Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno if I'd like pacific rim. Even if it is a good movie, I generally don't watch a lot of movies or tv or anything like that. I usually don't do stuff like that unless I'm watching with a group and even then I'll eventually get bored and switch over to something else unless it's something I really really really wanna see.
just watch it, it's 2 hours long, have some friends join you if need be.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I really thought Pacific Rim was shockingly bad. Like usually when people like something I don't I can see where they're coming from but with Pacific Rim, I found so little of any merit in there.
There's a segment of people who couldn't get in to the self-aware aspect of the film and kept calling out the stupid things it did, when it specifically did stupid things as a callback to the kaiju and giant robot shows(mazinger, gigantor, getter robo) of the mid-to-late 1900's. Like, when the giant robot piloted by the hero just WORKS because it's "an older model, it's analog, not digital!", or when they talk about dinosaurs at any point referencing things from those eras of archaeology knowledge, it should tell you that the movie is not being super serious.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know how you could possibly watch Pacific Rim and not realize it's being incredibly tongue in cheek.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

I'm trying to finish Earthbound. I think I might be near the end maybe? I've gotten 6 of the sanctuary locations, it seems like they are closer and closer together the further into the game you get.

My kids have also started playing it after watching me play it. I'm happy for it to be their first jrpg, but I also scream on the inside when they turn their backs on literally every battle because they're trying to run away from bad guys.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 14, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to plat Rez Infinite at some point soon. It doesn't even take that long, I just keep playing other things.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

raditts posted:

I don't know how you could possibly watch Pacific Rim and not realize it's being incredibly tongue in cheek.

deadly_pudding posted:

Don't you know? Real Cool Adults can only consume media if they can convince themselves that it's very serious and meaningful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
duff loving mcwhalen

Captain Invictus posted:

just watch it, it's 2 hours long, have some friends join you if need be.

I don't have any friends who are interested in watching it and I'm not interested enough in watching it to bother with it, sorry :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't like cgi fight scenes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

duff loving mcwhalen

rooster cogburn

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

I don't really see the new year as a deadline. However I'd like to finish Persona 4 before Christmas

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

pacific rim is good. not as good as godzilla which people also love to hate on. godzilla was so good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

pacific rim is good. not as good as godzilla which people also love to hate on. godzilla was so good

I assume you mean the new Godzilla and not the 1990s one.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Whew, finally caught up with the thread after being on vacation for a couple weeks. How y'all kids doing?

I missed the November sale, unfortunately (or fortunately, since I'm still paying for all the poo poo I bought in the states); I really wanted to get my hands on Titanfall 2 for 30 bucks, I hope it gets discounted again for Christmas. I need to start making a budget and adhere to it though, there's a bunch of games I want to get that launched this year so they're not gonna be 10 a pop like I usually go for. I'll probably compile a list and get your opinions at some point; individual opinions may vary, but the goon gestalt hasn't really steered me wrong when it comes to games other than the occasional stinker.

I'm working on finishing Mafia 3 (when I manage to take a break from Overwatch) and having a bit of an issue with my controller; I got a new XBone controller (which is really nice), and the game stopped showing in-game prompts. It looks like it's a common issue, I may have to use my old 360 wired one to get around it.

After that I have a whole bunch of stuff in my backlog, no idea what I'll start on but I'm leaning towards Dragonfall.

Captain Invictus posted:

when it specifically did stupid things as a callback to the kaiju and giant robot shows(mazinger, gigantor, getter robo) of the mid-to-late 1900's.

Don't forget Robot Jox. I remember freaking out when I saw that bit in the trailer and my friends kept looking at me like I was mad because I was the only one who remembered it. :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

The Godzilla parts were good. The hours of human parts, starring a man on personality-suppressing drugs, was insufferable.

Also Pacific Rim owns.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

yeah oco ("of course")

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That period of time when it felt like matthew broderick was in everything

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

At least X4 is possibly the best game in the series. After that it goes very downhill though with them getting significantly worse with each game until X8 manages to be pretty ok.

Yeah X4 is super good, if made a little janky due to levels being split in half. I dunno if I'd say it's better than X1 but I kind of like it better personally.

After that is when poo poo immediately starts to fall apart.

Gonna try and finish up Witcher 3's main quest before the year is up, I've only got a couple hours left on it anyway, just need to stop playing EU4 and actually do it. Don't have a whole lot of aspirations beyond that, but I'm thinking I should try and play Megaman Z 2-4 since I have the DS cart and never played through those ones.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

raditts posted:

My biggest worry about the sequel is that, without Del Toro directing, it'll lose that attitude and take itself too seriously. Supposedly he's still involved so I hope it keeps its sense of fun.

Slightly related: Pacific Rim is one of two movies I've ever seen where I've gone, "Man, I'd love to play a video game based on this." The other is Inception, weirdly enough. I envision it playing basically like Uncharted--light stealth with big action setpieces where the whole world goes crazy with dream-world fuckery. It'd be fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be clear, I went into Pacific Rim expecting a big dumb fun Kaiju movie and was just bored throughout, thought the action scenes were badly done and the character scenes far too prevalent and horribly cliche and badly done. It's not a case of taking it too seriously. I just thought it was terrible.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I really thought Pacific Rim was shockingly bad. Like usually when people like something I don't I can see where they're coming from but with Pacific Rim, I found so little of any merit in there.

People like to root for an underdog. If it was a Transformers movie people would be (rightfully) complaining that there are only 3 fights and they all take place at night and in water so it's dark and murky, or that three quarters of the movie is dull padding with training montages and tragic backstories and comic relief characters running around screaming.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I would like to finish the Last Guardian this week, because I'll be away from home for a week starting Saturday. I have no idea how close to the end I am, but I'm having a blast. It's like the game was made specifically for me.

