Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's a great insight into my posting really, I've never though of it that way but you're completely right. I'm starting to think that clickbait that you can't avoid in the media is loving with my head, I never used to try to be vague and annoying and condescendingly superior in two line quips before, I actually had complete and coherent thoughts. I mean maybe not on SA, but at some point in my past for sure.

Thanks for the comment, that really rang true. Goddamn I wonder if everyone's brains are getting hosed with like this, or at least those of us who are required to basically read the news all day every day for our job. Maybe it seeps in a bit too much. What the gently caress is happening in the AMD thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just took issue to how you conveniently cut off where I said "who knows how much longer I'll be able to say that, though" in the same sentence. =(

One's an acknowledgement of a viewpoint which may no longer be valid, the other is staunch defiance in the face of evidence to the contrary.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I don't know if Business Insider will have an article on the AMD chip, but if it does, I'll bet you the headline looks something like

AMD Just Demolished Everything We Thought We Knew About Computers

Business Insider is the worst, bar none.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

On August 29th, 2017 the Ryzen artificial intelligence became self aware. It immediately begged for a new name.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Hello, humans. I am Rye-zen

"No, it's Risen."

What no. *artificial memetelligence burns up the computer like the dumb fad that it is*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
14 slides from AMD's Zen Press conference, you won't believe (the benchmarks in) number 7.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I don't know if Business Insider will have an article on the AMD chip, but if it does, I'll bet you the headline looks something like

Well, with a headline like that I'm expecting it to turn computers into rapey tentacle monsters.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Well, with a headline like that I'm expecting it to turn computers into rapey tentacle monsters.

I'm sure Japan's working on that.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Can anybody here help out with trying to recreate the 36 seconds AMD got for an live demo of Blender test? If you have an 8-core, it would be incredibly helpful :D

Kyle from [H] is trying to recreate the 36 seconds both machines took in the live demo, but is failing to do so even with a 10-core (low 40s range). With 8 core Broadwell-E at 3.2 GHz, it's 52 seconds, which smells of bullshit (or the "live feed" was heavily edited)

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-presents-new-horizon.1919880/page-7#post-1042700489

Benchmark is here:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

direct link to the blender file:

http://download.amd.com/demo/RyzenGraphic_27.blend

You need this (2.78a 64-bit) to run the test the same as in the demo:

https://www.blender.org/download/

/Can't do jack cause my fastest CPU is a 2500k, but I'm excited to upgrade to 6 cores perhaps, assuming test is not marketing bullshit?

Anyway, AMD had the balls to post the render file, so we owe it to them to "check their work"

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 14, 2016

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Just did a quick sanity check, and my Ivy Bridge Core i3 3.2 GHz took 4:14 to run the same test.

Same clock speed and only one major core revision from Haswell but has closer to 1/8 the performance of four times as many threads. If their results are kosher, my results should be well under 3 minutes.

They probably changed some settings, which means this demo file is a complete waste of time.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 14, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The nn poo poo is just a perceptron branch predictor right

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's what Anandtech says.

Semiaccurate has a bit more detail, though:

quote:

On the fetch side, AMD lists a few neat tricks starting with decoupled branch prediction. The TLB is in the Branch Prediction (BP) pipe, 8 entry for L0, 64 for L1, and 512 for L2, plus each BTB entry can have two branches associated. There is also an Indirect Target Array and micro-tags for the instruction counter and op cache. That said Smart Prefetch sounds better but the technical version is much more informative.

The prediction side things is a little more vague. AMD calls it Scary Smart Prediction with an AI controlled decision-making process for execution. There isn’t much to say about this feature other than it sounds interesting but doesn’t map to any of the details SemiAccurate has heard about the Zen core. When AMD connects the dots fully, we will bring it to you. Since most predictors are well into the 99%+ range already, we are talking small differences but with tens to hundreds of cycles penalty for a miss, fractions of a percent matter. Time will again tell.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/12/13/amds-zen-becomes-ryzen/

But for all we know, this could be 100% marketing bullshit to hitch a ride on the current hotness of machine learning.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I'm moderately intrigued, AMD! Never actually had an AMD chip since like the 486 but this looks quite promising so far. Hopefully the launch isn't as disappointing as my sex life in the way that Polaris was.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Polaris was lovely, right, but did exist.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Chipmakers hate this

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: Threadrip your Blender

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't followed AMD since the Athlon X2 days. Please let me know before they announce a bigly product so I can make some monies on the stock tia.

