Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Yeah, I'm waiting on the remaster because the two things I hated about XII were license boards being too open and the gambit system making you manually find new conditionals instead of just giving all of them to you to begin with.

also I asked about audio levels because I, too, use subtitles but I still enjoy actually being able to hear the dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've never actually watched stand by me, should I

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Adamantoise realistically supposed to be killed before or after the super dungeons?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It is a quintissential bildungsroman and the original song is great too.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Terper posted:

This guy?

His name is Verstael. He is the guy who built the original MTs and is Niff's top researcher.

According to a guide, he is also Prompto's biological dad.

Yeah, him! I finished the story and am working through post game, really like this overall, but realized I had no loving clue who he was. He's only in one or two cutscenes. I was convinced he was going to be the big bad when I started the game!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Controversial opinion: I like 13's story and characters better than 15 :colbert:

Like I'm getting into chapter 13 and I have no loving clue what's going on.

the gently caress?

I mean there are some gaps in the story presentation, but you can definitely follow it. Especially compared to 13 where the datalog was required reading if you wanted to know anything about what was happening.

guts and bolts posted:

The Adamantoise battle is undercut by the scale of that fight working against the actual battle system in every conceivable way, which sucks. Also, the anime power-up that Noctis gets for Leviathan and for Ardyn's second phase is a novelty that quickly wears out its welcome considering how time-consuming those battles are, particularly Leviathan. The toughest enemy I fought, a level 120 Naglfar, was, on the other hand, an excellent challenge and a fun battle, as were most of the battles and hunts present in the game.

Was there some obvious thing I was missing for Naglfar? It was almost a non stop stream of one shots against my party because they can't dodge his laser poo poo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Calaveron posted:

One of Steven King's best movies (one of 3-4 good ones?)

But yeah, totally

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Controversial opinion: I like 13's story and characters better than 15 :colbert:

I honestly don't even know how a person could feel this way, but that's me being a huge jerk probably

But holy smokes I loving hated XIII and especially its incomprehensible garbage plot, and especially especially its terrible non-characters who exist to sell purses and be ~cool~ (lmao Lightning)

RatHat posted:

Is Adamantoise realistically supposed to be killed before or after the super dungeons?

You can kill him in Chapter 9 if you're motivated to. Again, my standby of Armiger->Armiger Chain->Freechain for infinite MP (really for infinite air combos with Airdance) makes pretty short work of him, but until you have those nodes in the Ascension grid unlocked, you're basically looking at a 45-to-60 minute "beat on his left flipper" slugfest. The most disappointing thing about that fight is how little of a threat the turtle actually poses. He functionally can't damage you. I think he hit me twice, both times for less than 1000 damage, and it was with dust clouds.

Emron posted:

Yeah, him! I finished the story and am working through post game, really like this overall, but realized I had no loving clue who he was. He's only in one or two cutscenes. I was convinced he was going to be the big bad when I started the game!

My predictions from the early game came sorta true, sorta not. Semi-related to your post.
  • I thought Ravus would not have a change of heart or whatever - I actually had him pegged as the final boss and Lunafreya's killer. He'd be a Gabranth-style "I did what I had to do" guy, only less compelling and more pretty boy. Wholly wrong on this point.
  • I thought that the game would progress from chapters 1-8 "amassing power" to chapters 9-12 "killing the Imperial big shots one by one" to chapters 12+ "killing the final boss/the man behind the man." I actually feel like this might have been the game's original direction, but holy poo poo we never fight Aldercapt as a human, Verstael, the armored guy who apparently dies in Kingsglaive (?), like... nobody. Aranea once, and Ravus after he's dead. Yikes.
  • I figured Luna was dead shortly after she was introduced, and I figured Noctis would die to protect his friends. I was pretty close on this.

Verstael reminded me of Cid from XII, so I was looking forward to tangling with him, too.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 14, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Barudak posted:

It is a quintissential bildungsroman and the original song is great too.

Mine was The Sandlot which I think isn't that different from stand by me?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Calaveron posted:

Mine was The Sandlot which I think isn't that different from stand by me?

There are 100% fewer dead bodies and extreme vomiting in The Sandlot

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Was there some obvious thing I was missing for Naglfar? It was almost a non stop stream of one shots against my party because they can't dodge his laser poo poo.

