Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Footed Booby posted:

She told you that to get rid of you, fyi

But a contracted third-party teleservices employee indirectly working multiple support queues, one of which is Google said it was on all the pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AlexF posted:

Not only did the nice lady acknowledge the problem she also told me that ALL DEVICES have it.
Translation "We have had it with you and are politely firing you as a customer since you are costing us money and have unrealistic expectations, please go away and thank you."

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There was a big sigh before she said that right? Possibly a 'fine'

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It was a support chat, not a phone call, so she probably spat on the keyboard before writing it.

But fine, guys. I'll stop posting about my problems with an Android phone in the Android thread. Sorry you're so upset with me. I'll sit in the corner quietly with my high and unrealistic expectations for a phone that nearly costs 1000€ without saying anything any more.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

AlexF posted:

But fine, guys. I'll stop posting about my problems with an Android phone in the Android thread. Sorry you're so upset with me.

Thing is, it's not a problem. It's the intended design of the telephone. Good luck on your quest. We aren't mad.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

She told you that to get rid of you, fyi
To be fair I'm pretty sure she is correct. Every Pixel I've seen (five or six, can't remember how many test devices we have now) has slightly wobbly buttons. They are still clicky as gently caress and excellent and I couldn't give a drat but if your autism does not allow for slightly wobbly buttons then this is not the phone for you. I have mine in a case so the buttons can't wobble anyway. How do you like that Google?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's something wrong with the volume buttons?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's something wrong with the volume buttons?
His issue is that they are not absolutely completely rigid, i.e. you can move/wobble/tilt them a tiny amount forwards/backwards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure she is correct. Every Pixel I've seen (five or six, can't remember how many test devices we have now) has slightly wobbly buttons. They are still clicky as gently caress and excellent and I couldn't give a drat but if your autism does not allow for slightly wobbly buttons then this is not the phone for you. I have mine in a case so the buttons can't wobble anyway. How do you like that Google?

My buttons are completely stiff :smug:

(trigger warning)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

His issue is that they are not absolutely completely rigid, i.e. you can move/wobble/tilt them a tiny amount forwards/backwards.

What, do they feel like they're going to fall out?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wobble side to side? Weird if they are still rigid click wise.

I will admit, my Original 6P has the softest power/volume buttons around. They feel, nice? but are just too drat easy to hit when you don't mean too, and really aggravates my hate for side buttons coming from my LG G3 before with them on the back and impossible to accidentally hit.

My Refurb 6P I have currently, has super stiff clicky buttons that I am actually really liking. Much harder to accidentally press so now I can hand it to someone to take a picture and they don't power it off or change the volume/burst camera shoot the ground.

The problem I am having with the Refurb that Google support is "looking into" still, is the drat gap between the screen and the metal edge. (There is a black metal edge between the screen and the Aluminum of the phone body, and there is a noticeable gap with a bit of glue in parts around the upper and left edge. Maybe not totally unexpected for a Refurb, but I can just see that edge filling with crap over time, and some of it getting underneath to the camera or other parts in short order.

The new battery and buttons though with a working speakerphone once again sure is nice though.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Received a new / refurbished Nexus 6P directly from Google thanks to my Swappa seller helping me out after the quiet speakerphone. It is so much better, glad I didn't assume the imbalance was intentional because the previous (broken) model was almost too quiet to use and this one is perfect.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, so glad I have a new working phone!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just got a new Pixel, and my volume rocker does wiggle a little bit forward and back if you hold the phone vertical. The amount of play seems totally normal to me, and really not worth worrying about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Mine doesn't even do that, but design wise if you try too hard in making rigid-feeling buttons you end up with mushy lumps of rubber from all the shock absorption, or weak flaps of plastic that end up wearing out the membrane underneath because you're mashing the hell out of a flat bit of polymer to change the volume. You can get it right, but more often than not you end up with something like the early iPhones/iPod touch where they were these rounded hard rubber bits that needed to really be mashed into the device so hard that you didn't pick up the tactile "click" of it activating.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

hotsauce posted:

Translation "We have had it with you and are politely firing you as a customer since you are costing us money and have unrealistic expectations, please go away and thank you."
Yes.

He means the volume button is loose enough wiggle a tiny bit front/back. Its designed to do that. Stick it in a case, you'll never notice.

And I repeat my earlier statement, if THAT is enough for you to dump this phone you're being stupidly unrealistic.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 14, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AlexF posted:

It was a support chat, not a phone call, so she probably spat on the keyboard before writing it.

But fine, guys. I'll stop posting about my problems with an Android phone in the Android thread. Sorry you're so upset with me. I'll sit in the corner quietly with my high and unrealistic expectations for a phone that nearly costs 1000€ without saying anything any more.

