Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

A manager for the chemist told Sunshine Coast Daily there was no ill-intent, adding the dolls and sign would be separated.

A Terry White spokesman said the store had not made a connection between the connotation of the dolls and the sign.

Uhuh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
In their defence, it's Christmas and there probably isn't a cubic meter in the shop where there isn't a sign.

Not in their defence, selling loving golliwogs in 2016.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Remember when Jeff Kennet named his gollywog after Buddy Franklin

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Kommando posted:

the corruption was replicated to the second SAN...
That's a big oops.
An RPO of zero could be problematic.

I'll bet the 'corruption' is just some application error, compounded by some panicking support person and the data was replicated as per design - which must have been poo poo to allow this to happen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

An RPO of zero could be problematic.

I'll bet the 'corruption' is just some application error, compounded by some panicking support person and the data was replicated as per design - which must have been poo poo to allow this to happen.

The corruption was probably just because all their tax data was stored in a shared one petabyte multi book excel 2003 spreadsheet full of macros which crashed and they didn't know which version to restore.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Zenithe posted:

In their defence, it's Christmas and there probably isn't a cubic meter in the shop where there isn't a sign.

In their defence, they immediately owned the fuckup instead of saying there was nothing racist about a doll

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Look when I was a little tacker I loved my golliwog! I used to piff my ball at it as hard as I could! It's not racist at all.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Actually Toowoomba.png
Essentially a suburb. :colbert:

So when exactly did the Turdball government jump the shark? What was the moment they stopped having a shred of credibility even among their power base?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The world is going mad, no wait, it has gone mad. People will find any excuse to call out the word racist. I had a Gollywog doll as a kid and loved it, so what if it has different colour skin? If they only made Anglo Saxon dolls others would complain saying "why not make dolls the same colour as us"

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I started working in a pharmacy a few years ago that had gollywogs on the shelves. Shortly after I started an Aboriginal woman sent a letter asking for them to be removed.
In a staff room of about 15 people I was the only one who's response wasn't "I don't get why it's offensive".

Oh also I think we missed the best part of Abbott's BS which is where he accused crossbenchers of being populists (but clarified that Pauline is one of the good ones).

cohsae fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 14, 2016

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Someone should tell them that dog whistles are supposed to be pitched such that only your side can notice them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I don't know how the Donald will recover from this.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

DancingShade posted:

The corruption was probably just because all their tax data was stored in a shared one petabyte multi book excel 2003 spreadsheet full of macros which crashed and they didn't know which version to restore.
Let's be fair. MS Access database.

Worked for a top ten Australian company who did their GST, project accounting, contractor payments and technology service charging from the one Access database.

Scary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

Let's be fair. MS Access database.

Worked for a top ten Australian company who did their GST, project accounting, contractor payments and technology service charging from the one Access database.

Scary.

You can corrupt those with only 2-3 people using them. Access is fuuucked. "I'm editing this entry, nobody else access this entry ok!"

Also Merry Xmas you peasants who dared collect wellfare in some way shape or form to help you through the difficult times in your life https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/14/centrelink-urged-to-stop-collecting-welfare-debts-after-compliance-system-errors

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry I missed this. What the gently caress does the NT have to do with the F-35 boondoggle industry apart from house our US overseers I mean guest military?

Regardless of what planes they fly (lol the F-35 doesn't fly unless the heavens are in alignment) they're still going to buy toilet paper and food so I don't get it.

Off topic so I'll stop but gosh I sure hope nobody discovers low frequency radar because that would just be embarrassing for anyone who paid cash money for one of those stubby winged lemons.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“From a Territory business perspective the Government has made the right decision with the F-35A Strike Fighter project,” Mr Bicknell said.

“The infrastructure spend that flowed with it has delivered a welcomed boost for a number of local businesses.”

The works at RAAF Base Tindal include an F-35A Operational Precinct, upgrades to the on-base warehouse, minor pavement upgrades, counter measure storage and preparation facilities, engineering infrastructure and a range of other works.

“The basing of the fighters in Katherine and Darwin is something the Territory business community is looking forward to,” Mr Bicknell said.

“I think Mr Trump is engaging in his own shop local campaign. I think he’s shopping to win the minds of a parochial local American audience worried about home grown economic issues.”

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

:siren:Disclaimer: I'm not in favour of the F-35:siren:

A really cool hot-take I have is that the cost of the F-35 is now to the point where it's not much more expensive than an F/A-18, and although I can't give you my source, it's a pretty good source.