You fight him essentially the same way you fight any of the Deathclaw family of enemies, so whatever has been working prior still works now, only there's a much smaller margin for error. Magic is effective as always, and Enhancement + Overwhelm/Bow of the Clever puts in serious work. Me, I did what I usually do - got my infinite MP, equipped Balmung, and murdered the poo poo out of it with an endless air combo.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I feel like XV's story was better written, or at least, in the areas that was actually written. The main characters were good and so was the villain, which is something XIII also severely lacked. At least there were more dimensions here.

Terper posted:

5 and 8 are the best in that series. I played DQ7 3ds when it came out and it was probably the worst game I played in 2016

Well, poo poo. I recently picked up 7 before 8 came out to give it a go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean there are some gaps in the story presentation, but you can definitely follow it. Especially compared to 13 where the datalog was required reading if you wanted to know anything about what was happening.

Not really any more than XV, no. FFXIII has ten billion cutscenes where the characters explain their world and motivation in excessive details. XV is the opposite where theres are massively under-explained unless you're going into outside content like tie-in animes and movies.

Like I liked XV's plot/characters more than XIII's but it's kind of silly to pretend like XIII is the one lacking in explanations and detail.

Edit: Like, again, I have to stress that. FFXV has major setting and character details that are only explained if you watched a movie before the game came out. Major character motivations, history and backstory are found only in tie-in guides or as-of-yet unreleased DLC. Characters appear and vanish for no reason (some at least likely because they were already in finished cutscenes, which was something people complained about in 13.)

Like FFXV is a more interesting game than FFXIII but its plot is incompetent in a lot of the same ways. The core thing that saves it is that FFXV's basic plot is literally "An evil empire is taking over the world, four friends journey to find a crystal to stop it" and it never really deviates from that. It doesn't matter that the plot is cut together shards because the story is just "Bad guy bad, crystal good, go punch" bolstered by a fun road trip setting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 14, 2016

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I can't remember who the bad guy in 13 actually is. I want to say it is Snow.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ffxiii has a poo poo ton of info inside the data logs that's not really touched anywhere in the game. Sure it has a ton of info going on all the cutscenes but there is a whole lot more in the logs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ffxiii has a poo poo ton of info inside the data logs that's not really touched anywhere in the game. Sure it has a ton of info going on all the cutscenes but there is a whole lot more in the logs

I guess I'm not seeing the major complaint there in that "there is tons of side content and setting details in optional data entries" is usually not what people are complaining about when they say that. (or else they'd be complaining about half the video games on the market these days.)

Usually when people complain about the datalog thing it's "there is plot information dumped in data logs" (which isn't inaccurate!) but that isn't the same as literally all plot information being dropped in datalogs, and FFXV suffers from the exact same problem of huge amount of setting detail being in out-of-game content, left in random files lying on the ground, or even showing up in loading screens. It also has the unfortunate issue of some pretty relevant plot details being dropped in overworld discussions which can be missed or interrupted and therefore permanently missed.

I mean FFXV has Ifrit the betrayer, bringer of the Starscourge, and he's barely touched upon despite being one of the last major bosses. He's the dude who shows up in the opening dramatically frying your dudes and is apparently the root of most of the world's evil and a good chunk of players have no idea and think they're just fighting Ifrit because he's there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I like the bits of exposition that are cut off b- IMPERIALS OVERHEAD

Thanks...

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
A quick question for those of you who have beaten the game in the final area before the behemoth/ifrit fights there is an item you can pick up between the first bed in that area and the lower level version of Naglfar that prevents you from using any items, what on earth does it do? Is it some kind of challenge? Because I've cleared the area and nothing happened. It's in the location that the kukris drop I believe.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is Type-0 worth playing? I've already been spoiled that everyone dies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/AraneaHoewind/status/808813026216443904

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is Type-0 worth playing? I've already been spoiled that everyone dies.

It depends. It's a port of a PSP game and it feels like it. The plot is pretty ugly and requires you play through the game twice to really get it, and it's way more on the metaphysical bullshit side of things. (i.e: it's more FF13 than FFXV, including and up to having l'cie.)

The gameplay is pretty hit and miss. Some people really like it and others don't. It's hard to say which you'd fall into. It shares DNA with Crisis Core and The Third Birthday if you played either of those.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. It's a port of a PSP game and it feels like it. The plot is pretty ugly and requires you play through the game twice to really get it, and it's way more on the metaphysical bullshit side of things. (i.e: it's more FF13 than FFXV, including and up to having l'cie.)

