Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

fnordcircle posted:

Yeah the Dragon and Eagle are super overwhelming. The only time the eagles were useful for me was when I was playing on small unit sizes without realizing it. 4 of them dive bombing Morghur sure works well when he's at like, 1k max health or whatever it was.

Treemans, Treekin, Archers, Waystalkers, healy spellslinger and some Glade Guard were basically the only things I used much in either campaign.

Did you play as Orion or something? I could see their Amber cost being prohibitive.

Dragons aren't absurdly expensive, are quite fast, fly, cause terror, and have big piles of HP in a faction with Lore of Life access. They absolutely destroy the chaff armies you fight a lot of in the GC, (beastmen!) and with a dedicated healer are absurd. My Durthu game ended with 3-5 dragons in every stack to rear charge/attack archers/siege weaponry while tree kin held the line.

Maybe that matters less when you're playing with higher difficulty battle AI but without absurd leadership bonuses forest dragons chain rout lines pretty well!

Though I will admit my 1 treelord/1 branchwraith/18 treeman gimmick army to wrap up my campaign was probably the funniest poo poo I've seen in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

2 SPOOKY posted:

Though I will admit my 1 treelord/1 branchwraith/18 treeman gimmick army to wrap up my campaign was probably the funniest poo poo I've seen in this game.
I'm slowly building one of these with confederated Durthu's army, using Dryads until I get free Amber. Eventually hes just going to go march across the North.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Ravenfood posted:

I'm slowly building one of these with confederated Durthu's army, using Dryads until I get free Amber. Eventually hes just going to go march across the North.

It's super funny. I razed Castle Drakenhof with that stack vs. the full garrison, a half stack of entirely heroes and ROR, and a third stack of elite VC Units led by manny. Point, click two gates, grab a beer, and cast earths blood on cooldown and laaaugh.

That was my victory lap after chaos petered out and all that was left was Defense of the Oak.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Wood Elf archer armies are going to be hilarious with the range buff. 200+ range missile infantry? Yes, please.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

Wood Elf archer armies are going to be hilarious with the range buff. 200+ range missile infantry? Yes, please.

what range buff. the glad lord?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

stopgap1 posted:

They're toying with buffing all Welfs with +20 range.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

stopgap1 posted:

Latest beta patch gives all WE foot archers +20 range.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any tips for starting out as Beastmen? Been a while since I last played and it was as Empire.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Only the most elite units cost amber

There we are.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Installed. So installed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this a good expansion?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, Welfs are cool and play differently from literally anyone else.

They're also not overpowered, and the elf units are probably getting a bit of a tune up in the next patch which is nice. They're still pretty good and throwing masses of Treekin at people works hilariously well currently anyways.

Also their animations are all great.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

If you like the way welfs play you'll like it. I'm on the fence leaning towards dislike but that has more to do with personal preference re:campaign mechanics and unit roster than it does any perceived lack of quality. In retrospect I wouldn't buy an expansion with Chaos as they are now, for example. I think Beastmen were just a little too good and that spoiled me.

On the plus side this expansion comes with a rad new Beastmen LL so everyone wins.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Why would one pick Wildwood Rangers over Asrai Spears? They seem to fill the same niche but the former are way more expensive and lack the innate 20% physical resistance the latter have. Is that a bug?

I notice that my Rangers tend to get more kills but they're usually extremely well supported.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Why would one pick Wildwood Rangers over Asrai Spears? They seem to fill the same niche but the former are way more expensive and lack the innate 20% physical resistance the latter have. Is that a bug?

I notice that my Rangers tend to get more kills but they're usually extremely well supported.

There was an effortpost a bit back that they do considerably better against heavy infantry.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Still noticing that Orion absolutely won't use his bow in combat. Anyone else encounter this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Deified Data posted:

Still noticing that Orion absolutely won't use his bow in combat. Anyone else encounter this?

Make sure he has a clear poo poo. You can mouse over and if it says 'obstructed' he won't shoot.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Panfilo posted:

Make sure he has a clear poo poo. You can mouse over and if it says 'obstructed' he won't shoot.

Quoting this before you can get an edit in.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe there is a fig or spinach ent that he could cop some roughage from.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

It is good, yes.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 14, 2016

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Wood Elves are hilariously good with the beta patch. Glade Guard and Waywatchers with 202 range are both so stupidly good.

