Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Odddzy posted:

I liked the only time I was in new york but to me, I felt random strangers in the street had some kind of a very ''sad'' vibe. People I legit met though were fine. Is it just me?

My feeling from having been in NYC for a few years now is that everybody's got a kind of resigned, "we're all in this mess together" sort of air about them. Everybody's dealing with the same weird and unique set of annoyances and routines that only apply in NYC and nowhere else, and while nobody makes small talk in the streets, little gestures like holding a gate open for a construction worker carrying a ladder or taking a minute to spot for someone trying to parallel park really gives you a feeling that it's going to get paid forward throughout the day.

YMMV of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Odddzy posted:

I liked the only time I was in new york but to me, I felt random strangers in the street had some kind of a very ''sad'' vibe. People I legit met though were fine. Is it just me?
Random strangers on the street in New York usually have a "I am only here to travel, I am not here to make friendly chitchat with the literal millions of strangers I will walk past today" vibe that people from smaller communities in places where it's the norm to smile and say "howdy" to strangers (which is so much loving easier to do when there are not literally millions of them) tend to interpret as unfriendliness or even outright rudeness. If you actually legitimately meet somebody then of course they're going to be a regular person, because it's out of the context of the "millions of strangers while i'm just trying to get to work" :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

My feeling from having been in NYC for a few years now is that everybody's got a kind of resigned, "we're all in this mess together" sort of air about them. Everybody's dealing with the same weird and unique set of annoyances and routines that only apply in NYC and nowhere else, and while nobody makes small talk in the streets, little gestures like holding a gate open for a construction worker carrying a ladder or taking a minute to spot for someone trying to parallel park really gives you a feeling that it's going to get paid forward throughout the day.

YMMV of course.

Out of curiosity, what specific weirdness do you have to put up with that people from other large cities don't? Genuinely curious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's probably true to some degree of lots of cities, but stuff that's just pervasive in Manhattan. Like living on the 20th floor (or 6th floor of a walkup) and having your entire world be encompassed by a 5-block radius, everything from shopping to laundry to your kids' school. Steam heat. Food carts. I mean, lots of cities operate like this, but NYC sort of concentrates it to an extreme degree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You mean that other cities don’t have tanks of LN2 on their street corners to keep their infrastructure from corroding? :monocle:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

When will we just get night vision windshields?

There was actually an idea to make headlights polarized, and then have the windshield polarized the other way so other people's headlights couldn't shine directly at you, but that made people very uncomfortable. Also the flash to pass thing is a good idea when a tractor trailer is passing you because they have a giant blind spot.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.419eater.com/html/cyril_ifey.htm

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Going back to high beams, there was one part of Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Monica where the cops would scan for speeders. Locals liked to warn each other by flashing high beams to the opposite direction as a way of saying "hey slow down, cops ahead." It was an interesting local custom, but I have no idea if they still do it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's standard in Australia to flash your high beams when there's a camera car about. Handy custom.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Artsygrrl posted:

Going back to high beams, there was one part of Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Monica where the cops would scan for speeders. Locals liked to warn each other by flashing high beams to the opposite direction as a way of saying "hey slow down, cops ahead." It was an interesting local custom, but I have no idea if they still do it.

This is SOP in western Canada.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Artsygrrl posted:

This is pretty much standard practice in Australia

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
We do it in PA as well. Especially around my neck of the woods because the cop likes to hide as much as he possibly can. There's a train overpass in my town that he sits on the other side of, so if you're speeding you won't even notice him until he has his lights on.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2eyaHff2nI

The kid that does a goose impression then runs off and his trousers fall down is the best.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Before we get 3 pages of "omg they flash the high beams to warn about cops in my town too!" it is a common thing people do everywhere in the world. No one place has a monopoly on it.

In some states the police will actually arrest you for doing it, claiming things like "interfering with an investigation" or "obstruction of justice."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Before we get 3 pages of "omg they flash the high beams to warn about cops in my town too!" it is a common thing people do everywhere in the world. No one place has a monopoly on it.

In some states the police will actually arrest you for doing it, claiming things like "interfering with an investigation" or "obstruction of justice."

Obstruction of revenue.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

Obstruction of revenue.

Well speeding fines are purely voluntary.

