Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

bernie sanders should run for dnc chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/801458583695224837
Perez is a good man, and a friend to labor, but I have more confidence in Ellison being able to rebuild the grassroots and provide a concrete vision to work towards. I wouldn't mind Perez in a position concentrating specifically on labor outreach, but the party needs a new direction more than anything else.

they'd rather burn the party to the ground than let bernie or the grassroots continue to have influence

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Eh, but freed of the shackles of the Republicans, in abstract his positions suck. So he's a surrogate for poo poo causes. Also the remaining Hilary people will use him to buoy themselves and they need to drown.

yeah great thats why we dont use him for freaking policy in his post-presidency. his and Michelles job is to deliver barnburners to get our depression-artist base to actually crawl out from under its Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

we need real surrogates, like some Jacobin twitter fuckboi

youngstown, ohio is surely the place have chapo trap house campaigning for us

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

they'd rather burn the party to the ground than let bernie or the grassroots continue to have influence

take a loving xanax jesus christ

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

more or less. Perez seems like a genuinely decent dude but he has like 0 relevant experience for the position and is so clearly being pushed an an assertion of Obama's grip on the party that it just makes no one on that end look good.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i see we're on the manic swing of the thread

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zikan posted:

i see we're on the manic swing of the thread

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why do you think Obama would be a good surrogate for the dems considering what has happened to the party under his watch and that he propped up Hillary Clinton and restored her and her faction to power after one devestating loss already.

Like if he want to fill a cheerleading role, sure, go for it. If he wants to have an actual say in the direction of the party going forward? Uh, no. Absolutely not.

And when you say it the way you did a lot of people are probably thinking you mean the second

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the primary job of the DNC chair is to get blamed for everything that goes wrong

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do you think Obama would be a good surrogate for the dems considering what has happened to the party under his watch and that he propped up Hillary Clinton and restored her and her faction to power after one devestating loss already.

Like if he want to fill a cheerleading role, sure, go for it. If he wants to have an actual say in the direction of the party going forward? Uh, no. Absolutely not.

yeah huh jeez why would a president leaving office with a like 90% approval rating in the party who represents a seminal accomplishment for black americans and who is widely regarded as an inspirational orator be an effective surrogate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jeez man i mean i just dont understand the benefits of keeping this guy aroudn

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

a seminal accomplishment for black americans

yeah just ask trayvon martin or eric garner or anybody in flint

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Considering running on his approval rating just ended in a resounding defeat, I'm going to submit that approval rating doesn't actually mean poo poo

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

yeah huh jeez why would a president leaving office with a like 90% approval rating in the party who represents a seminal accomplishment for black americans and who is widely regarded as an inspirational orator be an effective surrogate

ah but you forget, pr, White Identity Politics über alles

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

yeah just ask trayvon martin or eric garner or anybody in flint

oh my loving god

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For the record

loquacius posted:

It does, but the forums context would make it even better :allears:

Found it

Fun starts here, money shot is on page 1269

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

truthfully, i would much rather Perez run for governor of Maryland like he was planning

I don't know anything about Perez, but Larry Hogan has sky high approval and the sympathy vote. Try again when he's term limited.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Did Bill Clinton have a role after Gore lost? Not being smug, actually curious.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
If the Dems rat gently caress Ellison out of the chair I'm selling my AR and buying a Bow

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

take a loving xanax jesus christ

to be fair icantfindaname seems like the kind of guy who would cheer on greenwood getting burnt to the ground as an early win against neoliberalism

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

many Americans of color face racialized oppression

the conditions of that oppression are always and ever material

only a materialist approach (as currently embodied by the economic justice wing of the party) can combat that oppression

namaste

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I still think the campaign was horribly mismanaged, HOWEVER:

CNN was airing trump rallies live and unedited for over a year, THE on;y way Hillary could even get a second of positive screentime was to mention trump or burn him somehow. The media were not interested at all in talking about policy or accomplishments, just loving emails. Obama had so much help sowing his change narrative as the first black president, but the media had already blown their load on that in the 08 primary, so they all just went to SCANDALWATCH THREAT LEVEL OMEGA. Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

So you did, by surrogate, mean you actually want him to guide the party, not just cheerlead? Because you ae being pretty confusing right now.

