Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
buddy..........IT'S CALLED ECONOMICS. Soccer is a business. Your favorite club is not playing soccer because they want to entertain you. They play because the owners want to make money. Owning a soccer franchise is no different than owning a restaurant franchise. It's not "sickening". The best way to make money as a sports franchise is to have a winning team, and the best way to have a winning team is to have good players. Players and managers are paid what they are worth. When you hear of giant contracts, the players are being paid exactly what they deserve. I am an American NBA fan. LeBron James makes $31 million this season. He is worth every penny. Why? Because he brings in a gently caress ton more money than $31 million. Yes, professional athletes are paid a lot. They deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

They play because the owners want to make money.
Oh man is this guy in for a rude surprise

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I am so sorry this country exists.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

For those who don't know, these are supporters of a club that has literally only existed for two years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

For those who don't know, these are supporters of a club that has literally only existed for two years.
And is a glorified C team for Manchester City.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Owned by gazillionaire oil sheiks.

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely
Playing in a baseball stadium that cost a whole lot of money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kolarov having one of the highest scores lol

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/808311258118287360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lol

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUSA/status/808677565376274432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh man is this guy in for a rude surprise

Whatever. Replace make money with launder money in some cases. He is still right.

Andnook
Mar 10, 2005

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

this was all over the news obs, and i wish i was at the gathering of old white men who came up with these great ideas

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jesus Christ.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

This would work for me too tbh

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

The Big Taff Man posted:

This would work for me too tbh

Most of them aren't even that ridiculous.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

fat gay nonce posted:

Most of them aren't even that ridiculous.

Like the middle two are absolutely fine (and should be incorporated across the board really, no-one wants a smelly bib and gently caress playing in -5c sleet), it's the "i.e. coffee shops/on the back of toilet doors" that gets me, because clearly only girls like a coffee or a poo poo.

The last one is just ridiculous.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Here's the full report

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/pdf/womens/attracting-new-girls-and-women-into-football2.ashx?la=en

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jesus Christ they are either ridiculously daft or obviously trolling

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

"Have a variety of different balls in your bag and let the girls choose which one to use"

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
It can't be real

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had to have a belly laugh at the posts from blogs and websites getting giddy that Pep Guardiola, when asked about my MirrorFootball column, looked puzzled and asked: "Stan Collymore?”

They’ve had a field day, gleefully saying “he doesn’t know who you are etc” which, bearing in mind most of these journalists wouldn’t be recognised in their own front room, makes it even funnier.

If Pep doesn’t know who I am, that’s absolutely fine, all he needs to do is watch Sky Sports, there’s usually the 4-3 game (Liverpool vs Newcastle, 1996) on, or used in an advert.

Maybe he could give the former manager of his current club, Stuart Pearce, a call and ask him about who Nottingham Forest’s greatest 11 is, managed by a true great of the game, rather than one spoon fed lots of cash to get success.

Or ask Robbie Fowler, Liverpool legend, and someone I’m sure Pep knows the name of, who his best strike partner was amongst Owen, Rush, Viduka, Shearer, Cole et al.

And to all of those bloggers and journos laughing in Pep’s press conference today at my expense, I’ve won awards in YOUR industry and have a 15-year playing career to back it up.

If Pep genuinely dismisses me, just imagine what he thinks of you!

I’m comfortable not being known by Pep - Brian Clough knew who I was and rated me highly.

He was a double European Cup winner who did it from scratch, not from an Abu Dhabi or Qatar silver spoon.

I’ll make sure I state my name, National Union of Journalists' number and full address when I’m next at the Etihad, just in case Pep, just in case.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/its-fine-pep-guardiola-doesnt-9452252

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

holy poo poo what a meltdown

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

It can't be real
Well you'd think so, but this is England we're talking about...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I legit think it's them trolling which is hosed up but mildly amusing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

Jesus Christ they are either ridiculously daft or obviously trolling
"The word ‘sport’ and its traditional image can trigger negative associations for many women. Address this by considering how you present the experience women will have."

"Soccercise is an instructor led aerobic exercise or circuit class, typically lasting 45 – 60 mins in length. It can be delivered indoors or outdoors and combines a variety of fitness exercises with a football."

"Play music alongside participation. You could allow the group to choose their own playlist (as long as it’s suitable!)"

