Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cloud has a really interesting personality and a great character arc, so it makes me kinda sad that people who haven't played 7 think he's some depressed sad sack. He actually doesn't act like that once in the entire game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's only the first blitzball match that's bad (but then once you put together a decent team it becomes way too easy)

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
My problem with Blitzball is that once you know who to recruit it becomes trivial (which I guess isn't really a fair complaint). The first five or so games after the plot match against Luca are always great though because you're not overpowered and teams are still relatively distinct so playing against the Rondos or whoever actually feels different than playing against the Al Bhed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I especially love how when you're on defense, you have no control of your team.

I also love how people's stats aren't their actual stats and the application will be 50% plus or minus.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want FFXIV to add blitzball but have it be 6v6 multiplayer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Now that I'm thinking about it, it's weird that the semi-religiously-sanctioned sport allows the Al Bhed to field a team. Especially since their list of shady deeds, as I recall, goes further than heresy anyway.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mordiceius posted:

Man, gently caress Blitzball.

I agree. But you only have to do it once and you don't even have to win. If you really don't like it, you have to do it at all. Just leave the controller on the floor until the timer runs out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ROFL Octopus posted:

Cloud has a really interesting personality and a great character arc, so it makes me kinda sad that people who haven't played 7 think he's some depressed sad sack. He actually doesn't act like that once in the entire game.

When he gets all depressed and then catatonic in the middle, it reminds me of Cameron from Ferris Bueler's Day Off, and he definitely was a sad sack. Cloud has more pressing mental problems I guess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The problem with clouds character is that its sort of regressed from what we saw in the original game with each other version hes come up in. The Cloud that people know right now really is a depressed sad sack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

When he gets all depressed and then catatonic in the middle, it reminds me of Cameron from Ferris Bueler's Day Off, and he definitely was a sad sack. Cloud has more pressing mental problems I guess.

He's not really depressed there, he's literally poisoned and brain-hosed-up.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don't think he's depressed. Squall is depressed and I love him. To me cloud was coming off as an rear end in a top hat but not necessarily one that I disliked.

As mentioned before I couldn't get a good read on some of the tone which is probably a mix of limited animation and localization.

I should mention that I find the atmosphere bleaker than I was expecting especially now that I have to save Tifa from becoming an exotic dancer/prostitute. At the same time though I guess I gotta find a dress? But that scattershot sense of tone seems par for the course in what little FF I've played and I think that gives it some charm.

While I'm here, I figured I should ask. When I do go to play IV and V should I get them on the Wii VC or get the IV psp port or what? Or is the DS version the best for IV.

If this has been covered to death just point me in the right direction. It'll be a while before I get to them but VIII has left me excited for more.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FF7 presents a pretty bleak world. There's a reason ecoterrorists came off as pretty good guys back at release. It also introduced a generation of little kids to the concept of systemic classism.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ecoterrorists are still good guys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We're the Planeteers, you can be one too, because saving our planet is the thing to do.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

PSP port for IV, GBA port for V

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Scrap Dragon posted:

:agreed: The PC port of IV is one of the few pre-VII Steam ports with any merit, but it's got major gameplay differences aimed at non-first-timers. Which imo makes it a really stupid version to make into the PC port, but that would mean not just copying across the phone version. :effort:

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Great! I can do that. Thank you.

I'm sort of hoping they announce the real big collection with vita support by the time I get to them but if vita support is dropped this will be easy enough.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I was listening to the XV soundtrack, and at first I was like "man, they are really pushing that whole 'Final Fantasy is BACK!!' angle by including the Prelude in every song, aren't they?"

But then I remembered that Yoko Shimomura just really loving loves arpeggios. She's probably been waiting to get her hands on the Prelude for years, so I can't blame her for going a little crazy with it. And honestly, it kinda works. She was pretty much the perfect person to compose for XV.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'd say the PSP and DS versions of IV are both valid. The PSP port is most faithful to the original, and includes the sequel if you...really want that, I guess, but the DS version is a different (harder, arguably better) experience.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember people wanting a Blitzball sports game spinoff... I think I was one of those people.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I want FFXIV to add blitzball but have it be 6v6 multiplayer.

i specifically asked yoship for this when he visited excalibur, so please look forward to it

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'd say the PSP and DS versions of IV are both valid. The PSP port is most faithful to the original, and includes the sequel if you...really want that, I guess, but the DS version is a different (harder, arguably better) experience.

:agreed:

The faults of the ds version are the primitive 3D models and the extremely choppy battle animations.

On the other hand, it has some of the best combat in the series and is probably the series' best attempt at combining character individuality and customization. You will probably need a guide for the augments though.

PSP has a big dungeon where you can bring everyone to their maximum potential, as well as obtaining some closure for characters. Kain far more than anyone else.

DS does not have that, but it has remade story beats with extra scenes, in addition to having overhauled gameplay, as well as new game +.