Every time you get a new phone I'm going to break in to your house, take your phone apart and shave down all the buttons just a tiny little bit so that they all wiggle.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

grack posted:

Every time you get a new phone I'm going to break in to your house, take your phone apart and shave down all the buttons just a tiny little bit so that they all wiggle.

Why go to such extremes?

Just intercept it in transit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

After all this time, Rogers finally sent us the return kits and info for the Note 7, and now they're on a UPS truck off to cellphone hell.

Goodbye, sweet prince

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Alternate history 2013: In an act of monumental humility, a Google-owned Motorola Mobility relinquishes the decision to leave their name on their next flagship in exchange for a design that focuses on build quality, software optimization for hardware, and creating the ultimate mobile Google experience. The Google Pixel is born.

Right guys? :911:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 14, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Guys I'm currently on my third replacement and the bezels still reflect sunlight weirdly. Can you help me or not?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Guys I'm currently on my third replacement and the bezels still reflect sunlight weirdly. Can you help me or not?

Just cover that fucker top to bottom in grip tape. Grip tape solves all problems pertaining to cell phones, it's a lesser adjunct to the better known rule that duct tape fixes everything.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

grack posted:

Just cover that fucker top to bottom in grip tape. Grip tape solves all problems pertaining to cell phones, it's a lesser adjunct to the better known rule that duct tape fixes everything.

Cover the screen in grip tape too?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

You'd be SHOCKED at how well it fixes wobbly buttons. I mean, like it improves on HTC's manufacturing prowess 100-fold. Amazing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Still can't tell if this is parody.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So my "new" PXL is still running NDE63P, can I run dePixel8, and in so doing, still snag the OTA to 7.1.1? It's been a while since I've unlocked a phone (Android 4.x), and I rooted my Nexus 7 2013, which required me to do manual updates.

EDIT: I installed the right ADB drivers, and I'm following the directions quite literally to the letter...and it still says "It didn't work this time."

EDIT: Nevermind, I was using v0.1, not v0.3. It worked with the updated script.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

It comes in clear.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

FogHelmut posted:

It comes in clear.

drat straight. You can get it surf and skateboard shops

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Same, and those are the best kind of posts

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I returned something like ten Nexus 9's to amazon. Each one had basically half the screen was bleeding, the device wasn't all snapped together, or the volume and power buttons were basically flush with the device or almost falling up.

I didn't want it, but I wanted to see how many I could get that were garbage.

Amazon offers free returns, so I'd just open the box, see it was no good and tape it back up and put it on my porch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I returned something like ten Nexus 9's to amazon. Each one had basically half the screen was bleeding, the device wasn't all snapped together, or the volume and power buttons were basically flush with the device or almost falling up.

Amazon offers free returns, so I'd just open the box, see it was no good and tape it back up and put it on my porch.

This is so loving goony

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Jeeze. Guess I am lucky to have gotten a near perfect one off of Swappa with the Keyboard Cover on the first try. Did you ever get a good one or did Amazon just refund you and tell you to go away?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jeeze. Guess I am lucky to have gotten a near perfect one off of Swappa with the Keyboard Cover on the first try. Did you ever get a good one or did Amazon just refund you and tell you to go away?

Nope, after a while I got a weird email from Amazon about my excessive returns. I stopped after that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been using the stock Google launcher since about 2014, but I decided to change things up and download Nova launcher again. This latest version is really nice. It seems vastly different (for the better) than I remember it from years ago.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sorry if this is ~apps thread~ but does Nova Launcher work with "OK Google" activation or have access to the Google Now screen / Google screen reader thing you hold the home button for? I had been using it on my Nexus 5 and I feel like all of those things didn't work but maybe I just had it configured wrong.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

After the "falconry" posts a while back, I'm 98% certain it's a parody account.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My buttons are completely stiff :smug:

(trigger warning)

Same.

Almost too stiff

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've been using the stock Google launcher since about 2014, but I decided to change things up and download Nova launcher again. This latest version is really nice. It seems vastly different (for the better) than I remember it from years ago.

You know what you need to press

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Sorry if this is ~apps thread~ but does Nova Launcher work with "OK Google" activation or have access to the Google Now screen / Google screen reader thing you hold the home button for? I had been using it on my Nexus 5 and I feel like all of those things didn't work but maybe I just had it configured wrong.

I forgot there was an apps thread and it's only halfway down the page. Oops. But yes, the Google screen reader thing, the name I am also blanking on, works with a long press of the home button when using Nova.

Edit: Now On Tap?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
What kind of advantages have you found to using Now on Tap? I ended up disabling it and going back to having home just launch Google Now, but I wouldn't mind having a reason to turn it back on.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's amazing for pulling addresses and phone numbers out of websites, emails, text messages. It doesn't matter how badly the sender formatted, now on tap snaps it up.