Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Taffer posted:

considering how loudly everyone is screaming about this i expect it'll be added within a couple days

valve not only never made grid view the default for hero select (as it always should have been) but never even put in the option for you to set it as default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You guys are insane. Monkey King is as good as a farmed undying with mobility items. He can't carry, seems like he's completely irrelevant at like 40 minutes in even with an insane amount of farm. He's a great team fighter, initiator, and clean up, though.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

valve not only never made grid view the default for hero select (as it always should have been) but never even put in the option for you to set it as default.
Well, good news, now it is the only option. (Even for modes where the card view sort of made sense like SD.) And they fixed the sorting to make sense to people who haven't played Dota 2 since 2012.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

congrats to Kevin "Purge" Godec on ASMR fetish fame https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5ib86b/purges_patch_notes_video_got_posted_in_the_asmr/

e: also, dotapit season 5 ATN vs OG (lol) http://twitch.tv/dotapit OG is using Yapzor and Trixi as standins

I wish we could go back to pre 7.00 and that someone could come from the future and say the next dota patch from purge will last longer than a drive from lands end to john o' groats

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Incoherence posted:

Well, good news, now it is the only option. (Even for modes where the card view sort of made sense like SD.) And they fixed the sorting to make sense to people who haven't played Dota 2 since 2012.

*does the arsenio hall thing but saying "woot" instead*

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Andrast posted:

How does not getting along with Artour make ppd the problem? At least they actually managed to win stuff with him captaining.

being completely unlikable makes it hard to stay on teams, even if you draft real good

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Why is DC in China? I don't see them on the WCA team list or anything else

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

emdash posted:

Why is DC in China? I don't see them on the WCA team list or anything else

They are in this tournament I have never heard of http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/China_Top/2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bonnono posted:

They are in this tournament I have never heard of http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/China_Top/2016

oh. Well that explains this then:
https://twitter.com/MoonMeanderated/status/809105834869329920

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Up Circle posted:

being completely unlikable makes it hard to stay on teams, even if you draft real good

But Artour doesn't even draft real good?

96 spacejam posted:

https://www.monsterenergy.com/evil-genius/the-rise-of-an-evil-genius

i guess it's no surprise that ppd was the problem but lets promote this man to CEO anyways

:lol: at this post

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Up Circle posted:

ppd was on EG for a long-rear end time with some players playing with him for years so obviously he can't be that terrible especially considering EG was one the most stable dota 2 teams roster wise with him.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
it is truly a shame that AFs win at the Boylston major, and the actions of the vile villan Macine, will all be forgotten in the dota 7 haze.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chair In A Basket posted:

it is truly a shame that AFs win at the Boylston major, and the actions of the vile villan Macine, will all be forgotten in the dota 7 haze.

great now fake news is invading dota2

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ZionestLord posted:

pretty cool how that's not even remotely close to true ?

its a large aoe spell that lets the hero what cast it right click enemies in an aoe unless they leave that aoe, which is what rikis is also. except that monkey king can still use his regular right click and also his spells and also its bigger and also it gives more free bonus damage and i think lasts longer?

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Ojetor posted:

Observer wards. Place them on high ground. I don't think the issue with MK is vision at all, but rather every other thing. He's a ridiculously strong laner that later on runs around blowing up people instantly. He's Ursa except he doesn't fall off and has actual utility: a huge range stun, a decent mobility skill and giant aoe ult that will destroy anyone unfortunate enough to get caught in it.

His only real weakness is that he does have some problems actually finishing games since he can't siege well, much like Ursa.

All the rest of his abilities can be scaled, so at the moment i consider them completely broke, but things that can be scaled with patches to reduce damage or crit or whatever.

The wards thing is great, but only in the areas where you can place elevated wards. So, two places in each side jungle. Any fight that happens outside of that, or in lane most importantly, you won't have vision unless you have a hero scouting with flying. Versus say Riki or Bounty, you just drop sentries to protect yourself. With Monkey you don't really have that defense.

