Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cheetah7071 posted:

If there aren't going to be any races which prefer specific weapons, then just merge all the weaponskills together

Don't do this though, I love merfolk and high elves

one thing you can use weapon skills for is to push species to use weapons which they might not otherwise bother with; e.g. halflings' axe options are not very good, so why not give them good apts so that there's a reason to sometimes use em?

sort of the opposite of the traditional philosophy for weapon skills, but potentially more interesting.

however, the actual answer to your question is that it's good to make characters decide what weapons they're going to use and invest in them, just like spell schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Centaurs are basically just minotaurs that run fast and kobold is a spriggan without an eating disorder, please remove

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

one thing you can use weapon skills for is to push species to use weapons which they might not otherwise bother with; e.g. halflings' axe options are not very good, so why not give them good apts so that there's a reason to sometimes use em?

sort of the opposite of the traditional philosophy for weapon skills, but potentially more interesting.

however, the actual answer to your question is that it's good to make characters decide what weapons they're going to use and invest in them, just like spell schools.

In the few minutes since I made that post I actually thought about it a bit and I'm now actually moderately in support of merging weaponskills (and giving some races an innate bonus to certain weapons? Like merfolk having an innate mut "you deal somewhat more damage with polearms").

The difference I see between weaponskills and spellskills is that training a new branch of magic doesn't negate my old training. If I have fireball castable, and train up freezing cloud, I can still cast both (and likely will)--the investment in fire was still meaningful. If I train up to 14 LB for a scimitar, then switch to M&F because I find a bitching randart, that 14 LB is essentially wasted now. The decision of whether switching is worth it may be interesting, but it certainly isn't fun--either I feel bad for "wasting" a bunch of experience, or I feel bad for not being able to use the cool thing I found on the ground.

If for some reason it would really be terrible for people to regularly switch weapon types, have it drain you when you switch them (possibly only when you switch between melee types so you can still switch freely between melee and ranged?), flavored as you needing some time to get used to your new weapon.

I assume melee and ranged would remain different skills under this system. I have no idea what would happen to throwing/UC.

In conclusion, bring back high elves, mountain dwarves, and coastal crabs

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Centaurs are basically just minotaurs that run fast and kobold is a spriggan without an eating disorder, please remove

Got those somewhat wrong: the centaurs are the worse spriggans (and so are felids, but I like felids better than spriggans because I despise spriggans), and kobolds are shittier trolls.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
felid is the only race i tried a handful of times and then decided to never ever come back to again. very unique!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rchandra posted:

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres
This is an awful change.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey can we put High Elves back in and remove Tengus instead because they are loving awful by comparison.
Tengus are awesome and I will fight you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Or better yet, remove neither.
This is the right answer.

Edit: poo poo, I could have been happy at leaving maces at +1. Ogres are a hard enough start with no armor and bad dodging without taking away the ability to get a great club up and going so you can use offense as a defense.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 14, 2016

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Do people actually change weapons based on randarts past Lair? Even with crosstraining, the investment to get any good 2H weapon to mindelay is huge. It's a big sacrifice to your other skills to switch weapons. I just make do with what I find.

I think racial weapon affinities are fun because they encourage a specific playstyle, but they don't mandate it. Maybe you want polearms on your HO of Yred, even though axes are less investment. If you want to play a stealthy or hybrid archer, your options are just shittier with High Elves gone. Tengu lose -2 Bows, -4 Charms, -3 Hexes, etc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are there boggarts in my Lair

World Famous W posted:

Tengus are certainly unique but I'd rather them be removed than HE simply because elves are more fun for me to play. Tengus feel a lot less flexible when it comes to the kind of stuff I want to do. Their apts are so different there's no reason for either to be removed though.

brainwrinkle posted:

Do people actually change weapons based on randarts past Lair? Even with crosstraining, the investment to get any good 2H weapon to mindelay is huge. It's a big sacrifice to your other skills to switch weapons. I just make do with what I find.

