Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Stupid question, but is there a way to get rid of the rectangle/triangle shapes that are conveying what I assume is contact ambiguity in CMANO? It adds a ton of clutter and is sort of driving me nuts in the first scenario in Norther Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you can ignore specific contacts by right clicking on them which hides their area of uncertainty

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I did that and it is helpful, but the guy in this video has none of the areas of uncertainty displayed. It it just because he's playing an older build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgHgl49IFCU

I even followed along to see if I was doing something dumb, because I suck at the game, but it didn't help.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you can hit filter out all contacts under the contacts menu

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also whoah

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

markgreyam posted:

You guys/everyone needs to make sure you create an account at Slitherine/Matrix (it's a combined account now) and register any game keys from their games against your account. Preferably create the account this time of year, and each year you'll get an account anniversary coupon that stacks on whatever the current store price is (i.e. launch discount or sales).

So if you do it in December, you'll get that coupon when their xmas sales are on, and as mentioned it stacks. 65% is good, but getting even more on top of that initial discount feels even better. As a more extreme example, this year mine was 47%, but only so high for me because I already have a heap of games registered, but obviously it builds up (I believe the maximum possible is 50%). Northern Inferno cost me $6, and paying $17 for the Collector's Edition version of Sengoku Jidai felt pretty good.

I remember getting this in the past, but I didn't get one this year. Is the discount coupon saved somewhere?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd say that the Coral Sea scenario actually isn't that good except as learning how to control the game through its UI - a lot of WITP comes down to identifying axes of strategic advance, concentrating forces into marshalling yards, setting up logistics chains to feed operations, and executing those moves over the course of multiple months. Coral Sea starts off with 90% of that stuff already done, and you get to play out a week's worth of turns.

Guadalcanal is a little better, but even then you've got the landings already locked in, though maintaining the beach-head, setting up Henderson Field and advancing up the Solomons is far more relevant to the overall flow of the game.

To put it another way, WITP has just enough micromanagement to make you think you should be playing like you're Frank Jack Fletcher or Chuichi Nagumo, when you should really be thinking like you're Yamamoto or Nimitz. It does a bad job of answering the question of what the Japanese could have done differently on June 4 1942 to change the course of Midway, because the questions it does try to answer are "what could have happened if the Japanese didn't do the Coral Sea operation to begin with and went into Midway with six carriers instead of four?", or even "should the Japanese have tried to take Midway at all?"

I would actually pay the prices wargames go for when not on sale for a good remake of witp. One with half the bullshit micro-micro management of ordering enough toilet paper to be shipped to your training squadrons taken out and a more manageable UI. It's a shame because the concepts tgat you are referring to is the actual good game that is trapped under the grognard belief that complexity and detail must necessarily convey accuracy.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

also whoah

Admiral, we believe the hostile contact is somewhere on the Pacific Ocean

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I remember getting this in the past, but I didn't get one this year. Is the discount coupon saved somewhere?

I just checked the Matrix/Slitherine shitshow of a unified login and noticed a link called "View my Anniversary Code". Which said no anniversary codes were granted to this user. So, not sure if they just haven't released them yet, or what's going on.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Darkrenown posted:

It's not automatically generated but you get an email which gives you a link which then generates the code. I presume this is if you want to save the code for some future game/sale because the codes only last for 30 days once generated, but I don't know how long the email's coupon-generating-ability itself lasts.

My email was from "Matrix & Slitherine Rewards" and was called "Matrix Games & Slitherine - 5 year anniversary reward"

Yooper posted:

I just checked the Matrix/Slitherine shitshow of a unified login and noticed a link called "View my Anniversary Code". Which said no anniversary codes were granted to this user. So, not sure if they just haven't released them yet, or what's going on.

Yeah their whole combined effort thing still has some holes that need to be worked out. I basically do everything through the Slitherine side of things, it seems all round a bit cleaner. Through my Matrix login I can't see any codes with some link that talked about codes but if I follow this link

http://samelogin.slitherine.com/Manage/ListAnniversaryCoupons

I see both codes I've got (apparently this only started last year), but that's only once they've been generated from the email.

Unimpressed posted:

Sure, it stacks, but is there a flanking bonus?

I'm super ashamed that I laughed at this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Thanks, found email but I have the same "none granted" message as Yooper, so I emailed their support.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm being a little patronising here sorry, but make sure you are following the link I gave you and not the Matrix site one (I actually can't find the coupon link through the Slitherine site account page). I know that I followed the link in my email, which showed me a just generated discount on a stand alone page, and then looking at the Matrix site's coupon list for my account gave me "None granted", even though following that link which I found in the forums (probably the Matrix forums, there's a big post on these coupons), showed me the discount that had been generated. Like I said, they're combining their sites but there are bugs to iron out it would seem.

e: In fact, if you found the email, it should have had a link which took you straight to the coupon. I'm sure (and probably remembering it wrong) that the link in the email took me to a page that just showed that discount in a special "ta-da, here's your discount" page, not a list of discounts.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 14, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
grognard point of sale simulator 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm tempted by War In The Pacific: Admiral Edition, but I know I'll do the same thing as I did with the original, which is:

