Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

1 company in GR that works on the game

Are you saying they have a company in Greece? Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine but if you mean Frankfurt, that's in DE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
That reddit thread was great. I love how they still think real developers hit the same problems CIG does, just behind closed doors.

I have never worked on a project that is anything like Star Citizen and thank god for that.

Dear reddit lurkers, Croberts is a talentless hack that missed nearly two decades of industry advancements and best practices yet micromanages his company like he has any loving clue. Literally everything CIG does is done the wrong way and they're working backwards. There is not a single serious studio in the world that would be redoing art assets 3, 4, or 5 times in alpha while still nailing down documents and missing effectively every core feature.

Since Chris does not know modern coding, or design, or how to lead all he does is focus on fidelity but no matter how many polygons you try and fill that gameplay hole with it won't be enough.

But please continue to pledge often and in large amounts, I don't want the show to end.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I'm reminded of that one thread where someone cross-posted one of my effort-posts from here to there and claimed it was a new Goon-based FUD project and then someone else posted it to the Derek Smart stalking subreddit. People were tripping over themselves to argue with it or tell everyone it wasn't worth arguing with. I roll my eyes when we do it here because we should know better but they took it to an honestly impressive level. One guy argued with every single point, possibly because he thought he was arguing with Derek Smart. I know one guy was doing a language analysis to determine if it was Derek or not.

I'm Derek now.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Man I love that a year after launching their so called Alpha, all CIG have managed to add is a couple of ships, the ability to buy pants and one new space-station. The Alpha still doesn't even have one star system and they haven't been able to do monthly patches as they said they would at the start of the year.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

And what happened, then? Well, in Santa Monica they say – that the Crobert's wallet grew three sizes that day. And then – the true meaning of Star Citizen came through, and the Croberts found the strength of ten companies, plus two!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Atreiden posted:

The Alpha still doesn't even have one star system and they haven't been able to do monthly patches as they said they would at the start of the year.

The apologist answer has been they only said they would try to do it. Which is fair enough I guess, but they still failed to achieve it.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Thread is on point with the cute animals. I approve

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Atreiden posted:

Man I love that a year after launching their so called Alpha, all CIG have managed to add is a couple of ships, the ability to buy pants and one new space-station. The Alpha still doesn't even have one star system and they haven't been able to do monthly patches as they said they would at the start of the year.

Well, you see with all the background work on pipelines, items 2.0, persistence, and everything else content should start coming out much faster.

Any day now.

Yup, any day.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Exinos posted:

Well, you see with all the background work on pipelines, items 2.0, persistence, and everything else content should start coming out much faster.

Any day now.

Yup, any day.

Production will really ramp up in 20162017!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Production will really ramp up in 20162017!

What about coding, though?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ArfJason posted:

Alright.
It's cool that av purchases can't be traced thanks to these hack forums code, which allowed whoever found that personal site of mine (which has no links to my username or any of my handles btw, so the only way to find it is to know my real name) to buy IRL pictures of me as an avatar.
You loving weirdos win.

Wow your p ugly

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Ok so serious question about corporate structure.

Any other game developer out there that also uses CIGs model of 10+ different entities conected through an intricate web of ownership and obfuscation? And I'm excluding the massive publishers like EA or Ubi, because they surely have both legitimate as well as illegitimate reasons for having a ton of subsidiaries.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm Derek now.

hello

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
In just one year, they've expanded player count from 0 to 16 and system count from 0 to 1. Now if we extrapolate these percentual improvements,

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

Ok so serious question about corporate structure.

Any other game developer out there that also uses CIGs model of 10+ different entities conected through an intricate web of ownership and obfuscation? And I'm excluding the massive publishers like EA or Ubi, because they surely have both legitimate as well as illegitimate reasons for having a ton of subsidiaries.

Ortwin is a Hollywood lawyer, I bet this stuff is pretty common in the sickening and heartbreaking entertainment industry

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Goddamnit, this scam of a game just pisses me off, I don't see w

D'awww. Thousands of pages later, I see why we have taxes.

The video of it is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpl1fP_1fOw

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hi! How are you?

Oh gently caress I'm doxxing already aren't I? Can I pass this power on to someone else?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

In just one year, they've expanded player count from 0 to 16 and system count from 0 to 1. Now if we extrapolate these percentual improvements,

Honestly if we only count the monthly patches they've managed this all in just five months of production. That's crazy! Technically crazy, if I can steal a little bit of the pizzazz from MoMA.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Ortwin is a Hollywood lawyer, I bet this stuff is pretty common in the sickening and heartbreaking entertainment industry
Making movies unprofitable is basically a Hollywood accountant's job.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hey CIG... Your sound design is rear end. It sounds like a room of obese motherfuckers with chronic flatulence. Much like your studios, but it's still unforgivable.

Here's some tips to crobble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zqpdwBr5w

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It still baffles me that they are STILL loving up the absolute basics in game design. This is poo poo that I, someone who is not a game designer, fully understands.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

ewe2 posted:

Lmao even the mods are getting sick of the screaming.

they better get use to it. It is down hill from here.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Xaerael posted:

It still baffles me that they are STILL loving up the absolute basics in game design. This is poo poo that I, someone who is not a game designer, fully understands.

You clearly don't.........oh hang on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I'm not sure where you are getting those 75% figures from. You should check the links. Foundry 42 Ltd and Roberts Space Industries UK Ltd are both owned 100% by Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. RSI UK Ltd only has one share in issue for example.

fuctifino pointed (on my Discord) out that CIG (UK) - the parent company - actually now owns 100% (not 75% as I posted earlier) of both F42 (UK) and RSI (UK). The filing is buried in the 10/15 and 10/13 filings for both companies.

