Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Grem posted:

Of all the urban legends I've heard of surrounding high beams this is by far the stupidest and least realistic one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing#United_States

It seems it's true in some states at least, although it looks like it's a ticket and not arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It looks like the last time anyone was charged with obstruction was 1976, so yea, bullshit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://i.imgur.com/6DrnOYx.mp4

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

ultrabindu posted:

We were also one of the first cities to have a sub surface railway system. Whilst New York shut down their pneumatic transit experiment and started again with an electrified system later, we decided to just keep building on the old underground rail. Our deep lying tube lines still have 120 year old stations and these stations and the trains cannot be fitted with air conditioning something, which any London commuter will tell you, is badly needed in the summer.

Yeah I commute through Goodge Street every day, where they still rely on lifts for platform access. Luckily I only head home from that one, so I just take the (stupidly long) spiral staircase.

Londoners are very bad for tutting at confused tourists who get in the way in tube stations that we use every day, but when you stop and think about how loving complicated and different every single station is, it's really not that surprising.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dude just earned his A-class license.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

gently caress you if you can't find your way through this rats nest on your first try.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

No lie, I'd pay extra for that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gasmask posted:

Yeah I commute through Goodge Street every day, where they still rely on lifts for platform access. Luckily I only head home from that one, so I just take the (stupidly long) spiral staircase.

Londoners are very bad for tutting at confused tourists who get in the way in tube stations that we use every day, but when you stop and think about how loving complicated and different every single station is, it's really not that surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrHRQSm6LIs

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

It's a different kind of transit.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

New Fast and Furious movie lookin good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gasmask posted:

On the other hand, NYC confuses people with its subway because everyone is used to other metros having a "red line" or "blue line" and you just take the correct line. New York is its own mess because it used to be three separate companies (two independent and one run by the city) until 1940 when the two independent companies got bought out and integrated under the city government. Some tracks can't be connected whatsoever because the rival companies didn't even use the same track gauge, so some tunnels are too small for trains built to run on other lines and some stations are too short to fit an entire train from a different line. The city went through constant, seemingly endless changes to its service colors and names over the decades before finally settling (for the most part) in the past decade.

The lines look like they have colors, but they're actually a bunch of different services running on the same set of track and services that share the same pre-merge line are grouped together with the same color. So the A, C, and E trains all have blue rollsigns and sometimes all 3 will arrive at the same station, and their track is listed on maps as blue. But you could be in for a nasty shock if you tried to take a downtown A to the World Trade Center and found yourself zooming past to Fulton Street. Surprise, the World Trade Center station is on a separate branch that only the E is going to, and A and C are heading off toward Brooklyn! You have to look at not only which line you're taking, but also which individual trains stop at that station to make sure you get on the right one. Since not every train on a line stops at every station, you may have to take the "correct line" in the opposite direction from your destination to get to the correct service, or take whatever train is nearest to reach the closest connector.

And it's always changing. They just reintroduced the W service this year, so all the stations where it stops need brand new signs installed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grem posted:

It looks like the last time anyone was charged with obstruction was 1976, so yea, bullshit.

My mother got pulled over for flashing her high beams last year when she was doing it to warn about a car stopped in the middle of the road around a blind corner. So while she may not have been charged, it can happen.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Some tracks can't be connected whatsoever because the rival companies didn't even use the same track gauge, so some tunnels are too small for trains built to run on other lines and some stations are too short to fit an entire train from a different line.

This is no different from the Tube in London.

On the left is the deep lying underground trains, on the right is the 'sub-surface' trains. Neither can run on the rails intended for the other. The sub-surface trains where upgraded to have air conditioning it's currently impossible to do the same for the deep lying trains.

Gasmask posted:

gently caress you if you can't find your way through this rats nest on your first try.

gently caress that so hard.

Data Graham posted:

I could not stop laughing when I saw this

Then you have the godforsaken escalators.
The station I get off for work is Angel station with escalators a length of 60m, and a vertical rise of 27.5m. The longest in western europe.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
"Comcast repairman doesn't give a drat that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I could not stop laughing when I saw this

Taking the stairs there is fun because they are a very wide endless spiral and as you ascend you will end up with a climbing buddy going at the same pace as you and passing occasional climbers who have failed in their attempt.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Bogatyr posted:

"Comcast repairman doesn't give a drat that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck"

This is fine.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love that this is the southern equivalent of spitting in someone's face.

I've always thought of it as a really laid back "go gently caress yourself". Pretty much the same thing but just a liiiittle different.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ultrabindu posted:

Then you have the godforsaken escalators.
The station I get off for work is Angel station with escalators a length of 60m, and a vertical rise of 27.5m. The longest in western europe.

There have to be longer ones than 60 m here in Stockholm.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

chitoryu12 posted:

:words: about NYC transit
When I first moved here (NYC,) from Boston, this poo poo blew my loving mind.
In my opinion, you have really unlocked and begun to really understand the city when you can take the subway pretty much anywhere w/o having to refer to your phone or map. I remember when I finally got to that point, and I sort of thought "I've finally made it here."

I mean, I still loving hate this horrible place, but whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

betterinsodapop posted:

When I first moved here (NYC,) from Boston, this poo poo blew my loving mind.
In my opinion, you have really unlocked and begun to really understand the city when you can take the subway pretty much anywhere w/o having to refer to your phone or map. I remember when I finally got to that point, and I sort of thought "I've finally made it here."