1.) Open it up and scroll around wide eyed
2.) Click through a few half-assed turns
3.) Go play something else

I would really like a Pacific game a little more focused around ease of use and shorter play time.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

markgreyam posted:

I'm being a little patronising here sorry, but make sure you are following the link I gave you and not the Matrix site one (I actually can't find the coupon link through the Slitherine site account page). I know that I followed the link in my email, which showed me a just generated discount on a stand alone page, and then looking at the Matrix site's coupon list for my account gave me "None granted", even though following that link which I found in the forums (probably the Matrix forums, there's a big post on these coupons), showed me the discount that had been generated. Like I said, they're combining their sites but there are bugs to iron out it would seem.

e: In fact, if you found the email, it should have had a link which took you straight to the coupon. I'm sure (and probably remembering it wrong) that the link in the email took me to a page that just showed that discount in a special "ta-da, here's your discount" page, not a list of discounts.

I'm sure. Turns out you only have a month to claim the coupon AND the coupon only lasts 30 days, so it seems weird they bother having it in two steps instead of just saying "here's your coupon."

quote:

Thank you for contacting us. Can you please attach the email regarding the Anniversary coupon that we have sent you?
Please note that you have one month to redeem the anniversary coupon after we have sent you the email.
If you don't redeem the coupon on that period of time, you won't be able to redeem it again.
Also, after you have redeemed the coupon, the coupon will be valid for one month.

Kind Regards,

<name>
The Slitherine Group

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

markgreyam posted:

Any game that looks like this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/589/Command:.Northern.Inferno.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno.

With a "Get this game on Steam" actually comes with a steam key when you buy it from Slitherine/Matrix. So you get the key-requiring but otherwise DRM-free game from them which you can download and play on it's own, and then you'll either find (with newer games, Northern Inferno counts) that very same key working direct into Steam, or you'll have to just click the "Generate Steam Key" link or whatever it's called in your account games list once you register the game with your account. (I use the Slitherine interface just because it's easier, I'm actually not sure how it works under the Matrix site).

Yes, I don't understand why that "Get this game on Steam" thing actually takes you away from their store and to Steam instead of just making it clear that you get a Steam key with a purchase from their site. I don't know the logistics of it all but surely it's just denying them money if they redirect you to buy it through Steam, I really don't know.

There's people who will only buy games on steam or who prefer it. I guess. Though I've been burned by the idiotic matrix games download system myself so I sympathise

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So does anyone else want to play Revolution Under Siege Gold with Nenonen and I? Neither one of us has any idea what we are doing, I assure you.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
which isn't necessarily a bad thing - what experience did Trotsky & co. have of commanding men into battle???

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

There's people who will only buy games on steam or who prefer it. I guess. Though I've been burned by the idiotic matrix games download system myself so I sympathise

That's me.

With Steam:
- easy re-download if your drive crashes
- play across multiple devices
- game saves offloaded to cloud
- linked forums
- refunds

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I kept filing tickets about games disappearing from my download page on the Matrix website and they just said gently caress it and sent me an email with links to the press versions most of the games I own.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sure. Turns out you only have a month to claim the coupon AND the coupon only lasts 30 days, so it seems weird they bother having it in two steps instead of just saying "here's your coupon."

Weird. I checked and I have an anniversary coupon in my list from May. Perhaps it won't work if I tried to use it, but it is listed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Huh, support won't give me a new one either, not can they change my reg date. I guess if you don't sign up in late November/December you can never enjoy the benefits of stacking it with the Xmas sale. So typically grog.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dtkozl posted:

So does anyone else want to play Revolution Under Siege Gold with Nenonen and I? Neither one of us has any idea what we are doing, I assure you.

How is the game? I've been thinking of picking it up.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Has anyone played Hard West? It's not a grog game per se, but I saw it on sale for $9 bucks (steam) this morning and picked it up before work. I'm curious whether or not my impulse buy was worth it, or whether or not I just tossed away $9.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is the Japanese AI usually this bad at attacking Pearl Harbor, or did I just get lucky?

It's not even just the AI. Unless you are playing a December 8th scenario, a human player has to stick around extra days to get even close to real PH results.

And doing that comes at a serious cost to the Japanese player. After the first day there is no surprise bonus and his or her carrier aircraft, and most importantly pilots get torn up.

The Japanese player can easily blow their wad greatest earlier war advantage over the Americans--their elite carrier pilots--by trying to achieve pretty trivial (since the Allied carriers will get away) results against battleships and cruisers.

Really, unless you plan on invading Hawaii I would say spend no more than one extra day (I still wouldn't) bombing PH as the Japanese.

Edit

I know you didn't ask this, but I honestly have been toying with the idea of a Japanese game where I completely forgo the attack on PH altogether. An attack of the full KB on the Philippines will do way more damage where it counts (assuming you are using the no movement for ships not currently in a task force for turn 1).

I know because I've had this done to me in a MP game. The thing is though, from experience as the Allied player in this situation, having a full healthy Battleship fleet may make the Allied player a lot more aggressive when it comes to defending the South Pacific.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 14, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Yooper posted:

How is the game? I've been thinking of picking it up.

