Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the whole "Vader fuckin murders people" thing was untrue

If not, drat, I really hope they make him more T-800 than the stupid bullshit they portray him as in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Phi230 posted:

If not, drat, I really hope they make him more T-800 than the stupid bullshit they portray him as in the comics.

Non-canon now but does this qualify?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Attack Vader's weak spot for massive damage!

(His weak spot is his devestating guilt)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Everything involving Vader + the final moments of the movie from a guy who got invited to a fan screening.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 13, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh my goodness.

*puts self in chemically induced coma until Thursday night*

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't believe I did a risky read of the last few pages. Tantalizing but not ruining. The rare, rare perfect balance you want from risky reading a spoiler thread. I'm out, see you on the other side!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Phi230 posted:

You mean the current comics? He seems pretty t800 there.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
So when they fire the Death Star, do they do the whole warm up/firing montage from Episodes 4 and 6?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

All the new rounds of spoilers that have been leaked today are fairly consistent with varying levels of specificity, and the whole "EVERYBODY DIES AT THE END" is definitely legit.

But I feel like everybody kinda figured that out on their own a long time ago.

"Vader murdering tons of people aboard a rebel transport like Jason Vorhees with a lightsaber" is something that is gonna be dope as gently caress, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
do we get to see more Guantanamo action via the needle droid?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just saw it. Sad movie. Everyone died, but in a heros way.

Death Star launch sequences Look to Be remade but maintain their coolness.

More when I get home

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just got home, very good movie. Would like to see it again because I'm sure I missed a couple things. Little references were subtle enough (I think) they didn't draw you right out of the movie.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Ok here we go:
I'm going to spoiler tag these, so this is your only warning.

-The droid was almost the only comedic relief character that they had put in. The wisecracks were similar to ones you'd find in your MCU film.
-Death Star fires in the film twice. First to destroy Jedha, second time during the climax (to make sure everyone is dead).
-They fire with one reactor. The effect on the air sort of reminded me of archival nuke footage times 1000.
-I didn't see any Donald Trump references in it. You really need to interpret it so much to fit that narrative and even then, it'd be taking it way too far.
-"Legacy" characters: Bail Organa, Red Leader (digital effects and use of samples from A New Hope), Princess Leia (Digital composition on a stunt face), Moff Tarkin (Digital character).
-Bail Organa was played by the dude from the Prequels. Other characters were digital appearances using old voice samples.
-The "Legacy" characters had varying degrees of success. Red Leader was the most succesful, mainly due to appearing for a few seconds at a time. Tarkins first appearance was the biggest uncanny valley moment, his later appearances started to look more realistic. Leia's face looked a bit off, that will be one that is going to be fixed for home releases definitely.
-Wedge Antilles is mentioned by Bail Organa in a bit of dialogue: "Captain Antilles, I have a mission for you"
-Obi-Wan Kenobi is referenced, not by name, but "a faithful ally during the clone wars" just before the Wedge namedrop.
-Beavis and Butthead (I really don't know what you call the guys Ben mutilated in the cantina) make a cameo
-Production Design on the Death Star is faithful to the 70s style. Some of the design on the other locations is anachronistic, yet fits like a glove into the universe.
-Rebels are not goody two shoes, even to the point that Cassian is given an order to kill Galen while others believe they are only there to save him.
-Imperials are like Nazis. When Death Star engineers are inquired who was the one who leaked info, Galen says it was him (True). In the end, the villain kills the engineers and only slaps Galen.
-Things of course work out that during the rescue mission, they lose contact and Rebels mobilize their troops. Galen isn't killed by the imperials, even if it is teased, but by rebel ships bombardment.
-The Vader scenes were very awesome even if there wasn't much. The rebel slaughter at the end, where Vader just dismantles a whole group of white helmets of Tantive IV with his lightsaber and the force is extremely well done.
-R2 and C3PO have a small cameo.

Alan Smithee posted:

do we get to see more Guantanamo action via the needle droid?