Never speed, never have to pay them :can:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Data Graham posted:

It's probably true to some degree of lots of cities, but stuff that's just pervasive in Manhattan. Like living on the 20th floor (or 6th floor of a walkup) and having your entire world be encompassed by a 5-block radius, everything from shopping to laundry to your kids' school. Steam heat. Food carts. I mean, lots of cities operate like this, but NYC sort of concentrates it to an extreme degree.

This is exactly like London. Which is even more compounded by the fact our mass transit systems are a third smaller than they should be and we still have lovely narrow streets from 600 years ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ultrabindu posted:

This is exactly like London. Which is even more compounded by the fact our mass transit systems are a third smaller than they should be and we still have lovely narrow streets from 600 years ago.

I've still never been to London, but the tiny streets are what I'm looking forward to the most. Something about cars the size of toasters zipping around twisty weird streets seems charming to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To be fair, several of those streets were rebuilt only 350 years ago.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
The Schadenfreude in my post is that I'm French-Canadian living in Quebec City.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've still never been to London, but the tiny streets are what I'm looking forward to the most. Something about cars the size of toasters zipping around twisty weird streets seems charming to me.

This London only exists in your head. If your basing this on anything you've seen or read get ready for a shock.

We have tiny rear end streets and normal sized cars.

Baron von Eevl posted:

To be fair, several of those streets were rebuilt only 350 years ago.

The rebuilt roads were only slightly widened after the fire. They're pretty much exactly as they were before the fire.
Incidentally Wren's original plans were to make London's roads much much wider and grid like, much like Manhattan is today, but we were too busy being at war with the Dutch to actually spend money on it.

Also I'm still Lolling at Cleveland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrabindu posted:

This London only exists in your head. If your basing this on anything you've seen or read get ready for Paris syndrome.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

ultrabindu posted:

The rebuilt roads were only slightly widened after the fire. They're pretty much exactly as they were before the fire.
Incidentally Wren's original plans were to make London's roads much much wider and grid like, much like Manhattan is today, but we were too busy being at war with the Dutch to actually spend money on it.

London: loving over future generations by underinvesting in infrastructure since time time immemorial.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

What the stupid gently caress? I can see they're passing because they indicate and pull past me.

High beams for passing, what the hell. I can see they are passing because of the way they are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t one U.S. parent enough anyway?

I guess they think that TERRISTS live in cabins in New Brunswick.

It's more that we didn't know that he renounced his citizenship and put on the form that both parents had it. So we got the paperwork equivalent of being yanked aside for questioning because we had "lied on the form".

InediblePenguin posted:

Random strangers on the street in New York usually have a "I am only here to travel, I am not here to make friendly chitchat with the literal millions of strangers I will walk past today" vibe that people from smaller communities in places where it's the norm to smile and say "howdy" to strangers (which is so much loving easier to do when there are not literally millions of them) tend to interpret as unfriendliness or even outright rudeness. If you actually legitimately meet somebody then of course they're going to be a regular person, because it's out of the context of the "millions of strangers while i'm just trying to get to work" :shrug:

Having spent about 2 months total in NYC since 2008, the average person is probably easier to get along with than one down here as long as you're not interrupting them. I tend to have more issues with other tourists who have no clue what they're doing or where they are and treat a city like one big theme park, crashing into people on the subway because they think it's like the Disney monorail or standing in the middle of the street chatting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrabindu posted:

This London only exists in your head. If your basing this on anything you've seen or read get ready for a shock.

This is true, though "normal sized" cars is relative.

In other words you won't see a lot of classic Minis, but a modern-day Mini is pretty much "normal sized" for London.

I keep seeing Ford F-150 Raptors in NYC for some reason.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

ultrabindu posted:

Also I'm still Lolling at Cleveland.

When I lived in France, the town I was in had a very trendy, upscale neighborhood that happened to be in the very old (read: medieval) streets. No street parking at all. Ever. One sidewalk on one side of the street, wide enough for one person. All one-way traffic through the typical European, winding, weird intersection streets. And in this, one new money couple who decided to import a Hummer H3 from the US as their primary mode of transportation. It was yellow.

In their nearly-fatal levels of Basicness, they had not foreseen what the size of this vehicle would do to their ability to drive it down the street. The street was barely wide enough for them to fit, which was fine until they needed to make a turn. If they needed to turn, they had to do a Y-turn pretty much every time. I witnessed this one time. It was like looking into the sun of schadenfreude. It was so brilliant.

