Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Infinity models have minimal flash and don't require anywhere near as much pinning unlike those heavy af warmachine models. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It'd also help to know if Skinty McEdger's friend/relative is wanting to just get a wargame to play at home with Skinty or with another bud, or if he's wanting to actually play at a club or game shop. If the former, pretty much any game will be fine. If the latter, it's substantially harder for a newbie to the hobby to start with a game that doesn't have any local support, and it could be that whatever we recommend has absolutely no scene there.

For a veteran it's fairly straightforward to be an ambassador and start trying to build a scene, but for someone who's never rolled a die in their life, it's a bit more daunting.

Edit: how is DropZone / DropFleet Commander for a newbie?

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 14, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glitchkrieg posted:

If they don't care for modelling, they'll care for it even less after trying to assemble Infinity minis.

Yeah that was a joke answer. I just put some of their stuff together last night and it's really pretty but it's fuckin nonsense to build

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Infinity models have minimal flash and don't require anywhere near as much pinning unlike those heavy af warmachine models. :confused:

I have never pinned a Warma dude

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Comedy answer Dust.

what is even the state of that game anymore? last time I checked the guy had completely hosed over his kickstarter backers after lying and organizing harassment against his distributor. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone outside of china was willing to work with him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Oh oh real comedy answer is Robotech.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Trek Attack Wing no

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The wargame hobby in general seems like a bad one to get into if you don't want to deal with models and Star Wars is out of the question for some reason.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Skinty McEdger posted:

What would be a good system to get a starter box for a teenager who is into scifi and likes the idea of wargames but really doesn't care for modelling? Assume in this instance that X-Wing is off the table.

Deadzone is probably the best thing.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I think you'll find that "oh gee willikers that unattackable teleporting unit combo is a bit of a toughie to manage but maybe if we exploit the rules with an equally broken until combo or if we wait long enough and are really lucky they might change the rules in a FAQ supplement" is a perfectly reasonable stand point for someone to have about a good game system like AOS.

Interesting fact- the US tank destroyer company in flames of war used to be a similar broken combo because of the ability to teleport in a bunch of TD shots off of the recon units(the way American TDs work in FoW is kinda weird).

Like, in terms of top tier, the US is right there with a few Germans in Late War, mid war is a bit more open, and early war is Russians as far as the eye can see. They're coming out with a v4 that's based on a lot of Team Yankee which has some weird and bad rules in it along with some good ones.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Panzeh posted:

Deadzone is probably the best thing.

Thinking about this some more, it is definitely the best Scifi game to recommend for a newbie, but those are not the friendliest models to assemble. You have to juggle like three joints to make sure everything fits flush when you glue the arms and guns together. The Enforcers' legs also basically require you to know where and how on the base the model will stand because of the ball hip joint.

Plus there's all that terrain.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I've never understood the appeal of FoW at all. You have models that can be used with literally any WWII ruleset and people intentionally play the one that is essentially warhammer 1940k

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The AoS thread basically a self parody thread at the moment.

There are people using the word "aelves" without a hint of irony or shame, holy poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Atlas Hugged posted:

Plus there's all that terrain.

The terrain is probably the big plus to me. Most small games require a lot of terrain and deadzone is probably the most economical in how it's accomplished due to the grids.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Do people really have that much trouble assembling Infinity stuff?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The ones I've bought have tiny limbs that easily snap off even with a little epoxy putty along with glue. It's really not fun but I've lost a lot of push to make models over the years.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MikeCrotch posted:

I've never understood the appeal of FoW at all. You have models that can be used with literally any WWII ruleset and people intentionally play the one that is essentially warhammer 1940k

It's not that bad, but it's played by a lot of people and benefits from inertia. Most historical rulesets are insanely difficult to find people to play.

You can put points in and play pick up games, which used to be highly atypical and most historical rulesets still don't take that style of gameplay seriously.

The biggest weakness in Flames is that few stores are willing to stock it because so much of it will never move.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have never pinned a Warma dude

I have some cavalry, the Harbinger, and the brainiac dude with robot arms and I can't see how they could possibly stay together without pinning.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chill la Chill posted:

You're probably thinking of WMH models from quite some time ago

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

Yup. As poo poo as the small-based plastic infantry is, the plastic jacks stay together way better than the old metal ones did, while also managing to look much better. I think it's just a scale thing. I'm sure if PP bothered to use the resin they do for the combo kits on their infantry, you wouldn't see the number of complaints about them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If I were to get into WMH now I would probably use magnets for all my plastic jacks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

If I were to get into WMH now I would probably use magnets for all my plastic jacks.