Not saying it can't be changed, but I think its broken at the idea level, instead of just needing stats tweaked. Also the fact it gives him flying vision as well. All the cool pro plays where you juked people through the trees and escaped to TP out, or dodge an opponent's vision to pull out a kill by a hair's breadth. He defeats that. Just keep scouting along waiting to ambush the split push or keep people from ambushing you. The flexibility of information it provides is similar to Nightstalker's Aghs. That's my problem with it.

Rest of the stuff you can fix with tweaks to numbers, but getting the equivalent of a 3 second blink, invisibility when on a tree, chasing potential, and flying vision ala Nightstalker Aghs is a bit much to me in one skill. Its cool, but it needs a review. Or, it has a weakness I haven't seen yet. And I don't think merely cutting down his tree is it yet.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Andrast posted:

ppd was on EG for a long-rear end time with some players playing with him for years so obviously he can't be that terrible especially considering EG was one the most stable dota 2 teams roster wise with him.

like zai and universe right

arteezy??

aui probably isn't a big fan of him, not that aui got to vote him off or anything mason too but lol at mason

this thread always acts so confounded that ppd isn't playing for eg still

idgi whats he good at besides drafting??

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mikeraskol posted:

I think you're overrating this a little bit. It's very good if the enemy has no idea where you are, but if they do they are going to cut down your tree, stun you for 4 seconds and you are dead. It's also not a free blink, it goes on CD when you take damage from a hero.

It's a fairly strong initiation/gank tool when you are coming at an enemy out of nowhere, it's a pretty bad escape tool.

Edit: In the low 3k bracket where I reside people have already adapted to the hero and Tree Jumping around can be very very dangerous.

The one way in which tree jump is unequivocally amazing (and nearly unique) is being able to jump => E as soon as you hit the tree for close to a 2000 range blink as long as there is a tree in the middle. Obviously it's not instantanous movement but if you see a gank coming you can get the gently caress out of dodge very quickly, especially since after using E you can jump up into another tree fairly soon for a sweet 3000 units of movement in ~1.5-2 seconds.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Up Circle posted:

arteezy??

aui probably isn't a big fan of him, not that aui got to vote him off or anything mason too but lol at mason

Being the heel and :salt:.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Up Circle posted:

arteezy??

If players leaving a team means that the captain is bad then literally every single captain in pro dota is awful. If he is so awful to play with how did he keep EG going as a stable strong team for a long-rear end time when the average age for a dota team is like three months?

Most of the players you listed played with him for like years which is loving forever in pro dota.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 14, 2016

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
The changes to levelling up need to tweaked.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Andrast posted:

If players leaving a team means that the captain is bad then literally every single captain in pro dota is awful. If he is so awful to play with how did he keep EG going as a stable strong team for a long-rear end time when the average age for a dota team is like three months?

Most of the players you listed played with him for like years which is loving forever in pro dota.

PPD was the best player on EG.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Don't get me wrong, ppd was fine at what he did: drafting, presumably calling the shots in-game, and taking up a near-zero amount of farm so that any contribution he made was a big plus. He still got bumped so that the current "goon squad" could have a shot under the EG name, and the rumor (that has never been soundly debunked afaik) is that he was voted out. It's implausible that this had to do with results, leaving chemistry the big remaining factor.

Results don't fix bad chemistry long-term. You can put up with bad chemistry for good results for a bit (see: win TI5 then kick Aui). You can ruin good chemistry with bad results (I worry this may be happening with EG completely unable to touch OG in four straight series). But there are no examples of winning, even on the biggest stage, causing a team that has chemistry problems to stay together. In fact teams consistently win big and then shuffle anyway. People should not be surprised by it

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 14, 2016

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Up Circle posted:

arteezy??

playing a position 9 support while still being relevant to the game

e yeah ^^^^ shotcalling too

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

There is some serious revisionist history and theorizing based on no information going on in this thread at the moment

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

*Leads team to three straight top three TI finishes, including one win*

IDGI what does he do?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

emdash posted:

Don't get me wrong, ppd was fine at what he did: drafting, presumably calling the shots in-game, and taking up a near-zero amount of farm so that any contribution he made was a big plus. He still got bumped so that the current "goon squad" could have a shot under the EG name, and the rumor (that has never been soundly debunked afaik) is that he was voted out. It's implausible that this had to do with results, leaving chemistry the big remaining factor.