I'm going on a 2 week cruise in January, so it'd be nice to be able to finish up Steamworld Heist before then, since I'm at the last area. Ori needs some love too....

I'm at the bonus levels in BoxBoy and they are really kicking my rear end. Gotta get those crowns!

I'm looking forward to the steam sale because Audish's review of Sproggiwood made it look really cool.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Harrow posted:

Slightly related: Pacific Rim is one of two movies I've ever seen where I've gone, "Man, I'd love to play a video game based on this."
You need to buy Titanfall 2 then.

Harrow posted:

The other is Inception, weirdly enough. I envision it playing basically like Uncharted--light stealth with big action setpieces where the whole world goes crazy with dream-world fuckery. It'd be fun.
Inception is pretty much a video game in movie form.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

new godzilla wasn't as good as new new godzilla

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Every mega man game ever. I finished 1-10 and now in on the X series. X2 is cool but I guess I permanently missed some bosses because they disappeared from my nap

ya there's 3 optional bosses that randomly post up in levels, and if you beat the level they're in without finding and killing them first they disappear forever; otoh finding and beating all three of them skips the second-to-last boss who is one of the most difficult in the game, so there's no such thing as a 100% playthrough anyway

X3 has a similar kind of thing with even more obtuse requirements to get zero's lightsaber

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

My biggest worry about the sequel is that, without Del Toro directing, it'll lose that attitude and take itself too seriously. Supposedly he's still involved so I hope it keeps its sense of fun.

Slightly related: Pacific Rim is one of two movies I've ever seen where I've gone, "Man, I'd love to play a video game based on this." The other is Inception, weirdly enough. I envision it playing basically like Uncharted--light stealth with big action setpieces where the whole world goes crazy with dream-world fuckery. It'd be fun.

You make think I'm joking but Black Ops III is pretty close to inception

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't have any friends who are interested in watching it and I'm not interested enough in watching it to bother with it, sorry :shrug:
Okay, how about this. If it ever gets a re-show in theaters, maybe in IMAX for some reason, go see it.

Seeing that movie in IMAX was an incredible feeling. Every footstep was positively thunderous. But even on a normal big screen it's still good. It's best seen on the biggest screen possible, as the entire point of the movie is to appreciate the scale of the spectacle.

Harrow posted:

I haven't followed on that much, if they've taken his baby away from him, that really sucks. I do really hope he's still involved.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I haven't followed on that much, if they've taken his baby away from him, that really sucks. I do really hope he's still involved.

The writer and director is Steven S. DeKnight, the showrunner for season 1 of the Netflix Daredevil series and the creator of the Spartacus TV series, so I don't think he's going to run it in the ground necessarily. Del Toro is on as a producer and is credited with the original story for the film. The producer credit doesn't necessarily mean anything--it could be anything from daily involvement to a token producer credit as part of some deal or another, we have no way of knowing.

I hope it's good, though.

In Training posted:

You make think I'm joking but Black Ops III is pretty close to inception

Huh. I clearly don't know anything about Black Ops III but I should probably check it out, then.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be cool with Pacific Rim 2 being 2 hours of Ron Perlman chewing the scenery.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Hey goons, just headed to a Telltale preview event in London. I get to be a part of an interactive playthrough of S3 Ep 1 & 2 of the Walking Dead game. It's just me and 40 more manchildren.

Anyone been to one of these things before? Advice?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ask your guide "does this character die??" every time a character is introduced. legally they have to tell you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Saying "just go pay the extra money to see it in IMAX" in response to someone saying they aren't interested in the movie in the first place seems like a weird move

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Motto posted:

new godzilla wasn't as good as new new godzilla

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I like hurting people and walking around a lot, so I've loved Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Shadow of Mordor. I only get a few games each year - what would I like this Christmas for the XBone?

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Skyrim SE unless there's some newer, cooler world for me to obsess over for a few months.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Saying "just go pay the extra money to see it in IMAX" in response to someone saying they aren't interested in the movie in the first place seems like a weird move

Also when I saw the movie, it was in IMAX so that really didn't help me like it at all really.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Hey goons, just headed to a Telltale preview event in London. I get to be a part of an interactive playthrough of S3 Ep 1 & 2 of the Walking Dead game. It's just me and 40 more manchildren.

Anyone been to one of these things before? Advice?

When Kenny shows up you are either required to clap or boo. They are not allowing anyone to be quiet.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Smuggle in a bag of rotten produce to throw at them if it looks like Clem is going to be stuck babysitting another bunch of unlikable no-hoper idiots like the season 2 cast?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Clearing out my humble bundle.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix for PS3
R4AE-A9NQ-HBR8

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUw4Y0j9F2c

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

jackpot posted:

I like hurting people and walking around a lot, so I've loved Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Shadow of Mordor. I only get a few games each year - what would I like this Christmas for the XBone?

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Skyrim SE unless there's some newer, cooler world for me to obsess over for a few months.

Witcher 3 or the newest Just Cause. The new GTA as well.

I will say Skyrim SE gives you minor mods, so thats cool too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, The Witcher 3 is a no brainer here.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Witcher 3 or the newest Just Cause. The new GTA as well.

I will say Skyrim SE gives you minor mods, so thats cool too.

GTA V on PC has still most of my attention, due to mods of course. I've modded in a police superbike and a car ramming mod like in Sleeping Dogs, which is hella fun. On top of that, there's police mods where you can be the loving Ghost Rider.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
PLAY WITCHER 3

• Locked thread