I do. But piles of the joins are always going to stay together, so you might as well glue them. Plus your lights are multi-kit because reasons, so they don't get magnetized either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

S.J. posted:

Yeah I also have one of those mechs too. The WMH scenes at my local stores was nonexistent until very recently so they had all the old kits on the shelves.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And the new plastic infantry have been noticably better in my experience, but it's probably more on a kit-by-kit basis. The plastic trenchers I put together were fantastic, but the mold lines are still annoying af to clean up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Panzeh posted:

The terrain is probably the big plus to me. Most small games require a lot of terrain and deadzone is probably the most economical in how it's accomplished due to the grids.

For someone not interested in modeling it would probably be pretty annoying is all I was saying.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Do people really have that much trouble assembling Infinity stuff?

The new stuff is great, but I am straight-up never going to finish this box of Karakuri because of the fiddly crap they put in the box. There's also the infamous old Su Jian picture.

Related, if anybody has any suggestions for vaguely Terminator-ish robot minis, I'm all ears.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mcjomar posted:

Battletech ...
SolarisSkunkWerks

Hah, I'm tickled pink to see someone mention SSW, surprised it got as popular as it did; the original author is my best friend/former GM/roommate/best man at my wedding. I'll have to text him and let him know people are still using it years after he stopped working on it. And Battletech was my very first tabletop game and introduction into gaming, it's still not a bad system for getting people into wargaming as it still has pretty reasonable balance and the rules aren't a total garbage fire.

Though all this talk of boxes of 'mech minis is just weird to me, real men play BT with cardboard standups in plastic clip bases, the way the game originally shipped. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The little ears for the infinity PanO super soldiers are pretty annoying to attach and also keep on in the course of play, I imagine.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The wargame hobby in general seems like a bad one to get into if you don't want to deal with models and Star Wars is out of the question for some reason.

Xwing was my gateway drug for him on his birthday. But he now wants to try a "proper wargame."

I guess to expand, the big issue with modelling for my nephew is that he has mobility issues with his hands and it makes craft skills challenging (and frustrating) for him to do. He only mentioned yesterday that he would like something like that for christmas, otherwise I probably would have ordered a box ahead of time and put it together for him. Really I'm looking for something that we could put together in a couple of hours with minimal fuss and then fit in a game over the evening.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Skinty McEdger posted:

Xwing was my gateway drug for him on his birthday. But he now wants to try a "proper wargame."

I guess to expand, the big issue with modelling for my nephew is that he has mobility issues with his hands and it makes craft skills challenging (and frustrating) for him to do. He only mentioned yesterday that he would like something like that for christmas, otherwise I probably would have ordered a box ahead of time and put it together for him. Really I'm looking for something that we could put together in a couple of hours with minimal fuss and then fit in a game over the evening.

The models in the Terminator game are pretty cheap and require as much assembly as "cut off sprue, glue arms to body". They are a bit delicate though.

I enjoy the game and it has some interesting mechanics, but due to a lack of opponents it's pretty much a board game to me at this point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Skinty McEdger posted:

Battletech.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
How about Mantic's Walking Dead? Not sci-fi, but very little assembly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Not a viking posted:

How about Mantic's Walking Dead? Not sci-fi, but very little assembly

Mars Attacks would probably be fine too come to think of it.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Seconding this, I love Battletech, warts and all. Building mechs (stats, not models) was always a blast.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Both walking dead and mars attacks sound like good ideas. I'll have a proper look when I get home tonight.

Just to check, from a quick look at Battletech it uses a grid for movement? Because that sounds perfect.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

Seconding this, I love Battletech, warts and all. Building mechs (stats, not models) was always a blast.

Or not. The starter box is going for $300 on Amazon right now so I guess that means it is out of print again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Skinty McEdger posted:

Both walking dead and mars attacks sound like good ideas. I'll have a proper look when I get home tonight.

Just to check, from a quick look at Battletech it uses a grid for movement? Because that sounds perfect.

All of those games have some kind of grid based movement with Battletech specifically using hexes as opposed to squares. But sadly it doesn't look like you'll be able to buy the starter box unless you happen to have a FLGS that happens to have one in a back corner. You could still grab the core book, a map pack, and some lance packs I guess, but it's easy less convenient.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

hahaha what the gently caress. Just went to check out vampire models for inspiration and saw the price of these bat-bro's

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats

can anyone explain that to me? 60 cana-dollars

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 14, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Each one is cast in sterling silver.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Mars Attacks might not be the best bet, the game is alright but it's a dead game. They haven't released anything new for it in almost 2 years and it looks like Mantic is just selling through existing stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

hahaha what the gently caress. Just went to check out vampire models for inspiration and saw the price of these bat-bro's

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats

can anyone explain that to me? 60 cana-dollars

Man I didn't even want to use those lovely models back when they weren't that absurdly overpriced.

• Locked thread