Deified Data posted:

He doesn't use the bow, his ranged attack is him throwing spears. It's a decent attack, but you're generally better off just sending him into melee where he murders everything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God I hope the range thing goes live.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dandywalken posted:

God I hope the range thing goes live.

It's too much imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wow, once you get going with Wood Elves you just don't stop. I struggled until I got the Oak to T3 and it was basically a victory romp from there. Confederated all of the other elves ASAP, exploded through Brettonia, vassaled Bourdeloux just because I could, then decided to try to see if I could save Kraka Drak and Kislev., so marched one army through the Empire towards Erengrad and other through Norscan lands from westernmost settlement. Chaos shows up right as I get there and Archaeon gets a spear thrown into his face. The rest of the world gave me all of their Amber in gratitude and then had a hilarious final battle slaughter against Morghur et al. I think I lost roughly 60 elves total in that last fight. Wardancers are ridiculously effective and stylish, while shielded Wild Riders were probably the star unit of the campaign, regularly racking up 200+ kills per battle per unit and triggering chain routs. I almost never fought any Dwarves, but I think they'd be a rough matchup for the Wood Elves. Chaos would have been if they had any ranged units besides Hellcannon and didn't constantly abandon them to chase after my Waywatchers. I like how while the elves don't have any walled settlements, they did go out of their way to give them very helpful battlemaps for the defense (though a few more would be nice). I pulled off some hilarious bullshit thanks to those cliffs and forest hills.

Time to go retry the minicampaign now that I have a better handle on the Wood Elves in general. For Glade Lords, obviously you focus on the red melee line ASAP, but did people find going down Orion's melee or ranged yellow line more effective? In general, I built almost all of my lords with a melee red line and ranged yellow line for more Anath Raemas to toss about, which seemed to work pretty well all around.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

Wood Elves are hilariously good with the beta patch. Glade Guard and Waywatchers with 202 range are both so stupidly good.

Now imagine if you modded it so that waywatchers have snipe (the thing that allows waystalkers to remain hidden whilst shooting)... I'm considering doing that (assuming such a mod exists) just to see how hilarious it would be.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

Wow, once you get going with Wood Elves you just don't stop. I struggled until I got the Oak to T3 and it was basically a victory romp from there. Confederated all of the other elves ASAP, exploded through Brettonia, vassaled Bourdeloux just because I could, then decided to try to see if I could save Kraka Drak and Kislev., so marched one army through the Empire towards Erengrad and other through Norscan lands from westernmost settlement. Chaos shows up right as I get there and Archaeon gets a spear thrown into his face. The rest of the world gave me all of their Amber in gratitude and then had a hilarious final battle slaughter against Morghur et al. I think I lost roughly 60 elves total in that last fight. Wardancers are ridiculously effective and stylish, while shielded Wild Riders were probably the star unit of the campaign, regularly racking up 200+ kills per battle per unit and triggering chain routs. I almost never fought any Dwarves, but I think they'd be a rough matchup for the Wood Elves. Chaos would have been if they had any ranged units besides Hellcannon and didn't constantly abandon them to chase after my Waywatchers. I like how while the elves don't have any walled settlements, they did go out of their way to give them very helpful battlemaps for the defense (though a few more would be nice). I pulled off some hilarious bullshit thanks to those cliffs and forest hills.

Time to go retry the minicampaign now that I have a better handle on the Wood Elves in general. For Glade Lords, obviously you focus on the red melee line ASAP, but did people find going down Orion's melee or ranged yellow line more effective? In general, I built almost all of my lords with a melee red line and ranged yellow line for more Anath Raemas to toss about, which seemed to work pretty well all around.

Any of the three AP infantry units do well against dwarfs once you've teched up a bit. Asrai Spears and Wildwood Rangers (pre-patch) chewed up a bunch of Longbeards for me, and I imagine with the proper setup Eternal Guard would do the same.

I still really like my ranged army buffs Glade Lord on a horse, with his gang of Glade Riders and mounted Spellsinger bodyguard. He did get the Helm of Discord pretty early, though. That thing seems nuts.

