Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I was so excited for no fair catches in the XFL but then I found out that there was a halo rule and brushed the league off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i don't care what anyone says, i thought that scramble drill instead of a kickoff was amazing

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

tadashi posted:

Especially given what we know about the long term effects of football injuries and all the safety precautions they eliminated.

Like catching passes from Tommy Maddox and Jim Druckenmiller.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

i don't care what anyone says, i thought that scramble drill instead of a kickoff was amazing

Didn't guys get hurt doing this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Didn't guys get hurt doing this?

probably

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HBO is doing a multi-part documentary on Muhammad Ali

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I heard on What's the Point last week that ESPN is launching a 30 for 30 podcast series, which I couldn't be more excited about.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

probably

That's like, the most famous XFL story. It was a scramble instead of a coin toss to determine who got the ball to start the game, and a guy got a separated shoulder and missed the year in the very first week.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was once interviewed as a 13 year old in the game room at the Washington, DC ESPNZone by a local news station on my thoughts of what the XFL was going to be like (because there was hardly anyone else there and I guess I looked like a target).

I had no idea about it and think I rambled something out about hoping it wouldn't look too much like WWF meets football.

What I'm saying here is I watched some of the XFL and reaaaaaaaaaaaally want to see this.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was once interviewed as a 13 year old in the game room at the Washington, DC ESPNZone by a local news station on my thoughts of what the XFL was going to be like (because there was hardly anyone else there and I guess I looked like a target).

I had no idea about it and think I rambled something out about hoping it wouldn't look too much like WWF meets football.

What I'm saying here is I watched some of the XFL and reaaaaaaaaaaaally want to see this.

I went to two Memphis Maniax games with my dad

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I am upset there is no Opie and Anthony in it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I am upset there is no Opie and Anthony in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

Seriously. Between this and the "INSIDE THE NFL" segments that Jim Florentine did? It's been the closest I've seen to Football pregame shows being entertaining.

And it's not even that O and A were GOOD at it. But they were so self deprecating about it that it made it incredible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FuzzySkinner posted:

The NFL comes across like it's ran by a bunch of upper class Ivy League WASP's.

It's been routinely challenged by the AFL, WFL, USFL and XFL because of that reason. Sadly, only the AFL and to a lesser extent USFL were able to encourage some sort of "change" when it comes to how it's ran.

The "fruits" of it's labor are finally bearing out. While leagues like the NBA,seem to be more...progressive on matters? The NFL just seems so backwards and dumb. They've changed their entire mindset. No longer is about Joe fan from Buffalo, but rather whatever upper class rear end in a top hat is willing to dole out the money for club seats.

How pathetic and sad that there are no owners of African American descent involved with the league? How about people in management within the leage? I think that right there speaks volumes to their current struggles.

Back to the topic at hand? I'm intrigued by this because the XFL itself is a fascinating concept, and one I do wish would have worked in retrospect. Save for Tourney time? It's very hard to find Saturday and Sunday programming during the Spring.

I find it amazing that the person "Who killed the USFL" is the same person who is about to kill our country as we know it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I find it amazing that the person "Who killed the USFL" is the same person who is about to kill our country as we know it.

It'd have been great if he would have kept lobbing bombs at the NFL, stealing their talent and coaching while keeping his league in the spring. Kinda like some combination of Steinbrenner and Al Davis. He almost got Lawrence Taylor for example.

The NFL really could have used it then, and sure as hell needs it now.

e: Not excusing him killing off the USFL. That was horseshit, but drat I want to see some scare the poo poo out of the NFL again.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
when is the 30 for 30 for the golden boy franchises coming out?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'm excited about this if no one else is.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Didn't the XFL invent the camera on a cable above the field? If nothing else, that's a pretty big part of every NFL broadcast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Didn't the XFL invent the camera on a cable above the field? If nothing else, that's a pretty big part of every NFL broadcast.

They didn't invent it but they were the first to really heavily use it. They were also largely responsible for pioneering the deeper access/coverage into huddles, locker rooms, etc.

The XFL was a mess but in terms of broadcasting they really got the ball rolling on a lot of what's standard today in college and the NFL.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Wasn't JR an announcer?

I mean FFS

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he's a legit football nut so that wasn't particularly jarring

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think he did play by play for the sooners on a regional fox sports network a while back. Using him for the XFL wasn't really out of the ordinary

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jesse Ventura in the booth and fuckin' Stephanie on the sidelines were probably bigger broadcasting sins

e- goddamn the XFL was extra terrible in retrospect, I never really gave it much thought before

by all accounts, it should have succeeded in America

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The XFL was basically one huge middle finger to the NFL. For that alone it is to be commended.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think he did play by play for the sooners on a regional fox sports network a while back. Using him for the XFL wasn't really out of the ordinary

I'm pretty sure he used to be the Atlanta Falcons PBP guys a long time ago if I'm not mistaken.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I'm pretty sure he used to be the Atlanta Falcons PBP guys a long time ago if I'm not mistaken.

Wiki says he was actually there twice, first as color commentary on radio then PBP for them on TV. Neat.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Ventura is actually a really good announcer but I don't think he knew much about football itself which probably hurt the product.

Also he took the job right in the middle of his term as Governor and that caused quite a bit of backlash and controversy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chromatic posted:

Ventura is actually a really good announcer but I don't think he knew much about football itself which probably hurt the product.

Also he took the job right in the middle of his term as Governor and that caused quite a bit of backlash and controversy.

that owned, it was like pappy o'daniel doing the hillbilly flour radio hour from the governor's mansion

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching Catholics v Convicts and I can't work it out. Like, it's entertaining me, but something is bugging me about this fan film about the rich white kids who really enjoyed it when Reagan spoke at their school getting revenge on those wild people from the poor university that beat 'em up at a football game previously.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

algebra testes posted:

I'm watching Catholics v Convicts and I can't work it out. Like, it's entertaining me, but something is bugging me about this fan film about the rich white kids who really enjoyed it when Reagan spoke at their school getting revenge on those wild people from the poor university that beat 'em up at a football game previously.

That's pretty much been the consensus response from TFF. It's supposed to make ND look sympathetic but it makes them look even worse than usual.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

It's like I Hate Christian Laettner: you come away from watching really hating somebody, but it's not who the directors want you to be hating.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

algebra testes posted:

Miami was not a poor university.

Miami was, is and always will be a university of insufferable fucks who won't shut up about how great they were running the score up on unranked teams because Jimmy Johnson was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

gently caress Miami.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Miami was, is and always will be a university of insufferable fucks who won't shut up about how great they were running the score up on unranked teams because Jimmy Johnson was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

gently caress Miami.

....oooookay.

On the other hand gently caress Notre Dame about a million times as much for the same reason over about a hundred coaches.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Miami was the best thing to ever happen to college football

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those drat kids with their hootin' and hollerin' and their swagger and celebrations, not playing the game the white, I mean, right way.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you should always run the score up because gently caress The Other Team

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Genocide Tendency posted:

gently caress Miami.

The school isn't poor but I'm sure if you compared the players' family's incomes they would be dwarfed by ND.

Also gently caress you for your painfully bad opinion.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

VikingSkull posted:

you should always run the score up because gently caress The Other Team

I've never understood the whole run up the score idea. Like it's somehow a bad thing to play at your best for the duration of a game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Obligatory good sportsmanship should stop at the high school level.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's a place for good sportsmanship at all levels, just as there is a place for blood rivalries and hate.

• Locked thread