No Guantanamo. The most modern thing I think about is that the extremist rebels (Yes, there is an extremist rebel faction in the movie) have scarves on their faces and use suicidal attack tactics on a modern, militarized Imperial Troops in a desert style setting.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gonz posted:

All the new rounds of spoilers that have been leaked today are fairly consistent with varying levels of specificity, and the whole "EVERYBODY DIES AT THE END" is definitely legit.

But I feel like everybody kinda figured that out on their own a long time ago.

"Vader murdering tons of people aboard a rebel transport like Jason Vorhees with a lightsaber" is something that is gonna be dope as gently caress, though.

so its good because i feel like i am gonna tear up in this movie and not just because of the sadness. because this movie seems to be like all the big adventures i had when i played with my action figures when i was little.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh I didn't stay after the credits, is there a mid/post credits clip or anything?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh I didn't stay after the credits, is there a mid/post credits clip or anything?

Only the LucasFilm logo.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am someone who can get really sucked in at the cinema but I swear I didn't breathe in the last two minutes. When Vader starts on those white helmets oh my.
I loved loved loved how the mission hinged on so many moving parts of bravery - like the dialog supposed.
Rogue One. Hell yes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why are there spoiler tags in this thread?

Adaptabullshit posted:

-Bail Organa was played by the dude from the Prequels. Other characters were digital appearances using old voice samples.

You don't know who Jimmy Smits is?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 14, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So Mads Mikkelsen lives to return in whatever original trilogy interquel?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't like Kevin Smith but he sure likes Rogue One, apparently.

http://heroichollywood.com/kevin-smith-rogue-one-wonderful-great/

His words on Vader sounds very promising. Vader a la "Alien" sounds more and more likely.

I actually usually like Kevin Smith (though his recent "horror" movies are garbage), but do not trust this man's opinion of Star Wars movies. After each prequel, he published overwhelming positive reviews. For episodes II and III, they even had the whole, "THIS is the prequel we've been waiting for" vibe, as if he hadn't praised the other prequels when they came out.

He's an excited man baby who is often very funny. But he is no movie critic.

That being said, it doesn't mean he's wrong, based on what everyone else is saying about this movie. Can't wait.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Mameluke posted:

Nope. Bombed to death by the Rebels.There's this full subplot of having Galen killed, but then Andor decides not to while having his rifle aimed at him. Cue Rebel ships who bombard Galen to death on cue.

This leads to Jyn becoming doubtful about the rebellion and in the next scene, you can see her rally the rebels into fighting.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 14, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, so #DumpStarWars sure is something. :stare:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fuzz posted:

Wow, so #DumpStarWars sure is something. :stare:

Is it though? Like the stories about people wanting to boycott TFA, mostly on Twitter I'm seeing that hashtag used by people making fun of the "movement". Some random assholes, sure, but it looks like it's mostly overblown.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

I actually usually like Kevin Smith (though his recent "horror" movies are garbage), but do not trust this man's opinion of Star Wars movies. After each prequel, he published overwhelming positive reviews. For episodes II and III, they even had the whole, "THIS is the prequel we've been waiting for" vibe, as if he hadn't praised the other prequels when they came out.

He's an excited man baby who is often very funny. But he is no movie critic.

That being said, it doesn't mean he's wrong, based on what everyone else is saying about this movie. Can't wait.

yeah, he is one of those fanboys that loves anything that comes out no matter how good or poo poo it is. i mean good for him but i don't trust him when it comes to movie reviews.

thrawn527 posted:

Is it though? Like the stories about people wanting to boycott TFA, mostly on Twitter I'm seeing that hashtag used by people making fun of the "movement". Some random assholes, sure, but it looks like it's mostly overblown.

this. its basically some alt right jackasses bitching on twitter and then a bunch of overought "thinkpieces" making said jackases sound like a bigger movement and then saying "lol this movie will make trump poo poo himself in fear, for the rebellion and diversity/feminist/liberalism/insert buzzword). its basicaly the right wing and the left wing outrage assholes fighting over another movie. nothing new.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/12/13/outrage-warriors-are-only-ruining-their-own-fun-by-trying-to-dumpstarwars/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The movie jumped around a little too much at the start I reckon, it was moslty fine but title cards in Star Wars? Come on, eliminate one of those early locations and make it simple.

