Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sorry but abuela did nothing wrong it was those russians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Baloogan's interests include: strife,

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Everyone always talks about how they want the government run like a business but then when someone puts out of touch assholes in charge of people smarter than them and forces them to do stupid poo poo what do they do?

E: I want an interview with some poor bastards campaign volunteers in Michigan who bought Chillary koozies in March and are right now trying to pool money for bus fare so one of them can go to NY and scalp Robbie Mook.

Bushiz has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Dec 14, 2016

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Baloogan's interests include: strife,

what's Baloogan's favorite anime

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Legend of Galactic Heroes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:lol: The thing was run by D&D posters.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Joementum posted:

Post this on every page of those d&d threads

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What the gently caress did the campaign do if not hand out literature? Did all the money go to the Twitter team?

"State officials were banned from speaking directly to anyone at the DNC in Washington." :psyduck:

Aurubin has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Dec 14, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Remember the good old days when everyone knew that Trump had no ground game, Trump was spending time and money in lost cause states, Trump didn't have the savvy to get his ads on the air in the right times and places

And her people will be kept on because of loyalty and reasons and this will happen again

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the entire campaign from top to bottom was playing dwarf fortress

now they are playing liberal crime squad

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hillary clinton betrayed by a faulty computer... again!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Aurubin posted:

What the gently caress did the campaign do if not hand out literature? Did all the money go to the Twitter team?

And arguing with Bernie supporters online.

CubsWoo posted:

Remember the good old days when everyone knew that Trump had no ground game, Trump was spending time and money in lost cause states, Trump didn't have the savvy to get his ads on the air in the right times and places

And her people will be kept on because of loyalty and reasons and this will happen again

It's not that Trump didn't run a bad joke of a campaign (he did), but somehow, defying any explanation, Clinton managed to run one even worse.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Joementum posted:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

edit: jfc

"Then again, according to senior people in Brooklyn, Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook never heard any of those complaints directly from anyone on his state teams before Election Day."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If Mook somehow ever runs another campaign, there truly is no justice in this world.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

Everybody could see Hillary Clinton was cooked in Iowa. So when, a week-and-a-half out, the Service Employees International Union started hearing anxiety out of Michigan, union officials decided to reroute their volunteers, giving a desperate team on the ground around Detroit some hope.

They started prepping meals and organizing hotel rooms.

SEIU — which had wanted to go to Michigan from the beginning, but been ordered not to — dialed Clinton’s top campaign aides to tell them about the new plan. According to several people familiar with the call, Brooklyn was furious.

Turn that bus around, the Clinton team ordered SEIU. Those volunteers needed to stay in Iowa to fool Donald Trump into competing there, not drive to Michigan, where the Democrat’s models projected a 5-point win through the morning of Election Day.

Michigan organizers were shocked. It was the latest case of Brooklyn ignoring on-the-ground intel and pleas for help in a race that they felt slipping away at the end...

RUSSIA!!!! :argh: hacks!

quote:

Clinton never even stopped by a United Auto Workers union hall in Michigan, though a person involved with the campaign noted bitterly that the UAW flaked on GOTV commitments in the final days, and that AFSCME never even made any, despite months of appeals.

The anecdotes are different but the narrative is the same across battlegrounds, where Democratic operatives lament a one-size-fits-all approach drawn entirely from pre-selected data — operatives spit out “the model, the model,” as they complain about it — guiding Mook’s decisions on field, television, everything else. That’s the same data operation, of course, that predicted Clinton would win the Iowa caucuses by 6 percentage points (she scraped by with two-tenths of a point), and that predicted she’d beat Bernie Sanders in Michigan (he won by 1.5 points).

“I’ve never seen a campaign like this,” said Virgie Rollins, a Democratic National Committee member and longtime political hand in Michigan who described months of failed attempts to get attention to the collapse she was watching unfold in slow-motion among women and African-American millennials...

rooskies!!!!! ROOOSSSKIES!! :argh:

quote:

Michigan operatives relay stories like one about an older woman in Flint who showed up at a Clinton campaign office, asking for a lawn sign and offering to canvass, being told these were not “scientifically” significant ways of increasing the vote, and leaving, never to return. A crew of building trade workers showed up at another office looking to canvass, but, confused after being told there was no literature to hand out like in most campaigns, also left and never looked back.