"Allow girls the time to check their phones within a session or incorporate a twitter break so participants can tweet about the session"

"Based on the idea that women like to exercise together, consider targeting existing groups of women i.e. gym classes/mother and daughter groups"

"Slogan Suggestion: Keep calm and play football"

oh my god this is too good to be true

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Well you'd think so, but this is England we're talking about...

COME ON OUR GIRL_S

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

It can't be real

I'm assuming that they gave a marketing company a pile of money to come up with a strategy for making the game more appealing to women, and that's what the marketing company shat out. And of course the FA just distributed it on its letterhead because they're incompetent.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

abuse culture. posted:

COME ON OUR GIRL_S
Meanwhile there are banners in a bunch of academies that all say COME ON OUR BOYS

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I'm assuming that they gave a marketing company a pile of money to come up with a strategy for making the game more appealing to women, and that's what the marketing company shat out. And of course the FA just distributed it on its letterhead because they're incompetent.

It seems like someone wrote the report in good faith and then thought, "I'm going to insert some crazy poo poo to prove no one reads these things."

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

EvilHawk posted:

it's the "i.e. coffee shops/on the back of toilet doors" that gets me, because clearly only girls like a coffee or a poo poo.

To be fair, bathroom stall ads are just the women's equivalent of the ones above urinals, it's not crazy to advertise poo poo in the washroom

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of this reminds me of parents giving me their helpful teaching tips which demonstrated they had no idea about kids in general, and specifically their own kids.

imagine going up to a girl's team trainer and telling them maybe they should use pink bibs and twitter breaks?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sure millions of women were sitting around thinking "Wow I'd sure love to play football, if only they offered me a pink lanyard for showing up three times"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

I'm sure millions of women were sitting around thinking "Wow I'd sure love to play football, if only they offered me a pink lanyard for showing up three times"

The ones that want to play football already do.

It's about tricking other ones into it to bump up numbers for diversity quotas.

I recommend more focus on the shoes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sassassin posted:

Right thread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

how could there possibly be more focus on boots than there already is?

LOL at all your shite-house fuckers playing co-ed wearing $100 plus boots in neon colours, basically anything that ain't addidas world cups or puma kings shows you to be a massive tool

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

how could there possibly be more focus on boots than there already is?

LOL at all your shite-house fuckers playing co-ed wearing $100 plus boots in neon colours, basically anything that ain't addidas world cups or puma kings shows you to be a massive tool

The cheapest boots are usually pretty brightly colored, at least here in the US.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
see now all we have to do is have this conversation about football shoes around some girls and they'll be sure to want to play

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
shut the gently caress up and post some terrible football related poo poo

https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/status/808788049769406465

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/rogueone/espn-fc-football-rogues?ex_cid=espntw&sf46890726=1#header

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

JFairfax posted:

I had to have a belly laugh at the posts from blogs and websites getting giddy that Pep Guardiola, when asked about my MirrorFootball column, looked puzzled and asked: "Stan Collymore?”

They’ve had a field day, gleefully saying “he doesn’t know who you are etc” which, bearing in mind most of these journalists wouldn’t be recognised in their own front room, makes it even funnier.

If Pep doesn’t know who I am, that’s absolutely fine, all he needs to do is watch Sky Sports, there’s usually the 4-3 game (Liverpool vs Newcastle, 1996) on, or used in an advert.

Maybe he could give the former manager of his current club, Stuart Pearce, a call and ask him about who Nottingham Forest’s greatest 11 is, managed by a true great of the game, rather than one spoon fed lots of cash to get success.

Or ask Robbie Fowler, Liverpool legend, and someone I’m sure Pep knows the name of, who his best strike partner was amongst Owen, Rush, Viduka, Shearer, Cole et al.

And to all of those bloggers and journos laughing in Pep’s press conference today at my expense, I’ve won awards in YOUR industry and have a 15-year playing career to back it up.

If Pep genuinely dismisses me, just imagine what he thinks of you!

I’m comfortable not being known by Pep - Brian Clough knew who I was and rated me highly.

He was a double European Cup winner who did it from scratch, not from an Abu Dhabi or Qatar silver spoon.

I’ll make sure I state my name, National Union of Journalists' number and full address when I’m next at the Etihad, just in case Pep, just in case.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/its-fine-pep-guardiola-doesnt-9452252

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!"