Red Leader was great to see (twice) in there, that was really, really well done. Tarkin was pretty amazing but the first scene of him was a little off, the eyes were darting around too much and looked a bit too fake, the rest of his scenes are very good though. I didn't mind Leia at the end either, looked pretty faithful to her scenes in ANH, more believable than Tarkin, although that could be because it was only 4 seconds of screentime verses two or three minutes with speeches.

Mameluke posted:

No, he gets owned by a Y-Wing bombing run.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 14, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Adaptabullshit posted:

Ok here we go:
I'm going to spoiler tag these, so this is your only warning.

-Wedge Antilles is mentioned by Bail Organa in a bit of dialogue: "Captain Antilles, I have a mission for you"

Captain Antilles is the ship's captain of the Tantive IV, unrelated to Wedge (in the old EU, this may have changed for the new continuity).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Captain Antilles is the ship's captain of the Tantive IV, unrelated to Wedge (in the old EU, this may have changed for the new continuity).

You are correct. He's also briefly in Episode 3.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just came home from seeing it. It was alright, and the spoilers seen on the last page are all true.

Is it almost as good as Empire? No. Not even close. But it isn't prequel-levels bad either, and a lot of work went into making it look great.

Except for a few little things that bothered me a bit , like the seemingly unpainted star destroyers that looked like the plastic models they are, and the stealth AT-ATs (in the sense they somehow managed to sneak up on a firefight)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really liked it. Sassy Vader is my favourite Vader.

Also, the space battle in the last act was awesome. Probably the best stuff they've showed us in the franchise.

ALSO, Alderaan is confirmed as the first planet fully destroyed. Jedha and Scarif are both hit with a limited blast, which looked like a civilization-ending impact event, but not enough to pulverise the planet itself.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Interesting enough, basically nothing from the (first) teaser and quite a few pieces of dialogue and shots from the first trailer was also missing.

I'm guessing the reshoots had a major impact on the finished movie, from what I can gather, completely changing Jyns arc.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don't feel the reshoots messed anything up though. The movie was a bit choppy at first, perhaps, but it got a lot more focused as time went on, and the finale was actually very easy to follow, despite a great number of characters spread out over a big area.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

CGI was a bit dubious at times, but overall I loved the film, probably more so than TFA

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

What I loved with the ending is that you get the impression that this was a costly victory for the rebels, and this first major victory against the Empire was very nearly all for naught.

The more I think of it, the more stuff I want to see again. Like the scene where they push two Star destroyers into each other, slicing them apart.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Jesus gently caress, CGI Leia will haunt my nightmares. The Star Wars tradition of pushing new special effects ground and not quite getting it right continues.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

If you want to watch Vader wreck poo poo at the end of the film here ya go. Not sure how long this will remain up.

Vader wrecking Rebels

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 15, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

If you want to watch Vader wreck poo poo at the end of the film here ya go. Not sure how long this will remain up.

Vader wrecking Rebels

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

The more I think of it, the more stuff I want to see again. Like the scene where they push two Star destroyers into each other, slicing them apart.

So, if you watch close you can see the hammerhead ship still pushing into the side of the star destroyer when they collide with the station and explode. I thought that was the biggest wtf moment for me, as it seemed entirely unnecessary for that ship to still be there at that point. Idk if it's a modeling thing or what, as you do see a hammerhead ship escape a moment later.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
One of the best SW films and an amazing action film to boot. It's the film I'd always wanted to see and the shades of grey were surprising. I'm willing to bet that the reshoots were anything featuring Vader as they felt fairly disconnected from the rest of the film.

But that scene of him in the hallway - incredible.

It is miles ahead of TFA.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Trump posted:

Interesting enough, basically nothing from the (first) teaser and quite a few pieces of dialogue and shots from the first trailer was also missing.

I'm guessing the reshoots had a major impact on the finished movie, from what I can gather, completely changing Jyns arc.

Yeah almost every line from the first trailer is not in the film. Seems like Jyn was more of a problem child reluctant to get involved earlier on. They may have even added her Dad and all that stuff later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"Are you kidding me?! I'm blind!"

• Locked thread