Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I found the one dude who thinks Epilogue improves Batman Beyond instead of ruining it. What a world.

Even older and crankier soup-making Bruce Wayne is the best.

"Where the devil have you been?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is all awful. 2016 is the worst year

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

The JLU episode? It totally does, fight me son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM&t=25s

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

This is all awful. 2016 is the worst year

Yeah, it's like the first half of Final Crisis.

2016: The Year Evil Won.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You really wanna do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOooJW5SSDA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mad Stan was by far the best Batman Beyond villain

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Mad Stan was by far the best Batman Beyond villain

Mad Stan got his own episode later on due to that segment being so popular and it was loving awful. Batman Beyond had a single good villain in Blight, and maybe the Jokerz, and the rest was crap or just classic Batman rogues returning. It was one of the things that keeps the show from being amazing, despite the incredibly strong dynamic between Terry and Bruce. Most of the time Terry'd fight a one and done monster of the week or something really ill-conceived and unmemorable like Curare. I doubt there's a single person out there who's favorite DC villain is Inque or Spellbinder or loving Big Time. Even the Royal Flush gang was only compelling because of the relationship drama with 10.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Spellbinder...

Outside of that, though, yeah, it wasn't a great assemblage of villains. The Jokerz and Blight were good, but the Jokerz were just two bit mooks for flavor and Blight was totally Norman Osborne. But the one shots were great.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked Inque, and Talia/R'as had potential.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I liked Inque, and Talia/R'as had potential.

The latter is obviously counted in returning villains from the old show, just like Tim Drake Joker doesn't count as an original villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Mad Stan got his own episode later on due to that segment being so popular and it was loving awful. Batman Beyond had a single good villain in Blight, and maybe the Jokerz, and the rest was crap or just classic Batman rogues returning. It was one of the things that keeps the show from being amazing, despite the incredibly strong dynamic between Terry and Bruce. Most of the time Terry'd fight a one and done monster of the week or something really ill-conceived and unmemorable like Curare. I doubt there's a single person out there who's favorite DC villain is Inque or Spellbinder or loving Big Time. Even the Royal Flush gang was only compelling because of the relationship drama with 10.

I think Blight was meant to be a sort of Dr Phosphorous adaptation with a slightly less silly name, too.

The most memorable villains for me remain the four cyborg teenagers from "April Moon" because I will always remember the one scene where Terry activates the failsafe and one guy's arms and legs just break apart and fall off.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best villain was Zeta, for inflicting The Zeta Project on the world.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This new Jessica Jones series is starting to piss me off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaunab posted:

This new Brian Michael Bendis series is starting to piss me off.

Fixed that for you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Fixed that for you

God dammit, I'm on a 6 month delay because of unlimited, but I was digging Iron-Man and hoping it was a return to form and all the terrible things I heard about Civil War 2 through the grapevine was just because it was an event book and Marvel event books suck, but Bendis loving up Jessica Jones of all things is the worst news possible.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

Fixed that for you

But you didn't change anything.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, I'm on a 6 month delay because of unlimited, but I was digging Iron-Man and hoping it was a return to form and all the terrible things I heard about Civil War 2 through the grapevine was just because it was an event book and Marvel event books suck, but Bendis loving up Jessica Jones of all things is the worst news possible.

I enjoy the Iron Man series. Of course the new ones with the new status quo just started, so it's a bit early to judge them, but the one before was fun when the CW II poo poo didn't interfere. Smarmy, helping Dr Doom is fun, when he drives Tony mad with his friendliness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Decius posted:

I enjoy the Iron Man series. Of course the new ones with the new status quo just started, so it's a bit early to judge them, but the one before was fun when the CW II poo poo didn't interfere. Smarmy, helping Dr Doom is fun, when he drives Tony mad with his friendliness.

CWII just started and I haven't actually read it yet. Marvel should really just make a commitment to not having a big event for 2 years. It gets you 24 issues for all of their main books where the creators can just go hog wild without worrying too much about anything else, and then the crossover would have greater impact. They're just an IP farm for Disney at this point anyway so embrace it and get weird.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The good news is that we're less than a month out from the next big Marvel event introducing your new favourite character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

The good news is that we're less than a month out from the next big Marvel event introducing your new favourite character.

Is Iron Man still a teenage black chick?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

Marvel event books don't suck.

Bendis event books suck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fear Itself was written by Matt Fraction

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

They absolutely do. Hickman was somehow immune to the curse is all.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Infinity and Secret Wars were both great.