I've done it before if I found an exceptionally good weapon. Cross-training makes it a lot easier to do this. Also, the amount of exp to raise a skill the first 10 levels is WAY less than to go from 10 to 20, and even more past that. Swapping at that point will make things more difficult in the short term, but not matter much in the long run.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 14, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Deep Elves only works as a name if they have something to compare to, so I suggest we make Shallow Elves, who are only able to use the most popular weapons and only cast spells if they see another unique casting that spell (because then they know it's cool)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Deep Elves only works as a name if they have something to compare to, so I suggest we make Shallow Elves, who are only able to use the most popular weapons and only cast spells if they see another unique casting that spell (because then they know it's cool)

we already have deep dwarves, tho. they're pals

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's a deep dwarf? I've never seen one in the dungeon. I saw a strange short little man named Jorgrun but he didn't appear to be any race you could play as.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

PleasingFungus posted:

we already have deep dwarves, tho. they're pals

FR: Rename Tengu to Deep Tengu, then 'deep' can mean 'survived the dev team'

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
you'll look awful silly when i... remove deep dwarves

'whisper farewell as you leave, Shadow Gimli'

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Dark Gimli. Nega-Gimli

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Please make reverse nagas who can use boots but can't read scrolls because they can't speak

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hey with High Elves gone and only Deep Elves left, you can change the Elven Halls into the Deep Pits and fill it with the Dwarf enemies as well.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

When will formicids get their translocations apt buffed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
With the inclusion of beckoning they actually have a reason to invest in that school.

Beckoning is really loving useful.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
RIP wand acquirement.

quote:

Merge wand and misc acquirement

into "Evocables".

Distribution is 1/8 chance of getting a rod, else coinflip for wand or
misc evocable. This maybe needs further adjustment.
In practice it won't affect much, because acquirement loved giving you a wand of flame when your only un-ided wands were Haste and HW. :v:

World Famous W posted:

Tengu are awesome if you like dying to a stiff breeze while using the worst early game school of magic. (Or pure conjurations, but if you're going to do that, why not just play DE?)

Obviously HE needs to come back with the name Tengu, so we can have a good race without the Tolkien reference.

PleasingFungus posted:

you'll look awful silly when i... remove deep dwarves

'whisper farewell as you leave, Shadow Gimli'
DD is boring as poo poo, so I don't think they'd be missed.

Obvious replacement: Wiglaf race. Your innate racial power is a perma-hat(fashion++).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

code:
Welcome, taqueso the Octopode Assassin.
Will you prevail where others failed? Will you find the Orb of Zot?
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
Found a large opal ring.
Found a staircase leading out of the dungeon.
A goblin comes into view. It is wielding a dagger.
You see here a large opal ring.
g - a large opal ring
Put on which piece of jewellery? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
g - a +6 ring of protection (left tentacle)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Haifisch posted:

Tengu are awesome if you like dying to a stiff breeze while using the worst early game school of magic. (Or pure conjurations, but if you're going to do that, why not just play DE?)
DEs don't get flying with a speed and evasion boost on top.

Tengus also ain't an elf, which is always a plus.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Haifisch posted:

RIP wand acquirement.

In practice it won't affect much, because acquirement loved giving you a wand of flame when your only un-ided wands were Haste and HW. :v:

This actually sucks. I used wand acquirement a lot because it had a decent chance of giving you heal wounds or teleport. I'd never want to get a loving rod instead of one of those given I barely ever use evocations.

quote:

DD is boring as poo poo, so I don't think they'd be missed.

Obvious replacement: Wiglaf race. Your innate racial power is a perma-hat(fashion++).

I'd say DD should stay as a historic example about how to not design a race.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

Edit: poo poo, I could have been happy at leaving maces at +1. Ogres are a hard enough start with no armor and bad dodging without taking away the ability to get a great club up and going so you can use offense as a defense.

This. Race is absolutely crippled for melee now. Offense was their defense, having a big hp pool and being able to kill poo poo before it could erode it.

Microcline posted:

As a relatively new player, can someone explain the appeal of sludge elves? I looked at their apts and I can't tell how they're not just mermaids with an OC donut steel name.

+3 transmut. The reason to play a sludge elf was to be a SeSt and train transmute using fulsome distillation and evaporate to trivialize the early game with meph and poison clouds (and if you got lucky, miasma from potions of decay) until you found more transmute spells. For example, you could pretty much clear the Hive with a pile of potions of poison and strong poison.

20.0 isn't special. This vigesimal generation, like usual, thinks they are the first one to see things removed.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Race idea: Kirby Slimes. Corrosive branded unarmed, can't wield weapons, CAN wear armor and jewelry but it is automatically melded. No hp regen, has to eat items for sustenance and healing. Can change forms and gain temporary powers based on the last few things it's eaten. Form changes can cause armor and jewelry to unmeld.