Hm, would you say it's worth £10 and am I likely to finish it before Christmas? (It took me two weeks to finish FFXV).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

:vince:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Hm, would you say it's worth £10 and am I likely to finish it before Christmas? (It took me two weeks to finish FFXV).

Oh, for that amount? Yeah, it's worth that. It's not very long assuming you're just doing the plot stuff, and at that price it's probably worth gambling that you'd enjoy the gameplay. Just make sure to get the patch for it. The initial release had motion blur so serious it made people sick.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdFiPKdTjY

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Type-0 is the one that starts with a 20 minute cutscene of a kid and his chocobo bleeding out in a war zone right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm not seeing the major complaint there in that "there is tons of side content and setting details in optional data entries" is usually not what people are complaining about when they say that. (or else they'd be complaining about half the video games on the market these days.)

Usually when people complain about the datalog thing it's "there is plot information dumped in data logs" (which isn't inaccurate!) but that isn't the same as literally all plot information being dropped in datalogs, and FFXV suffers from the exact same problem of huge amount of setting detail being in out-of-game content, left in random files lying on the ground, or even showing up in loading screens. It also has the unfortunate issue of some pretty relevant plot details being dropped in overworld discussions which can be missed or interrupted and therefore permanently missed.

I mean FFXV has Ifrit the betrayer, bringer of the Starscourge, and he's barely touched upon despite being one of the last major bosses. He's the dude who shows up in the opening dramatically frying your dudes and is apparently the root of most of the world's evil and a good chunk of players have no idea and think they're just fighting Ifrit because he's there.

I'm not even sure the starscourge, a key concept to understanding Ardyn and Ifrit, is even mentioned out loud in the game? I know it's in one of the paintings in the lore tutorial area, and probably written about in one of the cosmology books, but I'm not sure anyone says it out loud. Also it was clearly meant to play a role in the game, because Lunafreya has a cut scene where she is healing people with the starscourge the same way Aryden did in the past.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I'm not even sure the starscourge, a key concept to understanding Ardyn and Ifrit, is even mentioned out loud in the game? I know it's in one of the paintings in the lore tutorial area, and probably written about in one of the cosmology books, but I'm not sure anyone says it out loud. Also it was clearly meant to play a role in the game, because Lunafreya has a cut scene where she is healing people with the starscourge the same way Aryden did in the past.

Bahamut absolutely mentions it during his massive plotdump, though it's pretty easy to gloss over.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure it gets mentioned when they talk about Titan stopping Meteor as well, at least I remember hearing about it earlier.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I was pretty disappointed by the game after having finished it and was about to put it down forever as there is no loving way I'm gonna spend two hours fighting a mountain, but spending a whole day on janky platformer secret dungeon made it allllll worthwhile.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Like I said, a controversial opinion. I dunno I just feel like 13 did a better job or world building? I mean I have zero clue what's going on in 15 other than now we're on a train, the imperial capital is infested with demons but a bunch of people are still riding the train there, do they not know? Also Luna's home city is on fire? When did that happen? For a game that does a lot of things well, it sure drops the ball on one of the most compelling aspects of a Final Fantasy game -- the actual story.

Just my 2gil.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah I think FF13's story is pretty straightforward, it just kind of happens at breakneck speed until they get to Pulse and it's easy to miss stuff. And it does tons of world building in the datalog.
15's story is also straightforward but it's missing a lot of information and no one really explains much about the world or how things work.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Spergy story questions in general about the overarching plot:

1. Is Ifrit ever given a motivation for why he turned on humanity and the other Gods way back when? Does he have a reason for suddenly hating humans and making the starscourge?

2. How exactly was Ardyen "corrupted"? We know he absorbed a ton of demons, enough that's he's considered the living manifestation of the Starscourge, but why does that make him inherently bad? Nothing about his motivations speak to some greater evil goal. In the game he seemed to possess logical rationale thought, and wanted revenge for a pretty heinous crime committed upon him. His motivations could be called appropriate even. Why did the gods decide to turn their back on him originally? I'm guessing there is no way this is ever addressed given the state of the story in the game.

3. Why did Ardyn wait until now? Couldn't he have manipulated/coerced anyone in the line of Lucis to wake the Gods and get them in the ring? Why wait 13 generations? Couldn't have have just forced Noctis' Dad to do it?