Results don't fix bad chemistry long-term. You can put up with bad chemistry for good results for a bit (see: win TI5 then kick Aui). You can ruin good chemistry with bad results (I worry this may be happening with EG completely unable to touch OG in four straight series). But there are no examples of winning, even on the biggest stage, causing a team that has chemistry problems to stay together. In fact the opposite happens constantly. People should not be surprised by it

Sure. It's pretty likely that ppd as voted out or left because of team chemistry reasons but that doesn't mean it's his (or anyone else's) fault like some people love proclaiming.

Sometimes team chemistry just doesn't work and/or the players want to try something different but that doesn't mean it's anyone's fault.

rtz still isn't winning a valve event though.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

mikeraskol posted:

IDGI what does he do?

Some of it no doubt goes back to what I posted about people overvaluing cores and undervaluing supports. PPD doesn't get the Big Frags and the Big Farm.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Up Circle posted:

arteezy??

aui is playing with Envy again despite like 100% of Cloud 9 so let's not get too hasty.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I think you have to play support to be a good captain. As a carry you have to focus on maximizing your farm and not getting ganked.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

I think you have to play support to be a good captain. As a carry you have to focus on maximizing your farm and not getting ganked.

I think EE has actually been doing very good as a captain despite being a high impact (whether its impact for him or other team :clown9:) core.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Support is a thankless loving job, I tell you what.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://gfycat.com/DizzyFatherlyFireant

why

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 14, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I agree. Why?

Why are you posting a massive image about a bug with a UI they are patching four times a day that will obviously be fixed as soon as its identified?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Andrast posted:

is that a stat

can you back up that terrible stat

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

mikeraskol posted:

IDGI what does he do?

yeah but like, so did puppey, and look at him now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This sun wukong guy needs about -70 attack speed

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

IDGI what does he do?

this is what i mean

he had 4 great players on his teams every year

puppey did the same thing

no team has stayed relevant after winning ti, why would it be that crazy for them to rebuild the roster

no offense meant, since ppd means alot to you, but he was the weakest player on the team every time, even if he was the best drafter and probably the shotcaller in game too

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Up Circle posted:

no team has stayed relevant after winning ti
um what about NaVi lol

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Up Circle posted:

this is what i mean

he had 4 great players on his teams every year

puppey did the same thing

no team has stayed relevant after winning ti, why would it be that crazy for them to rebuild the roster

no offense meant, since ppd means alot to you, but he was the weakest player on the team every team, even if he was the best drafter and probably the shotcaller in game too

Nobody is saying it's crazy to rebuild the roster. Frankly I don't even know what your point is anymore.

My only two points were that (i) to take a quote from an article where PPD says there were issues between him and Artour and say that means it was PPD's fault shows brain damage, and (ii) saying you don't know what PPD did for EG also demonstrates some sort of cognitive problem.

It doesn't matter how good your other 4 are, you aren't getting top 3 or winning a TI without being a world class player at whatever your role was. For PPD it was drafting, shot calling and enabling greedy lineups by playing poverty support yet still having an impact. It's weird to me that you say "even if he was the best drafter and probably the shotcaller in game too." That's really loving important, a team can't work without that even if you have the best player at every other position.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the risk-free aoe stun with a long enough duration to walk up and get a shitload of damage off is pretty obnoxious

Kinda wish coldtoad went full-bore with the mischief gimmick, instead of rounding him out

• Locked thread