Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Wasn't it also implied later on that they had limited expectation that there would be any chance the kids survived and yet were just 100 people less to feed/breathe etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spiteski posted:

Wasn't it also implied later on that they had limited expectation that there would be any chance the kids survived and yet were just 100 people less to feed/breathe etc?

Yeah. Even if it didn't work, they delayed the oxygen and food running out by a month or two.

And like someone else said, they only had so many ships that could go back, so using one on 300 people that at that point they were almost positive wouldn't make it anyways was a waste.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah but there's limited means of getting people down there.

Yeah, the key would've been "way to get down there", though I'd have probably assumed at some point that if their grand plan was to test the surface with the 100 kids first and then migrate down if that was successful, probably someone on board the ship would've suggested having more than one ship capable of carrying people to the Earth in lieu of the breaking the station apart thing they did later on to send EVERYONE down.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

xeria posted:

Yeah, the key would've been "way to get down there", though I'd have probably assumed at some point that if their grand plan was to test the surface with the 100 kids first and then migrate down if that was successful, probably someone on board the ship would've suggested having more than one ship capable of carrying people to the Earth in lieu of the breaking the station apart thing they did later on to send EVERYONE down.

They had a large dropship/HLV or something like that suitable for the job, but it got destroyed in the rebellion when the rebelling group tried to steal it to go to the surface and leave the rest to die. Breaking the station was a last resort after that happened.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

They had batteries of escape pods just waiting to take people to the surface. All they had to do was remove the nuclear warhead and they had themselves some sweet little lifeboats.

Or just take all the warheads to Earth, what could possibly go wrong?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Zebulon posted:

They had a large dropship/HLV or something like that suitable for the job, but it got destroyed in the rebellion when the rebelling group tried to steal it to go to the surface and leave the rest to die. Breaking the station was a last resort after that happened.

There were other dropships too (we see like 8 or so separating from the GoSci ring when Jaha's looking at a computer animation of "Project Exodus", plus they repeatedly refer to it as the "first dropship" in dialogue before everything goes to hell), but presumably the docking structures were so damaged by the ship's improper separation procedure that they were rendered unusable.

jfood posted:

They had batteries of escape pods just waiting to take people to the surface. All they had to do was remove the nuclear warhead and they had themselves some sweet little lifeboats.

Or just take all the warheads to Earth, what could possibly go wrong?

I agree that it was ridiculous that in 97 years, nobody thought about using the nuclear missiles as shuttles until Jaha came up with it in like one hour when he got desperate. Also that no one thought about the possibility of using the Ark Stations as dropships, even as a last ditch emergency plan, until Jaha had his ephiphany moment. Seriously, what the hell has the Ark's engineering department been doing all of this time?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Probably non stop maintenance on their life support systems.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably non stop maintenance on their life support systems.

Pretty much. No way in hell those stations were meant to be hanging around in orbit with no new supplies from Earth for over a century.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

INH5 posted:

I agree that it was ridiculous that in 97 years, nobody thought about using the nuclear missiles as shuttles until Jaha came up with it in like one hour when he got desperate. Also that no one thought about the possibility of using the Ark Stations as dropships, even as a last ditch emergency plan, until Jaha had his ephiphany moment. Seriously, what the hell has the Ark's engineering department been doing all of this time?

Maybe they thought of it, and dismissed it as utterly stupid. Jaha didn't come up with it, so much as decide 'we're screwed either way' and took the option that provided even a remote chance of success, rather than dying in atmosphere.

Remember, these guys are living on cobbled-together space 'stations,' maintenance intensive, no regular supply runs from Earth, in vacuum. Their attitudes would very quickly move to ultra-conservative, in the engineering sense of the word. It wouldn't be 'measure twice, cut once;' it would be 'measure ten times, cut once.' They wouldn't get do-overs, second chances, reload the save file, nothing like that.

The Arks would have been designed, by the way, to purposefully break up and disintegrate on atmospheric reentry, thanks to SkyLab.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zebulon posted:

Pretty much. No way in hell those stations were meant to be hanging around in orbit with no new supplies from Earth for over a century.

That's why they stopped fighting and merged together... keep up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

INH5 posted:

There were other dropships too (we see like 8 or so separating from the GoSci ring when Jaha's looking at a computer animation of "Project Exodus", plus they repeatedly refer to it as the "first dropship" in dialogue before everything goes to hell), but presumably the docking structures were so damaged by the ship's improper separation procedure that they were rendered unusable.

Uh, dude, it's not like "let's ride our nuclear missiles as shuttles" can ever come across as non-insane. Jaha did it because he was going insane.

Same with the Ark Stations. Did you notice how the vast majority of the residents died on the way down to the planet, and only two stations out of twelve survived?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

INH5 posted:

they said multiple times they only had two dropships. There are whole scenes devoted to them discussing that the 100 took the first dropship and the second dropship could only rescue so many people, and it was a huge point of contention with the Ark council over what to do with their second, and last, dropship. It was pretty clearly laid out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They had a bunch of drop ships, one left, the mutiny took out one and access to others.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

They had a bunch of drop ships, one left, the mutiny took out one and access to others.