Cheerleading good, because high approval and charisma. Yes.
Leading party bad, because he lead the party for the last eight year and lead them into a really loving lovely place, so no.

Like instead of just spewing random nonsense why dont you try actually responding

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

logikv9 posted:

He's still the Libertarian Candidate of my heart

I'd post the stripper guy, but I prefer not to self doxx.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It is important that Obama be a mouthpiece for a party that should by no means listen to his guidance or follow in his footsteps. This will definitely go smoothly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

theflyingexecutive posted:

CNN was airing trump rallies live and unedited for over a year, THE on;y way Hillary could even get a second of positive screentime was to mention trump or burn him somehow. The media were not interested at all in talking about policy or accomplishments, just loving emails. Obama had so much help sowing his change narrative as the first black president, but the media had already blown their load on that in the 08 primary, so they all just went to SCANDALWATCH THREAT LEVEL OMEGA. Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy

Naw.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

obama would be more useful fighting voter suppression on the ground as he said he would with his friends instead of suggest anything to the DNC at this point

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

So you did, by surrogate, mean you actually want him to guide the party, not just cheerlead? Because you ae being pretty confusing right now.

Cheerleading good, because high approval and charisma. Yes.
Leading party bad, because he lead the party for the last eight year and lead them into a really loving lovely place, so no.

Like instead of just spewing random nonsense why dont you try actually responding

im being perfectly coherent, yall just fuckin deranged lmao

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Didn't Obama trash his grassroots organization as soon as he got in office because it was "an unchained tiger?" He seems really poor at getting anyone elected that isn't named Barack Obama.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hillary was definitely facing an uphill battle and should probably not have chosen to treat the campaign like a soap box derby race.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aurubin posted:

Didn't Obama trash his grassroots organization as soon as he got in office because it was "an unchained tiger?" He seems really poor at getting anyone elected that isn't named Barack Obama.

Wild canvassers just knocking on doors asking who knows what of the occupants. Distributing flyers for whoever will provide them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Obama will in all likelyhood go into Elder Statesman of the Party mode from now on, which will include a fair amount of inspirational party cheerleading and speechifying for causes he thinks are good, with only some indirect involvement in party policy around the edges. I suspect he won't want to involve himself too much in the sausage making both from a sense that he's done his bit already on that front (and because Michelle would kill him if they got dragged back into the DC scene again) and also because he doesn't appear to be driven by the same sort of naked ambition and jealous drive to power that the Clintons always have been to one degree or another.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

obama would be more useful fighting voter suppression on the ground as he said he would with his friends instead of suggest anything to the DNC at this point

This, for instance, would be a great thing for him to unleash his rhetorical chops on.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like if you think that obama should be marginalized in the party moving forward youre going to have to make a case to the vast majority of the rest of democratic voters

but i mean its not like people in this thread arent constantly betraying themselves as wannabe vanguardists who are scarcely less elitist than the establishment politicians they constantly rail against

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I'd heard exactly the opposite, that he handed the keys to his organization over to the Clinton campaign. I have no real sources on any of this other than half-recalled posts, though, so I could totally be wrong there.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hoping for Michelle to get fed up with all this political bullshit and drag Barry kicking and screaming into a nice, quiet retirement

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

For the record

Found it

Fun starts here, money shot is on page 1269

As fun as dunking on zoux is, dude has been through some rough, non-election related poo poo the past few months and has anyways abandoned being an obnoxious Hillaryman. Respectfully request amnesty for him.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

like if you think that obama should be marginalized in the party moving forward youre going to have to make a case to the vast majority of the rest of democratic voters

but i mean its not like people in this thread arent constantly betraying themselves as wannabe vanguardists who are scarcely less elitist than the establishment politicians they constantly rail against
i'm not suggesting "shitcan obama now!!!" considering we're going to have a president who'll be an unmitigated disaster for anyone with more than one functional brain cell, obama will be as well regarded as bill clinton is soon enough

too early to tell if obama wants to give progressives a chance, i mean perez ain't a bad guy but realpolitik is functionally dead as a concept and people in general should stop trying to push that in this party

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, zous is a dumbass but hes definitely not in mock-forever-and-ever territory imo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
obama is really, really, really popular.

probably a bad idea to burn that bridge.

• Locked thread