Edit: chitoryu12, Chicago is completely doable sans car and our streets aren't filled with trash all the time.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

chitoryu12 posted:

Having spent about 2 months total in NYC since 2008, the average person is probably easier to get along with than one down here as long as you're not interrupting them. I tend to have more issues with other tourists who have no clue what they're doing or where they are and treat a city like one big theme park, crashing into people on the subway because they think it's like the Disney monorail or standing in the middle of the street chatting.
A really high percentage of Southerners have responded to finding out I'm from New York State by telling me that New Yorkers are incredibly rude -- one time they went to NYC and no one said hello to them

Conversely, I tend to feel like people in the South are rude because strangers in the grocery store ask me what church I go to, which would be a really invasive question to ask a stranger back home, but I remind myself that cultures differ and just deal with it rather than launching into talking about it every time I meet someone who's from around here (except for right now)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Data Graham posted:

In other words you won't see a lot of classic Minis, but a modern-day Mini is pretty much "normal sized" for London.

That's because they're awesome!!! They are also a big deal in China

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

A really high percentage of Southerners have responded to finding out I'm from New York State by telling me that New Yorkers are incredibly rude -- one time they went to NYC and no one said hello to them

Conversely, I tend to feel like people in the South are rude because strangers in the grocery store ask me what church I go to, which would be a really invasive question to ask a stranger back home, but I remind myself that cultures differ and just deal with it rather than launching into talking about it every time I meet someone who's from around here (except for right now)

Bless your heart.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Probably because they're badass. Who wouldn't want the instability of a truck mixed with the power and stigma of a cheap sportscar?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Data Graham posted:

In other words you won't see a lot of classic Minis, but a modern-day Mini Range Rover with blacked out windows and hideous aftermarket trim is pretty much "normal sized" for London.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

flosofl posted:

Bless your heart.

I love that this is the southern equivalent of spitting in someone's face.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

This guy gets it.

Gasmask posted:

London: loving over future generations by underinvesting in infrastructure since time time immemorial.

We really are a city of freude.
We still have 150 year old Victorian copper piping for our sewer system. One of them burst recently and caused this:

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/in-pictures-islington-has-been-flooded-by-a-burst-water-main-120516

We were also one of the first cities to have a sub surface railway system. Whilst New York shut down their pneumatic transit experiment and started again with an electrified system later, we decided to just keep building on the old underground rail. Our deep lying tube lines still have 120 year old stations and these stations and the trains cannot be fitted with air conditioning something, which any London commuter will tell you, is badly needed in the summer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not just the tourists, is the weird thing. There are some fairly obvious unwritten rules that get ignored by locals way too often, like "don't just suddenly stop walking dead in the middle of the sidewalk, there's probably someone right behind you", and "don't walk three abreast down the sidewalk chatting you self-absorbed jerks, you're preventing people from passing you", and "if you're on like the 8th floor and people are getting off the elevator, it means it's going up, don't get on you moron, there's even a light saying so, you don't have to ask you're going UP? and then act disgusted when you get an affirmative".

The "carefully planned and deliberate movements/situational awareness" thing is the big one though. Once I was heading south across a street on the left side of the avenue, and on the far corner a girl was standing and looking at her phone. I was booking pretty good and aimed to walk behind her (she was facing out across the intersection to the right). Just as I passed her she suddenly spun on her heels, whipped around and strode the opposite direction, right across my path, and as I went by my arm hit her phone and sent it sailing across the sidewalk. "OH THAAAAANKS" she sneered after me, as I was already halfway down the block, and god drat I felt bad (not schadenfreude, sorry), but seriously what the hell

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Bless your heart.

I laughed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrabindu posted:

We were also one of the first cities to have a sub surface railway system. Whilst New York shut down their pneumatic transit experiment and started again with an electrified system later, we decided to just keep building on the old underground rail. Our deep lying tube lines still have 120 year old stations and these stations and the trains cannot be fitted with air conditioning something, which any London commuter will tell you, is badly needed in the summer.

I could not stop laughing when I saw this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't that the maze from Westworld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Sagebrush posted:

Of all the urban legends I've heard of surrounding high beams this is by far the stupidest and least realistic one.