My observation is that Defence doesn't want to challenge the negative PR regarding the F-35 because you don't want to have the perception of a super-fighter like the F-22. Interestingly, the Russians did this with the MiG-25/MiG-31 and it backfired spectacularly, as the Americans ended up developing a fighter which had the stats of the hyped plane. A practical Australian example in this case is the Collins-class subs, which are actually quite good.

Like I really think we spend our money in the wrong places, and the F-35 is probably one of those places but I hope that this provides like an alternate hot take to the F-35 bad thing.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Zenithe posted:

When I lived in Adelaide there was a Terry White store that stuck their ugly signs all over an old bike and left it chained in a Rundle Mall bike rack.

Space there was always limited, and it made me want to get some bolt cutters and throw their loving bike into the Torrens. gently caress Terry White. Hijacking public utilities for private advertising should be illegal.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

I'll provide an over of my three times I was unemployed for a long period of time.

The first was when I lived in rural Victoria. I'd just graduated from University and there were no jobs suitable for me in my home town. I went on Centrelink and talked with a JSA. The JSA told me that there would be very little work for me out there and that their best advice was for me to move to Melbourne, which I couldn't do as I had no money. The JSA person I spoke to was very good about understanding that I didn't need their services on how to write an essay or whatever, so, I just kept applying for the number of fortnightly jobs (which I want to say was twenty). However, I still had to go in for appointments which was annoying as it required me to drive for twenty-thirty minutes. They did, however, find me a job as a maintenance worker and gardener for a public school. I took it and, all in all, the job was really cool. It helped me grow as a person and I learned a lot of skills and knowledge that I use to this day. The school was incredibly impressed and would have liked to keep me, however, I was only really there to save up enough money to move to Melbourne.

While the JSA was great before I got the job, it became a hassle after I had it. I had to drop what I was doing on some days to go attend interviews that seemed pointless given that I was working. Having to report my income was also a hassle. I acknowledge that I got lucky with a job I enjoyed doing and was good to me.

When I moved to Melbourne, I was unemployed for about 3-4 months. I couldn't find any jobs that were suitable for me, or that I was happy about doing. Eventually, I ended up doing customer service in a call centre. Like the maintenance job, I learned a lot of really useful skills and an appreciation for a lot of people from varied backgrounds. I really liked the job and the managers loved me, so, I kind of regret leaving. I didn't use CL or JSAs because I had enough savings to survive.

I'm currently unemployed and living in rural NSW. There are no jobs here, excepting ones I'm incredibly overqualified for (applying for them gets me nowhere) or I'm incredibly under-qualified for. My SO makes enough to support us without issue and I have some meagre savings for anything I might need. The process has been gruelling and looking through my email inbox is like high school dating - rejection, rejection, rejection. There are many jobs that don't even give me the courtesy of responding at all. All in all, I've been out of work for about eight months and it seems like there are no jobs for young professionals that aren't over an hour away and it feels like I'm vying for jobs around me against anyone from old professionals re-entering the workforce to young kids. I've applied for jobs I have qualifications in (teaching and education) and jobs in which I have years of experience (customer service and sales) as well as ones that I'd just generally be suitable for, or desperate enough to do. And nothing.

It's given me time to write, program and publish an interactive novel, so, that's good - but I'm utterly demoralised and it's eating into every other aspect of my life. I don't need the payments and I'd rather use my time to cook, clean, run errands, and basically househusband around the place, so, I don't have dealings with CL or a JSA. Ultimately, that makes life much easier for me and my partner than whatever meagre payments I'd get. There's a part of me that buys into the stupid rhetoric about being a dole bludger if I take government money and fail to get a job. I can't even imagine the payments would be very helpful at all given that I'm living with my partner who is making a successful living (and how small they were when I was younger) - so, why deal with the appointments and hassle and general feeling that I'm a druggie or lazy failure? Because that's what it feels like when you're on Centrelink.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 14, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I was unemployed for a year or so in NSW. My JSP was useless and Centerlink were painful to deal with. That is after being told I could go and gently caress myself for six months (no support what so ever) for moving to an area with higher unemployment to the one I left. Let that sink in. No support what-so-ever for six months. Once I was on the JSP merry go round I handed in my resume. The JSP oohed and ahhed and asked if they could copy it to be on file as an example for how to write a resume. My first 'mutual obligation' task? A resume writing course. I did how ever get to meet Mathew Geyer at a psych up meeting and did the Aussie Host course. My JSP actively hindered me in every possible way and I routinely went from talking to the 'consultant' to talking to the manager because of the stupidity. I think that by the time I left (self-employed) the manager was basically my 'case worker'. I got some free stationery and poo poo off them other than that utterly worthless useless and a model example of the sort of rent seeking parasite this government encourages.

