Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
[quote="Neurosis"

Neurosis posted:

Re historical figures being uber in the postscript to the issue with Patton Gillen said he knew he was stretching it to have Patton and Turing be ubers, so I doubt there'll be any more. Wondering if there's anything special about Turing or he just did it for improved endurance so he could grind out more time deciphering the script on the alien object.

I think Gillen references this in the notes for the relevant issue, but I think the short version is that if any historical figure in this story deserves to get superpowers, it's Turing.

Turing ran the code breaking project out of Bletchley Park that arguably won the war for the allies. It was so top secret that often, even when they knew the Germans were going to attack somewhere, the army wouldn't act on the intelligence for fear of tipping off that their codes had been broken. For all the lives that they saved, they had to live with the knowledge that many more deaths could have been prevented and there was nothing they could do to stop them. The project remained classified post-war and Turing was not recognised for his efforts. He was, however, prosecuted for being a homosexual. He opted to be chemically castrated rather than serve time in prison and commuted suicide at the age of 42.

He has since been pardoned. But in short the guy gave up a huge portion of his life to help win the war, and got treated like dogshit in return. I think as far as any character in Uber will be allowed a happy ending, Turing will get something at least resembling one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm familiar with Turing. Given the burdens we see on the Ubers I don't think being made into an Uber in order to facilitate the war effort is really much of a happy ending.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Connellingus posted:

It's a smart take on feminist issues that I'm sure would infuriate ... anyone who uses "social justice warriors" as a pejorative

I like the series because it is interesting and creative. Alienating potential readers is a disservice to the artists/authors. :colbert:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

I'm familiar with Turing. Given the burdens we see on the Ubers I don't think being made into an Uber in order to facilitate the war effort is really much of a happy ending.

Yeah we still don't know what the long term effects of being transformed into a human weapon are, if any. It's pretty clear that the transformation is irreversible, or else they would have shut down Leah and tried again in their attempts to physical stack HMS Churchill with a different approach once they decoded the process that got them Dunkirk. I doubt the long term health problems of having your skin, bones, and organs forced to change and grow under the influence of an alien material are anything slight, especially when you consider what happens when things go wrong.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Action Jacktion posted:

For anyone who remembers it, Young Terrorists #2 comes out this week.

I really enjoyed it. Had to pull out issue 1 before I read it though. Is this continuing or is that the end? I know Black Mask had A LOT of issues going on in the background.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

KidDynamite posted:

I know Black Mask had A LOT of issues going on in the background.

Are they failing financially? I'm reading a couple of their books so it would really suck if they collapsed
:ohdear:

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

XTORT posted:

I like the series because it is interesting and creative. Alienating potential readers is a disservice to the artists/authors. :colbert:
Fair enough. This is perhaps a case of me displaying my own prejudices, because I tend to associate complaints about so-called "SJWs" with people who don't care very much about things like representation and intersectionality, and would thus likely be turned off by the themes of Bitch Planet, but particularly with the back matter. Maybe a better way for me to express that would be to say that the series would give that kind of person some food for thought.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Honestly the back matter is the best part of Bitch Planet by far. I find the comic itself to be pretty scattered.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Idw is bringing the gb2016 women to the Ghostbusters universe in march, most excellent

http://comicsalliance.com/idw-ghostbusters-101-answer-the-call/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lake of Fire is loving badass and over.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lake of Fire is loving badass and over.

I haven't read it yet, but "over"? Like, that's the last issue?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

site posted:

Idw is bringing the gb2016 women to the Ghostbusters universe in march, most excellent

http://comicsalliance.com/idw-ghostbusters-101-answer-the-call/

Stoked!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

IUG posted:

I haven't read it yet, but "over"? Like, that's the last issue?

Miniseries is over, Fairbairn's got to maintain his reign over Colorist Mountain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Miniseries is over, Fairbairn's got to maintain his reign over Colorist Mountain.

I thought the rebel Queen Jordie had dethroned him?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Question: if I want to start collecting Hellboy comics, what's the best way to go about it? I don't really like keeping individual issues around so I'd prefer to get trades and collections wherever possible. Should I just stick to Wikipedia's trade paperback list or is there a more conclusive list elsewhere? Anything else I need to look out for?

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Yeah the Wikipedia list is good. I would buy the library editions if you don't mind the over sized format, each one is 2 normal TPBs in hardcover. After Vol. 4 is when the BPRD comic spins off. If you were more into the supernatural investigation part of Hellboy I would also pick up BPRD at that point. They just finished their second phase (out of three), and I thought it was consistently good to great the whole way through (146 issues so far)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Funkameleon posted:

Yeah the Wikipedia list is good. I would buy the library editions if you don't mind the over sized format, each one is 2 normal TPBs in hardcover. After Vol. 4 is when the BPRD comic spins off. If you were more into the supernatural investigation part of Hellboy I would also pick up BPRD at that point. They just finished their second phase (out of three), and I thought it was consistently good to great the whole way through (146 issues so far)

Awesome, thanks! I do like hardcovers, so I think I'll spring for the library editions. BPRD seems cool too, so I'll give that a look at some point to see if I like it. The artwork looks really good at the very least.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you like Hellboy you will probably like BPRD, and there are 5 hardcover collections of that which include the first major storyline and prequel stuff. After that the next arc was pretty good but I felt the art got shakier to the point of distraction. I think that story ended but I'm not sure how as Hell on Earth didn't seem to have a way "out".