4. If the Luci's power is tied to their ancestors via the ring, why could Ardyn also summon the royal arms and teleport? He was once the king, but he was forsaken by the gods and his ancestors. They pretty explicitly lay out in Kingsglaive that the Luci ancestors in the ring have to grant you those powers.

5. Am I correct to think that Ardyn wanted to lose in the end, and essentially he got exactly what he wanted? Basically by losing the fight in the material plane, he then forced Noctis to sacrifice the ring to destroy his incorporeal form inside the crystal. The destruction of the ring also means the permanent death of everyone who betrayed him (The immaterial souls of all of his ancestors (including Noctis), and all of the gods were inside the ring at that point). If Ifrit or Ardyn he beaten Noctis before that point, I'm not really sure what would have happened. Ardyn would have just ruled over a bunch of dead planet, and never have gotten the true revenge he wanted the entire time.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Megasabin posted:

2. How exactly was Ardyen "corrupted"? We know he absorbed a ton of demons, enough that's he's considered the living manifestation of the Starscourge, but why does that make him inherently bad? Nothing about his motivations speak to some greater evil goal. In the game he seemed to possess logical rationale thought, and wanted revenge for a pretty heinous crime committed upon him. His motivations could be called appropriate even. Why did the gods decide to turn their back on him originally? I'm guessing there is no way this is ever addressed given the state of the story in the game.

My assumption is that Ardyn is straight up lying about the injustices he faced. He was an overthrown ruler so who's to say he wasn't a total tyrant with or without heavy exposure to the magic-microbes that cause daemon transformation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Megasabin posted:

1. Is Ifrit ever given a motivation for why he turned on humanity and the other Gods way back when? Does he have a reason for suddenly hating humans and making the starscourge?

3. Why did Ardyn wait until now? Couldn't he have manipulated/coerced anyone in the line of Lucis to wake the Gods and get them in the ring? Why wait 13 generations? Couldn't have have just forced Noctis' Dad to do it?

4. If the Luci's power is tied to their ancestors via the ring, why could Ardyn also summon the royal arms and teleport? He was once the king, but he was forsaken by the gods and his ancestors. They pretty explicitly lay out in Kingsglaive that the Luci ancestors in the ring have to grant you those powers.

5. Am I correct to think that Ardyn wanted to lose in the end, and essentially he got exactly what he wanted? Basically by losing the fight in the material plane, he then forced Noctis to sacrifice the ring to destroy his incorporeal form inside the crystal. The destruction of the ring also means the permanent death of everyone who betrayed him (The immaterial souls of all of his ancestors (including Noctis), and all of the gods were inside the ring at that point). If Ifrit or Ardyn he beaten Noctis before that point, I'm not really sure what would have happened. Ardyn would have just ruled over a bunch of dead planet, and never have gotten the true revenge he wanted the entire time.

1. Nope. He's a god, gods are assholes.

2. See 1. Gods are assholes. But the Darkness did probably have some slight negative effects on his brain.

3. Ardyn wanted to deplete the Crystal of its power and spite the gods. Noctis is special because just like Ardyn, he's a Chosen One - the one the gods specifically task to end the Starscourge. All the previous kings needed to be born and die and finally be summoned by Noctis when he had absorbed the power of the Crystal for them to finally be able to purge the Darkness.

4. The gods used up all their power juice on Ardyn, which is why they needed to be able to gather power in point 3 in the first place. And the Lucian ancestors CAN give those powers, but those who have been blessed by the gods (the Lucis Caelum line) just have it innately. Characters like Nyx can access them to either a Lucis Caelum sharing it with them, or putting on the ring and earning their favor.

5. Killing Noctis would mean that the gods were wrong in their Chosen One and their decision to abandon Ardyn, the Crystal would have been depleted of power, and then as you say, the gods would "die". Then Ardyn would be king again, ruling over a land of daemons (which he is part). It is probably a little bit of Column A and Column B. He wins either if he lives or dies, and either outcome is fine with him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

Re point 2: Ardyn was corrupted by absorbing all the demons, as you note. It's unclear whether this actually affected his behavior and personality - which is possible, he's kind of a mean prick - or whether he was unfairly snubbed. He's rational to want revenge for what was done to him, but he ends up subjecting people to countless horrors by doing things like equipping the Empire with MT and teaching them how to manufacture demons. We really have no way of knowing if what the gods did was just or cruel, because he's our only source on it, but we definitely know that he's done heinous things to innocent people in pursuit of his revenge against the gods and line of Lucis.