EDIT - btw this was after being a high level public servant in Canberra for *cough* years.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 14, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

A really cool hot-take I have is that the cost of the F-35 is now to the point where it's not much more expensive than an F/A-18, and although I can't give you my source, it's a pretty good source.
That seems highly dubious, given all the public domain information about the F-35, including Australian government budgeting for program lifecycles costs for the acquisition of the F/A-18E/Fs and the F-35s (let alone the per unit flyaway costs).

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 14, 2016

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The world is going mad, no wait, it has gone mad. People will find any excuse to call out the word racist. I had a Gollywog doll as a kid and loved it, so what if it has different colour skin? If they only made Anglo Saxon dolls others would complain saying "why not make dolls the same colour as us"

It's uniquely Australian I think, you don't get it in the US or UK. Australian's will desperately try and convince you something isn't racist because they're a good person or, more often, it's just a joke.

See: Hey Hey It's Saturday.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So the soup kitchen I volunteer at is now involved in an 18C case about Japan's actions in WW2.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So the soup kitchen I volunteer at is now involved in an 18C case about Japan's actions in WW2.

On which side?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah racism is weird in Australia. A lot of people have a kind of racism that involves complete disdain for other races but without hatred or the kind of malice you see elsewhere (and also within other types of Australian racists). The kind of person who will play Spot The Aussie whenever they go into the city and thinks all sorts of derisive stuff about particular races but isn't really bothered by immigration or working with those races in the workplaces. And because they're not the burning crosses and gas chambers kind of racist they just don't see anything wrong with it. Even to the point where yeah, a lot of them don't even think it's racist to make fun of other races.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On which side?

They put up a statue commemorating comfort women in WW2, some Japanese people aren't happy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also I'd just like to point out those were comments from the Hun.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They put up a statue commemorating comfort women in WW2, some Japanese people aren't happy.

So just a move to keep 18C in the headlines then? Because there's no way that would fall under it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So just a move to keep 18C in the headlines then? Because there's no way that would fall under it.

I think it's a combination of that and a Japanese group who engages in some fairly revisionist history. 730 had a piece on it this evening.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Recoome posted:

My observation is that Defence doesn't want to challenge the negative PR regarding the F-35 because you don't want to have the perception of a super-fighter like the F-22.
I don't think anyone that cares enough would mistake a F-35 for an F-22 to be honest.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

That seems highly dubious, given all the public domain information about the F-35, including Australian government budgeting for program lifecycles costs for the acquisition of the F/A-18E/Fs and the F-35s (let alone the per unit flyaway costs).

Apparently (and allegedly), the cost per unit goes down as time goes on, and previous estimates may have been done under the assumption that the cost would not decrease.

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't think anyone that cares enough would mistake a F-35 for an F-22 to be honest.

And it's a really fair point, and I agree to an extent. I think it's more about the amount/types of information which is readily available regarding the F-35.

Please don't mistake my posting here as cheerleading for DoD spendfests, and I don't want to detract a lot from Les Affaires cool thing, but I thought it'd be interesting to provide that alternate view of the F-35 that I'm aware of (even if I don't agree with it).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Japanese nationalism is a rather frustrating thing. They share a lot with Austraia, namely racism taken for granted.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I actually saw this on the news. This is actually going to be an interesting test of the Racial Discrimination Act, seeing as it covers the actions of Japanese soldiers in WWII where they used child prostitutes or something?

This would be like a bunch of ethnically German neo-nazis telling people to get rid of the Holocaust references because it villifies the German people or something. It's actually a pretty great ploy by a very conservative group of people.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Actually they were 1000 year old demons pretending to be child sex slaves.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Brandis can represent them in court. Can't be too busy otherwise.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually they were 1000 year old demons pretending to be child sex slaves.

This sounds like anime.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This sounds like anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Recoome posted:

I actually saw this on the news. This is actually going to be an interesting test of the Racial Discrimination Act, seeing as it covers the actions of Japanese soldiers in WWII where they used child prostitutes or something?

This would be like a bunch of ethnically German neo-nazis telling people to get rid of the Holocaust references because it villifies the German people or something. It's actually a pretty great ploy by a very conservative group of people.
Yup. I really don't see it getting up (because of 18D etc), but it was a bit of a surprise to see it on the news when I'd been there a few hours earlier.

I might take a few photos next week.

• Locked thread