters against. The actual gameplay is roguelike, with you moving your bot around dark, narrow hallways one grid space at a time. Enemies don't activate until they get line of sight on you, and you'll have a variety of bots and weapons on each to switch between and fight back with. It looks pretty complicated at first, but you'll soon get the hang of scooting around and picking off enemies from afar.

At that point, one of three things is going to happen. The first and most likely is that an enemy bot will end up in your face, either from being strangely well-armored or just hiding behind a door, and systematically one-shots your entire team. Mistakes in Bionic Dues are punished harshly, to the point that stepping one square too far can mean the difference between a flawless victory and total defeat. Your foes are wildly different in the threats they present, but even after memorizing which ones will end you in an instant you're still going to have moments where they pop up from behind cover or a door to ruin your run.

If the unforgiving enemies don't get you right away, you might find yourself clicking on them with empty guns. Your bots have two or three weapons each, and they're all on extremely limited ammo counts. This makes it even harder to recover from mistakes, because losing even one bot usually means losing out on ammo essential for reaching the end of the mission. You have stealth and hacking options but of course these too are under strict point limitations. The takeaway after a mere thirty minutes with Bionic Dues is that you need to be on point with your strategy and your resource management right from the gate. And yet even that won't always save you, because of the third issue with the game, heavily randomized factors like traps and consoles. Deadly traps are to be expected in any roguelike but the consoles are just awful, offering random effects in exchange for hacking points but can very easily steal all your ammo or break your weapons. Even the layout of the level works against you, because there's never any logic to guide you to the goal and the foes in your way can number in the single-digits or the high dozens.

Presumably you can mitigate some of this pain by upgrading your bots, but there's yet another wall of stats and slots and abilities to sort through for each of your mechs. As with the rest of the cobbled-together interface the upgrade screen is a mashup of overly-detailed item slots and tiny eye-straining text that tries as hard as it can to be funny in far too many words. This is a persistent problem across the entire game, the absolutely atrocious writing that turns simple status messages into a dialog between you and the world's least witty unseen adjutant. You'll find a ton of randomized gear to slot into your mechs on each mission, but sussing out what is actually going to be useful on which mech takes a lot of study and experience that Bionic Dues simply doesn't earn.

For as much as I love Starward Rogue, I hate Bionic Dues. Arcen's cluttered, garish graphics are at their worst here with indistinct mechanical shapes dropped onto grids of dark, ugly squares evocative of nothing. The sound design is inconsistent in its impact or even presence, with virtually no audio cues for important happenings like being spotted or stealth running out. These issues could be overlooked if the core gameplay is compelling, but there's far too much frustration and wasted effort to dig through to get to the actual strategy. I'm having trouble thinking of a roguelike I've had less fun with than Bionic Dues, and its only saving grace is that it was eventually succeeded by Starward Rogue.

I won Bionic Dues on Steam. I must confess my single game experience with it, pretty much consisted of me staring blankly at it quite a bit. I really wish I had seen a review like this first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Too Shy Guy posted:

all of their games feel fundamentally unfinished, like you're playing the final alpha candidate.

Except for AI War, right? Right?