Which means that, just as I had posted awhile back, the execs had sold back their shares to the company, thus taking out a significant amount of wealth from the project. I wrote about this back in my July 2016 blog:

quote:

There are so many holes in this whole thing that the minute I even make public everything I know, I would no doubt have pretty much impeded on-going investigations. So we wait. But while we’re waiting, here’s a nugget. Please ask them if it’s true that: after they founded a studio (Foundry42-UK) to help develop this game, and Chris pulled in his brother and childhood friends in from another company to head it, that less than two years later, another subsidiary (associated with the project) then turned around and bought the company back from those very people. Thus taking out a significant amount of wealth out of the project and putting it into the pockets of those very friends and family. While still paying his brother Erin, what amounts to almost $250K in yearly salary; not including benefits or bonuses – which aren’t disclosed. Aside from this being reported to be almost 3x what he was making at his previous company, it’s also 2x the average for a director in the Manchester region. And in case you forgot, this is a crowd-funded project.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/r3s1Wk5.gifv

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hey thread, its been a long time, glad to see some familiar faces still honourably cataloguing this shitshow.

the last big thing I remember was ticklegate, did CIG continue to top itself at being a shitshow?

e: doing some reading up on it, they still haven't released 2.6 and some star citizens on the forums are excited for 3.0 which they think might come out before new year somehow (i thought this was an old post, but actually nope its from yesterday so they literally think 2 updates in the next 2 weeks is possible or likely for CIG...)

also the "evocati" are under NDA so the PTU now has its own PTU hahaha?

e2: oh, oh no. they're still doing the whole "next update gets the pipeline in place and then the content will just rush forth like sewage from a burst pipe!"... I kinda feel bad for the citizens at this point, nobody deserves this... maybe dickwulf deserves this.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 14, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

nopantsjack posted:

hey thread, its been a long time, glad to see some familiar faces still honourably cataloguing this shitshow.

the last big thing I remember was ticklegate, did CIG continue to top itself at being a shitshow?

e: doing some reading up on it, they still haven't released 2.6 and some star citizens on the forums are excited for 3.0 which they think might come out before new year somehow (i thought this was an old post, but actually nope its from yesterday so they literally think 2 updates in the next 2 weeks is possible or likely for CIG...)

e2: oh, oh no. they're still doing the whole "next update gets the pipeline in place and then the content will just rush forth like sewage from a burst pipe!"... I kinda feel bad for the citizens at this point, nobody deserves this... maybe dickwulf deserves this.

Believe it or not, there are actually quite a few who most certainly deserve it. If you choose not to, simply post in reddit with the title of "Why is 2.6 not out yet?" and gauge for yourself.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

nopantsjack posted:

It's pretty awesome that there are Citizens who get excited because CIG will maybe manage to produce a wet fart after an 18-month bean diet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Somebody please give ArfJason his incredibly disturbing old av back

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Whose excited to play some Star Marine today according to their on time internal schedule?

I'm looking at you major tom. I assume you are a proud subscriber.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Yeah the control is "75% or more". In both those cases it is 100% which is more (To confirm, you can check the annual return filings at the same links).

D_Smart posted:

Yes. That's why they are not likely to show it twice. So it's going to be interesting to see how they show it.

I think that it's correct to. You have to consider these as the separate legal identities that they are. If you have a number of businesses buying and selling to each other, you wouldn't net any transactions off. The UK parent company (as part of the consolidated accounts) should disclose them as related party transactions though.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think we're of the same mind on this. Does that make us the antipope of German auditors? Or are we both Smart now? :psyduck:

I did get a D grade in German at GCSE which I think fails me on both counts.

Derek's blog sometime posted:

There are so many holes in this whole thing that the minute I even make public everything I know, I would no doubt have pretty much impeded on-going investigations. So we wait. But while we’re waiting, here’s a nugget. Please ask them if it’s true that: after they founded a studio (Foundry42-UK) to help develop this game, and Chris pulled in his brother and childhood friends in from another company to head it, that less than two years later, another subsidiary (associated with the project) then turned around and bought the company back from those very people. Thus taking out a significant amount of wealth out of the project and putting it into the pockets of those very friends and family. While still paying his brother Erin, what amounts to almost $250K in yearly salary; not including benefits or bonuses – which aren’t disclosed. Aside from this being reported to be almost 3x what he was making at his previous company, it’s also 2x the average for a director in the Manchester region. And in case you forgot, this is a crowd-funded project.

We'll see how much they paid for the company when they file the parent company accounts. The benefits are included in the accounts, though.

I doubt there are any company cars and such in the UK companies though. That would be an American thing, it's very rare to see in a UK company these days. The correct way to handle travel is for a director to own the car personally and then charge the company per mile used. Check out P11D benefits if you are interested (you're not).

shrach fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 14, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Are you saying they have a company in Greece? Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine but if you mean Frankfurt, that's in DE.
I'm american, who cares about eurotrash abbreviations

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
hello

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This is hilarious, they basically expect the Star Citizen NPCs to be the robots from Westworld.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

This is hilarious, they basically expect the Star Citizen NPCs to be the robots from Westworld.
we've also heard this kind of poo poo before from hundreds of games since ultima 2

spoiler: it never works out

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Xaerael posted:

Hey CIG... Your sound design is rear end. It sounds like a room of obese motherfuckers with chronic flatulence. Much like your studios, but it's still unforgivable.

Was literally just thinking that they obviously don't have a sound team

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

2.6 won't come out this year and if it does I will eat my own arse

Live stream it, you'll get more views than anything sc ever produced.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Xaerael posted:

I tried to think about CIG doing something as well as Blizzard does but then I started laughing and didn't stop until I was dead.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mandatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAcsrmyePs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

I tried to think about CIG doing something as well as Blizzard does but then I started laughing and didn't stop until I was dead.

Rockstar might be able to come close.