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
There is a definite temporary dip in art quality but I don't think it ever gets outright bad, just kind of serviceable. It does get good again though.

Hell On Earth did end in November, and a final third story phase is planned

Funkameleon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

I thought the rebel Queen Jordie had dethroned him?

Exactly! He's gotta get back to a million projects at a time if he wants the ten pounds of gold.

Spoiler talk for:

Lake of Fire
What was the point of having the girl laser-blast the doorway shut in the face of Old Bastard Knight's last stand in #4 if OBK ends up having a last stand anyway in the very next issue? Still a lovely miniseries, I just felt like the ending was stretched out somewhat.

The Fix
First Captain America is evil, now he kills an adorable, loyal beagle? If Pretzels is truly done for, then gently caress Nick Spencer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Exactly! He's gotta get back to a million projects at a time if he wants the ten pounds of gold.

I like the implication here that Jordie Bellaire is Ric (or maybe Charlotte?) Flair.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not gonna bother bumping my Heavy Metal thread, but this might interest y'all.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/26/where-will-grant-morrison-alex-de-campi-and-bilal-be-hanging-out-next-wednesday/
Alex de Campi is rebooting the movie poster feature and South Park's Major Boobage influence, Taarna, in the next issue.

e: Also, Grant Morrison's Conan Jesus.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 26, 2016

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Chiming in to say Lake of Fire was really good, and wish there were more series that were willing to tell a complete story in 5 issues.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Even if it is literally Aliens but in the Crusades. :allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A preview of the next issue of Über: Invasion and uh...yeah....Hiroshima imagery galore:

http://www.avatarpress.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CBR has a preview of Animosity: The Rise #1, if you want a bunch of panels of animals being assholes.
http://www.cbr.com/animosity-the-rise-1-exclusive-preview/

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

CBR has a preview of Animosity: The Rise #1, if you want a bunch of panels of animals being assholes.
http://www.cbr.com/animosity-the-rise-1-exclusive-preview/

That looks dumb as poo poo

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

The first series is alright, not sure why they are going back to number 1 for a new story arch, that poo poo annoys me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

XTORT posted:

The first series is alright, not sure why they are going back to number 1 for a new story arch, that poo poo annoys me.

Publishers, especially smaller ones, do that to try to get new readers so instead of having a series that's on #26, someone will see a #1 and just jump on. Although if they're doing it by story arc I can't imagine it's very accessible, so I've always wondered how well this actually worked.

I know for the last few years they had the Star Wars license Dark Horse stopped doing ongoing series in favor of the "series of miniseries" format, but for the last year or so went back to having ongoings, so maybe that's the answer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not a new #1, it's a one-shot special. The main series is continuing on.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sigma-X posted:

Its written like somebody edited an existing comic with "hillarious" dialogue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've already complained about this in BSS Chat, but holy gently caress The Unfunnies is the worst thing I have ever read.

How does Millar keep getting work? Like, honest to god, who keeps buying his garbage?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His recent work has been pretty good. Huck, Reborn. I think people like Chrononauts.
As a way to get new Frank Quietly art, Jupiter's Legacy ain't terrible.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's not a new #1, it's a one-shot special. The main series is continuing on.

Good. We need more of that,

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

His recent work has been pretty good. Huck, Reborn. I think people like Chrononauts.
As a way to get new Frank Quietly art, Jupiter's Legacy ain't terrible.

I've gathered that he's kind of had a "what the gently caress have I been doing" moment at some point, but... how do you write something like The Unfunnies without it ending your loving career? Is it literally just because he wrote it for Avatar and nobody cares about Avatar (Uber aside)?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've gathered that he's kind of had a "what the gently caress have I been doing" moment at some point

Nah. He's got more Kick rear end to write.
I don't think he ever reprinted The Unfunnies. It's gotta be about the only one not on Comixology.

Really, check out Huck.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 8, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I read Kim & Kim today and would like some more series with trans characters. Do any good ones exist??

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think he ever reprinted The Unfunnies. It's gotta be about the only one not on Comixology.

...oh wow, you're actually right. It's not in print at all anymore, despite not being all that old, and never even got a TPB. Given that a quick glance at Diamond's figures from the relevant time tells me the first issue sold 10k copies and the second didn't even chart (with 850-ish copies being the cutoff), I have a feeling I'm hardly the only one who thinks it might be literally the worst piece of sequential art ever written.

My evidence for him going "wait what, I kinda hosed up there didn't I" is mostly how he's been getting really angry at the grimdarkness of comic stuff lately, but... coming from Millar that's loving rich, so I dunno.

e: okay, apparently Huck is part of said "getting really angry at grimdarkness" trend, and I'm... morbidly curious.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 8, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

So I read Kim & Kim today and would like some more series with trans characters. Do any good ones exist??

I dunno how good it is, but Alters is about a transgender superhero.
https://www.comixology.com/Alters/comics-series/76418?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

site posted:

Check out Lumberjanes. The character is just one part of an ensemble cast, but she's great (like all the other characters).

In recent Marvel comics, there's Sera, the snarky sidekick/girlfriend of the main character in Angela: Asgard's Assassin and its followup series, Angela: Queen of Hel.

There are also trans characters in The Wicked + The Divine, and I think maybe in Bitch Planet -- not caught up with that.