Re point 5: In a roundabout way yes, Ardyn "wins" at the end. He gets what he wants, which is the end of the line of Lucis, and Noctis then lays him to rest. He likely won't be vindicated by history, which will be about how brave king Noctis sacrificed himself to defeat the demon lord Ardyn, though, and it seems like Noctis utterly obliterated his soul. So it's kind of a mixed bag for him, and it's still a happy ending for us because the world is restored, people will be able to rebuild without the demons, and Noctis gets to enjoy the afterlife with his girl. Like Kefka, though, Ardyn is an FF villain who's largely successful.

Re other stuff: Noctis is some sort of special Chosen, so maybe he had to wait for that person. Point 1 feels like something we just never get an explanation for because the story was chopped up, and Point 4 seems like a gameplay/thematic contrivance without any particular story explanation.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Point 1: Ardyn alludes both him and Ifrit being the "some want to watch the world burn" type. Ifrit has no real reason besides just being a dick.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Megasabin posted:

• Ifrit is just a dick, apparently. Or maybe not. Maybe he had a good reason. Given that he looks like the bored Ruler of Hell in this incarnation, I'd say it's a safe bet that the Infernian is just a dick.
  • Ardyn, if you believe his version of events, was essentially the Oracle and the King in one - he went around healing the sickened of their Starscourge by absorbing the parasites that cause it into himself. He didn't literally absorb daemons as much as he took in those bacteria-things that were causing nights to extend and for daemonhood to emerge from animals and humans. According to him, the Six saw how filled with sickness and darkness he had become by doing this, and turned him away from the afterlife, taking away his title of King and instead bestowing it upon a man named Izunia. As a result, Ardyn wants nothing more than to slay the Six or elsewise gently caress up their lives, such as he can, end the line of Lucian Kings who are all descended from Izunia, and die/go to the afterlife he originally thought he was headed to.
  • I'm not sure if every Lucian King is "Chosen," but it's possible he waited until now because Noctis is the King, the King of Kings, the True King, the heir to the prophecy everyone keeps alluding to. Regis is likely not the Chosen, and none of his ancestors are the Chosen - Noctis is, so he's the one that Ardyn waited for.
  • Ardyn could very well be their predecessor, and thus stronger than they are or elsewise able to subjugate the ability to use the Crystal's power. Warping, materializing weaponry ad hoc, and using the Royal Arms is likely something that really any Lucian King can do; it's the Knights of the Round that it takes the Ring for, along with the Death/Holy/Alterna arcana magic. The Lucii in the Ring can choose to bestow their own powers on you, but I don't think that's the same as the teleporting and the Royal Arms.
  • My chief complaint with the game's narrative is that it ends on a needlessly tragic note, and is the peak of contrivance; part of the reason I'm dissatisfied is because a villain as loathsome and annoying as Ardyn does essentially get exactly what he wanted, since he got to die and he got to end the line of Lucian Kings and the Oracles, and likely severed the connection that the Six had to the people. Ardyn had been grooming Noctis for the entire game to get strong enough so that Ifrit (or even himself) would be unable to defeat him in single combat; he actually goes out of his way to intervene and ensure your empowerment/survival several times. That's likely why. His plan of world domination never had any real shot at succeeding - it was, in effect, a massive feint to force Noctis's hand, which is exactly what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

Re point 2: Ardyn was corrupted by absorbing all the demons, as you note. It's unclear whether this actually affected his behavior and personality - which is possible, he's kind of a mean prick - or whether he was unfairly snubbed. He's rational to want revenge for what was done to him, but he ends up subjecting people to countless horrors by doing things like equipping the Empire with MT and teaching them how to manufacture demons. We really have no way of knowing if what the gods did was just or cruel, because he's our only source on it, but we definitely know that he's done heinous things to innocent people in pursuit of his revenge against the gods and line of Lucis.

Actually one of the few things noted in the game is that Ardyn had absorbed demons without become corrupted. Maybe he absorbed too many but the ultimate implication is that what drove him to be "corrupted" was Izunia's actions (whatever they were) and the God's turning their back on him (whatever that actually means).

• Locked thread