No orb run, your goal is to eat the orb. This takes 100 turns and when you are done an exit appears. Either that or eating the orb gives you an OOF form.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

82623 InternetKraken the Nimble (level 15, -1/107 HPs)
Began as a High Elf Venom Mage on Dec 14, 2016.
Was a High Priest of Ru.
Slain by an orc sorcerer
... wielding a +0 dagger
(3 damage)
... while paralysed by an orc sorcerer
... on level 2 of the Orcish Mines.

I really loving hate paralysis. Went from full health to dead because of one loving sorcerer.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

PleasingFungus posted:

Dark Gimli. Nega-Gimli
Ilmig

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

taqueso posted:

code:
Welcome, taqueso the Octopode Assassin.
Will you prevail where others failed? Will you find the Orb of Zot?
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.
Found a large opal ring.
Found a staircase leading out of the dungeon.
A goblin comes into view. It is wielding a dagger.
You see here a large opal ring.
g - a large opal ring
Put on which piece of jewellery? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
g - a +6 ring of protection (left tentacle)

Orc Wizard with wand of lightning on D3

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

World Famous W posted:

This is an awful change.
How? It makes investing into magic much easier as Og while making weapon choice very slightly less of a no brainer.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I don't get the argument for cutting high elves. Someone doesn't like tolkien? They do some stuff other races do? What? Someone articulate this in a way so that it doesn't sound like whoever did it is saying "I never play them, therefore they must go."

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

IronicDongz posted:

How? It makes investing into magic much easier as Og while making weapon choice very slightly less of a no brainer.

See my post about offense as defense on an ogre. You won't have any real AC for awhile unless you luck into a dragon armour or good AC ring. You can buff up your HP with fighting but that only goes so far when your evasion sucks and each hit is not being reduced by armour. Your best defense is being able to get maces to about 12 early on so you can one or two hit most things with a big piss off stick before they kill you in four hits. The magic apt buff helps a little, but that is delaying the club again which, well, sucks.

Overall, it will make ogres a better end game race at the cost of an even harder start. And seeing as ogres were already powerful end game I don't see a point.

Also, weapon choice is still no brainer seeing as almost all ogres are still going to aim for gsc.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
I'm torn whether the reactions to HE removal are more far out here over the tavern. I guess here it's more ... awful :)

The future of DCSS: all the cool guys dead, only rubbish left to roam the dungeons! Let's see how long the Deep Elf kicks around.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Shoulda seen it coming when they removed MD.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

World Famous W posted:

See my post about offense as defense on an ogre. You won't have any real AC for awhile unless you luck into a dragon armour or good AC ring. You can buff up your HP with fighting but that only goes so far when your evasion sucks and each hit is not being reduced by armour. Your best defense is being able to get maces to about 12 early on so you can one or two hit most things with a big piss off stick before they kill you in four hits. The magic apt buff helps a little, but that is delaying the club again which, well, sucks.

Overall, it will make ogres a better end game race at the cost of an even harder start. And seeing as ogres were already powerful end game I don't see a point.

Also, weapon choice is still no brainer seeing as almost all ogres are still going to aim for gsc.
An ogre magic start is now awesome, though. You're a spellcaster with tolerable stats/apts and awesome HP, ogre FE/IE are really good now.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

dpeg posted:

I'm torn whether the reactions to HE removal are more far out here over the tavern. I guess here it's more ... awful :)

The future of DCSS: all the cool guys dead, only rubbish left to roam the dungeons! Let's see how long the Deep Elf kicks around.

dpeg for the love of CHRIST please turn deep elves into deep crabs at this point im starting to worry you're not following our excellent suggestions

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm pretty sure Humans are a better HE equivalent if you want to play an archer with support magic. Remove humans instead - they're generic and drawn from Tolkien lore.

Seriously, Tengu Hexes are -3 and Charms are -2. Besides "they can use bows and air magic" I really don't see the overlap. Play styles between the two are pretty different.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
HE always seemed to me to be the melee with buffs race. The combination of good combat apts and good charms mean they get to buffing much quicker.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's not that many buffs in the game anymore though outside of the skald book(and for good reason). Charms is basically just repel, spectral weapon, ozo's and regen.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

There's not that many buffs in the game anymore though outside of the skald book(and for good reason). Charms is basically just repel, spectral weapon, ozo's and regen.

Whats the good reason?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
charms like stoneskin, phaseshift, and the 10 billion different brand spells were really annoying to use because it was a good idea to just keep them active all the time, which meant recasting them constantly(and in the end the end up basically like equipment, but in spell slots). ozo's is still kind of problematic after the reform because the downside is generally not meaningful and regen could do with a retool as well(probably to function like Powered by Death)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah, so its the HOM argument?

• Locked thread