It's been awhile since I watched season 1 and the wiki confirmed what you said.

quote:

"There are 2,237 people on this Ark and there are only enough dropships to carry 700. We are on the Titanic and there aren't enough lifeboats."

I think I parsed that into thinking that the one dropship that was stolen and crashed had the capacity for 700 and didn't realize there were 8 ships x 100 capacity and the second ships damage to the ark somehow broke the other six.

Makes sense now.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

Uh, dude, it's not like "let's ride our nuclear missiles as shuttles" can ever come across as non-insane. Jaha did it because he was going insane.

Excuse me? No seriously, loving excuse me? I think history has proven the good chancellor correct, humanity is doomed and life in the magic computer kingdom was the only option. Jaha, like Pike and Clarke before him, did nothing wrong.

Was Jaha insane, or is this just another good ol'fashioned tviv hating on strong black men...

Yea, I think we know the answer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

Same with the Ark Stations. Did you notice how the vast majority of the residents died on the way down to the planet, and only two stations out of twelve survived?

Only two stations we know of. They haven't confirmed the destruction of all the others yet.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rhyno posted:

Only two stations we know of. They haven't confirmed the destruction of all the others yet.

Three. The one Abby and Kane were on, the one they made into Arkadia, and the one Monty's mum and Pike were on.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

jfood posted:

Excuse me? No seriously, loving excuse me? I think history has proven the good chancellor correct, humanity is doomed and life in the magic computer kingdom was the only option. Jaha, like Pike and Clarke before him, did nothing wrong.

Was Jaha insane, or is this just another good ol'fashioned tviv hating on strong black men...

Yea, I think we know the answer.

I'm pretty sure in this case, they meant he was literally going insane from oxygen deprivation and hallucinating his dead son.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I'm pretty sure in this case, they meant he was literally going insane from oxygen deprivation and hallucinating his dead son.

Not even his dead son. He was hallucinating a drat toddler. Unless the toddler was also supposed to be his son I guess. Or was it his son AND the toddler? Because I distinctly remember him being at peace with staying up in space and dying until he hears the cries of a small child and decides to try and find it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Zebulon posted:

Not even his dead son. He was hallucinating a drat toddler. Unless the toddler was also supposed to be his son I guess. Or was it his son AND the toddler? Because I distinctly remember him being at peace with staying up in space and dying until he hears the cries of a small child and decides to try and find it.

Apparently I can't remember things at all from the show so I'm the perfect authority to be speaking on it now.

That toddler was Albert Einstein.

(Actually I think his son appeared to him directly after that so I always assumed the toddler was his son.)

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Spergatory posted:

Lack of oxygen or hearing the voice of God?

Think about it!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finished the first season. Nice leap in logic there, stir frying tons and tons of people with hydrazine is A-OK, but stabbing the insane leader woman is not. Also, can't wait to see all the mental/plot gymnastics that keep Murphy alive going forward.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 8, 2016

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Murphy is my favourite character on the show followed closely by Lincoln and Lexa. His is the only character that doesn't have big huge u turns in drive and logic to suit the story.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Point is, he's an insane homicidal idiot, with a huge chip on his shoulder, that killed a couple of people, tried get more capped, and is likely do both some more over the following seasons. But for some reason, he still doesn't end up with a bullet in his head, likely because Clarke does some more "Hurrrr, we ain't like that!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
spoilers; pretty much everyone becomes way worse than murphy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Murphy is the real hero of the show.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Clarke needs Murphy. One day she's gonna need to hang up her genocidal hat and Murphy's about the only one fit to carry that torch. Maybe not carry... more like drop in a hut full of sleeping grounder children, but you get the point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aww this is cute, we got ourselves a new hate-watcher! :)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Point is, he's an insane homicidal idiot, with a huge chip on his shoulder, that killed a couple of people, tried get more capped, and is likely do both some more over the following seasons. But for some reason, he still doesn't end up with a bullet in his head, likely because Clarke does some more "Hurrrr, we ain't like that!"

You're right to be worried, this is how like every character other than Murphy is handled. Murphy is written well for some reason though.

Spiteski posted:

Murphy is my favourite character on the show followed closely by Lincoln and Lexa. His is the only character that doesn't have big huge u turns in drive and logic to suit the story.

This is basically true and a decent character list. Too bad this show seems to enjoy killing off fun characters in favour of some good old fashioned brooding ones

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

This show just appeared on Netflix here. I am just watching the first episode. This supposed to become good eventually? All I see right now are a bunch of teen retards.

I just started this on Netflix as well. I think I'm on episode 5 right now. A bunch of people on the Ark just sacrificed themselves to save oxygen minutes before the mom saw the rockets from earth that were meant to signify that those people didn't need to die and a little girl threw herself off of a cliff in the previous episode.

There are some things that don't make a lot of sense to me at this point, like the wrist bands. Why was it so hard for the adults to figure out they were taking them off? I'm pretty sure even modern day ankle-monitors can tell the difference between their host dying versus just taking them off. Also did no one think to send a radio down with one of them - maybe a more trusted member of the 100 - or even an adult who was willing to go to earth with them, so they could communicate stuff like this to the Ark? It could have been kept secret or something and they would have been able to tell the council "hey these clowns aren't actually dying." This whole scenario just seems really poorly thought out on the adult's part.