“There’s this illusion that the Clinton campaign had a ground game. The deal is that the Clinton campaign could have had a ground game,” said a former Obama operative in Michigan. “They had people in the states who were willing to do stuff. But they didn’t provide people anything to do until GOTV...”

GAH PUTIN NO

quote:

Trump’s last stop of the election was a massive rally in Michigan that went on past midnight, his campaign homing in on Trump’s chances there largely from nervousness it sensed coming out of Brooklyn.

Walking out at the end, Trump turned to his running mate, Mike Pence, almost confused: “This doesn’t feel like second place,” he said, according to a person familiar with the conversation...

lamo

quote:

On the morning of Election Day, internal Clinton campaign numbers had her winning Michigan by 5 points. By 1 p.m., an aide on the ground called headquarters; the voter turnout tracking system they’d built themselves in defiance of orders — Brooklyn had told operatives in the state they didn’t care about those numbers, and specifically told them not to use any resources to get them — showed urban precincts down 25 percent. Maybe they should get worried, the Michigan operatives said.

Nope, they were told. She was going to win by 5. All Brooklyn’s data said so.

In at least one of the war rooms in New York, they’d already started celebratory drinking by the afternoon, according to a person there. Elsewhere, calls quietly went out that day to tell key people to get ready to be asked about joining transition teams.

But an hour-and-a-half after polls closed, Clinton aides began making rushed calls, redrawing paths to 270 through the single electoral vote in Maine and Nebraska. Still assuming wins in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Michigan suddenly looked like the state that was going to decide the presidency.

They scrambled a call with campaign attorney Marc Elias, prepping for a recount in a vote that oddly looked like it would be a narrower win than they had ever prepared for. An hour later, after they hung up, they realized it was over. They could tell by the numbers they were seeing — not the numbers being spewed from their own internal analytics team, but the numbers sitting at the bottom of the TV tuned to CNN. With the recount frozen, Clinton lost Michigan by 10,704 votes.

“I think it’s true, they executed well. I think it’s true that the plan was accomplished,” said a former labor leader in the state. “But the plan was not the right plan.”

RUSSSSSSSSSSSSIAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH hax

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aurubin posted:

If Mook somehow ever runs another campaign, there truly is no justice in this world.

Mook needs to take his 120k and retire somewhere cold lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Unironically :commissar:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

GAH PUTIN NO

lamo

i like this quote without internal quotes

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

"But there also were millions approved for transfer from Clinton’s campaign for use by the DNC — which, under a plan devised by Brazile to drum up urban turnout out of fear that Trump would win the popular vote while losing the electoral vote, got dumped into Chicago and New Orleans, far from anywhere that would have made a difference in the election."

I am Zach the angry staffer.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/809033945492946944

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Baloogan posted:

GAH PUTIN NO

lamo

Even having watched it happen repeatedly now, it continues to blow my mind that Hillary almost insists on having her campaigns run by arrogant cretins who in the face of looming disaster continue to insist that no, it is reality that is wrong.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i had to check m-w because i had "wait doesn't that mean...?" moment

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in fairness he turned out to be pretty important!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

I don't have a link for you but you should definitely watch the whole thing, it is very good

yeah im not sure why people are calling it bad. you're not going to convince all the people on all the issues, but bernie handled himself well. I think more events like this would go a long way.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Have there been a lot of filibusters for actual good causes im having a hard time thinking of any

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/publications/sen-paul%E2%80%99s-great-surveillance-%E2%80%98filibuster%E2%80%99-and-what-expect-next

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

logikv9 posted:

I don't have a link for you but you should definitely watch the whole thing, it is very good

bernie. .... good????