I without a doubt prefer DS but both are awesome. By the way SylvainMustach, I'm kind of jealous of you experiencing these games for the first time, because IV-VI is when the series is really hit its stride.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Spergatory posted:

But then I remembered that Yoko Shimomura just really loving loves arpeggios.

As do we all. Shine on you bright diamond, Shimomura! :allears:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SylvainMustach posted:

While I'm here, I figured I should ask. When I do go to play IV and V should I get them on the Wii VC or get the IV psp port or what? Or is the DS version the best for IV.

If this has been covered to death just point me in the right direction. It'll be a while before I get to them but VIII has left me excited for more.

Definitely DS for IV. It's the only version with good gameplay that isn't mindless. Some people are fine with every battle being "Press A to win." Those people like the PSP port.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cleretic posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's weird that the semi-religiously-sanctioned sport allows the Al Bhed to field a team. Especially since their list of shady deeds, as I recall, goes further than heresy anyway.

I believe they get to participate because they're the only ones who know how to do maintenance on the Blitzball machines.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

He's not really depressed there, he's literally poisoned and brain-hosed-up.

I would imagine depression is part of having your identity destroyed. I mean, when a person is so broken that they beg to be a "number", because they want to be someone...anyone, I think that qualifies as depressed. Sephiroth didn't make up all that poo poo about Cloud not being real to make him happy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

some guy on the bus posted:

Definitely DS for IV. It's the only version with good gameplay that isn't mindless. Some people are fine with every battle being "Press A to win." Those people like the PSP port.

If you don't grind at all, it's not press A to win. But I mean, using items and rods and stuff isn't terribly complicated I guess.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The FF4 PSP port has some of the best spritework I ever saw in the PSP era. Now I'm sure that people will immediately post better examples of better sprites from PSP games, but I don't give a gently caress. The PSP version of FF4 is GOAT for a true, authentic Final Fantasy that takes no prisoners, accepts no surrenders, and rolls in guns blazing proclaiming itself as a true Final Fantasy game made by the one, the only, the legendary Squaresoft, now Square-Enix. If you want to know what Final Fantasy 4, a tale of romance, betrayal, redemption, villainy, heroism, dragons, sorcery, princes and princesses, is all about, play the PSP port. The gorgeous music of Uematsu, long proclaimed master of the sonic movements that give each and every pre-absolute garbage Final Fantasy game their resounding gravitas and poise, made one of his finest stamps into his burgeoning career when he composed the soundtrack to this epic, simply EPIC game, newly reimagined for the Steam console using the inferior graphics and perplexing gameplay decisions of the DS port. Bar none, the PSP port of FF4 is an unrivaled remastering of one of the most beloved games in a series that pulled a game company back from the very jaws of death helmed by legendary visionary and founder Hironobu Sakaguchi whose tireless tenacity and penchance for genius rooted through the aspiring designers of the era to bring to the fore a collection of some of the most groundbreaking and cutting edge game designers the glorious nation of Nippon, that is to say Japan ever produced in that bold age of the late 80's to early 90's.

But I digress, my bottom line is, play the PSP port of Final Fantasy IV, and if you should so happen to, by hook or crook, espy a option labeled "The After Years" give it no mind, as only a dullard could believe that such a pinnacle of game design could ever warrant a sequel that nobody wanted or asked for, starring newcomers that nobody would appreciate or particularly like, in a plot that can best be described as "Ghostbusters 2, if it was bad."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

The FF4 PSP port has some of the best spritework I ever saw in the PSP era.

For sure, it's loving gorgeous.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gologle posted:

simply EPIC game, newly reimagined for the Steam console using the inferior graphics and perplexing gameplay decisions of the DS port.

I like the art style of the DS version better myself. My fav remakes are those DS Dragon Quest ones for the record. Unless pixels are a bad thing (I don't think so myself), it's just personal taste on which one looks better. I actually think the GBA version looks better than the PSP version.

Speaking of remakes, would've been cool if the FF7 remake went with an art style a bit more cartoony.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Heavy Metal posted:

I like the art style of the DS version better myself. My fav remakes are those DS Dragon Quest ones for the record. Unless pixels are a bad thing (I don't think so myself), it's just personal taste on which one looks better. I actually think the GBA version looks better than the PSP version.

Speaking of remakes, would've been cool if the FF7 remake went with an art style a bit more cartoony.

It's apparently important that we are able to play as Advent Children Cloud in the game so I wouldn't count on it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
As much as I hate both this actual sequence and the overall concept and direction of the remake, I feel like the entire value of the remake will hinge on and be understood by their approach to Wall Market. You can't pull off Wall Market with modern, realistic graphics and the sequels-and-spinoffs takes on Cloud and Aerith, it's too silly and reliant on the original script's dynamic. It's a massive challenge that's very early in the development for the project, so their approach to it will tell us a lot about how they're approaching the whole thing.