I still get a weird thrill from being able to give directions to out-of-towners (inevitably families stuck in Times Square trying to find the WTC).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I still get a weird thrill from being able to give directions to out-of-towners (inevitably families stuck in Times Square trying to find the WTC).

You'd think seeing "World Trade Center" on the E train signs would point them in the right direction.

Then again, I always see the same stereotype of someone with a backpack and tourist's guide map falling over on the subway when it lurches out of the station.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, but little do they know that just because they went down to the E platform doesn't mean they might not get on an A or C train by mistake if they're not careful; nor do they know that A and C will take them to within a stone's throw of the WTC anyway, and so will the 1-2-3 :v:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bogatyr posted:

As a former ATT Uverse installer I can guarantee those field techs could not give a gently caress less about that situation. Utility companies as big as that are set up like the military with all the rules and regs and policies they have to follow, and as long as they're good on whatever Comcast's safety policies are the rest of the world can burn to the ground around them.

40mph road? That's 4 cones, spaced this many feet apart extending from the back of the company vehicle. DONE. People sliding off into ditches? That sounds like a people who slid off the road into a ditch problem to me. Comcast has met all required safety regs and cannot be held liable bla bla bla.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want a really godawful subway map, here's a section of one from the 1970s.

They gave every single service its own individual color and used double letters for some of them. They also repeatedly changed which letters applied to which services, so good luck remembering to catch a D to work when it changed to a G a few months ago.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Sounds like a catching a D to work when it changed to a G a few months ago problem to me.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lol if you can't catch a D on your way home

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bogatyr posted:

As someone in civil engineering i can fairly confidently say that MUTCDs for states mention a minimum distance worth of visibility, so while his cones per MPH "might" be correct, his sight distance is not, so his control is not correct.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

not really schadenfreude but the game Mini Metro tends to encapsulate the problems with transit in a fun way. so you dont have to search heres a random dude playing it

https://youtu.be/KDX1eGQ_I4I

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Phanatic posted:

People who were born and raised in New York City are honestly unaware of the existence of other places, and actually personally encountering them is a bit devastating to their psyche, so it's not entirely their fault.

Corrected, because people from the state of NY, versus Long Island/NYC, are completely different. I was born in NY state about 2 hours west of Albany and none of us there liked NYC people either.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well speeding fines are purely voluntary.

Never speed, never have to pay them :can:

Around here the cops won't bat an eye if you're doing 5-7 over the limit so that's where I end up setting cruise most of the time. Since citations read that speeding 5mph and over is punishable, when they're out in force (holidays, end of month, or any other time when they need to meet their supposedly "non-existent" ticket quotas) I set my cruise for 3-4 over the limit just to see if cops will bite. I've had a couple tail me for a little while or try to drive closer to get me to gently caress up, but I just keep my focus on the road and either don't deviate, or drop my speed until they go around.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Dec 14, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This day in history, 15 years ago....

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/04/24/newzealand.fire/

Hope you enjoy your Christmas parties. ITS A PRANK

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Corrected, because people from the state of NY, versus Long Island/NYC, are completely different. I was born in NY state about 2 hours west of Albany and none of us there liked NYC people either.

Look at this guy who's never heard of steamed hams.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Jippa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2eyaHff2nI

The kid that does a goose impression then runs off and his trousers fall down is the best.
The tiny, distant "OHMYGOD" as the guy falls out of the tree has won my heart.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I grew up about 70 miles north of New York City and now live near Albany, with many friends further west and north, and occasionally I run into people who are pretty chauvinistic about upstate, which is just as annoying as NYC people and downstaters. I don't want to live in the city but I like visiting it (and that it pays a LOT of tax money that goes upstate).

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Dec 14, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

canyoneer posted:

This day in history, 15 years ago....

Hope you enjoy your Christmas parties. ITS A PRANK

you fucker, whats freude about this?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
The G train is the best train on the entire system, as far is the station locations, where it goes, etc. The G train is the 2nd WORST train on the service (second to the L) as far as train frequency, punctuality, crowdedness, etc...
I remember back in 2009, you could take the G from Greenpoint all the way to Astoria. Those were the days...

The real scoodyfroody: the L train has a HUGE ridership and is headed for an imminent shutdown for undetermined amount of time. Oh boy...

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ultrabindu posted:

Which did give us this gem from years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like that you can hear someone shouting at him right before he goes down.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

You made me look up the longest escalator in the world: Three stations in the St Petersburg Metro have 137m long escalators with height differences of 68.5m. Must be a scary experience to ride there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sloober posted:

As someone in civil engineering i can fairly confidently say that MUTCDs for states mention a minimum distance worth of visibility, so while his cones per MPH "might" be correct, his sight distance is not, so his control is not correct.

Get the impression that truck was going to hit that car whether or not the comcast guys were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Get the impression that truck was going to hit that car whether or not the comcast guys were there.

Yeah truck was way too fast.

Almost thought he could be drunk considering he kept plowing straight through 2 more yards after the hit. If he got on the brakes he would have easily stopped after clipping the tree

Comcast dudes were still total arseholes, there's having a job to do (oh noes my internet is down) and making sure people don't kill each other because your stopped truck surprised them after they crest a hill in lovely weather

I remember years ago I had a similar incident, where I crested the hill on a 4 lane divided highway (100km/h speed limit) and some lady had spun out, she clipped the guard rail and smashed up her front end. She came to rest dead center of the highway, straddling the two middle lanes with her front end facing oncoming traffic. I was driving an armored E450, and just barely came to a sliding stop inches from her.

Oh ya and she was sitting in the car on the cell phone calling her mom

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Dec 15, 2016