Next campaign I won't be disbanding Orion's starter Hawk Riders after seeing what the garrison ones can do. Amber be damned, they're worth it.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Deified Data posted:

He doesn't use his bow at all. He chucks his spear instead.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

For me their snowbally nature made the game a bit dull. In my game apart from occasionally loving with Karak Norn or Crooked Moon there were basically no nearby towns I could economically expand into. I ended up mostly turtling for the first couple dozen turns, then getting treekin (which are way too good for their cost), taking the wood elf provinces and then making GBS threads on everything else on the map until I got bored and quit. Total War in general tends to have a declining difficulty curve but the WE campaign seems to skip the fun early game where you have balanced small-scale, low tech battles with the AI (basically because of their starting position and fragile melee), then there's very little mid-game because once you get treekin nothing can stand up to you. I found their campaign approximately as shite as Chaos. Maybe after the unit rebalances and the mods catch up it will be worth replaying, but meh.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
what difficulty are you playing on? because that hasn't been my experience at all with WE. I pretty consistently have different beastmen factions, brettonians, estalia/tilea, and sometimes crooked moon trying to gently caress around in the forest from the beginning and there are plenty of early fights. if you want, you can declare on the other elves and clan angrund too and have arguably the most variety of enemies to fight in the early game than any other faction.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 14, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wiegieman posted:

I don't really care what CA says about the Quarreller/WElf Archer matchup, the loving dwarfs shouldn't have been winning an archer duel with the archer race. Giving the fire on the move archers more range to kite the stunties is where they should have been in the first place.

WE are not the "archer" race. They're the "hard-hitting, fragile forest guerilla with living tree backup" race. WE archers are surgical harassers meant to soften up high-value targets with their various special arrows, not try and shoot it out with enemy missile units like napoleonic line infantry. Quarrelers don't win in a matchup because they're better shots, they win because they're tougher, better armored and are firing back hefty crossbow bolts instead of arrows. The elves hit more, but he dwarves hit harder and can take hits better.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Basic WE archers outshoot most other basic ranged infantry (empire crossbows etc), they're fine as they are, it just serves to highlight how OP Quarrellers are; armoured, shielded, powerful accurate ranged troops who are decent in melee too, at Tier 1 and low cost. There's no downside.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 14, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

wiegieman posted:

I don't really care what CA says about the Quarreller/WElf Archer matchup, the loving dwarfs shouldn't have been winning an archer duel with the archer race. Giving the fire on the move archers more range to kite the stunties is where they should have been in the first place.

I've been told Quarrelers usually win that match in tabletop too, so...

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Basic WE archers outshoot most other basic ranged infantry (empire crossbows etc), they're fine as they are, it just serves to highlight how OP Quarrellers are; armoured, shielded, powerful accurate ranged troops who are decent in melee too, at Tier 1 and low cost. There's no downside.

Dwarves need that though. If they couldn't win every shooting battle, they'd get picked apart every time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, having the best ranged gunline is basically all they have without broad access to magic or fast attack units. Campaign-wise, once you get some of the campaign buffs rolling on Wood Elves and you have 72 armor, mid-high 40s offense and mid 50 defense on a unit with silver shields and armor piercing, your glade guard will comically roll warriors and even longbeards with ease unless they are rolling a lot of great weapons. The Quarreler/thunderer vs elf archer matchup is basically all they have left at that point to try and carry them.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Game worth buying without all the DLC, or do you need the addons to make the game actually good?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Eternal guard are halberds with shields who get huge buffs from their lord and are t1. oh and can be healed like undead. wild riders are even more stupid and effective. who cares about quarellers

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chair In A Basket posted:

Game worth buying without all the DLC, or do you need the addons to make the game actually good?

The game is fantastic as-is.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Game worth buying without all the DLC

Yes. The base game is complete and fun. DLC unlocks additional factions, units and lords. There are four very distinct playable factions in the base game with 2 lords each, plenty of content for several playthroughs without touching DLC.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

I spent something like 150-200 hours before the first major DLC came out so.... yes? Infact, base game is even better now with all the FLC they've tacked on as well.

Its not minor things either, a subfaction, several new heroes and two legendary lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It is worth it without the DLC. In fact have a discount code:

ZVHE2-F6ARD-J4Q5H

• Locked thread