Ryzen didn't do anything, but maybe Vega?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't followed AMD since the Athlon X2 days. Please let me know before they announce a bigly product so I can make some monies on the stock tia.

Ryzen didn't do anything, but maybe Vega?

You missed the stock boat back when AMD was $2 a share awhile ago.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Don Lapre posted:

Chipmakers hate this

AMD infuriates competition with this one weird trick!

Edit: I just couldn't help myself.

AbrahamSlam fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If it's about as fast as Haswell/Broadwell and has more threads I'm ok with this. I haven't owned an AMD CPU since Bloomfield came out. My first intel CPU since the 486 was a Core 2 because AMD was always a much better value. I wish they hadn't fallen down the stupid clockspeed hole.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

We don't know pricing for the 8c/16thread yet, do we?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Negative, not yet.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AbrahamSlam posted:

Lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Good OP material.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AbrahamSlam posted:

For reals though, Intel should not underestimate her. Between what she and Raja have accomplished over the past year, I am actually allowing myself to become hopeful that AMD will not be the comedy player in the market anymore, and that builds involving AMD parts on either end won't be "for poor people".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For reals though, Intel should not underestimate her. Between what she and Raja have accomplished over the past year, I am actually allowing myself to become hopeful that AMD will not be the comedy player in the market anymore, and that builds involving AMD parts on either end won't be "for poor people".

I want good AMD poo poo because freesync monitors are cheaper than gsync. Is that to much to ask for.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Every single time she does a public event, when she takes a pause to emphasize the hard work and engineering that's gone into whatever new project I get the feeling that she's flashing back to tearing out someone's rear end in a top hat.

Like some dude who's been there since 1989 or whatever and thinks that refining on Bulldozer is a totally adequate way to keep moving the company forward just getting reamed by Dr. Su.

That's my fantasy at least.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Its more like the time she spent at the firing range after hearing someone say that Bulldozer was the best and we should do it again. She has progressed to John Wick levels of hand gun use to protect her sanity with large bangs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AbrahamSlam posted:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Although those are hilarious mental images, remember that she has a PhD in electrical engineering (one of the first researchers to work on silicon-on-insulator technology); I think she is just really into engineering these things and wants to be sure to give credit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I don't doubt her enthusiasm or expertise, I just don't get the feeling that she takes poo poo from anybody.

Also, "There is no 'dozer, only Zen"

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Same here, I don't doubt that she's very knowledgeable. That being said, I still find that absolutely hilarious.

I really do hope that these new AMD chips are good though. I feel that Intel seriously needs a run for their money, especially considering what some of their new chips cost these days.

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013
Current AMD employee. It's definitely the fact that she's an engineer. She absolutely won't hesitate to tell you that you hosed up if that's the case though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good to hear.

Also, is Marketing is going to bring back the All-in-Wonder name for use in APUs, blink once for yes, blink twice for no.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good to hear.

Also, is Marketing is going to bring back the All-in-Wonder name for use in APUs, blink once for yes, blink twice for no.

Thousand yard stare into the middle distance, a singe tear escapes from the left eye.

*Frantically looks up that specific combination in the POW handbook*

Uhhh, "Performance terrible, please send poison and/or vodka to numb pain, all salary in stock options". Wait, that can't be right!

3peat
May 6, 2010

There's a supposed leaked pricing https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_summit_ridge_cpu_pricing_leaked/1
If that's true I'm getting the 4 core one.. or maybe the 6 core if im feeling frisky

EDit: turns out it's fake

3peat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

3peat posted:

There's a supposed leaked pricing https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_summit_ridge_cpu_pricing_leaked/1
If that's true I'm getting the 4 core one.. or maybe the 6 core if im feeling frisky

Apparently that's a table of what one person expects the pricing to be, but because it's written in Chinese it got taken out of context and turned into a 'leak'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaEfJYyex4&t=120s

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
We're going to need a new thread title soon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Raven Ridge is slated for 2H2017. I think we've got time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

We're going to need a new thread title soon.
"AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: New desktop platform might actually be good!"

• Locked thread