It's ageod. But it is also the only russian revolution game out there so if you like the period what other choice is there?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dtkozl posted:

It's ageod. But it is also the only russian revolution game out there so if you like the period what other choice is there?

Also the only choice for your Russo-Polish war and "Germany won the Great War, now watch A7V Sturmpanzers crush the Bolsheviks!" needs.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Darkrenown posted:

I guess you can stretch it out conceivably to 60 days, 30 to generate and then 30 to use, reading that reply from them. Of course being one of the blessed Dec account creators means that none of these peasant level problems apply to me

e: This was then going to lead onto me PM'ing you but you don't have PMs, although I've used my voucher anyway but yeah someone should do something about that...

Seriously, I use their Steam keys every time if they're available. I'm pretty sure the download server comes off a 56k uplink FTP server. Runs better with NetscapeNavigator. The games take forever to download and then inexplicably the patches don't download properly unless I use a download manager because of whatever crazy hijinks their FTP server gets up to with download completion.

Who I am kidding I never play these games anyway.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 15, 2016

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

ZombieLenin posted:

Has anyone played Hard West? It's not a grog game per se, but I saw it on sale for $9 bucks (steam) this morning and picked it up before work. I'm curious whether or not my impulse buy was worth it, or whether or not I just tossed away $9.

It's XCOM but with demon cowboys and the strategic layer is replaced by a choose-your-own-adventure.
It's kinda bonkers but probably worth 9bux

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

It's XCOM but with demon cowboys and the strategic layer is replaced by a choose-your-own-adventure.
It's kinda bonkers but probably worth 9bux

Worth noting that the game doesn't have any way to help mitigate or counteract bad luck/poor RNG streaks. For the most part the scenarios are short and quick but some of them can take a while or have a lot of setup and it's extremely frustrating to lose a lot of effort and time over it.

Edit:
Still a good game and worth the money. Just not something you want to play if your blood pressure goes up over poo poo like that.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 15, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

markgreyam posted:

I guess you can stretch it out conceivably to 60 days, 30 to generate and then 30 to use, reading that reply from them. Of course being one of the blessed Dec account creators means that none of these peasant level problems apply to me

e: This was then going to lead onto me PM'ing you but you don't have PMs, although I've used my voucher anyway but yeah someone should do something about that...

It's cool, thanks for the help :)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id like to make some grog jokes about this but i can't think of anything that beats stack / flanking bonus earlier itt

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The third scenario in Norther Inferno is a poo poo show. I finally finished it but I lost most of the MTBs you are given. If the Soviets hadn't wasted a bunch of missiles sinking poor fisherman I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How long is this matrix sale going? I'm thinking of picking up flashpoint campaigns.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Fintilgin posted:

I'm tempted by War In The Pacific: Admiral Edition, but I know I'll do the same thing as I did with the original, which is:

1.) Open it up and scroll around wide eyed
2.) Click through a few half-assed turns
3.) Go play something else

I would really like a Pacific game a little more focused around ease of use and shorter play time.

The "normal" version, before the Admiral's edition, had an AI support system, which allowed you to put regions under AI control.

Unfortunately it didn't really work. A War In The Pacific which lets you set theaters HoI IV -style, would be incredible.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all

Stairmaster posted:

How long is this matrix sale going? I'm thinking of picking up flashpoint campaigns.

8 Jan. Flashpoint Campaigns is great, but I'd wait on Germany Reforged if I were buying for the first time. It's some more scenarios, so if you like it you can always pick it up before the sale ends.

Also if anyone is on the fence about Pike and Shot: Campaigns, it's a lot of fun. There's a bunch of scenarios where, at least in the ones I've played so far, the player is disadvantaged going in (Royalists attacking Parliamentarians uphill, French Huguenots outnumbered, etc.). I lose again and again. Beyond that, there's the campaigns themselves and a neat skirmish generator. I don't play many of the heavier games yet, so this has been easy enough for me to figure out with just some background in stuff like the Total War series. There's an effective tutorial and you can turn off the reports after every melee combat so you're not hitting advance 30 times per turn.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

:magical:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Command Ops 2 is on sale at Lock and Load. Does anyone have any experience with the newest version? I loved the last iteration Matrix released. I was thinking about picking it up but I know nothing about it's current state and Lock and Load as a publisher.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
According the story page for it, the "Core" game is free and has three scenarios, and while the download is a little slow (I suppose I'm being polite there) if it's anything to go by it looks like it would be straight-forward to download the extra modules.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's a dead division only, you can't trust the casualty counter for sunk at sea it triple counts disabled as destroyed etc. Usually about 1/3 displayed is the actual losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Apparently Command Ops 2 is on sale at Lock and Load. Does anyone have any experience with the newest version? I loved the last iteration Matrix released. I was thinking about picking it up but I know nothing about it's current state and Lock and Load as a publisher.

It's pretty much identical to #1. And like markgreyam said, you can get the core version for free. The only thing I dislike is the weird way the menus all lay themselves out.