Anyway this show so far is good if you like watching a bunch of teenagers try to murder each other. I heard it gets better so I'll stick with it. I really wanted to start a new post-apocalypse show and this one isn't terrible so far. It's more interesting than most of the other shows I'm currently watching.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've started season 2 and it already starts "interesting". I'm not sure I should spoiler it or not for Acacia REI, but better safe than sorry... The parents are there and immediately being meddling know-it-all assholes, Bellami ends up in cuffs, maybe deservedly, but Murphy's running around free, despite the accusations. And the Mount Weather people seem to have a vampire or Soylent Green type of deal going, judging this transfusion thing on the nurse the first (or second --edit: Haven't seen ep.2 yet) episode, which is kind of trope-ish for a scifi series.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 13, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Acacia REI posted:

I just started this on Netflix as well. I think I'm on episode 5 right now. A bunch of people on the Ark just sacrificed themselves to save oxygen minutes before the mom saw the rockets from earth that were meant to signify that those people didn't need to die and a little girl threw herself off of a cliff in the previous episode.

There are some things that don't make a lot of sense to me at this point, like the wrist bands. Why was it so hard for the adults to figure out they were taking them off? I'm pretty sure even modern day ankle-monitors can tell the difference between their host dying versus just taking them off. Also did no one think to send a radio down with one of them - maybe a more trusted member of the 100 - or even an adult who was willing to go to earth with them, so they could communicate stuff like this to the Ark? It could have been kept secret or something and they would have been able to tell the council "hey these clowns aren't actually dying." This whole scenario just seems really poorly thought out on the adult's part.

Anyway this show so far is good if you like watching a bunch of teenagers try to murder each other. I heard it gets better so I'll stick with it. I really wanted to start a new post-apocalypse show and this one isn't terrible so far. It's more interesting than most of the other shows I'm currently watching.

Bellamy broke their radio.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Okay that makes much more sense. I remember him breaking Raven's radio when she came down but I didn't remember there being one in the pilot episode. I watched the first 3 episodes between 1 and 3 am so I probably forgot a couple key moments.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've started season 2 and it already starts "interesting". I'm not sure I should spoiler it or not for Acacia REI, but better safe than sorry... The parents are there and immediately being meddling know-it-all assholes, Bellami ends up in cuffs, maybe deservedly, but Murphy's running around free, despite the accusations. And the Mount Weather people seem to have a vampire or Soylent Green type of deal going, judging this transfusion thing on the nurse the first (or second --edit: Haven't seen ep.2 yet) episode, which is kind of trope-ish for a scifi series.
I don't mind spoilers, sometimes it gives me something to look forward to if I'm not particularly particularly impressed with what I'm currently seeing (but it's already getting better).

So it's gonna be an "adults ruin everything" type show?

And does Jasper ever get his goggles back?

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 13, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Acacia REI posted:

So it's gonna be an "adults ruin everything" type show?

nope :)

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Thank god, that would have been really annoying.

Also lol @ the acid fog or whatever it is only burning flesh but literally nothing else.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Acacia REI posted:

Also lol @ the acid fog or whatever it is only burning flesh but literally nothing else.

I's a pretty soft sci fi, if stuff like that bothers you, you're not long for this series

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Nah, stuff like that won't turn me off to a series. I like The Walking Dead and that show's chocked full of stupid poo poo. If I like the overall concept of a show enough and it doesn't bore me I'll stick with it. :downs:

But I'll still laugh at things like acid fog that only burns flesh and armband devices that are less functional than 20th century ankle monitors.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Acacia REI posted:

Actually, the crash knocked out their radio the first time, not Bellamy. The rockets fired late upon reentry, resulting in impact knocking a bunch of stuff offline. Remember that; it comes up later. :eng101:

And the wrist monitor thing is actually a huge plot point in the first few episodes. When the monitors start going out, Clarke's mom tries to tell everyone that it doesn't look like they are dying because their vitals aren't indicating pain or distress, but nobody listens to her because A. they all pretty much expected the kids to die anyway, and B. they have their own poo poo to worry about. It doesn't help that because of the fog and Bellamy's shenanigans, their vitals do eventually start showing signs of pain and distress shortly before Monty :science:'s all the wrist monitors to death by accident.

One thing I like about the show is that generally speaking, people do tend to behave with some rationality and bring up reasonable objections to things. The science might not be great, but the human behavior thing is pretty spot-on for the most part.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Spergatory posted:

One thing I like about the show is that generally speaking, people do tend to behave with some rationality and bring up reasonable objections to things. The science might not be great, but the human behavior thing is pretty spot-on for the most part.

Can't wait for the new watchers to get to Jaha's Wild Ride :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Can't wait for the new watchers to get to Jaha's Wild Ride :getin:

Jaha in general has had a crazy rear end character arc from the beginning of season 2 on.

• Locked thread