I personally expect that entire sequence to fall flat and be a really awkward experience that most players will want to skip, as it sticks to the script enough to maintain most/all the questionable parts of it (both gameplay and writing) but bungles the delivery by rewriting the characters to the point where much of the actual comedy falls flat.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

For FFIV for a first-timer I'd actually recommend the PSX version in FF Chronicles. It's the original Super Famicom version with a re-done translation and the original higher difficulty, with removed items/abilities back in, so it basically solves the faults of the Western SNES release and still has the original looks. Unlike the other FF re-releases on PSX there aren't any loading times to worry about.

The DS/PC version has major gameplay changes, different music, bad early 3D graphics, bad framerates, and voice-acting with cinematic cutscenes, so it's really quite a different vibe from the original game. The gameplay changes are great for a second go-round but with the changes and much higher difficulty I wouldn't recommend for a newcomer. The PSP version sprites are good IMO but divisive for some, they're way more detailed than the originals which have a real chunky early 16-bit charm about them. It's also incredibly easy.

The PSX version strikes a nice balance and is still playable on Vita for portability or PS3 for big-screen action, so I'd go for that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

As much as I hate both this actual sequence and the overall concept and direction of the remake, I feel like the entire value of the remake will hinge on and be understood by their approach to Wall Market. You can't pull off Wall Market with modern, realistic graphics and the sequels-and-spinoffs takes on Cloud and Aerith, it's too silly and reliant on the original script's dynamic. It's a massive challenge that's very early in the development for the project, so their approach to it will tell us a lot about how they're approaching the whole thing.

I personally expect that entire sequence to fall flat and be a really awkward experience that most players will want to skip, as it sticks to the script enough to maintain most/all the questionable parts of it (both gameplay and writing) but bungles the delivery by rewriting the characters to the point where much of the actual comedy falls flat.

Well a bunch of super realistic HD men climbing in a tub with another man against his will can definitely be awkward compared to how cartoony everything was in original FFVII.

Similarly, I think the addition of voice-acting would make Cid's berating of Shera even more horrible and I expect that bit to be substantially toned down. That's all for the good, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well a bunch of super realistic HD men climbing in a tub with another man against his will can definitely be awkward compared to how cartoony everything was in original FFVII.

Similarly, I think the addition of voice-acting would make Cid's berating of Shera even more horrible and I expect that bit to be substantially toned down. That's all for the good, though.

I'm kinda torn on that. On one hand, I actually feel like Cid would make the translation to the remake really well, if they don't pull their punches. Cid is an abrasive, destructive and terrifying man who hates that his glory was taken away from him, he perfectly suits the level of 'oh god what :gonk:' that would come from not changing anything from the script. He is perhaps the least heroic man in a party full of people racing to that bottom.

But on the other hand, they would have to do SO MUCH to make drat sure not to glorify or even excuse his behavior. He's a compelling character, but I genuinely would not trust most of the audience with him.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Cleretic posted:

I'm kinda torn on that. On one hand, I actually feel like Cid would make the translation to the remake really well, if they don't pull their punches. Cid is an abrasive, destructive and terrifying man who hates that his glory was taken away from him, he perfectly suits the level of 'oh god what :gonk:' that would come from not changing anything from the script. He is perhaps the least heroic man in a party full of people racing to that bottom.

But on the other hand, they would have to do SO MUCH to make drat sure not to glorify or even excuse his behavior. He's a compelling character, but I genuinely would not trust most of the audience with him.

That's one thing I thought the original did quite well. All the heroes are incredibly uncomfortable with what's going on when they encounter them for the first time, probably also because he's yelling at them. Then Palmer comes in and just doesn't give two fat fucks, he just wants his lard in his tea. And then he gets hit by a truck.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cleretic posted:

Aerith threatening to rip Don Corneo's balls out would be a lot weirder in the realistic style.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Cleretic posted:

There's so many things that I'm worried about when it comes to the remake. The tone is definitely a big one, because when you see Cloud in stuff like Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, and even World of Final Fantasy, he's all Gruff McSadpants with absolutely zero levity or nuance to his character. I feel like that's going to spill over into the rest of the game and we're not going to get accurate recreations of things like the entirety of the Gold Saucer (and the minigames therein), chocobo racing, Red XIII in a sailor costume, and the Wall Market section of Midgar.

I'm worried that Nomura is going do too much in trying to leave his stamp on the game and reimagine its events based on how he thought the characters should act when we first designed them, rather than how we the players experienced the game. I would so much rather prefer them make a game with updated graphics and a proper translation while retaining the existing battle system and even leaving the game without voice acting than to get an entirely different game wearing the mask of FFVII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoren posted:

when you see Cloud in stuff like Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, and even World of Final Fantasy, he's all Gruff McSadpants with absolutely zero levity or nuance to his character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbVim8AGZw