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/808831643012059137

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh hey its page 538

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

hes a very complicated, unusual guy to be sure, and im extremely frustrated by the lack of decent historiography about him. feels like coverage of his life either completely elides over the racial aspects, like his programs that got textbooks to black school children, or totally lionizes him by pretending he wasnt a vicious race-baiter.

i think that modern conceptions of political thought just dont have very good framworks for discussing Huey Long

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

huey was a racist rear end in a top hat. his policies both helped and hurt black people in a variety of ways. yet he was probably better than any other governor for black people in the entire deep south from the 1870s till the 60s, and he was under constant attack because some of his policies didnt in discriminate and benefited black people.

the south was pretty goddamn poo poo.

Abraham Lincoln was also a racist.* We acknowledge this racism as both a character flaw and a product of his time and we feel comfortable looking past it- at least to the extent that we still idealize the man for his character and leadership. It's easy to dismiss Huey as some sort of unreconstructed racist because our world is profoundly different from the one in which he lived. In the context of Southern demagogues Huey was the best there ever was.

It's true that Huey did race-bait occasionally but it's also true that he personally detested doing so. To suggest that racial resentment was the only political tool he used or its use was a common occurrence does a great disservice to the man. Huey was a bitter enemy of the KKK and LA's black people loved him as far as we can tell today given the lack of polling data.

Just lol at the people calling him a traveling salesman.

*:abuela:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

oh hey its page 538

reminder that SHOOK NATE WAS RIGHT

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
get shook stay shook

be never calm

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

get shook stay shook

be never calm

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

those who are shook have seen The Truth and comprehend it beyond the ken of their lessers

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I have said for a while that the Clinton wing could scapegoat voxxers and throw them under the bus I wouldn't even really call them on it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Just lol at the people calling him a traveling salesman.

I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically or not, but he did start out as a traveling salesman, and by all accounts that served him very well later on. Not only did he connect with the common person on a level most politicians don't manage, he also would call out specific names of people at his rallies and banter with them. It was a hell of a trick, and people loved that he seemed to know them personally, not just as voters.

He would say anything to get votes. I remember reading that in northern LA he pandered to the Catholic temperance crowd by railing against alcohol, and then down south along the coast he would sing the praises of liquor.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Prav posted:

i had to check m-w because i had "wait doesn't that mean...?" moment

Robbie, ya mook
\

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Someone print out that article and nail it to the doors of the DNC headquarters, Martin Luther style. Just without the antisemitism.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's not that Trump didn't run a bad joke of a campaign (he did), but somehow, defying any explanation, Clinton managed to run one even worse.

It's vitally important that this is the take away. If the dnc accepts this and responds in trying to get their poo poo together they can come back strong.
I bet Scott Adams and his Godzilla hypnosis bullshit becomes a campaign consultant in 2020 because he was bullish on Trump early and loud. But he and Bill and likely the rest of the gop don't/won't realize that it wasnt that Trump did anything especially correct

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aurubin posted:

Someone print out that article and nail it to the doors of the DNC headquarters, Martin Luther style. Just without the antisemitism.

<THREAD> Out of love for the truth and from desire to elucidate it, the Reverend Father Martin Luther, Master of Arts and Sacred Theology, and ordinary lecturer therein at Wittenberg, intends to offer some game theory... 1/95

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Perhaps also without the constant fart based insults too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Serf posted:

I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically or not, but he did start out as a traveling salesman, and by all accounts that served him very well later on. Not only did he connect with the common person on a level most politicians don't manage, he also would call out specific names of people at his rallies and banter with them. It was a hell of a trick, and people loved that he seemed to know them personally, not just as voters.

He would say anything to get votes. I remember reading that in northern LA he pandered to the Catholic temperance crowd by railing against alcohol, and then down south along the coast he would sing the praises of liquor.

Calling him a traveling salesman seems like a dismissive attack to me. Huey was a traveling salesman for a few years after highschool and he learned a lot about the character of different LA communities during that time. He had a genius for sales, but was also a brilliant and principled lawyer.

• Locked thread