Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
I'm also pretty sure it's 8 people in the company total, not 8 people doing dispatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Lobster God posted:

And talking of the Scourge...

I like it!

It's got wings, so no embarrassing leakage !

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lobster God posted:

I'm also pretty sure it's 8 people in the company total, not 8 people doing dispatch.
Yep. This is correct too.

loving mongs on mongstarter

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've decided to paint all of my Battlecruisers first, because only the weapons could need magnets, the hulls are never going to change after all, and I'll get a feel for which plastic parts go where, and how I might be able to make it all work. Plus I can test paint schemes.

First thing I've noticed is that I can make the Atlantis by stealing the two unneeded 6400 mass drivers from the Avalon sprue, but there's not enough 4200 mass drivers between them to equip both Atlantis and Avalon at the same time, it's two short. Tough luck if you didn't get additional cruisers in your pledge and planned to make at least one into a Seattle, Osaka, or New Cairo.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Flipswitch posted:

I expect by the time I eventually get my pledge people I know will have been playing for nearly three months so even though that guy is an idiot using the worst possible picture of Hawk, I understand the basis of his annoyance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok so going through the pretty pictures in the rulebook, and the instruction sheets, it looks like I'm probably not going to be able to magnetise any frigates, at all, but that's ok because I have a lot and more are cheap.

The preassembled light, normal, heavy, carrier, and troopship cruiser hull plan with magnetised weapon swaps within weight divisions for UCM looks rock solid. I can, in theory, see how the same plan would work for Scourge, but the organic curves and lack of flat surfaces to recess magnets into may prove challenging. Shaltari is also a challenge, but for them the flat surfaces are there, the issue is really small contact points for the swapping bits.

PHR though, that looks like it's probably not going to work, the hulls are probably going to be to thin to deal with swapping the broadside weapons.

Battleships I don't have any of yet, but magnetising all of them looks to be pretty straightforward, except for Scourge, which won't work due to the fundamental assembly differences.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 14, 2016

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

PHR cruisers are simple enough to magnetize, you'll just need a lot of magnets to do so between the broadsides and the keels. The only issue I've had is making sure the magnets in the weapon banks are placed precisely enough to leave space for the hangar doors underneath and also don't jut out the side. Had to shave off a tiny slice on each side of the doors due to some slightly off-center magnets. Used a combination of 2x1 mm and 1/16" magnets since that's just what I had around.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sojenus posted:

PHR cruisers are simple enough to magnetize, you'll just need a lot of magnets to do so between the broadsides and the keels. The only issue I've had is making sure the magnets in the weapon banks are placed precisely enough to leave space for the hangar doors underneath and also don't jut out the side. Had to shave off a tiny slice on each side of the doors due to some slightly off-center magnets. Used a combination of 2x1 mm and 1/32" magnets since that's just what I had around.

I'm really bad at magnetising because I'm bad at drilling and my fine motor control is subpar - that's why UCM is easy, they already have guide holes I can drill into. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it without making a huge mess and ruining them all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Do you think Hawk have done anything wrong at all?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, I magnetized a UCM cruiser first and it was a breeze compared to drilling into all those tiny PHR weapon banks. Drilling for the keel pieces isn't so bad since the slots on the bottom are all 2mm and you can use the ridges as a guide, and the main hull sides seem to work fine without much precision, but ugh the weapon banks would be a pain without bracing and/or steady hands.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so at this point, is there a clear winner rules-wise between Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander? A friend of mine's girlfriend is asking for a present for him for Xmas and he and I have been talking about both but decided on neither - and I reckon it could be a good chance to get a starter set.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Do you think Hawk have done anything wrong at all?

Yeah they've done a few things wrong - mostly they can be linked to being new to KS. But not to the level people are crying about on social media where Dave has personally taken a poo poo in their letter box and Louis has beheaded their cat.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

OK so at this point, is there a clear winner rules-wise between Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander? A friend of mine's girlfriend is asking for a present for him for Xmas and he and I have been talking about both but decided on neither - and I reckon it could be a good chance to get a starter set.
Dropfleet is smoother as a game I think but the Rulebook is a mess and kinda l needs a 1.1 already.

Oops double post

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Flipswitch posted:

Dropfleet is smoother as a game I think but the Rulebook is a mess and kinda l needs a 1.1 already.

Oops double post

The index in the book is next to useless and some rules are in odd places, I know what you mean. I think the balance look alright so far, but we will see. I figure once you have the rules down the rulebook will mostly be able to be ignored at least.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Flipswitch posted:

Oops double post

Yeah, the book needs a bit of a clean up. It doesn't feel broken, but it has a fair few typos and some odd phrasing going on.

Probably still better than the Flash and Arrow expansion for Batman. There are duplicated paragraphs in there with only slight differences clearly left over from editing. And some scenarios are missing fairly critical dimensions. That book is very pretty though!

I think the Wargames industry has a problem with proof reading.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ideally the wargaming industry need some technical writing consultants but for a lot of small companies that might be outside their budget.