In general Event Books (from both the Big Two) are pretty trash, aside from a small number of exceptions. Bendis ones in particular are usually pretty bad though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How is the new Jessic Jones book bad? Let me take a wild stab. Her and Luke are separated and the baby isn't around?

And it is kinda cringe worthy that marvel's next event is right around the corner, but this event actually sounds fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best event Marvel has had was Infinity Gauntlet back in 1990-91(ish).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

How is the new Jessic Jones book bad? Let me take a wild stab. Her and Luke are separated and the baby isn't around?

Kid's still around mostly, but yes, the former is correct. There may be a twist as the first arc introduced the idea of people from alternate realities or having the memories from other realities in the MU.
The other big reveal is the villain is the lady from CW2 with the empty briefcase. Surprise, she's now an evil mastermind, which defeats the purpose of a plot point Bendis himself created AND doesn't achieve what I think he wants it to (making Carol 'right all along') because she's only seeking revenge because of what happened in Civil War.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Kid's still around mostly, but yes, the former is correct. There may be a twist as the first arc introduced the idea of people from alternate realities or having the memories from other realities in the MU.
The other big reveal is the villain is the lady from CW2 with the empty briefcase. Surprise, she's now an evil mastermind, which defeats the purpose of a plot point Bendis himself created AND doesn't achieve what I think he wants it to (making Carol 'right all along') because she's only seeking revenge because of what happened in Civil War.

Well I'm glad he did the one thing that would make the book bad. Keeping that tradition of blowing up marriages in comics alive.
The second paragraph means nothing to me expect cw2 is bad from what I read, so being connected to cw2 is also bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I highly doubt you can prove that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Secret Wars was such a good event that after it got started people didn't really bitch much about the regular ongoings being put on hiatus. Convergence disrupted books for two months, and everyone went nuts because it was so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Secret Wars was such a good event that after it got started people didn't really bitch much about the regular ongoings being put on hiatus. Convergence disrupted books for two months, and everyone went nuts because it was so bad.

Many of the SW minis were better than the books they replaced.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The books were going to be disrupted because of the DC's move, Convergence was what they did to cover up the gap.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

It was a very happy coincidence that i started getting into comics when sw was happening because the strength of most of those minis was what made me willing to keep following marvel after the event was done

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

That is very true. I'm going to give it like a year, but I'm excited to reread all the tie ins. I read the hardcover when it came out, and the reordering of some scenes near the end wasn't anything major, but it helped the third act flow better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved Convergence for the two-shots. You had no fuckin' idea what anything coming out was. A half handful were amazing, and others were bizarre and 'off' enough that they were just as good. Convergence: Atom read like fuckin' Stardust: The Super Wizard. I found two months of that really fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

That is very true. I'm going to give it like a year, but I'm excited to reread all the tie ins. I read the hardcover when it came out, and the reordering of some scenes near the end wasn't anything major, but it helped the third act flow better.

I'm hoping they do a SW omnibus of all the minis at some point. Two volumes would do the job.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Well I'm glad he did the one thing that would make the book bad. Keeping that tradition of blowing up marriages in comics alive.
The second paragraph means nothing to me expect cw2 is bad from what I read, so being connected to cw2 is also bad.

I actually don't hate the book. Gaydos' art is still perfect for it, and Bendis does seem to be going somewhere with the Luke and Jessica thing (the last issue opened with a bizarre and clearly foreshadowing dream sequence). It's very in keeping with the Jessica Jones: Massive Self-sabotaging Fuckup from the early issues of Alias.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I actually don't hate the book. Gaydos' art is still perfect for it, and Bendis does seem to be going somewhere with the Luke and Jessica thing (the last issue opened with a bizarre and clearly foreshadowing dream sequence). It's very in keeping with the Jessica Jones: Massive Self-sabotaging Fuckup from the early issues of Alias.

Gaydos is back? God his art is gross.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

It's very in keeping with the Jessica Jones: Massive Self-sabotaging Fuckup from the early issues of Alias.
That's why it's rubbing me the wrong way, though. It seems to be tossing years of character development (that Bendis wrote himself, for fucksakes!) to revert her back to Alias state, because that's how she was in the TV show and the TV show was popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

That's why it's rubbing me the wrong way, though. It seems to be tossing years of character development (that Bendis wrote himself, for fucksakes!) to revert her back to Alias state, because that's how she was in the TV show and the TV show was popular.

That's absolutely what's going on and it bothers me as well. They did the same thing to Star-Lord.

• Locked thread