Also my pledge finally arrived yesterday. Stations are missing and theres some minor damage but the majority is there and in good shape. And drat, it's a lot of sprues.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just checked my FLGS, and a 2 cruiser pack is $30 while a battleship is $45 :eyepop:

Think it's gonna be a while before I can add to my single PHR and Shaltari cruisers to make starter force equivalents, though I at least have 8 frigates for each.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
To be fair, the battleships are giant chunks of resin that involve a lot more labour than the plastic sprues.

I'm looking forward to getting the UCM one eventually but i want to get the other stuff ready first.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bistromatic posted:

To be fair, the battleships are giant chunks of resin that involve a lot more labour than the plastic sprues.

I'm looking forward to getting the UCM one eventually but i want to get the other stuff ready first.

I don't mind the battleship prices too much, since yes they're resin and metal, seem to be pretty large, and they come parts-complete for every variant, but $30 for two cruiser sprues is a shade rich.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there any metal in the ships? So far they've all been entirely resin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Flipswitch posted:

Is there any metal in the ships? So far they've all been entirely resin.

The blurb for the Beijing/New York/Tokyo said a mix of resin and white metal, the others say resin only. My guess would be that the sprongy aerials for the UCM will be cast in metal, the rest in resin.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My UCM battleship is entirely resin. Will get that fixed on the Firestorm Games website.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
These loving games...

I bought a Shaltari starter and a battleship.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If you're in the US GameNerdz has some battleships of all four varieties for a hair under $34 (or a bit less since you get extra discount for additional items).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My starter box + PHR finally shipped :allears:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

These loving games...

I bought a Shaltari starter and a battleship.
Buy another two starters and a second Battleship, then Corvettes when they come out. Bang fleet done.

No idea if the Shaltari Corvette is any good but its funky, at least it isn't as garbage as the Scourge one.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Where are the pictures of the Shaltari corvette? I didn't see them in a kickstarter update.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Arcturas posted:

Where are the pictures of the Shaltari corvette? I didn't see them in a kickstarter update.

Not yet, i think hes just talking about the rules for it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah talking rules sorry chief. The Shaltari corvette is the longest range one and the Scourge one is a bit wank to the others. I mean it's a bit of a non issue because you can only use your own factions but the Scourge one is poor.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm not sure what the use of corvettes is just yet. Scourge maybe, they can nip at the heels of strike carriers, but the Echo seems to want to fight things that will swat it effortlessly, and the Santiago packs so few dice it hardly seems worth bothering with.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

They are among the very few ships with atmospheric capable weapons, right? So if you want to go shoot at enemy strike carriers you either roll 6's on your main guns or use corvettes. It seems like a nice way to contest objectives besides tapping strike carriers before they can dive to atmo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

I'm not sure what the use of corvettes is just yet. Scourge maybe, they can nip at the heels of strike carriers, but the Echo seems to want to fight things that will swat it effortlessly, and the Santiago packs so few dice it hardly seems worth bothering with.
Like Arcturas said, they're for diving into Atmo against enemy strike carriers where other ships can't threaten them as readily. As most of them are CAWs you need to group them up, so 3x Santiago is pretty decent, you need like a minimum of 6 though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Oops double post

OK told her to pick up Dropfleet - we both liked the idea of Man O War and BFG so I figure it's a good shot. Is there anything we need to know meta-wise about the 2 player starter set? (i.e. in the 40k 2nd Edition set: don't be the orks if you want to win)

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Southern Heel posted:

OK told her to pick up Dropfleet - we both liked the idea of Man O War and BFG so I figure it's a good shot. Is there anything we need to know meta-wise about the 2 player starter set? (i.e. in the 40k 2nd Edition set: don't be the orks if you want to win)

You should probably build 2 of the frigates as strike carriers for each side.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Build the suggested load outs. Each fleet has one (there are sheets in the starter box) and they're balanced against each other.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lobster God posted:

Build the suggested load outs. Each fleet has one (there are sheets in the starter box) and they're balanced against each other.

yeah, we're a group of three that all have bought into Dropfleet, and we'll be doing our first game with just the recommended starter fleets. After that? BATTLESHIPS EVERYWHERE!

My Scourge corvette effort before they released pictures of the Nickar, I might use these as bulk transports instead once the Nickar is released. Nickar

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Since there seem to be quite a few people here who know their way around a pot of paint: I'm new to to wargaming and not particularly creative, so I've settled on a Space Wolves color scheme for my PHR. I've discovered that the Citadel base "The Fang" is available as a spray, but the blurb doesn't really seem clear on whether this will work well as a primer. Should I be using Chaos Black before I spray on the base layer of the Fang?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I can't tell you about that specific spray but if you're new you might not know about the general painting thread. It has a lot more people than this one so usually chances are highest there if you have some specific paint questions. Plus it's a good thread in general.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Badly Jester posted:

Since there seem to be quite a few people here who know their way around a pot of paint: I'm new to to wargaming and not particularly creative, so I've settled on a Space Wolves color scheme for my PHR. I've discovered that the Citadel base "The Fang" is available as a spray, but the blurb doesn't really seem clear on whether this will work well as a primer. Should I be using Chaos Black before I spray on the base layer of the Fang?

it is not a primer, i can recommend using a white primer first, there's many different kinds available! (using a black primer ends up with a way too dark end result)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

lol poop dinos.